• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

duckroll

I'll probably put up the OT for DLC3 just before it's released. Haven't had time to even check NV out post-patch yet. Really pumped for OWB though. :D

OMG Aero

I saw this game on sale today for £10 and was thinking about picking it but before I do I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me.
I recently watched a Let's Play of the PS3 version of New Vegas and it was rife with bugs. If I get the 360 version should I expect the same thing or is it just the PS3 version that is really buggy?

Sober

OMG Aero said:
I saw this game on sale today for £10 and was thinking about picking it but before I do I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me.
I recently watched a Let's Play of the PS3 version of New Vegas and it was rife with bugs. If I get the 360 version should I expect the same thing or is it just the PS3 version that is really buggy?
I think someone put it best that a Gamebryo engine game like FNV, FO3 or Oblivion is just a gamble ... you might make it out bug free or at least dodge the show stoppers while some poor sod (maybe you) will get crashes every 5 minutes or something terrible. And it's not consistent either; could only happen in one game and not another or you having a bug free experience might be the exception.

Sotha Sil

Ok, started playing the game, and I'm really impressed. The Fallout 3 engine actually feels pretty damn great when the writing's good. Never encountered a bug so far.

Next DLC is insta-bought.

A Gamebryo game's a lot like Russian roulette. You've got 5/6 chance of having a relatively bug-free experience, but there's always that one unlucky bastard that's going to splatter his hate all over internet message forums.

Sotha Sil said:
Ok, started playing the game, and I'm really impressed. The Fallout 3 engine actually feels pretty damn great when the writing's good. Never encountered a bug so far.

Next DLC is insta-bought.
You're right on that first mark - NV's writing outclasses anything Bethesda's released to date. They should get Obsidian to write all of their games.

As far as bugs are concerned, just wait patiently and they'll show themselves. NV is the buggiest game I've ever loved.

Just wait until that dog the tutorial lady has, makes his eyes fall out and roll around the floor.

Or you fall through the map (happened twice, but I landed and could quick travel out)

balladofwindfishes said:
Just wait until that dog the tutorial lady has, makes his eyes fall out and roll around the floor.

Or you fall through the map (happened twice, but I landed and could quick travel out)
There was one point in Fallout 3's "The Pitt" where I fell through the ground every time I went up a certain place. As far as I know, the questline made you follow that path, but I fell through into oblivion each and every time. It eventually became a trial-and-error attempt at crossing the concrete sea of death.

imoTEP12

Blue Ninja said:
There was one point in Fallout 3's "The Pitt" where I fell through the ground every time I went up a certain place. As far as I know, the questline made you follow that path, but I fell through into oblivion each and every time. It eventually became a trial-and-error attempt at crossing the concrete sea of death.

I remember this as well, had to try and recall where I would fall through the world and jump over that area or work around it, god that was annoying.

Sotha Sil

Deified Data said:
You're right on that first mark - NV's writing outclasses anything Bethesda's released to date. They should get Obsidian to write all of their games.

As far as bugs are concerned, just wait patiently and they'll show themselves. NV is the buggiest game I've ever loved.

Agreed!

The dark humor is really taking me off guard, which is always nice.

"I won the lottery!". Damn.

Gvaz

Banned
duckroll said:
I'll probably put up the OT for DLC3 just before it's released. Haven't had time to even check NV out post-patch yet. Really pumped for OWB though. :D
Why does a dlc need it's own OT instead of being in a NV thread?

Sotha Sil said:
"I won the lottery!". Damn.

lol. I don't know if it's a common occurence, but the dude aggro'ed a bark scorpion after the conversation and was running from it all around town. Most surreal moment I've seen ever playing video games.

^Elder Scrolls sandbox behavior. Makes for some hilarious moments.

Hanlon
in the bed with the other dude for example

I've been getting attacking in Freeside a lot more, and supposedly they upped the legion scouting parties or something, should be good doing a second playthrough fully updated with all the DLC.

Wallach

Sotha Sil said:
He didn't agro anything, but it was pretty surreal alright.

I hear they made the close combat skills more interesting this time around; would a melee/unarmed playthrough be any fun?

If the guy didn't bolt directly out of town, he probably did aggro something. I've seen it happen there with the bark scorpions just to the right guarding the parked trailers. Fucks up his pathing.

mujun

Are they intentionally going for a Wasteland vibe with this DLC?

Proton Axe, Roboscorpions, the setting reminds of Darwin/Fenster, etc.

Sotha Sil

Wallach said:
If the guy didn't bolt directly out of town, he probably did aggro something. I've seen it happen there with the bark scorpions just to the right guarding the parked trailers. Fucks up his pathing.

Probably! I've seen it happen before. That's Gamebryo for you.

Damn, I love this game. The Legion is more dark and funny than each and every Fallout 3 NPCs put together.

Wallach

mujun said:
Are they intentionally going for a Wasteland vibe with this DLC?

Proton Axe, Roboscorpions, the setting reminds of Darwin/Fenster, etc.

This DLC is based on content that was partially developed but ultimately cut from Fallout 2 (the Environmental Protection Agency). Some of it has been tweaked and it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like that was the basis for some of the changes in restoring it for NV.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
lol. I don't know if it's a common occurence, but the dude aggro'ed a bark scorpion after the conversation and was running from it all around town. Most surreal moment I've seen ever playing video games.
Actually after the first time you see him, he can usually be found in some desert sands to the east next to a bunch of giant scorpions constantly running away.

duckroll

Wallach said:
This DLC is based on content that was partially developed but ultimately cut from Fallout 2 (the Environmental Protection Agency). Some of it has been tweaked and it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like that was the basis for some of the changes in restoring it for NV.

Fallout 2 (EPA) -> Canned Fallout 3 First Draft (Big MT Training Facility) -> Canned Fallout 3 Later Draft (Tibbets Prison) -> Fallout NV DLC3 (Big Empty)

It has come a really long way lol. Probably one of the most ill fated ideas Black Isles ever came up with. Hopefully it was worth the wait. :D

Salsa

Wallach said:

holy shit, never put 2 and 2 together

hype risinggggggg

Sotha Sil

Asking again, because I'd really like to play a mad cannibalistic reaver after I finish my playthrough:

I hear they made the close combat skills more interesting this time around; would a melee/unarmed playthrough be any fun?

I was not aware of Big Empty's origins... Very interesting. Can't wait to play it.

Sotha Sil said:
Asking again, because I'd really like to play a mad cannibalistic reaver after I finish my playthrough:

I was not aware of Big Empty's origins... Very interesting. Can't wait to play it.

If I recall correctly that was my build for my legion allied run; unarmed/melee cannibal with her karma in the toilet. It's very viable, I'd almost go as far as saying that unarmed is completely overpowered at mid to high levels. Once you get the perk that causes unarmed attacks to bypass damage threshold it's on like Donkey Kong.

Sotha Sil

jim-jam bongs said:
If I recall correctly that was my build for my legion allied run; unarmed/melee cannibal with her karma in the toilet. It's very viable, I'd almost go as far as saying that unarmed is completely overpowered at mid to high levels. Once you get the perk that causes unarmed attacks to bypass damage threshold it's on like Donkey Kong.

Thanks!

Dead Man

duckroll said:
Fallout 2 (EPA) -> Canned Fallout 3 First Draft (Big MT Training Facility) -> Canned Fallout 3 Later Draft (Tibbets Prison) -> Fallout NV DLC3 (Big Empty)

It has come a really long way lol. Probably one of the most ill fated ideas Black Isles ever came up with. Hopefully it was worth the wait. :D
Wow, kind of cool in a way.

mujun

I started a new character a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the new DLC.

Currently level 31 and an absolute beast. I'm enjoying playing with some of the new perks, thoroughly trying out the weapons after the patch tweaks and even checking out some nooks and crannies I'd never bothered to explore.

I even did 2 quests I'd never done before (knew of their existence but never tried them) Aba Daba Honeymoon (pretty cool, liked the visit into a vault, had never been in under those circumstances) and the photo taking one.

Sucks that I can't get rid of that damned camera though :(

Anyone know what the requirements for Old World Blues will be? I'm hoping to at least be able to take my favorite weapons (Mysterious Magnum, Light Shining in the Darkness, 45 SMG, LMG, etc).

Lionheart1337 said:
Tons of the concepts in New Vegas are just rejuvenated ideas from the botched Fallout games....which is awesome. Obsidian has some great writers.

I'm aware of the ideas NV took from Van Buren.

What other 'botched' games have been used?

UrbanRats

I just arrived to Primm, i'm trying to get to the hotel, or the mojave express, as the quest says, but it's fucking PACKED with goons and i'm level 3, i last a few seconds, before they erase me from the face of the earth.. is this normal? Or should i do something else, bofore continuing with the main quest?

UrbanRats said:
I just arrived to Primm, i'm trying to get to the hotel, or the mojave express, as the quest says, but it's fucking PACKED with goons and i'm level 3, i last a few seconds, before they erase me from the face of the earth.. is this normal? Or should i do something else, bofore continuing with the main quest?

I think I'm usually around that level when I hit Primm, maybe level 4 or maybe 5 at most, but close to 3. Never reallt had much problems in the hotel. There is one room but that can be kind of tough. If you have the proper stats or equipment, you can get some backup.

UrbanRats

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I think I'm usually around that level when I hit Primm, maybe level 4 or maybe 5 at most, but close to 3. Never reallt had much problems in the hotel. There is one room but that can be kind of tough. If you have the proper stats or equipment, you can get some backup.
No i mean BEFORE i get into the hotel.
in the streets.
There are like 15 or more dudes and they spam tnt.
I'm thinking it might be one of the mods that fucked up the spawns? I have IWS afterall.
Is it normal to have that many enemies in that point?

Wallach

UrbanRats said:
in the streets.
I'm thinking it might be one of the mods that fucked up the spawns? I have IWS afterall.

I want to say there should be ~10 guys in the area surrounding the hotel. Some are out front in the street/parking, some are on the roller coaster tracks.

Edit - IWS will obviously increase the number of naturally spawning enemies.

Wallach said:
I want to say there should be ~10 guys in the area surrounding the hotel. Some are out front in the street/parking, some are on the roller coaster tracks.

I played the 360 version could be different, but yeah, there are between 4-6 roaming around the front side of Primm with another 2 or 3 on the roller coaster tracks.

Grinchy

Banned
The only thing you have to do to avoid fighting those guys is to put on your disguise. You can dress like one of them and waltz right into Primm. At least, that's how I remember things going. I could be confusing it with another place. I think you just need the powder gang outfit for the outside areas though.

VertPin

Need your help GAF, where are some locations where I can rank up some XP? Any great quests I should start? Currently level 18 and doesnt feel good.

Wallach

Grinchy said:
The only thing you have to do to avoid fighting those guys is to put on your disguise. You can dress like one of them and waltz right into Primm. At least, that's how I remember things going. I could be confusing it with another place. I think you just need the powder gang outfit for the outside areas though.

I don't think the convicts at Primm will respond to PG faction disguise.

Also there is a scripted encounter with more TNT throwing dudes if you approach Primm from the southeast, apparently.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Blue Ninja said:
Iirc that was never fixed in the 360/PS3 version. There are a few places where you fall through.

Diebuster

UrbanRats said:
in the streets.

If you're good enough at stealth, you can enter the hotel from one of the upper floors by sneaking along the rollercoaster without alerting anybody.

That's without that mod though since there definitely weren't that many guys when I entered Primm.

UrbanRats

Thanks guys, i'll deactivate the mod for now, i'll activate it once i'm a bit more powerfull (and confident with the game mechanics).
:)

EDIT: yeah the disguise thing is the first one i tried. :p

Sotha Sil

God, I love entering a bandit lair and getting my ass kicked. I first thought spamming dynamite sticks would get me out of any situation, but it turns out it's not the case, which is really reassuring. Such a masochistic, yet incredibly pleasing feeling of constant danger.

Yeah, I love this game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wallach said:
Holy shit! That's awesome. I think i'm gonna try the EPA in FO2's Restoration mod again and try to spot the similarities...

duckroll

zkylon said:
Holy shit! That's awesome. I think i'm gonna try the EPA in FO2's Restoration mod again and try to spot the similarities...

I doubt you'll find that much, since the main design behind Big Empty is actually more specifically based on ideas that Chris Avellone had for an area in the ill-fated original Fallout 3. The general concept might have been inspired by the EPA, but it has a lot more in common with stuff which never saw the light of day.

Top Bottom