• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

cory021

Neo Member
I just started playing this for the first time after playing Oblivion for the last two months. I'm only a few hours in, but I can definitely see the improvements in almost everything now :p

For example, I love how the first few quests start you out. Your in Doc Mitchel's house and he tells you to talk to Sunny about using guns (or something like that...). So, you go and help her and kill a bunch of Geckos. After that, she leaves you placed conveniently right next to the Goodspring well, something that can be useful in Hardcore mode. Then she suggests you go back to the Saloon to get acquainted with the locals, which is where you're introduced to the Powder Gangers.

It's so much more streamlined than Oblivion. I've already beaten it once as Mr. House; but I think I'll enjoy it much more the second playthrough.

hemtae

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think the Lonesome Road achievements imply we will be able to take companions

Nobody posted these Lonesome Road shots yet?

BeLxR.jpg

7IKZ0.jpg

0zgGu.jpg

I dunno. Looks like a lizard man. :lol

I think everything in the Divide is going to be horribly mutated some way. You need to be tough to be able to withstand storms like that.

Is it possible to pickpocket all merchants?

Trying to repair my armor to its fullest from Major Knight then stealing my money back. So far no luck even with a Stealth Boy and 100 Sneak skill.

hauton

So any idea if we've hit end of the line on the DLC yet?

I played FO3 and a few of the DLCs, it was good but nothing great.

Heard NV improved things considerably and I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'd rather wait for all the DLCs to come out so I can experience it in one cohesive playthrough.

The last dlc should be out on September 20, 2011. So I would expect the GOTY edition to follow soon after.

edit: forgot about the weapon pack, should be out on Sept 27th

Coxswain

ShaneDude said:
Next to the Weapon names, some have a capital M besides them. Any idea what that means?
Do you have A World of Pain installed? I'm pretty sure that adds in the M versions of a bunch of the base game's weapons. I'm not sure if there was any rhyme or reason behind it; I didn't like AWoP and uninstalled it after an hour or two.

one85x

Grimm Fandango said:
Is it possible to pickpocket all merchants?

Trying to repair my armor to its fullest from Major Knight then stealing my money back. So far no luck even with a Stealth Boy and 100 Sneak skill.
It's definitely possible. I think success rate has to do with the amount you're trying to steal though. ~5,000 is pretty easy, but 10,000+ is near impossible.

ShaneDude

Coxswain said:
Do you have A World of Pain installed? I'm pretty sure that adds in the M versions of a bunch of the base game's weapons. I'm not sure if there was any rhyme or reason behind it; I didn't like AWoP and uninstalled it after an hour or two.

Yeah i do have AWOP. Thanks, I guess that's it.

TP17

Just completed my first playthrough and LOVED it. First fallout game I've played and it was a great experience, will definitely do another playthrough with emphasis on different skills now I know how they all work and can ignore the main quests.

I completed it for
Mr.House - Why? Vegas, baby!

Linkhero1

This is the first Western RPG I've ever played. I'm about 30 hours into it and I'm just doing a lot of side missions before finishing the game off. I love it.

I think I'm going to play Fallout 3 as soon as I'm done :D

zkylon

zkylewd
Linkhero1 said:
This is the first Western RPG I've ever played. I'm about 30 hours into it and I'm just doing a lot of side missions before finishing the game off. I love it.

I think I'm going to play Fallout 3 as soon as I'm done :D
Congrats on breaking the WRPG barrier. Nowhere to go but up from here ;)

Kurtofan

So I recently came back from vacation and haven't played the last DLCs.
Are they worth it?No spoil, please.
I liked Dead Money and Honest Hearts.

hemtae

Kurtofan said:
So I recently came back from vacation and haven't played the last DLCs.
Are they worth it?No spoil, please.
I liked Dead Money and Honest Hearts.

imo, its the best one. Definitely worth it if you like fallout humor

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
HadesGigas said:
It'd be fun if they waited longer on a GotY edition than usual as to not interfere with Skyrim launch.
The punchline is that there will be no GotY edition because it didnt get any GotY award.

If they're not going to call it GOTY Edition, I'd rather they go with something Vegas/gambling related. High Roller edition, All In Edition, No Limit edition, etc..

Psi

VistraNorrez said:
If they're not going to call it GOTY Edition, I'd rather they go with something Vegas/gambling related. High Roller edition, All In Edition, No Limit edition, etc..

Double or Nothing Edition, to troll the people who already bought it.

VistraNorrez said:

But then people will think we didn't win any awards!

Grinchy

Banned
New Vegas: Rivered Edition

I just hope when they do come out with the "everything edition" that the standalone DLC goes on sale again too. I stupidly passed up on it when it was all $5 apiece.

Linkhero1

I just realized Fallout caused me to fall in love with older music. I don't think I would have listened to a lot of these songs before playing Fallout.

♫ Yes, I've got heartaches by the number
A love that I can't win
But the day that I stop counting
That's the day my world will end ♫

Replaying the game has caused me to get a much better opinion of Dead Money. The companions are just so interesting, as is the whole Sierra Madre area. Sure, the collars are annoying, as is the cloud, but they cause you to take risks and explore other routes. The Ghost People may be tough, but they're fair most of the time.

On the other hand, my opinion of Old World Blues has dropped significantly. The world's just not that interesting, the characters are only funny the first time, and constantly getting harrassed by Lobotomites/Nightstalkers/Zombie Suits/Cyberdogs/Whatever got old pretty quickly. My sneak skill is at 100, and even with the stealth suit equipped I usually can't run from one map marker to another without constantly being in the "CAUTION!"-status.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Started another playthrough to play the DLC and was wondering if it's possible to do Dead Money and Honest Hearts at low levels (think I'm around 8 atm).

duckroll

Ikuu said:
Started another playthrough to play the DLC and was wondering if it's possible to do Dead Money and Honest Hearts at low levels (think I'm around 8 atm).

You can do Honest Hearts at lvl2 if you wanted. It's totally doable. Dead Money might be... a bit harder. It really depends on your build. Dead Money relies quite a bit on various skill checks, both for conversations as well as for hacking, lockpicking, disarming, etc. Since you're stripped of all your gear, you can't bring in a bunch of skill books and drugs to easily help either. I'll say do Honest Hearts first, and use that to buff your levels a bit. If you go in HH at 8, you should come out with a much more improved character who should be able to handle Dead Money decently.

You can definitely do Honest Hearts. Think I did it around 10. Don't know about Dead Money, but I did that at too high a level, in the mid 30s, and the enemies were pretty brutal. Try doing DM after HH and you'll probably be at a good level.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lionheart1337 said:
But then people will think we didn't win any awards!
You worked on New Vegas? Props to you my man. So jealous!

Blue Ninja said:
Replaying the game has caused me to get a much better opinion of Dead Money. The companions are just so interesting, as is the whole Sierra Madre area. Sure, the collars are annoying, as is the cloud, but they cause you to take risks and explore other routes. The Ghost People may be tough, but they're fair most of the time.
Same here, i loved all of Dead Money, even if it was a little annoying, and being stripped of your inventory and left only with your skills and whatever you scavenge was very thrilling. I tried to play the other DLCs that way, and it kinda works, but the atmosphere is not the same.

Ever managed to hit any of the Ghost People with one of their throwing spears? I can't never seem to get the timing right. Maybe 7 ST is not enough.

Top Bottom