• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
nismogrendel said:
FO3 runs pretty smooth on high settings on my PC, New Vegas should perform about the same right? Not sure if I want to get it on 360 or PC.

I seriously hope it runs better. I know this is Obsidian and they are far from being known for their games stability and lack of bugs but the Gamebryo engine has had more than enough use on the PC that they should be able to have the game run without issue. I enjoyed FO3 a good bit but I can barely get the game to run for more than 30 minutes without it crashing for one reason or another.

Damn, I cancelled my CE preorder a few days ago because I didn't think I'd be able to afford it, turns out I can and now everywhere is sold out. Wonder if I'd still be able to get one if I showed up at GameStop tomorrow?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I plan on sticking with hardcore, but I can already see myself getting crippled out in the middle of nowhere and having to hobble all the way to the nearest doctor. I guess I'll be putting a lot of focus on the doctor skill cause that sounds like a bitch. It'll bring back bad memories of being a lvl 1 character in Morrowind, leaving Seyda Neen for the first time.

Damn. Is fast travel disabled in hardcore mode?

Fredescu said:
Honestly that shit's just about guaranteed, but I wouldn't worry about being the only user with the problem, and once you have it running the mods make it a million times better. Simple stuff like the interface mod posted upthread are worth their weight in gold.

I eventually got it running and added some mods: Awren's tweaks, Iron sight, weapon's packs, the FNNQC slavers mods and quest (best mod IMO), and darnUI...

It was worth it, but even then it still would crash everytime i played it. when I play an RPG, i play in 6 to 12 hour sessions. i've been doing that since secret of mana was released. Having Fallout 3 crash so many times doing my usual long sessions, really worked my nerves.

In the end, I'm running a Quad AMD, and an MSI overclocked 460gtx...., so any software failures are probably do to some weird incompatibility with my Frugal setup.

Snuggler said:
I'm still plan on sticking with hardcore, but I can already see myself getting crippled out in the middle of nowhere and having to hobble all the way to the nearest doctor. I guess I'll be putting a lot of focus on the doctor skill.

It's almost part of the experience, though. It's a consequence you face based on a decision, and the cool part is it isn't even scripted with a quest or NPC. It can just happen.

Fast travel is available in hardcore mode, but distance is limited based on how far you'd get without food or sleep.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
I plan on sticking with hardcore, but I can already see myself getting crippled out in the middle of nowhere and having to hobble all the way to the nearest doctor. I guess I'll be putting a lot of focus on the doctor skill cause that sounds like a bitch. It'll bring back bad memories of being a lvl 1 character in Morrowind, leaving Seyda Neen for the first time.

It's not disabled, but hardcore rules are still in effect based on distance traveled. If you would not survive the distance you are trying to move with fast travel (because for example you would die of thirst) it will not allow you to do so.

I have a feeling this is going to kill quite a few people because they'll make a fast travel to a remote location which will put them right on the edge of dehydration and they won't have the resources to make it back alive. :lol

Wallach said:
I have a feeling this is going to kill quite a few people because they'll make a fast travel to a remote location which will put them right on the edge of dehydration and they won't have the resources to make it back alive. :lol

But isn't that one of the coolest fucking things a game can do? Hardcore mode can and will punish the shit out of you for not preparing ahead of time.

Every time I leave a settlement I'm making sure to carry food and water and just enough ammunition to keep me safe.

God damn I can't wait for Tuesday.

Can you like go to sleep wherever? Hardcore mode seems like it'd be pretty awful if you had to hunt out the nearest cot that looks like it'd be dirtier and less comfortable than the ground to begin with.

Wallach

disappeared said:
But isn't that one of the coolest fucking things a game can do? Hardcore mode can and will punish the shit out of you for not preparing ahead of time. Every time I leave a settlement I'm making sure to carry food and water.

Shit sounds hilarious to me. I can already see myself desperately trying to hobble away from some random encounter with a broken leg only to die before I can make it back to town because I had no way to mend the wound.

HadesGigas said:
Can you like go to sleep wherever? Hardcore mode seems like it'd be pretty awful if you had to hunt out the nearest cot that looks like it'd be dirtier and less comfortable than the ground to begin with.

"You cannot sleep while enemies are nearby."

Calling it. :lol

Snuggler said:
Hopefully there will be plenty of traveling salesmen to murder so I can stay stocked up.

I always thought it'd be cool to play a merchant. Just take stuff with you out into the wastes and barter with people you meet. No questing or anything, just salesmanship.

Probably'd get boring pretty quick I'd presume. :lol

Arozay

disappeared said:
I always thought it'd be cool to play a merchant. Just take stuff with you out into the wastes and barter with people you meet. No questing or anything, just salesmanship.

RP as an NPC in NV. GG

Gravijah

disappeared said:

Well, when people don't buy your merchandise you could always do a little... persuading.

disappeared said:

It could be like Recettear with guns!

Dresden

Wallach said:
It is supposedly possible to kill both nobody and literally everybody and still complete the main plot.
Oh ho ho. I'll have to
reserve that no-kill game for a second or third playthrough.

Wallach

Dresden said:
Oh ho ho. I'll have to
reserve that no-kill game for a second or third playthrough.

Note I can't confirm the latter half of that statement (YET), but I know the former half is a fact.

Radogol

Wallach said:
Note I can't confirm the latter half of that statement (YET), but I know the former half is a fact.

But is it really so, like in FO1 for example, or did Obsidian cheat and there's
non-lethal ammo
? Also, can I
talk my way through most quests
(again, like in FO1) or do I have to
sneak
?

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, why do we spoiler tag this?

Wallach

Radogol said:
But is it really so, like in FO1 for example, or did Obsidian cheat and there's
non-lethal ammo
? Also, can I
talk my way through most quests
(again, like in FO1) or do I have to
sneak
?

Thanks!

I think there is non-lethal ammo (like beanbag rounds) but I've not heard yet whether it is actually necessary to do a "pacifist" run. As far as your second question I can't say for sure, but these guys are much better about that kind of thing than Bethesda was.

Radogol

Wallach said:
As far as your second question I can't say for sure, but these guys are much better about that kind of thing than Bethesda was.

I know, that's why I'm asking :p That's how I played FO1 and FO2 originally
, as if they were point & click adventure games,
and that sort of play style was fully supported by the design
(aside from random encounters, of course)

disappeared said:
But isn't that one of the coolest fucking things a game can do? Hardcore mode can and will punish the shit out of you for not preparing ahead of time.

Every time I leave a settlement I'm making sure to carry food and water and just enough ammunition to keep me safe.

God damn I can't wait for Tuesday.

Definitely very cool. This game is really reminding me of the Golden Age PC era. I think that's what they're trying to do anyways. Games really took a lot of thought back then. Even an action game like Mechwarrior 2.

I like the realism and challenge of the those old games. I'm glad a dev has the courage to sacrifice mainstream sales to appeal to the more hardcore gamers. i hope obsidian does a good job finds success with FNV. i want more games like this

Varth

projekt84 said:
Maybe he secretly hates Fallout AND desires attention.

Hated each one of the 160-plus hours I put into vanilla F3, yes. And whoa at the general attitude. I'm talking about specific bugs and glitches in the sequel of a game known for being pretty buggy, made by a dev not exactly known for polishing their games to perfection. I don't know what's the part that makes you go out and call for bullshit or "desire for attention".

butsomuch said:
Delicious. It pains me that I have TOO MUCH SHIT TO DO and will have to wait a week or two before I can play it. :(

I wonder if AGI is as useless as it was last time, I'm hoping to make a 1 AGI low STR char so I can max out CHA (if it affects followers, should be very useful for dialogue) and INT (SP and dialogue). Though low STR won't be as easy to pull off now with Hardcore mode, but more followers will help negate that. :D

Zeliard

Haha, this tweet by Vavra:

@ChrisAvellone @jesawyer Great work guys! Playing review copy of NW and seems that we finally have great F2 sequel. Thanks for that.
about 3 hours ago via web

Hype is steadily climbing.

Wallach said:
I am hoping Tag! makes a return because I'd like to pick up Explosives or Energy as a fourth somewhere down the line if I can afford it in terms of weight. Hopefully power armor goes back to giving you a carry weight bonus while equipped or I might not be able to do it reasonably.
the wiki has tag as a level 16 perk

Zeliard said:
Haha, this tweet by Vavra:

@ChrisAvellone @jesawyer Great work guys! Playing review copy of NW and seems that we finally have great F2 sequel seems that we finally have great F2 sequel. Thanks for that.
about 3 hours ago via web

Hype is steadily climbing.

ahhhhh shiiiieeeeet!

Zeliard

Best part is Avellone and Sawyer don't even defend F3, they're just like "awesome, dude, glad you enjoyed it."

Also stumbled onto this tweet by Sawyer:

temple of doom is my favorite indiana jones movie and i don't care who knows it.
11:45 AM Oct 14th via web

I've always considered him a wise man.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zeliard said:
Best part is Avellone and Sawyer don't even defend F3, they're just like "awesome, dude, glad you enjoyed it."

temple of doom is my favorite indiana jones movie and i don't care who knows it.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows Temple of Doom is the best. But yes Sawyer is a wise and skilled man and I cannot wait to get my hands on NV.

Zeliard said:

I was not aware this was up for discussion?

Animator

Dresden said:
I wonder if a non-violent playthrough is possible.

How is this possible? You have to kill mutants or creatures right? I cant imagine the game being any fun when you try to run away from everything you see.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Animator said:
How is this possible? You have to kill mutants or creatures right? I cant imagine the game being any fun when you try to run away from everything you see.
Avoid side-quests that involve killing. Other than that you stealth, disguise, flee, and talk your way through things.

Zeliard said:

... the hell?

From best to worst, it's 1, 3, 2, 4!

Zeliard

Animator said:

Pacifist runs can be very fun for the challenge and the strategy needed to get by. I wouldn't recommend them on the first playthrough (unless that's your thing), but games of this type that are good enough demand to be played more than once.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Pacifist runs can be very fun for the challenge and the strategy needed to get by. I wouldn't recommend them on the first playthrough (unless that's your thing), but games of this type that are good enough demand to be played more than once.

It's also very conducive to speed running strategy. Outside of stuffing some plastique in Ken Lee's pocket (and I guess weaponizing Super Stims against the president bahaha) the fastest way to beat FO2 didn't involve actually fighting for yourself. Some people told me I should've tried to help frag Horrigan but I don't think it would have made the run any faster personally.

Top Bottom