• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Varth

Fucking hell. This has to be the single most buggy game I ever played. Makes Fallout 3 look like a Nintendo game. Still love it, but sheesh, maybe a tenth into the game I already saw more HEAVY bugs than one should find into any game.

Portugeezer

Varth said:
Fucking hell. This has to be the single most buggy game I ever played. Makes Fallout 3 look like a Nintendo game. Still love it, but sheesh, maybe a tenth into the game I already saw more HEAVY bugs than one should find into any game.
Elaborate.

Varth said:

the bugs were one of the best parts in Fallout 3. glad they didn't change anything!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Vegas in Wasteland was the shit... can't wait to revisit it here

Varth

Check this: in the last quest I played, the "phantom enemy" that was supposed to come out at midnight stayed in place, fully visible, for all day. Invulnerable, oblivious to me and in plain sight. At midnight he "activated", like a theme park animatronic, and obviously got a dynamite stick up every orifice.

On the graphic side, I lost count of how many "phantom" objects and polygons I saw in a bunch of hours, not to mention people walking into walls, objects impossible to pick up because crosshair didn't "see" them (even important ones, like ability manuals), people blending into each other and "moonwalking" together, plants popping like crazy in and out of the ground and more.

During dialogues, I regularly get questions related to hints that character never gave to me mixed with the "basic" questions, making each dialogue a mess.

Regular amount of freezes (2 so far) and F3 level of stuttering.

And don't get me started on localization.

It's gonna take a MAG-sized patch to get this to look like a finished game.

kai3345

Banned
Varth said:
Check this: in the last quest I played, the "phantom enemy" that was supposed to come out at midnight stayed in place, fully visible, for all day. Invulnerable, oblivious to me and in plain sight. At midnight he "activated", like a theme park animatronic, and obviously got a dynamite stick up every orifice.

On the graphic side, I lost count of how many "phantom" objects and polygons I saw in a bunch of hours, not to mention people walking into walls, objects impossible to pick up because crosshair didn't "see" them (even important ones, like ability manuals), people blending into each other and "moonwalking" together, plants popping like crazy in and out of the ground and more.

During dialogues, I regularly get questions related to hints that character never gave to me mixed with the "basic" questions, making each dialogue a mess.

The fuck?

Also, what system?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Varth said:

Sounds like Fallout 3 to me. Not the bugs exactly but peoples encounter rate with them. im sure you had the bugs so dont think that im doubting that but similar stuff like this happened with FO3 where one player would have massive amounts of bugs and another would have little to none. ive watched maybe 20 hours of streams and the only bug that ive noticed is the one with the guys head in the ceiling (there were a couple pop-ins but i attributed those to limitations of the 360 and not a bug of the game itself).

Once i picked up the FO3 GOTY and did a massive amount of playtime (200 hours or so) the only bug i ran into was where i was "trapped" in Rivet City and the game would crash if i exited. i know the bugs exist because ive seen the many, many, videos of them but i guess i was just lucky.

Varth

graywolf323 said:
okay of all your complaints this one makes no sense

Doesn't belong in the bugs, you're right. It's just so bad I can't understand what I have to do at times. BTW: PS3 version.

Salsa

Only bugs i found on FO3 (PC version) were that sometimes i would get stuck inside a building or something, finished a quest, and the door to keep going wouldnt open.

Happened in Little Lamplight and on Mothership Zeta. Had to turn collisions off, walk right through the doors, and turn them back on.

Well that and the occasional head stuck in the ceiling.

Id say it was pretty damn bearable for a game with that size.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
water_wendi said:
Sounds like Fallout 3 to me. Not the bugs exactly but peoples encounter rate with them. im sure you had the bugs so dont think that im doubting that but similar stuff like this happened with FO3 where one player would have massive amounts of bugs and another would have little to none. ive watched maybe 20 hours of streams and the only bug that ive noticed is the one with the guys head in the ceiling (there were a couple pop-ins but i attributed those to limitations of the 360 and not a bug of the game itself).

Once i picked up the FO3 GOTY and did a massive amount of playtime (200 hours or so) the only bug i ran into was where i was "trapped" in Rivet City and the game would crash if i exited. i know the bugs exist because ive seen the many, many, videos of them but i guess i was just lucky.

I feel the same way. I missed all of these bugs people get in Bethesda games, because I can't recall a single one in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

It's like that horse thingy in Harry Potter that only some people can see.

Fredescu

Gameplay bugs aside, the one thing I'm not looking forward to is all the codec troubleshooting that happens with every Bethesda PC game.

I only had a couple of freezes and glitchy NPCs stuck in walls in Fallout 3, but the second I got the game of the year edition I'd get stuck in rocks/doors/fall through floors and had to just trade it back to gamestop (PS3 Version). My hopes is that New Vegas is more like the vanilla Fallout 3 then the shitty GOTY Edition the pS3 version got....still getting it tuesday though :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fredescu said:
Gameplay bugs aside, the one thing I'm not looking forward to is all the codec troubleshooting that happens with every Bethesda PC game.
Yeah. What i ended up doing that fixed most of the stuff when i got the GOTY was to run it in full-screen windowed mode. i forget the program that i used but it fixed like all the stuttering and static problems. Might have to look that up again whenever i get around to buying this game. Thats why ive been watching the streams.. might be a month or more before i can afford NV :( Really wanted the CE but its either mortgage or that :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
WanderingWind said:
I feel the same way. I missed all of these bugs people get in Bethesda games, because I can't recall a single one in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

It's like that horse thingy in Harry Potter that only some people can see.

So you only get bugs if you have seen someone die?

ok now I just got it in my head to wait for some upgraded texture packs

774-1-1227717249.jpg

that's from the Terrain Pack for Fallout 3. I wonder if it still works on New Vegas?

Varth said:

Oh, so it's an obsidian game.

tokkun

I didn't really like those texture packs. The load times when entering/exiting buildings was a lot higher with the larger textures and all the normal/bump mapping gave a sort of "over-wrought" look to everything as you can see from the screenshots posted above.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I started playing FO3 with all the DLC again in my free time until Tuesday, and I'm sadly falling into my pack-rat ways again. I had long ago beat the vanilla game, but now I'm using the same playthrough to do all the DLC, specifically playing Point Lookout now. Imagine the packrat nightmare that is
defending the mansion with that ghoul Desmond.
I'm already going to have to make dozens of trips back and forth from PL to Megaton later on, but just getting this stuff back to where I'm stashing my stuff was a pain in itself.

tokkun said:
I didn't really like those texture packs. The load times when entering/exiting buildings was a lot higher with the larger textures and all the normal/bump mapping gave a sort of "over-wrought" look to everything as you can see from the screenshots posted above.

Agreed. The world looked nicer, but the character models were still their janky selves, so the contrast was even more apparent.

duckroll

Varth said:

This makes me really, really excited now. Sounds just like what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. :D

Pooya

Varth said:

they've learned nothing :[ , oh well.

chris0701

When does the review embargo lift ?

To be honest , the only thing I want to know is if they really upgrade the visual.:lol :lol :lol

Although the FO3 still looks good to me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Varth said:
Doesn't belong in the bugs, you're right. It's just so bad I can't understand what I have to do at times. BTW: PS3 version.

Well, I'ma make sure I get the 360 version. Getting a PS3 Bethesda/Obsidian game must be asking for trouble.

RS4-

ok whoever posted the money glitch...it still works. I think they just fixed the margin of profit, then again I should find another shop that has more dupes:
- tried it with radiation suits (since they're the only duplicates at this trader at the moment
- buy for 25 caps (damaged)
- sell for 37 (full repaired)

But the trader is also selling a full repaired one for 83; so I guess they just "fixed" the part about not being able to sell it for 83 caps?

Will do more testing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
RS4- said:
ok whoever posted the money glitch...it still works. I think they just fixed the margin of profit, then again I should find another shop that has more dupes:
- tried it with radiation suits (since they're the only duplicates at this trader at the moment

But the trader is also selling a full repaired one for 83; so I guess they just "fixed" the part about not being able to sell it for 83 caps?

Will do more testing.

That sounds fine, though. If you sell back something in better condition, shouldn't it's value increase?

graywolf323

RS4- said:

Will do more testing.
that doesn't sound like a glitch, sounds more like capitalism :lol

Top Bottom