• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wallach

B-Dex said:
Are explosives viable as a main weapon? I started a new game and was just fooling around. Managed to take over the town with the powder gangers just by tossing dynamite at people.

Yeah. Just have a plan for dealing with stuff in melee range (whether that is you being OK with doing a lot of running or just carrying a different weapon type to take care of it).

Edit - Once you get Hit the Deck perk that becomes a lot easier to manage, though you still need to watch your limb health very carefully up close.

moojito

I've been playing this a fair bit and have just gotten to the strip and met mr house, and I'm level 8 (about 10 hours played). Is this near the end? I don't feel like I've done that many quests to get to this point and wonder if I should start roaming about looking for random side quests to flesh things out a bit.

moojito said:
I've been playing this a fair bit and have just gotten to the strip and met mr house, and I'm level 8 (about 10 hours played). Is this near the end? I don't feel like I've done that many quests to get to this point and wonder if I should start roaming about looking for random side quests to flesh things out a bit.

Still a fair way off, but there's a lot of great stuff off the beaten track. My first run I didn't get to the strip until level 22.

UrbanRats

i just bought this a few days ago, and took an entire night to mod it.
Didn't have the chance to play it yet, but i'm wondering, is it worthed to pick FO3 too, since it's in the daily deals? or will the step-back from this, be too huge? I don't wanna waste my money(and time, most importantly), so if New Vegas it's just better, i won't take FO3 too, wadda you say, GAF?

UrbanRats said:
Didn't have the chance to play it yet, but i'm wondering, is it worthed to pick FO3 too, since it's in the daily deals? or will the step-back from this, be too huge? I don't wanna waste my money(and time, most importantly), so if New Vegas it's just better, i won't take FO3 too, wadda you say, GAF?

Modded Fallout 3 with all the DLC is magical, I say go for it. I've clocked a couple of hundred hours of each and I love them both for different reasons.

jim-jam bongs said:
Still a fair way off, but there's a lot of great stuff off the beaten track. My first run I didn't get to the strip until level 22.
I may leave Freeside and head back.

I was in the Strip, but then my save got erased and now I'm back in the King's room. I may just leave and go do wasteland quests. The Strip was kind of disappointing actually, I much rather prefer wandering the wastelands.

UrbanRats

jim-jam bongs said:
Modded Fallout 3 with all the DLC is magical, I say go for it. I've clocked a couple of hundred hours of each and I love them both for different reasons.
what's different between the two? Just Hardcore mode?
EDIT: Aside from the storyline, ofcourse.

Wallach

UrbanRats said:

I think they're both great games. New Vegas I think is definitely the better of the two, so I guess it's more of a question of time.

B-Dex

Are explosives viable as a main weapon? I started a new game and was just fooling around. Managed to take over the town with the powder gangers just by tossing dynamite at people.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I spent twenty hours as an explosives only character and it got kind of old surprisingly fast so I switched to sniping soon after, I still sprinkle explosives through out though. Can't live without my C-4.

UrbanRats said:
Both are great and must play experiences.

I think they each have different pros and cons that can be appreciated in contrast of each other.

You're getting a ridiculous amount of content buying them both together for the first time (especially if it's FO3 GOTY with the DLC) and these games are crazy replayable.

I must have sunk over 500 hours into Fallout 3 on consoles, still playing it on PC with mods.

UrbanRats said:

FO3 is incredibly vast and has a lot of things to see over a wide area, but New Vegas packs more into a world which feels smaller. Also, the story in Fallout 3 is a small part of the game but a much more significant component of New Vegas. The implementation of factions is a lot more interesting in New Vegas in the way in which it impacts player choices which go on to alter the main narrative.

As for hardcore mode, you should play Fallout 3 with The Wanderer's Edition mod. It's got an even more hardcore hardcore mode than the one in New Vegas :)

UrbanRats

Thanks for the replies guys.
I still got about 15hrs, so i'll think about it a bit more and decide.
I just want to make sure this isn't some Steamsale frenzy on my part, as i have a HUGE backlog already.

Sober

Gravijah said:
I've never done an Energy Weapons only playthrough, how common is the ammo?
Even some of the raiders use Energy weapons. I would suggest investing into Science to let you recharge depleted ammo packs, and grab the perk that increases the chance of getting depleted ammo charges from just shooting.

moojito

Sober said:
Even some of the raiders use Energy weapons. I would suggest investing into Science to let you recharge depleted ammo packs, and grab the perk that increases the chance of getting depleted ammo charges from just shooting.

Yip, this. I have an energy weapons build and since getting that perk I'm finding ammo for it all over the place. No shortage at all.

not really, know that it's a game focused on the environment, characters, story, etc. and from there you will get most of your satisfaction. talk to everyone, do every quest, have fun

Abooie

Banned
StopMakingSense said:
Any 360 users having issues loading saves since the patch? Loads infinitely if I select continue from most recent save.

Other than a few times I fell out of the world I didn't have any issues with saves.

I finished the game with 1k a couple of days ago and over all I think I preferred it to 3.

StopMakingSense said:
Any 360 users having issues loading saves since the patch? Loads infinitely if I select continue from most recent save.
Yeah this has come up before. Start a new game and when you get control after customizing your character intro, reload your most recent hard save. Should do the trick.

I don't seem to have any problems. But, as the patch notes predicted, my situation with Raul's quest still hasn't been resolved. It's annoying as shit.

Ugh... my companions got stuck in the arena and I had to go and dismiss them all and go and recruit them all again.

Either there isn't pathing for companions in the arena, or my "have infinite companions" mod broke something. I'm going with the former, as all 4 companions just kept walking around in circles.

moojito

malfcn said:
I started FO3 and lost interest. For $10 is this worth trying?

I suppose that depends on whether you enjoyed it at all while you played it. People who liked it will say yes, if you go to a gears of war thread and ask people who do not like fo3/nv, maybe they'll say no. Kind of hard to tell someone whether or not they'll like something like this!

While I'm here, anyone know if there are any must-have mods for this? Looking on new vegas nexus I don't really see a lot except those two bounty addons that give you missions to hunt down and kill folk.

Razorskin

----- ------
RadioHeadAche said:
How has the new patch affected the PS3 version? I'm deciding whether or not to buy it tomorrow, but I'd like to know how well it runs.

It messed up the level cap but besides that it's fine, but don't expect a bug free experience.

malfcn said:

depends on what you are looking for. if you want a shooter game, then hell no, but if you a story/character/environment focused experience in a very, very detailed world then yes.

New Vegas was my GOTY, I literally dreamt about it every night, checked NMA like every 4 hours for new updates, made my first ever OT on another forum for it, worship the ground Avellone walks on, so my opinion might be a little biased...

Jerykk

Banned
UrbanRats said:

New Vegas has significantly better writing than FO3 and the quests are much more open-ended. The faction system lets you choose your own end goals as well. It also has a lot more content overall. More weapons, more armor, more NPCs, etc.

FO3 has better dungeons. That's pretty much it.

Alpha-Bromega said:
depends on what you are looking for. if you want a shooter game, then hell no, but if you a story/character/environment focused experience in a very, very detailed world then yes.

New Vegas was my GOTY, I literally dreamt about it every night, checked NMA like every 4 hours for new updates, made my first ever OT on another forum for it, worship the ground Avellone walks on, so my opinion might be a little biased...

This.

pretty insignificant in itself, but new vegas does have all sorts of little things like that.

the various mechanics aren't worth much alone, like the crafting for instance, but taken in the wider context being able to scavenge materials, craft weapons, eat from a campfire, trade at trading stations that feel natural and real (like route 88 station) idk, make the game just feel so alive.

Obsidian gets a lot of shit for their technical mishaps, but damn if they are almost unrivaled in making a game feel alive

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
malfcn said:

I bought this for $10 and now wish I had not. Nine months, five patches, repeated use of different save slots and backing up files to internal memory and USB drives, and I still got reamed by how completely fucking messed up this game is.

Anybody want to buy a sealed copy of Alpha Protocol for 360? I'll break up razor blades into a vodka limeade before I touch another Obsidian game.

Bethesda games are just as bad, yet I don't see any motion against them.

See the difference between Obsidian and Bethesda in this regard too, 5 patches. as in, to this day, they are working on the kinks of the game.

CyReN

Am I beyond lucky or something because I've only had 2-3 crashes and some really minor issues in about 130+ hours with Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the Xbox 360.

Mooreberg

Alpha-Bromega said:
Bethesda games are just as bad, yet I don't see any motion against them.

See the difference between Obsidian and Bethesda in this regard too, 5 patches. as in, to this day, they are working on the kinks of the game.

120 hours between Oblivion and Fallout 3 and this never happened once. There is a difference between glitches and a game being a broken pile of shit.

anecdotal. that's too bad and i'm truly very sorry that was your experience with the game.

i had far more hours than that, and never experienced a single crash and only a few funny bugs that took away little. it's a hit or miss affair with games of this scope

broham

bethesda's gamebryo is a bit of a gamble, you might get away clean with little to no bugs, or you might experience every glitch known to man.

yep, for me Fallout 3 was one of the worst gaming experiences i've ever had, on the technical side. But I still plowed through, enjoyed it.

Oblivion was a technical mess for me as well.

But New Vegas ran A O K, I was impressed, and happy.

Gamebryo is a gamble

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've got about 60 hours logged in, just did the Honest hearts side mission. That was......different. I'm debating just finishing the thing but I've got more sidequests to do. Also, Cass is best partner, yes?

"nobody's dick is that big, not even long dick johnson and he had a long fucking dick. hence the name"

Yes, I'd say Cass is the best character. Her being the daughter of Cassidy helps alot alot too

her doey eyed idealism makes me sick
just kidding
I love her role
in desconstructing the Brotherhood as isolationist bigots who time has passed by. there is a clear lack of progression or even regression from Fallout 1, 2 and then New Vegas. it's cool. Boy was I ready to kill some Knights when they killed those doctors.

I still remember almost the exact thing I said to that snivelling Knight:
"I will cast down your codex and bask in the dying agony of those who hold it dear"

One of the coolest damn lines i've ever seen in a viddya game

I decided to pick it up because $10 is a pretty good price. I'm a newbie when it comes to Fallout, so will I have much difficulty getting used to everything? What is the gameplay perspective, first or third and is it possible to switch between the two?

Razorskin said:
It messed up the level cap but besides that it's fine, but don't expect a bug free experience.

I'll have to remember to save often.

It switches between 1st and third on your command. L2 is the button.

You aren't going to 'get' a lot of the references that can make you like the game more, but on their own the characters, the quests, environments, soundtrack, etc. are good enough that you will love them.

Just look at the bolded quote I have above, it's that level of writing and bad ass ness in general

Mooreberg

Cannot speak for the lost saves on the PC version, but my hatred for how messed up this situation was prompted me to figure out how to fix it on 360.

01. Back up whatever saves you have that do work in case of (another) disaster.
02. Delete title update #5. Ignore the prompt to install it again when starting the game and let XBL go offline.
03. See if your most recent "broken" autosave on your main storage device (likely your default HDD) will load. You will get the "DLC not present blah blah" error message but click ok.
04. Play around in the game so your autosave is overwritten three to five times.
05. Exit out of the game to the dashboard, launch again, accept the title update.
06. Load/continue your autosave, overwrite it a few more times, and then create a hard save.

This worked for me. I think it took less effort to get a command line version of UNIX running on Dreamcast back in the day, but I guess this is modern entertainment.

As for the PC version, I'm guessing if you are straight through steam you might be fucked. Maybe if you can re-install a retail copy and pull out an ethernet cable so steam doesn't autopatch it you might be able to try what I did. To me, it seems like patch/TU #5 needs to be patched. This did not happen with TU4 at all when I started playing the game on Tuesday.

Alpha-Bromega said:
anecdotal. that's too bad and i'm truly very sorry that was your experience with the game.

I don't think there is anything anecdotal about problems with Obsidian games. KOTOR2 on the PC was a nightmare when I played it not too long after it came out. I'm going to see this through because it is fallout, but yeah, Alpha Protocol can stay in shrink wrap. Hire some QA testers, fuckers!

Stoffinator

I just updated the game on the PS3 (damn 500+MB update) and now the game plays in slow motion. Everything is just at a crawl, Can this company ever make a patch that works?

Wallach

Alpha-Bromega said:
"nobody's dick is that big, not even long dick johnson and he had a long fucking dick. hence the name"

Yes, I'd say Cass is the best character. Her being the daughter of Cassidy helps alot alot too

You forgot the part where she understands that shotguns are the firearm of choice for the discerning wasteland wanderer.

Though I wish you could kill her with chems like you could her father.

"shhh, we're hunting shit heads"

yeah that would've been a nice touch, does she even mention his heart problem?

I also love that the Rangers are actually a literal representation of their description in Fallout 1. Tycho was specifically described as "Wearing a brown duster over old riot gear and wearing a gas mask"

so awesome

Gravijah

Stoffinator said:
I just updated the game on the PS3 (damn 500+MB update) and now the game plays in slow motion. Everything is just at a crawl, Can this company ever make a patch that works?

I've had that happen pre-patch. Did you reload or fast travel?

Top Bottom