• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

ThirdEngine said:
I've had Powder Gangers spawn right in front of me before near Goodsprings Source. Just have to roll with the punches.

On another note, I'm wanting to start over and roll a character that specializes in Energy Weapons. But since this will still be my first playthrough, is that a bad idea instead of going Guns? Also, how important is it to concentrate on combat skills (Guns/EW) as opposed to things like Speech/Lockpick/Science in early game? I definitely have trouble with point distribution. I've read that high Perception and Luck are almost crucial to a good EW build. Is that true?
Luck is good, PE nets you the improved criticals I think, and crits are good with EW! I didn't find it that important to balance on my initial run (hard/hardcore), regular guns are plentiful and with iron sights they work well even with low skills, I just went for the Speech/Lockpick/Science skills. I didn't have a high PE either but I still felt OP by the end, just make whatever you feel like!

THAT said, I think guns are more fun. Both in variety, ease of use (you find guns/ammo all the time) and efficiency, they're also more fun!

daffy

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm really sorry to tell you, but cloud saving for New Vegas was disabled by Valve after release bugs caused the game to overwrite the autosave with old saves. :(
No chance of being reenabled?? That really sucks..

duckroll

FTH said:
No chance of being reenabled?? That really sucks..

I'm not sure what the situation is, but I don't think they have been reactivated. New Vegas saves are also pretty large, so Cloud saving was probably not the best idea. I have a backup folder which I move old saves into, so my save selection doesn't get too messy, and I currently have like over 2 gigs of saves. >_<

Sysgen

Put about 40 hours into my 2nd play through a Melee/Unarmed/Survival/Speech build. The amount of content that I missed in the first 90 hours on my first play through is staggering. Also made some ini changes that fixed 2 issues that caused me to prematurely end my first play through. Those fixes involved putting the mouse and sound in their own threads. Voices are out of synch most of the time but that's OK and much more tolerable than having the music skipping when opening every container. The sound change also causes the games to crash on exit but I just ALT-F4 it from the menu and terminate the processes (FalloutNV and FNV4GB manually.

Danne-Danger said:
Luck is good, PE nets you the improved criticals I think, and crits are good with EW! I didn't find it that important to balance on my initial run (hard/hardcore), regular guns are plentiful and with iron sights they work well even with low skills, I just went for the Speech/Lockpick/Science skills. I didn't have a high PE either but I still felt OP by the end, just make whatever you feel like!

THAT said, I think guns are more fun. Both in variety, ease of use (you find guns/ammo all the time) and efficiency, they're also more fun!
Thanks for the tips. I still think I'll go EW, though. I'm thinking of going with a SPECIAL of 4-6-5-1-9-6-9 and having Built to Destroy and Four Eyes as traits. Implant wise I'll go with STR, INT, AGL, LK, and the DT one. I hope to get good results from this build.

daffy

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm not sure what the situation is, but I don't think they have been reactivated. New Vegas saves are also pretty large, so Cloud saving was probably not the best idea. I have a backup folder which I move old saves into, so my save selection doesn't get too messy, and I currently have like over 2 gigs of saves. >_<
Woah, that's alotta saves :eek: I'll have to try something similar when I get my copy then, just gonna have to backup the saves sooner

duckroll

markot said:
Aw fuck...

I had like 40 hours played according to steam >.<

Damn, that sucks. Usually before formatting, it's helpful to remember that most game saves these days are located in the My Games folder in documents and settings. But yeah, times like this, you really wish that Cloud saving worked. >_<

Branson

So I'm about ready to get the 2 dlc here in a couple of days and I was wondering if there are any places that I can store my stuff before I go to the dlc lands? What about the
Presidential suite at the Tops?, or the place at the Atomic Wrangler that they give you?

Branson said:
So I'm about ready to get the 2 dlc here in a couple of days and I was wondering if there are any places that I can store my stuff before I go to the dlc lands? What about the
Presidential suite at the Tops?, or the place at the Atomic Wrangler that they give you?

You don't have a place where you live yet? Yes, those are both homes that are safe to store stuff in.

The guy leading the expedition into Zion also provides a crate for you to store stuff in before you leave.

Branson

HadesGigas said:
You don't have a place where you live yet? Yes, those are both homes that are safe to store stuff in.

The guy leading the expedition into Zion also provides a crate for you to store stuff in before you leave.

I rented the room in Novac, but I'd rather use the others if possible. Thanks! I haven't really looked to get one actually, So I just stumbled upon them recently.

The place that makes the most sense to use is the Lucky 38, since it's the place you can tell your companions to go hang out in.

It would be cool if you could choose what place is your "home" and send them to that place instead. Is there a mod for that?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Goddamnit, seeing this thread makes me want to play every single damned time I see it. And I'm supposed to be leaving it on the backburner until the next DLC comes out! >:|

Bah, I'll go do that irradiated town mission to blow off some steam, get the unique fire axe...

So who here has got the Meat of Champions perk? I just read about it and getting it is my new goal for this game. It sounds absolutely hilarious, but hard to get at the same time. Is it worth it just for the sheer comedy value of it?

Benedict

Any word yet of a fix for ED-E yet?

He's disappeared and is impossible to find.
I've seen that a lot of people have had problem with that follower.
I can't finish a quest unless I can remove my followers.
Trying to go into Caesars tent but I am not allowed to go there with followers.
Doesn't work to sneak in either.

Over 100 hrs in and I must say that my time with Fallout 3 so far was much more enjoyable.
Boring scenery, characters, story and buggy as hell.
(PS3-version played on both).

gstaff

There's a fix coming soon that will allow you to manually force your companions to leave your party. When there's more info on that, it'll be posted over on the official forums.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
HadesGigas said:
The place that makes the most sense to use is the Lucky 38, since it's the place you can tell your companions to go hang out in.

It would be cool if you could choose what place is your "home" and send them to that place instead. Is there a mod for that?
For storage and a general base the Lucky 38 is pretty much it. i still use the other homes like Novac and the faction bases regularly, however. If you sleep in a bed that you own you get Well Rested and 10% XP bonus for 12 hours. Having a few beds scattered across the Mojave helps to keep this buff up almost all the time.

I finished New Vegas the other day,
creating an independent Vegas, but not killing the Legate or NCR General
, but early on in the final battle
at Hoover Dam
a
Wild Wasteland trait marker and sound clip appeared

I looked around, reloaded and did it again and it happened again, so I'm sure it's meant to be there, but for the life of me couldn't find out what it actually was? I didn't see anything in the Fallout Wikia, either. Can anyone shine some light on this?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
codswallop said:
I finished New Vegas the other day,
creating an independent Vegas, but not killing the Legate or NCR General
, but early on in the final battle
at Hoover Dam
a
Wild Wasteland trait marker and sound clip appeared

I looked around, reloaded and did it again and it happened again, so I'm sure it's meant to be there, but for the life of me couldn't find out what it actually was? I didn't see anything in the Fallout Wikia, either. Can anyone shine some light on this?
Aliens reference. You hear "Theyre coming out of the goddamn walls! Game over, man. Game over!"

water_wendi said:
Aliens reference. You hear "Theyre coming out of the goddamn walls! Game over, man. Game over!"
Thanks. I must've been out of earshot of the characters yelling it. Maybe I'll reload the save and see if I can find it...

Abylim

I started playing this recently, was loving it until I got abit further in. Had the lovely VATS lock up, got wailed on for about 10 mins, then died. re loaded, went to kill the same guy by just aiming at him, the game locked up. I re loaded, left the area and walked over near New Vegas, saw a fucking mole rat thing, and the game locked up again. I immediatly deleted my game data, and am taking it back. I put up with this shit in FO3, not doing it again for NV.
I had more lock ups then this, but these all happened within about 15 mins.

Ps3 Ver, by the way.

Atruvius

Yes Boss! said:
Quick question. Heading to the store to get the game finally. PS3 or 360 version?
I've heard 360 version is less glitchy. I have PS3 version and it just crashes into black screen sometimes + other weird stuff.

kai3345

Banned
Atruvius said:
I've heard 360 version is less glitchy. I have PS3 version and it just crashes into black screen sometimes + other weird stuff.
I've got the 360 version and have had only a few minor glitches here and there

sikkinixx

okay so mission help needed

I am doing the mission for Manny Vargas in No Vac where I need to clear out the ghouls. I talked to Jason, who asked me to clear out the basement. So I made my way down there and met Harold (I think) who asked me to look for his friend before he leaves. Then I met the crazy Nightkin who asked me to go to the room where Harold is and get the Stealthboys. I wanted to find the dead friend so Harold leaves, then get the Stealthboys so the Nightkin leave. But When I look around, Nightkin attack me. Do I need to stealth around? Or should I stealth steal the stealthboys? I don't wanna fight everyone!

hemtae

sikkinixx said:

I am doing the mission for Manny Vargas in No Vac where I need to clear out the ghouls. I talked to Jason, who asked me to clear out the basement. So I made my way down there and met Harold (I think) who asked me to look for his friend before he leaves. Then I met the crazy Nightkin who asked me to go to the room where Harold is and get the Stealthboys. I wanted to find the dead friend so Harold leaves, then get the Stealthboys so the Nightkin leave. But When I look around, Nightkin attack me. Do I need to stealth around? Or should I stealth steal the stealthboys? I don't wanna fight everyone!

sneak around the Nightkin or kill the ghoul

FrankT

Going to take a wait and see approach on the next DLC. Dove right into the last two and while I was definitely pleased with the first I wanted a lot more from the second. If the reviews and feedback are positive I'll jump in.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does any of the DLC have new loot? I heard they take all your shit away. :/

recklessmind said:
Does any of the DLC have new loot? I heard they take all your shit away. :/

Yes, there's new weapons/armor/consumables in both the DLCs. Honest Hearts even adds a bunch of new recipes that use ingredients that were already in the game.

Dead Money takes your stuff away, since it's part of the plot that you're basically kidnapped.

Honest Hearts you can bring 75 or 100 weight with you.

Wallach

sikkinixx said:

You can do this a few different ways. If you don't want to fight all the Nightkin, you need to use stealth. You should have found a few Stealth Boys in the offices above the basement, so put 'em to use. Nightkin have terrible PER so you can sneak around with impunity with one active. You have to kill one particular Nightkin to find the ghoul Harland is looking for, but if you kill any other Nightkin you can't conclude the mission peacefully with Davison and the rest of the Nightkin. Or you can just blow Harland's head off and get what Davison's looking for.

tokkun

Wallach said:
You can do this a few different ways. If you don't want to fight all the Nightkin, you need to use stealth. You should have found a few Stealth Boys in the offices above the basement, so put 'em to use. Nightkin have terrible PER so you can sneak around with impunity with one active. You have to kill one particular Nightkin to find the ghoul Harland is looking for, but if you kill any other Nightkin you can't conclude the mission peacefully with Davison and the rest of the Nightkin. Or you can just blow Harland's head off and get what Davison's looking for.

That's not exactly true.
I killed a bunch of Nightkin and it still let me resolve the Davison mission without fighting him.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Looking at Skyrim's dual wielding and the engine's possible application in future fallout titles, I'm imagining a lot of delicious combos in Fallout 4.

Dual sawed off shotguns, mega power fist and ballistic fist...*drool*

Good times ahead.

Dr. Chaos said:
Looking at Skyrim's dual wielding and the engine's possible application in future fallout titles, I'm imagining a lot of delicious combos in Fallout 4.

Dual sawed off shotguns, mega power fist and ballistic fist...*drool*

Good times ahead.
Double fisted dynamite chucking for me please. I feel that I just can't get those explosives out fast enough sometimes. Which is why I usually just stick with Mercy, when I have ammo for it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So ive been replaying the game lately and fooling with mods.. and as someone that has been to many of the places that are in-game its impressive the amount of research Obsidian did.

i like how Obsidian even included motorcycles out front of their version
VOWW7.jpg

InertiaXr

Anybody know why I am seemingly unable to load any saves on PC? It's not as though it can't recognize the saves, it starts to load up fine but just sits at the loading screen for as long as I let it, until I ctrlaltdel out and shutdown the falloutnv.exe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
360 version. Spent a lot of time making my game just right before diving into Honest Hearts. I have an ED-E glitch that makes ED-E gone, but still in my party with the party perk for enhanced sensors. I can't tell it to leave, therefore I can't do Honest Hearts. Fucking heartbreaking. Any advice, or am I boned? Despite hating Dead Money I think it might be my out - it forcibly removes your party members, yes?

duckroll

Sunflower said:
360 version. Spent a lot of time making my game just right before diving into Honest Hearts. I have an ED-E glitch that makes ED-E gone, but still in my party with the party perk for enhanced sensors. I can't tell it to leave, therefore I can't do Honest Hearts. Fucking heartbreaking. Any advice, or am I boned? Despite hating Dead Money I think it might be my out - it forcibly removes your party members, yes?

I believe they will be addressing this companion problem for console users in the next patch which might be due before the next DLC. Not sure how they plan on fixing it, but they've mentioned it. For PC users there are a variety of ways to fix this problem, ranging from using the console commands to using mods which allow you to dismiss companions without having to see them.

InertiaXr said:
Anybody know why I am seemingly unable to load any saves on PC? It's not as though it can't recognize the saves, it starts to load up fine but just sits at the loading screen for as long as I let it, until I ctrlaltdel out and shutdown the falloutnv.exe.

Don't know if this will work like it did on consoles, but someone mentioned that if you start a new game and then load your save from there it works. Had this problem yesterday on 360, and it worker for me, but PC totally different I know, but it's worth a shot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
I believe they will be addressing this companion problem for console users in the next patch which might be due before the next DLC. Not sure how they plan on fixing it, but they've mentioned it. For PC users there are a variety of ways to fix this problem, ranging from using the console commands to using mods which allow you to dismiss companions without having to see them.

I guess I'll soldier on then. It also inadvertantly hoses my main story playthrough as I can't enter Caesar's tent with ED-E in my party. I guess I'll go clean, well, everything.

InertiaXr

Proposed Law said:
Don't know if this will work like it did on consoles, but someone mentioned that if you start a new game and then load your save from there it works. Had this problem yesterday on 360, and it worker for me, but PC totally different I know, but it's worth a shot.

Excellent, that worked. I played Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3 so I know how fucked these games are, and have been quick saving every 3-5minutes and make a new hard save every hour or so and every time I exit the game, but my auto/quick/hard save were all doing this and so was concerned they were all lost.

DarkKyo

Does anyone on the boards use a Yes Man icon? He's my favorite character so I think I'ma do it unless someone else has one...

Top Bottom