• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I have my copy of the game since Friday.
The visuals looks more crisp and detailed than F3. I looooved F3 to death and I'm already enjoying this :)

Fuck the haters

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The guy is clearly lying. I don't even care about reviews one way or the other, but reading the comments, it's clear he's lying. He had to backpedal from several statements about how he got the game early.

They wanted traffic and exposure. They got it.

But fucking hell. How hard is it to actually play a video game and write 1000 words about it? It's child's play, and yet people like this dumbass fail at it. It's embarrassing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
water_wendi said:
Here is what was said before it was taken down (opened new tab in Firefox to check it out :lol)
fe2i5y.jpg

That means nothing. I just made this to show how easy it is to fake. This site is garbage.

2gumijb.png

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
Even if he didn't receive a review copy, that doesn't mean he didn't play the game. The 360 version has been available to pirates for as long as it has been to reviewers.
Read the review. It says nothing specific. i could rattle off some specific things both good and bad that i picked up just from watching streams.

Good
The "cinematic" kill camera that comes up even when not using VATS at first just seems like eye-candy but you soon realize it only occurs in real0time mode when the final enemy of an area is dead. What was once a "hey thats cool" event turns into a subtle signal for all-clear.

Bad
Though New Vegas boasts more songs than Fallout 3 the problem is that they are spread out over multiple stations. Be prepared to jingle, jangle, jingle the nights away if you want to hear what Mr. New Vegas has to say (and trust me you do. Some of the stuff they got Wayne Newton to say is hilarious).

edit:
Sn4ke_911 said:
That means nothing. I just made this to show how easy it is to fake. This site is garbage.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2gumijb.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you read my original post on this i mention that there is no way to tell if the person posting under Obsidian Entertainment is legit. However, given the lack of content of the review and it breaking review NDA, i would not be surprised if it was someone from Obsidian. Either way though, it doesnt matter. Its the actual review that makes itself suspect.

DR2K said:
How does it show that again? You disagree with the review (for no actual reason), find a flaw in the review that has nothing to do with game, and base the validity of the entire review on a grammatical error.

Well, the review is just an opinion: an uneducated one. Validity arguments are nonsensical when speaking of opinions.

Pooya

Isn't attackoffanboy same site that were spreading BS rumors before E3? something about Valkyrie Profile 3. the site is a joke.

WanderingWind

miladesn said:
Isn't attackoffanboy same site that were spreading BS rumors before E3? something about Valkyrie Profile 3. the site is a joke.

I seem to remember something like that too. Maybe that's their MO. Make stuff up to drive traffic. Sadly, it wouldn't even be the worst business practice in the games "journalism" industry.

tokkun

water_wendi said:
Read the review. It says nothing specific. i could rattle off some specific things both good and bad that i picked up just from watching streams.

Good
The "cinematic" kill camera that comes up even when not using VATS at first just seems like eye-candy but you soon realize it only occurs in real0time mode when the final enemy of an area is dead. What was once a "hey thats cool" event turns into a subtle signal for all-clear.

Bad
Though New Vegas boasts more songs than Fallout 3 the problem is that they are spread out over multiple stations. Be prepared to jingle, jangle, jingle the nights away if you want to hear what Mr. New Vegas has to say (and trust me you do. Some of the stuff they got Wayne Newton to say is hilarious).

edit:

If you read my original post on this i mention that there is no way to tell if the person posting under Obsidian Entertainment is legit. However, given the lack of content of the review and it breaking review NDA, i would not be surprised if it was someone from Obsidian. Either way though, it doesnt matter. Its the actual review that makes itself suspect.

If you can get those details without playing the game, then that really proves nothing right? And why would someone even bother to include comments about the kill cam in a review of that length. If it had come out after release, no one would give a second thought about whether he had played the game based on the content of the review.

Either way, does it really matter? The guy's main complaints are that the game experience hasn't changed much from Fallout 3 and that the graphics look very similar. Now are either of those points really worth arguing? From watching a few hours of the streams myself, those opinions are obviously justified.

If you disagree with the reviewer's complaints, it is not about their factual accuracy, but rather about how important they are. I personally have no problem that the game is more of the same, and consider the graphics to only be a minor detraction. I can understand getting annoyed over factual errors or unfounded opinions in a review, but if it is simply a case of disagreeing over how important graphics and novelty are, then I can't see a good reason to care about it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A few months ago when they announced the cast, I mistook Wayne Newton for Wayne Knight (Newman aka fatty from Jurassic Park). I just now realized that's not the case.
Fuck.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
If you disagree with the reviewer's complaints, it is not about their factual accuracy, but rather about how important they are.
Factual accuracy? i didnt say anything about him saying the game is like Fallout 3. i said that there is nothing in that review that couldnt have been taken from previews.

And why would someone even bother to include comments about the kill cam in a review of that length.
And this is exactly why i think they havent played the game, either by picking it up or by pirating it. They spend entire paragraphs going on about things that you could pick up from previews.. such things as Pipboy making for a clean inventory or describing Hardcore mode as it was described before release. They could have described how
items have a food and water rating in hardcore mode and how that subtracts or adds to your meter or how recipes are tied to your skills so if you have high Explosives you can make rockets or how you loot cases of ammunition to pack your own ammo.

All these specific things ive said about the game in both this post and the one above have not been in generic previews of this game. That site should have hired me to do a fake review.

clip

Snuggler said:
A few months ago when they announced the cast, I mistook Wayne Newton for Wayne Knight (Newman aka fatty from Jurassic Park). I just now realized that's not the case.
Fuck.
:lol

You're right, that would have been infinitely better.

Wiggum2007

So from the streams it looks like on Hardcore mode you have a meter that tracks your hunger, H20, etc. levels, which go from 0-1000. Does that mean that, say for hunger, you could just eat a massive amount of food to max out your hunger meter and then not have to worry about it again for hours? Seems like kind of a weird implementation.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wiggum2007 said:
So from the streams it looks like on Hardcore mode you have a meter that tracks your hunger, H20, etc. levels, which go from 0-1000. Does that mean that, say for hunger, you could just eat a massive amount of food to max out your hunger meter and then not have to worry about it again for hours? Seems like kind of a weird implementation.

Exactly how it works for me in RL, so I'll feel home :D

Dalauz

Hey any Gaf-journo could confirm about mod support in New Vegas? i cant play without darnified

Snuggler said:
Fuck.
Seinfeld6.jpg

Rad-

Wiggum2007 said:

I have few friends who live like that. :lol Not the most healthy way to eat but what can you do.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rad- said:
I have few friends who live like that. :lol Not the most healthy way to eat but what can you do.

It would actually be quite awesome if they'd have your character get fat if he eats too much junk like in Fable. It could slow down your speed as well as making your need for food increase. I'm OCD about item management so I'll probably have my backpack packed full of nothing but food and drinks for my travels.

Wiggum2007

Snuggler said:

It would actually be quite awesome if they'd have your character get fat if he eats too much junk like in Fable. It could slow down your speed as well as making your need for food increase. I'm OCD about item management so I'll probably have my backpack packed full of nothing but food and drinks for my travels.

Fat CJ was the best way to play GTA:SA.

water_wendi said:
A third playthrough? Must be a horrible game that he needs to be double sure that something so shit was released. /anti-Obsidian take

Right?

Well, they have had the game for a month and a third playthrough for the reviewer doesnt sound all that bad to me.

Labombadog said:
May you be blessed sir. :D

And on to the dude that got his xbox stolen.....join the pc master race.
You will NOT regret it.

I am effing doing this for my christmas present. I just have to figure out how to convince the wife that a $1000 dollar gaming rig is "needed". Until then I will stick with the vanilla New Vegas on consoles but when a GOTY addition or whatever comes out I will doubledip with my new awesome PC.:D

WanderingWind

TheExecutive said:
I am effing doing this for my christmas present. I just have to figure out how to convince the wife that a $1000 dollar gaming rig is "needed". Until then I will stick with the vanilla New Vegas on consoles but when a GOTY addition or whatever comes out I will doubledip with my new awesome PC.:D

Graphic design. Web design. Video editing. Picture processing.

Umm. Programming? Is that a thing?

Wiggum2007

neoism said:
does anyone know if the exp gain is the same.....?

Easy= little exp

Hard= more exp

I hope its not, or if it is that its had some major tweaking. Obviously it was meant to reward players who chose higher difficulties, but it made you level up so fast you were maxed out long before you ever finished the game.

(._.)

Banned
SalsaShark said:
oh god

hours

hundreds of hours

of gameplay

exploring the wasteland

2 more days ? fffffffffuckckkckckckckckck
I know, I know!!! Loved the atmosphere of the last one and this one will definitely deliver also. I mostly explored in the last one looking at all the locations an finding all the rare gear. I still haven't even did all of that in 3 and I have around 80+ hours logged in.

Median

DevelopmentArrested said:
cant get my copy until monday
fuuuu

review embargo is tuesday?
Haha doesn't look like anyone in the GTA has it yet. I tried to get the game yesterday but ended up with Vanquish instead.

Median said:
Haha doesn't look like anyone in the GTA has it yet. I tried to get the game yesterday but ended up with Vanquish instead.
yeah.. we probably were at the same place. i passed on vanquish. no fallout anywhere til monday it seems.

Rollo Larson said:
god i hate reviews
review? that's not a review, it's a troll post on a website.

Shurs

water_wendi said:
Here is what was said before it was taken down (opened new tab in Firefox to check it out :lol)
fe2i5y.jpg

It's obvious they didn't get a review copy. If they had, I highly doubt they'd break the embargo. So it's possible that they found an early copy of the game at retail, or they're just fabricating a review in order to drive traffic to their site. The review reads like it's written by someone who hasn't played the game.

lawblob said:
It's hard for me to take a paid review seriously when written by someone with a 9th grade writing level.

I doubt anyone gets paid to write for that site.

Animator

Who gives a fuck about reviews really? Is there anyone in this thread who hasnt preloaded or preordered yet? :lol

Bring on monday midnight!

Gravijah

Animator said:
Who gives a fuck about reviews really? Is there anyone in this thread who hasnt preloaded or preordered yet? :lol

Bring on monday midnight!

I haven't. If I knew for a fact that I could still get one of those coasters I would but meh.

It really doesn´t matter if the reviewer actually has the game (which I don´t think he has). Because he writes nothing in the "review" that is of any use to us. He says the story sucks, without mentioning anything that any of us didn´t already know. He describes the changes from Fallout 3 Obsidian has talked about, without giving any specific details about them we didn´t already know, etc.

If he posts an unboxing video with himself in it, then I will believe that he has played the game. But not before that, because not a single word in the "review" says that he has.

Top Bottom