• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lime

The more time passes since last time I played it (February this year), the more I appreciate the game, despite its amount of bugs. I really liked the setting (post-apocalyptic western), the characters and the overarching political plot. It's actually pretty heart-warming that a game with these shades of morals and decisions and bleak outlook on its gameworld have been made in this day and age.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing this game for the first time. Pretty damn good.

I set off in a random direction as soon as the game let me (which, mercifully, was pretty quickly). The first place I encountered was a little abandoned campsite with little flies buzzing around. I was like: Oh, cool, these must be like the bloat flies in FO3. WRONG. Little fucking flies fucked me up.

Soooo, I reloaded and set off in a different direction. I came across the Goodsprings cemetary, and then Goodsprings. Met some nice folks, committed to some missions, and then promptly ignored said missions in favor of more exploring.

The first really jaw dropping moment I had was encountering the Mojave Outpost. The giant statues (not sure if spoilers are necessary now, but doing so just in case), while somewhat cheesey, also made an imposing impression on me as I approached.

The second "wow" moment I had was infiltrating a Legion camp, wiping everybody out, and freeing an enslaved family. Fuck you, you oppressive tyrant fucks. Eat plasma rifle.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my biggest complaint thus far was also my biggest complaint with FO3. The main urban area is a pain in the ass to navigate. It's like legitimately unfun. I avoid it. It's really unfortunate that they can't get it right.

hemtae

omg.kittens said:
I just started playing this game for the first time. Pretty damn good.

I set off in a random direction as soon as the game let me (which, mercifully, was pretty quickly). The first place I encountered was a little abandoned campsite with little flies buzzing around. I was like: Oh, cool, these must be like the bloat flies in FO3. WRONG. Little fucking flies fucked me up.

Soooo, I reloaded and set off in a different direction. I came across the Goodsprings cemetary, and then Goodsprings. Met some nice folks, committed to some missions, and then promptly ignored said missions in favor of more exploring.

The first really jaw dropping moment I had was encountering the Mojave Outpost. The giant statues (not sure if spoilers are necessary now, but doing so just in case), while somewhat cheesey, also made an imposing impression on me as I approached.

The second "wow" moment I had was infiltrating a Legion camp, wiping everybody out, and freeing an enslaved family. Fuck you, you oppressive tyrant fucks. Eat plasma rifle.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my biggest complaint thus far was also my biggest complaint with FO3. The main urban area is a pain in the ass to navigate. It's like legitimately unfun. I avoid it. It's really unfortunate that they can't get it right.

A tip for the cazadors (the things that ate you alive in the beginning), shoot them in the wings.

And yeah, Vegas and Freeside are a major pain in the ass because of all of loading screens.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
hemtae said:
A tip for the cazadors (the things that ate you alive in the beginning), shoot them in the wings.

And yeah, Vegas and Freeside are a major pain in the ass because of all of loading screens.
The loading screens don't bug me soooo much. It's the obtuse paths from Point A to Point B. And all the walls blocking your path that aren't clear on the map. So frustrating.

Thanks for the tip with the flies!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Gentlemen! A question, if I may be so bold. But first, the plot:

Had F:NV on the PS3 for a while now, already have Dead Money, and want to get another DLC pack at the start of next month but can only afford one. Could you tell me what the best DLC is in your opinion, and why (Avoiding spoilers, natch). Planning on getting Gun Runners Arsenal along with it too.

Cheers m'dears.

hemtae

My favorite is Old World Blues, but if you want to see the end of what was foreshadowed at the end of Dead Money, then get Lonesome Road.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
hemtae said:
My favorite is Old World Blues, but if you want to see the end of what was foreshadowed at the end of Dead Money, then get Lonesome Road.

With the quick glances I looked at all of 'em, I was leaning slightly toward OWB as well, but I needed some tried n' tested input before I made a choice. Decision made! Splendid!

Although Dead Money teased the fuck out of me with that ending, I think I can wait on Lonesome Road until the month after.

So I can't figure out how to get to Vault 22. I've played through the game several times, and been through Vault 22 everytime, but for some reason I just can't get to it this time. It seems like there's a mountain or invisible wall everywhere I try to go. Anyone want to give me directions, like where I should start from and how to get there?

Jhoan

This is slightly off-topic but Fallout 3 GOTY Edition is on sale for 20 bucks on Newegg (console version only). I ordered it again after selling my copy Fallout 3 two years ago since playing New Vegas warmed me up to the series and I realized that it's a pretty good game despite the boring combat.

Still though, the writing in FO:NV is fantastic and I love the shades of grey that this game has as opposed to FO3's black or white morality system so I prefer NV over it. That said, I got Dead Money and Honest Hearts when they were on sale last month and found myself enjoying both of them equally. For Dead Money I hated
the fact that there was absolutely no way to take all the gold with you out of the vault before it blows up. Plus I felt bad for not being able to see Veronica's girlfriend after it was said and done.

Now I'm just waiting for Old World Blues, Lonesome Road and the Gun Runners Arsenal Quest to be on sale so I could get them both. I enjoyed the references that each one made to other DLC quests.

For Dead Money I hated
the fact that there was absolutely no way to take all the gold with you out of the vault before it blows up. Plus I felt bad for not being able to see Veronica's girlfriend after it was said and done.

That was the point, man!

moojito

For Dead Money I hated

You can, there are a ton of youtube videos showing you how.

Jhoan

That was the point, man!

Most I was able to take was 7 bars....

You can, there are a ton of youtube videos showing you how.
I know; greed was the whole theme of that episode. It was well done and interesting in that asks you the player how greedy are you?

7 bars? Interesting. Since I have a save point before I look I enter the office I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to boot it up.

I did look at youtube videos. It's something about finding a glitch and exploiting it in order to take all the bars plus equipment.

hemtae

I know; greed was the whole theme of that episode. It was well done and interesting in that asks you the player how greedy are you?

7 bars? Interesting. Since I have a save point before I look I enter the office I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to boot it up.

I did look at youtube videos. It's something about finding a glitch and exploiting it in order to take all the bars plus equipment.

You can do it without a glitch

So with all the DLC released and the ultimate edition coming out next year are they done supporting the standard release? Cause I'm playing through it again, and it froze five times while attempting to do Boone's quest before I managed to finish it, and everytime I fast travel to certain populated areas an enemy will pop up. A gecko at Camp Golf, a Cazador at Jacobstown, even a Legion soldier in an outhouse at a NCR ranger station. Could use another patch.

EDIT: Also does anyone know of any cool optional things to try in the game? I was browsing the Fallout wiki and saw that you can actually ask Victor for help in defending Goodsprings at the start, which is something that I hadn't even thought to try before, since it's not mentioned even as an optional objective.

In the Dead Money DLC
I did not rest until I took all the gold bars.

Now I pretty much am God in the regular game with my unlimited source of caps.

Jhoan

Are all the DLC weapons and outfits backwards compatible with the main game?

Yes, they carry back over to the main game which means you could mow down Deathclaws pretty easily with OP weapons (at least that's what I'd like to do).

I might make a RTTP thread for Fallout 3 at some given point or revive the old thread. I wonder how different it is from NV.

Dresden

Man, I want to play this game so badly again now that my Skyrim addiction is starting to wear off. That ultimate edition can't come sooner.

Okay just got all the DLC from the sale and loaded it into my current save only to find I get 60 pounds of extra equipment and can no longer run. Is there a safehouse anywhere that I can dump some of my gear?

Okay just got all the DLC from the sale and loaded it into my current save only to find I get 60 pounds of extra equipment and can no longer run. Is there a safehouse anywhere that I can dump some of my gear?

You could try dumping a few items in a trash can/crate/random container, fast travel to your house (do you have the novac stash house yet?), unload, fast travel back and repeat.

I know I could store items in random boxes in FO3, it should work in NV I'm guessing. Just make sure to save before in case it bugs out on ya.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just bought this from the Steam sale, any recommended mods? I mainly want bug-fixing mods and graphical enhancements. Any complete re-textures out there? :) Sorry if it's been asked before.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Thanks, also can anyone tell me why my Old World Blues DLC has disappeared? It doesnt show up on my DLC list. I bought it a few months ago and finished it and it looks like it's completely gone from the game and my steam library.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I see New Vegas is cheap on Steam atm for $9.99, I just got a question to ask that may have been asked many times (I did a search, no avail). Out of FO3 and NV which would you recommend? I've played FO3 for a few hours and enjoyed it but don't own either.

I see New Vegas is cheap on Steam atm for $9.99, I just got a question to ask that may have been asked many times (I did a search, no avail). Out of FO3 and NV which would you recommend? I've played FO3 for a few hours and enjoyed it but don't own either.

I'd definitely recommend New Vegas. It's an all around better experience, especially when it comes to quest design and writing.

Wallach

Definitely NV if you can only play one of them.

Fjordson

Tough choice. I think both are fantastic, but I think I prefer New Vegas. And if you have any fondness at all for the first two games, you'll probably love NV more. It just "feels" similar to those first two games as far as atmosphere and tone and does a great job of handling the universe.

Emitan

If Obsidian made a traditional Fallout game in the Onyx engine... OH MY GOD.

I just wish this game was actually turn based.

Anyone try the Nevada Sky mod? Seems like a cool mod that adds weather and more detailed clouds.

It's my first play through and I'm 14 hours in. At first I didn't like it as much as FO3 but its steadily getting better and better.

Do most of you usually start with mods or add them further in or on second play's?

Anyone try the Nevada Sky mod? Seems like a cool mod that adds weather and more detailed clouds.

It's my first play through and I'm 14 hours in. At first I didn't like it as much as FO3 but its steadily getting better and better.

Do most of you usually start with mods or add them further in or on second play's?

I had the Nevada Sky mod installed last playthrough, it was pretty cool.

First playthrough was the week it released on Steam, I beat it without doing much sidequest stuff. No mods at all.

A few months ago I started again with a bunch of mods and had a lot of fun. Haven't beat the second playthrough yet. Will probably do a third (energy weapons or melee) playthrough, will try some more mods then too.

I'm probably going to do the same with Skyrim. I'm playing it with no mods, will probably load up a ton of mods a year from now and give it a second play through.

For a first playthrough I'd recommend the graphic update mods (texture packs, fellout, etc) and maybe the bounties mod.

BeeDog

I hope lots of people got this game during the Steam sale. It's absolutely fantastic, and in my humble opinion much better than Skyrim except for the graphics (obviously). Obsidian truly nailed it.

Finally managed to accomplish one of my goals in this game, visited every marked location in the main game except the Legate's Camp, Dry Wells, and the Long 15.

Redrum_82

I bought the game and all the DLC and I'm about to start my first playthrough.

Should I activate all the DLC at the beginning or should I play the main game first? Is there a specific order I should play the DLCs or are they independent to each other?

Lakitu

st5fu

Should I activate all the DLC at the beginning or should I play the main game first? Is there a specific order I should play the DLCs or are they independent to each other?

They're independent to each other but they offer hints, especially Dead Money. You can play in any order you want, but if I'd rank them in order of difficulty (from highest to lowest), it would be:

Dead Money
Old World Blues
Lonesome Road
Honest Hearts

Also, you'd want to finish them before you finish the main quest because upon completing the main quest, you can't return to the Mojave.

That said, enjoy the game, it's phenomenal. One thing that Obsidian done so well was just how important your character feels in the world.

activate them all before you start but ignore them until you are about level 15-20+, then do them in the order they came out (DM, HH, OWB, LR) when you want to. Avoid finishing the main quest until you have done everything you want to, because once you start the endgame you can't go back.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I reinstalled New Vegas and will give it a go with some mods for my second playthrough, which I hope to start in the next few days. It's really wild but this

Man, I want to play this game so badly again now that my Skyrim addiction is starting to wear off. That ultimate edition can't come sooner.

is precisely how I feel right now. Playing Skyrim has made me want to dive back into New Vegas instead. I still really enjoy Skyrim, but I think I gorged on it in too short a period of a time and, currently, am in the middle of a slew of quests I just don't care for, at all. New Vegas had so many quests that I simply had to see to their end, and I really want that right now.

Plus I really miss my homeboy Primm Slim.

Top Bottom