• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

This is precisely how I feel right now. Playing Skyrim has made me want to dive back into New Vegas instead. I still really enjoy Skyrim, but I think I gorged on it in too short a period of a time and, currently, am in the middle of a slew of quests I just don't care for, at all. New Vegas had so many quests that I simply had to see to their end, and I really want that right now.

Kinda the opposite with me. I'm glad I managed to finish everything I wanted to with my final New Vegas character, because I don't think I'll be able to go back in the first few months, if at all. Maybe eventually, though.

I hope lots of people got this game during the Steam sale. It's absolutely fantastic, and in my humble opinion much better than Skyrim except for the graphics (obviously). Obsidian truly nailed it.

So far I like the two about even, although Skyrim obviously looks leaps and bounds better than even modded New Vegas with vanilla. But the biggest difference for me is the stability; Skyrim's engine is about 65,123,953,200 times more stable on PC than New Vegas'. It's absurd how I got random what the heck crashes all the time in New Vegas and have yet to see a single, solitary one in Skyrim.

That being said, people should still very much play this game. It's excellent and one of my favorite RPGs.

Fjordson

is precisely how I feel right now. Playing Skyrim has made me want to dive back into New Vegas instead. I still really enjoy Skyrim, but I think I gorged on it in too short a period of a time and, currently, am in the middle of a slew of quests I just don't care for, at all. New Vegas had so many quests that I simply had to see to their end, and I really want that right now.

Yeah, I love Skyrim, but the Fallout universe is much closer to my heart than TES. Probably going to go back to FO 3 or NV soon for another playthrough.

Already can't wait for Fallout 4 :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Downloaded 7 fully-voiced quests, Nevada Skies, Project Nevada, a bunch of graphics effects mods, also weapons and some other stuff + all DLC.

LET'S DO IT.

Are there any recommended character builds out there? I've tried googling, but I'm finding a lot of crappy looking stuff.

My current character is based on Charisma, though I have a fairly good gun skill as well.

Ideally, I'd want to play a character based around stealth and charisma, but no idea how'd I'd go about making one. High agility, intelligence, and charisma I suppose. I don't know how much I'd be able to drop strength, endurance, and luck. Also no idea what to do for tagged skills. Maybe speech/sneak/lockpick.

Also I tried playing a stealthy character for a bit and had a fairly good sneak skill, but people always knew if I pickpocketed them. Is there some secret trick to it? Like do I have to put something of near equal weight in their pocket?

Just finished. Was erring NCR the whole time but some bug prevented me from finishing For The Republic Pt. 2, so I had to side with
Yes Man
. Little surprised at how buff my character was. I had Guns, Lockpick, Medicine and Speech all at 100 at only level 24, is this normal? Not to say I didn't still have problems, those deathclaws by Quarry Junction still scared the shit out of me.

subversus

just finished Dead Money DLC.

It's the best DLC I have played so far since the beginning of this gen. Well, one of the best.

very tense, very hard, very rewarding. Good writing with self-contained plot on top of it. The only downside is that there could be too much trial and error in some parts.

Back to Mojave. Feels like home despite ugly graphics. I wish Bethesda let Obsidian do Fallout one more time...........

So is this game mostly desert? I have a thing with desert settings...can't stand them. Are there any variations in scenery at all? It's not too important, just wondering. I mainly bought it because it was $5 and it's from Obsidian (which I didn't know until a while back), and I've never really played any first-person WRPGs.

Can't wait to play once I finish up some other games.

Fjordson

So is this game mostly desert? I have a thing with desert settings...can't stand them. Are there any variations in scenery at all? It's not too important, just wondering. I mainly bought it because it was $5 and it's from Obsidian (which I didn't know until a while back), and I've never really played any first-person WRPGs.

A lot of it is, yeah. There are a ton of cool locations to explore (some great vaults here) and the Strip is pretty cool, but a lot of the general outside landscape is desert.

I never felt bored with the setting, though. I'd say you'll be pleasantly surprised once you start playing.

_Isaac

You were turned off from Red Dead Redemption's setting, and that had more variety than this in my opinion. Some parts in New Vegas aren't so deserty, but it really is like 98 percent desert so far for me. The vaults that supposedly break up the setting are also somewhat similar to each other.

kai3345

Banned
I'm about lvl 8, doing my second playthrough since I haven't done any of the DLC aside from Dead Money. Is this an appropriate level to start Honest Hearts?

duckroll

I'm about lvl 8, doing my second playthrough since I haven't done any of the DLC aside from Dead Money. Is this an appropriate level to start Honest Hearts?

It's fine. Honest Hearts scales the best out of all the DLC. You can do it at low levels or high levels.

NBtoaster

I do want to play this game some more (got Honest Hearts ages ago but never played it), but I have some bug that makes a lot my save files endlessly load.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Been offline with consoles for a few days due to a move, so I have gotten about eight hours into a second play through, this time in Hardcore Mode. It isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be, other than having to quick travel back to doctors when you don't have a bag or Hyrda with you. I never messed with the Survival skill last time, it is pretty useful. Now I'll finally get to see the NCR ending since my original game was messed up - even if you are in good graces with NCR if you prevented a particular assassination for Mr. House it ruins the quest line.

subversus

Project Nevada makes shooting in this game so fun. Limbs are flying everywhere.

also some cool loot in New Vegas Bounties:

ih22S.jpg

I think I'll dump Veronica because her melee skills aren't much of use - every time I kill an opponent with an energy weapon he/she explodes when Veronica is nearby.

Vamphuntr

Got this on the steam sales with all of the DLC packs. I had played the PS3 version at a friend's before but we gave up on it as it kept freezing so bad we couldn't progress. PC version is at least playable (it does crash often though).

Liking the game a lot but I shouldn't have gone in the Old World Blues DLC. The warning pop up said level 15+ and I went at level 16 and I'm getting owned badly. I'm wearing a power armor and I have really strong energy/explosives weapons. It seems the bad guy keep sending waves of robots and scorpions after you everytime you find a new location? At one point I had 7 scorpions after me + the enemies from the area itself (botanical garden). I had like 70+ stimpacks when I entered and now I'm in the low 20s. Seems like I can't get out either until I clear the main quests.

Anyone has tips/advices for this DLC?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I grabbed a power fist and upgraded it, then just punched all the scorpions, It can be pretty difficult with all the shit that he sends at you though.

Vamphuntr

The pulse gun upgraded to thing you find in Higgs Village is really effective against the robo-scorpions

You mean the Sonic Emitter that you upgrade with those holotapes? I got the taoe in Higgs Village I think, the opera tape. It doesn't do much damage by itself, you have to hope yo land a critical hit so that it trigger the special effect you imbued in it. I'll try the opera tape now.

I can't really use the fists I find because my character is not really great with melee weapons.

Hopefully I can keep abusing the chemistry set to generate stimpacks or I will run out of stimpacks soon.

subversus

Well, Honest Hearts started well. I talked to everybody before that and what happened after we arrived was a bummer.

hemtae

Well, Honest Hearts started well. I talked to everybody before that and what happened after we arrived was a bummer.

I hated how it was a scripted event that they all died. I shot like four White Legs and then there was a rain of bullets that looked like they came from above all of the characters. Such a shame.

Fjordson

You mean the Sonic Emitter that you upgrade with those holotapes? I got the taoe in Higgs Village I think, the opera tape. It doesn't do much damage by itself, you have to hope yo land a critical hit so that it trigger the special effect you imbued in it. I'll try the opera tape now.

I can't really use the fists I find because my character is not really great with melee weapons.

Hopefully I can keep abusing the chemistry set to generate stimpacks or I will run out of stimpacks soon.
Old World Blues can be pretty difficult. The enemy count gets crazy high in some spots.

The Opera Tape should help. Also, go back to Higgs Village and grab the Tarantula tape. 60 damage and it sets enemies on fire if you crit. It's in House 00. It's upstairs in the leftmost room. I used that for most of the DLC when fighting robo-scorpions.

Why is my character unable to deal damage? I'm at level 9, and have the Guns skill at 60 or so. I'm focusing on one-handed weapons, so I'm not expecting a great amount of damage, but when
Legionary Assassins
that don't look heavily armored attack me my bullets seem to do nothing. I'll shoot someone point blank in the head 6 times and see them only lose a sliver of their health bar, if even that.

What's the deal?

Thankfully I have 8 charisma so my companions are dealing 40% extra damage.

Also I hope I find more merchants soon. I've been collecting and repairing valuable weapons I don't use, and they sell for 500-2k caps. None of the merchants can afford to buy them off me anymore.

one85x

The assassination groups actually have some high DT armor. Armor piercing bullets can help deal additional damage, but you'll still have a tough time killing them with your typical level 9 weapons.

The assassination groups actually have some high DT armor. Armor piercing bullets can help deal additional damage, but you'll still have a tough time killing them with your typical level 9 weapons.

Why would the game throw them at me at such a low level then? :(

Were I using a typical non-Charisma build my companions probably wouldn't have been able to do the job. What's the typical protocol? Run?

one85x

Why would the game throw them at me at such a low level then? :(

Were I using a typical non-Charisma build my companions probably wouldn't have been able to do the job. What's the typical protocol? Run?
You can try shooting their weapon out of their hand then picking it up before they can. I think even shooting the weapon itself will sometimes cause them to put it away if you manage to break it.

You can try shooting their weapon out of their hand then picking it up before they can. I think even shooting the weapon itself will sometimes cause them to put it away if you manage to break it.

Good idea.

It's actually funny, they kept shooting a bunch of civilians, so I kept restarting the encounter. Then eventually I fired random pistol shots at them, hoping to lure them away, but I think I hit some kind of plasma grenade because all of the sudden there was a green explosion and they all died.

subversus

I hated
how it was a scripted event that they all died. I shot like four White Legs and then there was a rain of bullets that looked like they came from above all of the characters. Such a shame.

But I liked that it is scripted. Such events are out of control of an individual.

And yes, they came from above, they were appearing on the ledges.

Edited spoilers for you

Are people happy with the "additional commands/interface" mod available? I really want to use the mod that allows for kicking down locked doors, using explosives for locks, etc, but I am hesitant about it's interaction with the game and interface in general. Good reactions from people here? Not worth installing?

subversus

Are people happy with the "additional commands/interface" mod available? I really want to use the mod that allows for kicking down locked doors, using explosives for locks, etc, but I am hesitant about it's interaction with the game and interface in general. Good reactions from people here? Not worth installing?

it's actually a part of Project Nevada, I'll try it and report back.

Top Bottom