• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wiggum2007

WanderingWind said:
That sounds fine, though. If you sell back something in better condition, shouldn't it's value increase?

The result of the glitch is that you can keep selling it back for (in this case) 37 caps and buying it back for 25.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wiggum2007 said:
The result of the glitch is that you can keep selling it back for (in this case) 37 caps and buying it back for 25.

Well, that's not what he said. And for all the fake reviews and advanced hand wringing about the glitchfest, I think I'll wait and see for myself.

RS4-

Wiggum2007 said:

Maybe glitch was the wrong word. But yeah, you buy then flip immediately for the extra caps; the item is already repaired for you, so you're not spending anything aside from the initial investment (in this case 25 caps).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0a0AQG9eU
Just followed this vid.

I've just tried it with a different set of items and it doesn't always work. Bought an assault rifle at 901 and sometimes I can sell it back at 985 or at 400. I don't know the circumstances when it defaults to 400 caps.

Wiggum2007

WanderingWind said:
Well, that's not what he said. And for all the fake reviews and advanced hand wringing about the glitchfest, I think I'll wait and see for myself.

Well it is what he said, maybe he didn't make it clear but he did mention he was referring to a post a page or two about a money glitch/exploit in FO3. The gist of it is that if a vendor has a duplicate of an item you can buy it and it will show up in your inventory as fully repaired, the you can continuously sell it back for the fully repaired price and buy it back for the cheaper un-repaired price.

Not really that big of a deal though, seeing as its a SP game. The exploit is there for anyone who wants to take advantage of it, otherwise its easy enough to ignore if you want to play it straight.

Zeliard

People playing it: how's the dialogue relative to Fallout 3? Not just in the style of writing, but I'm also hoping for some more choice & consequence this time around.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
graywolf323 said:
that doesn't sound like a glitch, sounds more like capitalism :lol
:lol

sounds like someone who hasn't played WRPGs to me

I pre-ordered the PC CE and now i'm having second thoughts about. I think I should get the 360 version.

I just recently bought the PC GOTY version, and It was a huge hassle just to get it running. I took me hours of research, codec tweaking, and ini edits just to get the game to run 20 minutes without crashing to the desktop.

Jumping into another bethesda game without an existing body of community knowledge for techinical support really seems like a bad idea to me. If the game doesn't run, i'm not going to have any idea how to get it running.

Wiggum2007

Can you disable the slow-motion killshots that appear outside of VATS (but keep them in VATS)? They seem kinda annoying to me from what I've seen in the streams.

tokkun

Wiggum2007 said:
Can you disable the slow-motion killshots that appear outside of VATS (but keep them in VATS)? They seem kinda annoying to me from what I've seen in the streams.

You can disable them.

Fredescu

gundamzeta209 said:
I just recently bought the PC GOTY version, and It was a huge hassle just to get it running. I took me hours of research, codec tweaking, and ini edits just to get the game to run 20 minutes without crashing to the desktop.
Honestly that shit's just about guaranteed, but I wouldn't worry about being the only user with the problem, and once you have it running the mods make it a million times better. Simple stuff like the interface mod posted upthread are worth their weight in gold.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i was hoping one of the streams would have the companion Arcade Gannon in it. im curious to see how the voice over is since its the guy from Chuck.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i dont know who it was at Interplay that got access to all the great voice talent over the years.. im just glad the tradition of good voice work in Fallout games has continued. i thought Fallout 3 did a decent job with McDowell basically stealing the show but New Vegas they must have used a huge portion of the budget on voice. Some of it is freaking incredible. Even Caesars Legion, something i always thought of as a little stupid, is sold so well by a couple characters im seriously thinking about aligning with them my first run.

WRPGs and RPGs in general are not skill based challenges, nor do most of them have any legitimate way to measure skill. They are generally designed and played for the plot, characters, exploration, and atmosphere.

So all of the hand wringing over 'OMG exploit' is just silly. Of course the game is broken and grindy, just like almost every other RPG in existence.

tokkun

mjemirzian said:
WRPGs and RPGs in general are not skill based challenges, nor do most of them have any legitimate way to measure skill. They are generally designed and played for the plot, characters, exploration, and atmosphere.

So all of the hand wringing over 'OMG exploit' is just silly. Of course the game is broken and grindy, just like almost every other RPG in existence.

Uh, Fallout 3 was not "grindy" at all...

mjemirzian said:
Of course the game is broken... just like almost every other RPG in existence.

That's the way I look at it. I've run into quite a few bugs in Fallout 3, namely, but they never really dampened my enjoyment of the game. A rule of thumb I started was saving often. And never overlapping saves. If the games crashed, I'd lose at most maybe five minutes of progress.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mjemirzian said:

=/

Wallach

RS4- said:
ok whoever posted the money glitch...it still works. I think they just fixed the margin of profit, then again I should find another shop that has more dupes:
- tried it with radiation suits (since they're the only duplicates at this trader at the moment
- buy for 25 caps (damaged)
- sell for 37 (full repaired)

But the trader is also selling a full repaired one for 83; so I guess they just "fixed" the part about not being able to sell it for 83 caps?

Will do more testing.

Confused about how this is an exploit. What did you use to repair the item with?

bunbun777

Varth said:
It's gonna take a MAG-sized patch to get this to look like a finished game.

'MAG sized patch'? Cmon! This must be what straight denial feels like because I'm getting it on the ps3, and I expect none of my quests to be bugged, all manuals able to be picked up, and if there is any lock-up, I'll reload from 5 minutes ago since I save alot in FO. We shall see....

at above- apparently when you buy it appears in your inventory fully repaired already.

Dresden

I wonder what's wrong with Varth's copy that he's getting so many bugs. None of the streams I've seen has hinted at even a tenth of what's he posted about.

Wallach

Well, as we approach T-minus 24 hours remaining (ok so 25 1/6 hours whatever) I think I've decided to go Guns for my first playthrough. Definitely leaning towards Survival/Repair as my other tags; I'm still a hardcore "big guns" type and I still expect the high-powered stuff to break down faster than any other weapon types, so I'll need the repair backup. I may drop Survival in favor of something else because I plan to have fairly high Endurance (being a long range sneaker just doesn't cut it with sustained fire weaponry so I'll need the health), but I still don't know how harsh the wasteland really is in terms of dehydration or sleep deprivation.

I am hoping Tag! makes a return because I'd like to pick up Explosives or Energy as a fourth somewhere down the line if I can afford it in terms of weight. Hopefully power armor goes back to giving you a carry weight bonus while equipped or I might not be able to do it reasonably.

projekt84

Dresden said:
I wonder what's wrong with Varth's copy that he's getting so many bugs. None of the streams I've seen has hinted at even a tenth of what's he posted about.

Maybe he secretly hates Fallout AND desires attention.

tokkun

Dresden said:

Well, he is playing the PS3 version and all the streams I've seen have been the 360 version...

Fredescu

Wallach said:
Well, as we approach T-minus 24 hours remaining (ok so 25 1/6 hours whatever)
Do you mean until you get to play it? Steam is telling me 12 hours until it unlocks. Not that I will get to play for another 27 or so hours anyway.

Wallach

Fredescu said:
Do you mean until you get to play it? Steam is telling me 12 hours until it unlocks. Not that I will get to play for another 27 or so hours anyway.

As far as I know, NA is the region getting it the earliest at 12:01 AM (PST) on the 19th. I don't know any region that would be getting it on the 18th?

Fredescu

Wallach said:
As far as I know, NA is the region getting it the earliest at 12:01 AM (PST) on the 19th. I don't know any region that would be getting it on the 18th?
I'm sure it's just a mistake, but:
J64Aw.png

12 hours is the 19th here, so I guess it's possible. More likely the timer doesn't recognise my time zone and assumes I'm in the US.

Dresden

I think Luck will be my highest stat. Then it'll either be Int or Charisma following that. Or maybe I'll switch that around, have Charisma be the highest, then either Luck or Int following--but that would mean Melee won't be as effective, so perhaps I'll go Guns, but Energy Weapons are always fun, but I do love chucking spears so Melee is nice but those fist weapons look nifty, and I know I'll take Repair and Speech but what to take, oh, Good natured looks nice but it'll gimp me for combat, Survival might be necessary for Hardcore, Oh, oh, oh, does the hair on my character look good I think I messed up oh god do I need to restart wait fuck did i take one too many point in Endurance--

I'll probably take a while when making my character. :(

Gravijah

disappeared said:
I'm gonna try one more last-ditch effort to find a copy tomorrow evening.

i heard from a buddy that every store in the country will have it on their shelves on the 19th but shhh you didnt hear that from me

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I would love to theorize builds right now but I am going in truly not knowing anything about th game, and I want to keep it that way. Well, nothing besides cannibalism at least.

CAW

My timer as of 2:20AM EST (Canada).

29ff6ev.png

If it's like most games (minus Mafia 2 which actually had a midnight steam launch), including FO3, then it will be unlocked at around 1pm EST on the 19th.

Wallach

CAW said:
If it's like most games (minus Mafia 2 which actually had a midnight steam launch), including FO3, then it will be unlocked at around 1pm EST on the 19th.

Gstaff already confirmed it unlocks in NA @ 12:01 AM PST.

Fredescu said:
I'm sure it's just a mistake, but:
J64Aw.png

12 hours is the 19th here, so I guess it's possible. More likely the timer doesn't recognise my time zone and assumes I'm in the US.

$90??? Wow, it's only $50 in NZ. :/

Top Bottom