• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

syllogism said:
I played F3 on a similar setup and I recall it ran pretty well on mostly high
May you be blessed sir. :D

And on to the dude that got his xbox stolen.....join the pc master race.

You will NOT regret it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
omg ...

first review

Score: 3/5

Fallout New Vegas is a good game, but it plays second fiddle to Fallout 3. It takes nearly everything about its previous title, while only making minor adjustments to the gameplay, graphics and infrastructure of the game which ultimately makes Fallout New Vegas feel like an old shoe. It's kinda of comfortable but deep down it stinks. The shoe that is, I wouldn't say Fallout: New Vegas stinks it just not as easy to overlook the flaws of the game as it was in Fallout 3. Perhaps it was the less interesting story, or the graphics that feel a tad dated, or the loose and sloppy controls, but I certainly didn't have as much fun with this game as I had with it's predecessor. Though at least there was some fun to be had.

Sn4ke_911 said:
omg ...

first review

Score: 3/5
Fallout New Vegas is a good game, but it plays second fiddle to Fallout 3. It takes nearly everything about its previous title, while only making minor adjustments to the gameplay, graphics and infrastructure of the game which ultimately makes Fallout New Vegas feel like an old shoe. It's kinda of comfortable but deep down it stinks. The shoe that is, I wouldn't say Fallout: New Vegas stinks it just not as easy to overlook the flaws of the game as it was in Fallout 3. Perhaps it was the less interesting story, or the graphics that feel a tad dated, or the loose and sloppy controls, but I certainly didn't have as much fun with this game as I had with it's predecessor. Though at least there was some fun to be had.

I think that shows us the validity of his opinion.

DR2K

Banned
backflip10019 said:
I think that shows us the validity of his opinion.

How does it show that again? You disagree with the review (for no actual reason), find a flaw in the review that has nothing to do with game, and base the validity of the entire review on a grammatical error.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i doubt that NV will get anything higher than an 8. After watching a couple streams i was reminded that people are morons :lol Make really shitty characters (like this one guy with 9% Energy using a laser rifle and always missing.. i could tell he was getting pissed because he kept reloading. He kept dying over and over all the while having like 50%+ in gun.. smh) or they dont explore things (EVERY stream i saw people left some dialogue options open.. its easy to tell because the lines already used are darkened).

Sotha Sil

Fallout New Vegas feel like an old shoe. It's kinda of comfortable but deep down it stinks. The shoe that is, I wouldn't say Fallout: New Vegas stinks it just not as easy to overlook the flaws of the game as it was in Fallout 3.

This... This... is... not good prose. Let's leave it at that.

DR2K said:
How does it show that again? You disagree with the review (for no actual reason), find a flaw in the review that has nothing to do with game, and base the validity of the entire review on a grammatical error.
:lol I meant it kinda of meta-sarcastically.

Rad-

If true then what the fuck has happened to Obsidian? AP didn't have that great of a story either. And from watching the streams, the dialogue is almost Bethesda level. Hopefully there's at least some high points like with AP's dialogue.

Denzar

Eh, more of the same is good in my book. The same controls or graphics will not bother me at all since they did not bother me in F3.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rad- said:
If true then what the fuck has happened to Obsidian? AP didn't have that great of a story either. And from watching the streams, the dialogue is almost Bethesda level. Hopefully there's at least some high points like with AP's dialogue.
ive watched hours of someone playing the main story and it is much more interesting than Finding Daddy, imo. And Bethesda level writing? :lol

DR2K said:

Errors of this type indicate a lack of attention to detail and non-professionalism. If he was willing to miss such a glaring error, perhaps his observation skills (which arguably are pretty important in media review) should be called into question. If they are lacking, then it would be reasonable to call the reviewer's credibility into question.

Grammar, diction, vocabulary; these are all important when you're engaged in internet self-publishing. If you want people to value your opinion, you at the very least need to make sure that you've proofread your article.

I'm expecting that kinda of review for NV. I think this one's going to be geared toward the actual Fallout fan base, rather than as a general crowd pleaser. Fallout 2 was a very well received game, but it had several reviews that were critical of its 'More of the Same' approach.

edit: Upon second reading of that review, I doubt this guy actually even played the game. Everything mentioned in the article is just a regurgitation of what's already been mentioned on the wikia or by Obsidian/Bethesda. Even the bugs I'm not sure about - they sound remarkably similar to the ones in F3. Written for N4G indeed.

Sotha Sil said:
I'm moving to a new flat; some asshole stole the box right off the moving truck (I was carrying something upstairs). I know I should have been more careful, and in some way, I only have myself to blame, but... Just before the NV release. Timing couldn't have been worse.

That sucks! Sorry to hear about that. Effing teeves.

eshwaaz

Questionable writing doesn't invalidate an opinion. The shortcomings mentioned in that review are exactly what I was most concerned about with New Vegas. After 2 years, there should be notable improvements to Fallout 3, not simply "more of the same." I loved Fallout 3 (I put over 100 hours into it), but it had problems that needed fixing. If New Vegas fixes none of them, that's problematic and disappointing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i read through the comments in that review and someone posting under "Obsidian Entertainment" said that the site did not get a review copy and made a review based around the previously released material. i dont know if that poster is legit but.. reading the review over again, looking at the pictures put up, there is nothing there that is specific to the game. Everything is vague and speaks about stuff that everyone knows in in the game. Seems weird.

Luigi87

I must have the collector's edition of this game (PC naturally), but from what I can see here in Canada, my only online option is through GameStop.ca, who charge $5 more...

It seems fate has conspired against me to have me head out come Tuesday and interact with... store clerks... Hopefully I remember how them dialogue trees in FO3 worked!

eshwaaz said:
Questionable writing doesn't invalidate an opinion. The shortcomings mentioned in that review are exactly what I was most concerned about with New Vegas. After 2 years, there should be notable improvements to Fallout 3, not simply "more of the same." I loved Fallout 3 (I put over 100 hours into it), but it had problems that needed fixing. If New Vegas fixes none of them, that's problematic and disappointing.

That's fair, but you can't fault people for rejecting the opinion if its packaged like that. And I agree: If Obisidian releases another seriously bugged game, I don't think we gaffers should spend any further cyber-ink trying to defend them.

I'd just recommend waiting for a review that *actually mentions specific things about the game* before trying to validate this N4G trash. This reads as if he's just skimmed the wikia and watched a few dev videos.

Sotha Sil

DennisK4 said:
Hey GAF, you know how we are supposed to be cool and above getting upset with reviews?

Well, I am not gonna lie - that review makes me RAGE!

Aw, come on, picking at his crappy style is no defense force material! (Or is it?)

Dennis

Banned
The review just bitches about the graphics, third person and that the gameplay haven't changed - never mind that wasn't what this game tries to do better than Fallout 3.

"Oh my god its just like Fallout 3 - a fantastic game, omg this is 3/5"

smh

eshwaaz

bonesmccoy said:
That's fair, but you can't fault people for rejecting the opinion if its packaged like that. And I agree: If Obisidian releases another seriously bugged game, I don't think we gaffers should spend any further cyber-ink trying to defend them.

I'd just recommend waiting for a review that *actually mentions specific things about the game* before trying to validate this N4G trash. This reads as if he's just skimmed the wikia and watched a few dev videos.
I will certainly not be making my purchasing decision based on this one review, and I agree it's not a particularly well-written piece. However, if the problems mentioned end up being the general consensus when all reviews are in, I'm going to be very unhappy.

Also, since some on GAF have managed to get the game early, it's not impossible that this reviewer did the same.

Well, in when it comes desperate attempts to gain visitors to a site, that must have been one the worst ever. I hope Zenimax, Bethesda and Obsidian sends their lawyers on them. :lol

I reject that "review" completely.

stupei

water_wendi said:
i read through the comments in that review and someone posting under "Obsidian Entertainment" said that the site did not get a review copy and made a review based around the previously released material. i dont know if that poster is legit but.. reading the review over again, looking at the pictures put up, there is nothing there that is specific to the game. Everything is vague and speaks about stuff that everyone knows in in the game. Seems weird.

:lol

Yoshi256

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Hey GAF, you know how we are supposed to be cool and above getting upset with reviews?

Well, I am not gonna lie - that review makes me RAGE!

I wouldn't take a review by a page that calls itself "attackofthefanboy" too serious.:D

Does anyone know when the IGN, Gametrailers and Eurogamer reviews go online?

Dennis

Banned
water_wendi said:
Well then....I suppose I should calm the fuck down. Joke site is hopefully a joke of a site.

Razorskin

----- ------
Yoshi256 said:
I wouldn't take a review by a page that calls itself "attackofthefanboy" too serious.:D

Does anyone know when the IGN, Gametrailers and Eurogamer reviews go online?

Well after the embargo is gone on tuesday probably.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
stupei said:
Maybe its just the Obs fan in me but usually reviews give examples to go with their praises and criticisms. The Loved section is 1/3 about Pipboy, 1/3 about a wasteland to explore, and 1/3 its the same as Fallout 3. The Liked paragraph is an explanation of Hardcore mode. Disliked is 1/2 the game is the same as Fallout 3 and 1/2 the story didnt hit home like Fallout 3. Hated was mentioned earlier.

Now that i typed this all out im 100% this person not only did not play the game but they did not even watch a stream of it.

Well I think he did say that he bought it on Friday which would totally give him enough time to play through the game and write a thorough review.

Whether he actually has a copy of the game or not, more than likely he just wrote a bullshit mediocre review to be the first out there and get his shitty forgettable website hits. His plan has worked.

Radogol

water_wendi said:
i read through the comments in that review and someone posting under "Obsidian Entertainment" said that the site did not get a review copy and made a review based around the previously released material.

I think the fact that this comment is gone is pretty telling.

EDIT: Also, one of the screens is a frame from the trailer.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Radogol said:
I think the fact that this comment is gone is pretty telling.
Here is what was said before it was taken down (opened new tab in Firefox to check it out :lol)
fe2i5y.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haha at that "review". It'll take that as seriously as I do a youtube comment, it's clearly just some dumbass kid trying to get some clicks.

Dresden

water_wendi said:
Here is what was said before it was taken down (opened new tab in Firefox to check it out :lol)
http://i51.tinypic.com/fe2i5y.jpg[/IMG]
:lol

And his comment right above the Obsidian guy's post really does make him sound like a tool.

kamspy

Dunno what that half wit is talking about in the review. New Vegas is Fallout 3. Not sure why he keeps referring to that tech demo bethesda released a couple years ago as Fallout 3. Just goes to show how uneducated some people are.

water_wendi said:
Now that i typed this all out im 100% this person not only did not play the game but they did not even watch a stream of it.

Ding ding! We have a a winner! Deliberately vague statements based on information from press releases, knowledge of the previous game, and the sandbox genre in general. The only specifics he mentions appear in the comments where he bizarrely makes more reference to actual events in the game in his post than he does in the entire actual review, and even then they seem to only be events that occur in the first hour of play. No mentions of actual good/bad missions or game mechanics, nothing.

In a nutshell, smart kid writing terrible games site for free in return for ad revenue and occasional review copies lucks out by churning out some remedial garbage before anyone else can get their remedial garbage ready, sits back and watches the clicks come in.

Radogol

water_wendi said:

And they're all gone. Interesting.

Hey, here's my review of Killzone 3:

The graphics are nicer than ever in this installment, but the gameplay is almost identical to earlier games in the series. 4/5

sdornan

Radogol said:
And they're all gone. Interesting.

Hey, here's my review of Killzone 3:

The graphics are nicer than ever in this installment, but the gameplay is almost identical to earlier games in the series. 4/5

Thanks, I'll probably wait until it gets a bit cheaper then.

tokkun

water_wendi said:
i read through the comments in that review and someone posting under "Obsidian Entertainment" said that the site did not get a review copy and made a review based around the previously released material.

Even if he didn't receive a review copy, that doesn't mean he didn't play the game. The 360 version has been available to pirates for as long as it has been to reviewers.

Top Bottom