• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Acerac

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough at about 35 hours. I rushed the end because I knew I messed up my stat allocation early and wanted another playthrough.

What a great game. The options I have for how to complete nearly every quest were amazing, and going with the
Yes Man ending was awesome, despite feeling that he had a bit of Wheatley going on the entire time. The ending dialogue confirmed this, but as long as I never actually see him take over, I can always pretend it didn't happen, right?

On my new playthrough I am throwing karma to the wind since it is a broken mechanic anyways, and I am amazed at the amount of lootable stuff there is just lying around. I thought I was rich my last playthrough. I was obviously wrong.

Just a few hours in with the game.

So "Night Person" and "Solar Powered" work normally in the same character? Most be a common choice since basically you get boosted stats for the entire day.

Abylim

Fixed the bugs yet on the ps3 version? I returned this game after a bad bad run with bugs.

I find myself wanting to play it though. Would definitely re buy if they've actually fixed the bugs(VATS and constant freezing bugs).

Genjikage said:
Fixed the bugs yet on the ps3 version? I returned this game after a bad bad run with bugs.

I find myself wanting to play it though. Would definitely re buy if they've actually fixed the bugs(VATS and constant freezing bugs).

Wait for the GOTY version. I'm guessing that they'll need at least one more patch after the final DLC to iron out any issues it may have introduced and then they'll announce it.

TP17

I bought this yesterday having never played a fallout game before, was going to buy Fallout 3 GOTY edition but couldn't find it. Really enjoying the experience so far and had a great moment early on in Primm:

Saving the deputy from the bison quest, and I must have bypassed a room of convicts by taking a maintenance tunnel route after lock-picking the door, anyway I walk in to find him [the deputy] tied up and 3 enemies enter from another entrance. I throw dynamite and blow them up, but it appears I did some damage to the deputy (I've forgotten his name). He now hobbles everywhere, and what's more he dislikes me as I chose to make the robot the sheriff and he feels robots only see the law in "black and white", so he goes hobbling around cursing - and it's all my doing, haha!

duckroll said:
Every time someone asks, it gets delayed a week. :(
It'll be out September 20th. :D

HD0JX.jpg

They're also releasing the "Courier's Pack" (including all the pre-order DLC) and the "Gun Runner's Arsenal" (including a lot more unique weapons) on September 27th.

I bought the game recently from Steam. I was searching around and there was a performance fix involving a D3D9.dll.

So my question is if i need to copy the file to get better performance or has this been fixed in the latest versions? Im using ATI vidcard btw.

Do mods mess up the steam version? And what visual mods can you get that dont make the game more unstable?

Edit: Was checking fellout mod. It's a very small file and the instructions said i just need to copy the file to the data folder. So do i need an especial launching application to use it or can i launch the game normally like always?

zkylon

zkylewd
Refreshment.01 said:
I bought the game recently from Steam. I was searching around and there was a performance fix involving a D3D9.dll.

So my question is if i need to copy the file to get better performance or has this been fixed in the latest versions?

Do mods mess up the steam version? And what visual mods can you get that dont make the game more unstable?
I think Obsidian finally patched that d3d9.dll thing, because i tried installing the fix, it's crashing the game on startup, but the performance's much better than on release. I think you should be fine without it.

On mods, you can easily use mods with the Steam version, i suggest you use Fallout Mod Manager to install them and to launch the game and for commonly used visual mods there's Fellout and Nevada Skies, which are both good.

zkylon said:
On mods, you can easily use mods with the Steam version, i suggest you use Fallout Mod Manager to install them and to launch the game and for commonly used visual mods there's Fellout and Nevada Skies, which are both good.
Thanks for the MTUI suggestion man, text is a lot more pleasing now.

Question for anyone that knows. I had to instal FOMM to use the "fellout" mod. So will Steam track achievements and play time if im launching New Vegas with FOMM?

Ponti

Refreshment.01 said:

Question for anyone that knows. I had to instal FOMM to use the "fellout" mod. So will Steam track achievements and play time if im launching New Vegas with FOMM?
Yep Steam will still track all of that. You don't really need to start the game with FOMM, normal way is fine, or with NVSE if you have mods that need it.

Sysgen

Refreshment.01 said:

So my question is if i need to copy the file to get better performance or has this been fixed in the latest versions? Im using ATI vidcard btw.

Edit: Was checking fellout mod. It's a very small file and the instructions said i just need to copy the file to the data folder. So do i need an especial launching application to use it or can i launch the game normally like always?

I still use the fix but I use D3D9Gen (for 5000 and 6000 series cards) and I'll say it again for anyone that missed it. If you have Asus GamerOSD uninstall it completely.

zkylon

zkylewd
Refreshment.01 said:

No prob.

My 175 hours and achievements when launching from FOMM are perfectly clocked by Steam :)

Finished Dead Money last night. Don't think I liked it as much as Honest Hearts. It was still pretty cool and had a very unique vibe going on. Creepy. The plethora of exposition in the beginning was a bit of a turn off though. I did like how it tied all the characters together and connected with the events in the rest of the wasteland.

Effect

duckroll said:
Don't let Dead Money's listed level requirement put you off from playing it first when making new characters though. The requirement is clearly originally placed there because it was a one-time scenario which you cannot return to, and it was the first DLC pack. As such, the recommendation is there for first time players, to warn them that it was a hard DLC and would basically require significant experience in the game's mechanics to tackle successfully.

This is good to know. I was curious if the content of that particular DLC scaled or not. I assumed it did but wasn't sure.

Planning on doing another run through the game on the PS3 instead of buying the PC version. Instead plan on just getting the DLC. No reason to double dip like I had planned.

Sorry if im kind of hijacking the thread lately.

zkylon, you recommended me this mod project nevada and i most say it sounds great. But they throw so much the stuff in there that im kind of worried it conflicts with Obsidian gameplay balance. Anyway, i do know you can skip most of the features.

My question is if i just allow grenade hotkeys, sprint and visor effects, will everything else about the game stay the same? Also read in the troubleshoot that it may cause some conflicts with implants.

Also by installing via FOMM i wont have to worry about any MTUI conflicts? Because it says it might surge if using a manual installation.

My thoughts on the ending for Old World Blues

LOL, the giant roboscorpion was easy as pie on normal (I'm low on stimpacks). All I had to do was turn on the Protectrons to distract him and it took less than 10 shots from Elijah's LAER to bust him. Even Dr. Mobius sounded like he wasn't too confident in it.

It sucks that, apparently, the only way to end the scientist conflict is to kill BOTH Mobius and the Think Tank. I liked talking to Mobius and was hoping to join him at the end, but the very last dialogue option is to kill him. What's weird, especially for Obsidian's method, is how pointless the skill checks were. I don't know if there's another way to end it.

My biggest gripe with OWB is its length. It took exactly 10 hours to finish. I wish I had the option to leave and do other quests a lot earlier and not at the end. The only sidequest available was upgrading the Sink (rofl @ the toaster). I notice that the map feels small, even compared to Zion, and that the few locations are sparsely dispersed to give an Oblivion-like sense of scale.

I thought it was extremely funny and I like the new weapons and I hope Lonesome Road is just as entertaining but gives me more options.

ChoklitReign said:
My thoughts on the ending for Old World Blues

LOL, the giant roboscorpion was easy as pie on normal (I'm low on stimpacks). All I had to do was turn on the Protectrons to distract him and it took less than 10 shots from Elijah's LAER to bust him. Even Dr. Mobius sounded like he wasn't too confident in it.

It sucks that, apparently, the only way to end the scientist conflict is to kill BOTH Mobius and the Think Tank. I liked talking to Mobius and was hoping to join him at the end, but the very last dialogue option is to kill him. What's weird, especially for Obsidian's method, is how pointless the skill checks were. I don't know if there's another way to end it.

My biggest gripe with OWB is its length. It took exactly 10 hours to finish. I wish I had the option to leave and do other quests a lot earlier and not at the end. The only sidequest available was upgrading the Sink (rofl @ the toaster). I notice that the map feels small, even compared to Zion, and that the few locations are sparsely dispersed to give an Oblivion-like sense of scale.

I thought it was extremely funny and I like the new weapons and I hope Lonesome Road is just as entertaining but gives me more options.

Concerning the OWB ending
You don't have to kill either Mobius or The Think Tank, I didn't. Sure the dialogue is the option to kill Mobius, but you can just end the conversation and walk away. When you do, and report back to The Think Tank, you get more dialogue options and don't have to kill them either. In my ending, both Mobius and The Think Tank were still happily alive and doing research at the Big MT.

Holden

hey, im trying to replay this game and but i'm having an issue with mouse acceleration in menus. I can't play with this mouse acceleration it's way to fast. I've googled some stuff and managed to fix ingame mouse acceleration but not Pip Boy / Menu options. Can anybody help?

EDIT: NVM, i just had to search on google a bit longer.... t.t

Darkshier said:
You don't have to kill either Mobius or The Think Tank, I didn't. Sure the dialogue is the option to kill Mobius, but you can just end the conversation and walk away. When you do, and report back to The Think Tank, you get more dialogue options and don't have to kill them either. In my ending, both Mobius and The Think Tank were still happily alive and doing research at the Big MT.
What do you mean "end the conversation"?
You say you're gonna kill him and you just walk away? Doesn't he aggro and you can't leave the room?
What lines were available to you?

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beat Honest Hearts for the first time. The whole DLC was kinda disappointing storywise to me.
Neither Joshua Graham's story nor the overall world of tribals was expanded as much as i would've liked. I wanted to know so much more about Joshua Graham and you barely even talk to him.
The setting was great, though, and i like to see tribals again.

Off to the Big Empty, then!

Refreshment.01 said:
Sorry if im kind of hijacking the thread lately.

zkylon, you recommended me this mod project nevada and i most say it sounds great. But they throw so much the stuff in there that im kind of worried it conflicts with Obsidian gameplay balance. Anyway, i do know you can skip most of the features.

My question is if i just allow grenade hotkeys, sprint and visor effects, will everything else about the game stay the same? Also read in the troubleshoot that it may cause some conflicts with implants.

Also by installing via FOMM i wont have to worry about any MTUI conflicts? Because it says it might surge if using a manual installation.
Yeah, everything else will stay the same if you disable whatever you don't want and set the rebalance mod to the vanilla values (you can try playing with the values until you reach something you like but i think the default PN values are pretty great). And you shouldn't have any problems installing with FOMM.

ChoklitReign said:
You say you're gonna kill him and you just walk away? Doesn't he aggro and you can't leave the room?
I just walked away, and ended the conversation, don't remember what the exact dialogue choice was. I know I had that one and kill mobius, so I chose the one that didn't have to do with killing him. No he doesn't aggro and for me, the conversation just ended. I might play through that part again later and let you know exactly what it said.

ChoklitReign said:

If you pick the choices about wanting your brain back he'll suggest you go talk to it, if you pick one of the threatening choices I think that pretty much means you have to kill him.

Fjordson

ChoklitReign said:

Darkshier said:

Yeah, my ending was similar to Darkshier's.

Though before I left Mobius, the dialogue led to him telling me to deal with the Think Tank, peacefully or otherwise. Once there I was able to get Klein to back down with the support of the others. I think because I had finished all of their side quests. End result was them staying at Big MT and continuing their research in peace.

anddo0

Not digging Old World Blues. I'm about two hours in. The humor just doesn't click with me. I find robot voices annoying, and the doctor over the loud speaker is worse than Elijah.. My dlc ranking so far is Honest Hearts, Dead Money, Old World Blues.

I agree with that ranking so far. I think the dialogue in OWB is the funniest and best in all of NV but something just isn't clicking for me. It might be how the quests so far are just too obviously about fetching things. The world is really cool, though. It's great how the DLC environments are different not only from the main game but each other. And I love all the new items in the DLC, really want that Gun Runner's DLC

I think that Old World Blues is a little too crazy even for Fallout standards, while is has some really good humor and unique situations it is really hard to connect it with the rest of stuff going on in the wasteland IMO.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Which DLC pack should I try first? I've finished my first play through and I'm around level 23. Looking for the most awesome really, but I will definitely buy them all.

mikespit1200 said:
Which DLC pack should I try first? I've finished my first play through and I'm around level 23. Looking for the most awesome really, but I will definitely buy them all.

Playing through them in order would probably make the most sense. Old World Blues has several little things you can find that make more sense if you've already played Dead Money (And at least one thing that makes more sense if you played Honest Hearts). All three also sort of paint a picture of the events that will happen in Lonesome Road, which are probably better heard in order.

I'm finding the order doesn't really matter. They all reference each other, and the main game, so if you played Old World Blues, Dead money will illuminate some things you learned and vice versa. In fact you find out some things in Old World Blues that happen chronologically before Dead Money. Of course playing them in order of release always works fine.

Honest Hearts is the easiest with both Dead Money and Old World Blues being noticeably harder, even at higher levels. You may also want to play each one depending on which weapons, armor, and other items you want. Honest Hearts has more tribal related weaponry. OWB is very energy weapon related, Dead Money doesn't have any obvious identity but I felt like I should've got my melee and unarmed skills up.

Top Bottom