• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Damn, I really enjoyed Honest Hearts more than I thought I would. Gonna start up Dead Money soon, I think.

Love this game, love the DLC, Obsidian just really turned me around on this 'style' and I eagerly await whatever comes next.

I know this is the New Vegas thread, but I didn't feel my question warranted another a new topic.

I'm currently on a single player shooter/story genre fix. I've replayed Vanquish, done the Reach campaign, and played through Bioshock 1 for the first time. I loved Bioshock's story and exploration, however I found the guns/shooter-element particularly weak and it tainted the experience quite a bit. I wasn't a massive fan of Oblivion, though I thoroughly enjoyed the concept - again, I found the combat rather shit and there wasn't much 'motivation' to continue with the game once I had seen the same oblivion gate, dungeon and village for the 10th time. There were differences of course, but unlike Bioshock, the scenery was dull and many areas felt bland.

All of this considered, what would you guys/girls recommend: Fallout 3 GOTY or New Vegas. I can grab both quite cheap at the moment - and I'm looking for a time waster until Skyrim, BF3 and Halo Anniversary take over my free time.

I've watched some videos of Fallout 3 GOTY and thought that much like Oblivion, the character customization/design was ugly, and the weapons looked a bit generic. That said, the environment and vaults looked quite interesting. So GAF, what do you recommend?

klee123

Honest hearts was fun, but overall, I still reckon Point Lookout is the best open world dlc.

I know Obsidian is striving for consistency, but I thought Point Lookout offered something radically new in terms of looks and setting.

I actually preferred Dead Money in this regard too.

Aaron

Stripper13 said:
All of this considered, what would you guys/girls recommend: Fallout 3 GOTY or New Vegas. I can grab both quite cheap at the moment - and I'm looking for a time waster until Skyrim, BF3 and Halo Anniversary take over my free time.
Get both on PC and combine them into one massive game using the Requiem for a Wasteland mod. I did this over the weekend and impressed how well it worked. You can freely move between games with the same character, keeping all the same equipment, experience, and even companions. Definitely the best way to play if you're coming to it late.

Dead Man

Aaron said:
Get both on PC and combine them into one massive game using the Requiem for a Wasteland mod. I did this over the weekend and impressed how well it worked. You can freely move between games with the same character, keeping all the same equipment, experience, and even companions. Definitely the best way to play if you're coming to it late.
Damn, just looked that up, it sounds awesome. Why would anyone buy these games on anything other than PC? Makes no sense.

FTH said:
New Vegas

$20 on Amazon you can't go wrong.
I live in Australia and intend to pick one of the games up today or tomorrow. It's looking as though it will cost me $40 AUD for either. So it's more a question of which one has better shooting mechanics and customization and/or exploration.

Lothars

Stripper13 said:
I live on Australia and intend to pick one of the games up today or tomorrow. It's looking as though it will cost me $40 AUD for either. So it's more a question of which one has better shooting mechanics and customization and/or exploration.

I would go Fallout 3 GOTY because it has all the DLC than in a years time or whenever pick up new vegas GOTY and get it with all the DLC.

Echoplx

Stripper13 said:
I live on Australia and intend to pick one of the games up today or tomorrow. It's looking as though it will cost me $40 AUD for either. So it's more a question of which one has better shooting mechanics and customization and/or exploration.

New Vegas.

Aaron said:
Not an option unfortunately. Can only play it on 360/PS3 (preferably 360) for the forseeable future.

Gvaz

Banned
Stripper13 said:
I live in Australia and intend to pick one of the games up today or tomorrow. It's looking as though it will cost me $40 AUD for either. So it's more a question of which one has better shooting mechanics and customization and/or exploration.
New Vegas is the better game with decent DLC, though FO3 has more DLC (arguably mediocre dlc however).

I personally would choose NV every single time though over FO3.

Also you're doing yourself a disservice getting oblivion/morrowind/fallout 3/new vegas on consoles instead of on PC where you get tons of great and useful mods.

Aaron

Stripper13 said:
Get Fallout 3 GOTY then. By the time you're ready for NEW Vegas, a GOTY version of that will be out with all the DLC.

Gvaz said:
New Vegas is the better game with decent DLC, though FO3 has more DLC (arguably mediocre dlc however).

I personally would choose NV every single time though over FO3.

Also you're doing yourself a disservice getting oblivion/morrowind/fallout 3/new vegas on consoles instead of on PC where you get tons of great and useful mods.

I'd disagree on the DLC, Fallout 3 had some great DLC, the New Vegas DLC has been unremarkable so far. Dead Money was substantial, but not particularly fun to play, and the only thing I remember about Honest Hearts was that it froze three times in two hours.

so has the ps3 version of the game recieved a boat load of patches to fix the glitches that im sure exist(ed)? I'm willing to take a chance on a fallout game that isnt being made by bugthesda, but I'm still exceedingly weary of anything that is even remotely affiliated with bethesda

I have no intention of buying both games nor any DLC unless it is extremely cheap.

At the moment I'm leaning towards New Vegas if the shooting mechanics are better or more refined.

Echoplx

Dead Man said:
You are on crack, son. FO3 has way better exploration, since not every little abandoned hut has a map marker.

I played 80 hours of FO3 and so far 30 hours of NV and in my opinion exploration is much better in NV, couldn't stand travelling though subways in FO3 and how it locked you out of everywhere unless you followed the specific path.

Dead Man

3chopl0x said:
I played 80 hours of FO3 and so far 30 hours of NV and in my opinion exploration is much better in NV, couldn't stand travelling though subways in FO3 and how it locked you out of everywhere unless you followed the specific path.
Yeah, but the map markers for every little place mean there is no exploration in NV. You can't stumble upon things, since everything has a marker. The lack of subways may mean travel is easier, but exploration is certainly not better, it is just removed.

Given the limitations of the engine, I prefer the FO3 approach with city sections and exploration, and finding a route to an area. If there had been a way to turn off the nav indicator on the compass on my first playthrough I would probably have done that, too. Almost every area has at least 2 paths in, most have more. It can be frustrating as hell if you are trying to get somewhere specific, but I like that aspect.

Different strokes, I guess.

Aaron

Fredescu said:
Everything only has a marker if you take that perk, right?
I think he's talking about the marks on your radar.

I found New Vegas felt smaller and less interesting to explore myself. Most of the locations were just lame caves with some small prize. It really dulled my interest in exploring.

Wallach

Aaron said:

I found New Vegas felt smaller and less interesting to explore myself. Most of the locations were just lame caves with some small prize. It really dulled my interest in exploring.

I'd probably agree with that sentiment too. There are a few highlights in NV that really stand out as amazingly rewarding for exploration
(notably Vault 11)
but for the most part I think it didn't match FO3 overall in that regard. It really is noticeably smaller and denser than FO3 and part of the drawback of that is there's not a whole lot of interesting, out of the way things to stumble across - very few things actually ever wind up being out of the way at all.

Gvaz

Banned
Dead Man said:
Yeah, but the map markers for every little place mean there is no exploration in NV. You can't stumble upon things, since everything has a marker. The lack of subways may mean travel is easier, but exploration is certainly not better, it is just removed.

Given the limitations of the engine, I prefer the FO3 approach with city sections and exploration, and finding a route to an area. If there had been a way to turn off the nav indicator on the compass on my first playthrough I would probably have done that, too. Almost every area has at least 2 paths in, most have more. It can be frustrating as hell if you are trying to get somewhere specific, but I like that aspect.

Different strokes, I guess.
No exploration? Say that to my 80+ hours playthrough of NV.

There's so much shit to do, it's absurd.

I loved finding all the little cool things myself, and when I finally got the explorer perk, I still missed like 3-5 locations

Dead Man

Aaron said:

Exactly. There are so many abandoned huts that get a map marker, and have nothing of value at all. Or powder gang outposts. And then there is nowhere interesting that doesn't have map marker.

I should probably knock it off before duckroll gets angry though ;) I am enjoying this playthrough more than my last one, but I am getting ctd's every 15 minutes or so. I've tweaked everything I know how, removed every mod, still happening. Frustrating. Gamebryo, huh? Great for modding, shit for making a whole game with.

Aaron

I also realized there are no giants in New Vegas. Something that should have been so simple to add, and brought up the scale of Fallout 3 so much for me.

Dead Man

Aaron said:
I also realized there are no giants in New Vegas. Something that should have been so simple to add, and brought up the scale of Fallout 3 so much for me.
I think every game should have giants.

duckroll

Lol, why would I get angry? I have nothing against well thought out arguments and debate about the pros and cons of anything, even if I disagree with whether the specific point is good or bad. Obviously lots of people like Fallout 3, and I certainly know why, but just because I disagree doesn't mean that I discourage people from expressing otherwise.

Dead Man

duckroll said:
Lol, why would I get angry? I have nothing against well thought out arguments and debate about the pros and cons of anything, even if I disagree with whether the specific point is good or bad. Obviously lots of people like Fallout 3, and I certainly know why, but just because I disagree doesn't mean that I discourage people from expressing otherwise.
Nah, I know, I was just joking. I need to work on my internet humour, methinks.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i dont find it odd that Behemoths are absent from New Vegas. What is strange, however, is that i dont know of any mods that add them in. i figured that Behemoths, Swampfolk, and Aliens would have been added in right away.

Dead Man

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I DID THIS MOD FOR YOU GUYS SO ALL I ASK IS IF YOU LIKE MOD PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE IT!
ADDS 5 BEHEMOTHS TO FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

It's up to you to find them.

Well except one who is so big you can see him from
Good Springs!
Haha. i might have to try it out later.

The one thing that bothers me about New Vegas (on the 360) is its ridiculously low draw distance. It's a lot lower than I remember Fallout 3 or even Oblivion to be, with stuff like bridges, cranes and popping into view when you should've seen them from miles away.

Still, doing a bit of a replay with a new character during my study breaks and in the evenings. Decided to go for a Guns-focused character, heavy on exploration. I left Nipton, made my way to the Nightstalker cave near Mojave Outpost, from there found my way into Crescent Canyon (which I somehow had missed on all my previous playthroughs), emerged on the other side, fought off Feral Ghouls near the Nuclear Test Site, got ambushed by a shit-ton of high level Robots near the crashed Vertibird (managed to snag the Tesla Cannon before I got the hell out of dodge), came upon Raided Farmstead, where I was ambushed by a group of Raiders, and ultimately reached the mountains near Novac.

I was exploring there when I suddenly saw the map marker "Dead Wind Cavern" appear on-screen. I then noticed a motherfucking Deathclaw stand on the other side of the rock I was on. It hadn't seen me yet, but ED-E decided to go into full-on battle mode, and got knocked to the ground pretty quickly. I ran like the wind, back to the road, where a group of Vipers were waiting for me. I got into cover as the Deathclaw followed me down, and the Vipers wisely turned their attention to it. They managed to take a chunk off its health, but he slaughtered them nonetheless. I took out my LMG I pick-pocketed off a Super Mutant a while back, switched to Armor-piercing rounds, said a little prayer, and let the Deathclaw have it.

Yeah, it was pretty intense. :lol

mujun

Blue Ninja said:
The one thing that bothers me about New Vegas (on the 360) is its ridiculously low draw distance. It's a lot lower than I remember Fallout 3 or even Oblivion to be, with stuff like bridges, cranes and popping into view when you should've seen them from miles away.

Still, doing a bit of a replay with a new character during my study breaks and in the evenings. Decided to go for a Guns-focused character, heavy on exploration. I left Nipton, made my way to the Nightstalker cave near Mojave Outpost, from there found my way into Crescent Canyon (which I somehow had missed on all my previous playthroughs), emerged on the other side, fought off Feral Ghouls near the Nuclear Test Site, got ambushed by a shit-ton of high level Robots near the crashed Vertibird (managed to snag the Tesla Cannon before I got the hell out of dodge), came upon Raided Farmstead, where I was ambushed by a group of Raiders, and ultimately reached the mountains near Novac.

I was exploring there when I suddenly saw the map marker "Dead Wind Cavern" appear on-screen. I then noticed a motherfucking Deathclaw stand on the other side of the rock I was on. It hadn't seen me yet, but ED-E decided to go into full-on battle mode, and got knocked to the ground pretty quickly. I ran like the wind, back to the road, where a group of Vipers were waiting for me. I got into cover as the Deathclaw followed me down, and the Vipers wisely turned their attention to it. They managed to take a chunk off its health, but he slaughtered them nonetheless. I took out my LMG I pick-pocketed off a Super Mutant a while back, switched to Armor-piercing rounds, said a little prayer, and let the Deathclaw have it.

Yeah, it was pretty intense. :lol

You mean pop in right? The draw distance is ridiculous. If you stand on the ridge just before the Mojave Outpost you can see hills that are literally ten minutes walk away.

Lakitu

st5fu
duckroll said:
They said there'll be a patch real soon, and they'll announce OWB's release date after that. So... hopefully there'll be something this coming week? :(

I'm starting to doubt it'll release this month. Microsoft's verification process is a pain and can take a while for them to release the patch. Hope to be proved wrong though.

Lothars

Lakitu said:
I'm starting to doubt it'll release this month. Microsoft's verification process is a pain and can take a while for them to release the patch. Hope to be proved wrong though.

Yeah that's true, I am hoping if it doesn't come out this month that both DLC packs come out in july.

Wallach

disappeared said:
I just remembered Fallout 3's random radio signals you could track down to find hidden places. I wish Vegas had those.

Yeah, I enjoyed those. I especially liked the Chinese signal for some reason.

My favourite were the signal stations which just repeat the same hailing call eternally which basically amounts to "Hello? Is there anyone out there?" And then you switch it off.

And there is just silence.

mujun said:
You mean pop in right? The draw distance is ridiculous. If you stand on the ridge just before the Mojave Outpost you can see hills that are literally ten minutes walk away.
Yeah, that. Got my terms mixed up there for a moment. :lol

Lord_Nergal said:
So, do we have any news on a release date for Old World Blues? HH was released on the 17th last month, and here we are a month later with no news.

At this point I think it's pretty safe to say its been delayed. Usually we hear about releases more than two weeks in advance. I hate it when companies announce a window, get almost all the way through that window without saying or releasing anything then right at the end come out and say "sorry guys, delayed".

duckroll

I definitely think the patch is coming this week, maybe even later today. They seem to know that it is coming very shortly, and they don't want to post any updates or details until the patch is actually released. It sounds like a really major patch too:

Some of the other issues (infinite load screens, etc) are fixed by the crazy optimizations in the patch. On PS3 we did the most radical overhaul. The downside to this is that the patch is pretty large on PS3. It's a 300+ meg download. Owners of the Canadian English/French build will have a ~600 meg download. 360 is large for a 360 patch (>20 megs) but tiny by comparison.

Also, it has been confirmed that:

a) Old World Blues requires this patch, which is why it has to come out first.

b) You actually get a home base where you can stay, in OWB. :D

duckroll

hemtae said:
I wonder if the achievements are going to be leaked in that patch like all the other ones

Well, I'm sure they'll be "leaked" before the DLC is out. But I doubt we'll be looking at a long wait between the patch and the DLC. I hope I'm not wrong! Lol.

Top Bottom