• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

(._.)

Banned
Wont be getting this till around tomorrow afternoon. Getting it on PC via Steam. People letting that whole DLC 360 thing throw their agenda off with this game is quite funny. Its going to be a great game and letting something like that turn you off from it is embarrassing. PS3 and PC will be getting it a couple months later, okay don't care.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
On DLC...

Fool me once (Oblivion): Shame on you

Fool me twice (Fallout 3): Shame on me

Fool me thrice (Fallout: New Vegas): HERPA DERP

Steve Youngblood said:
Just to get this out of the way, I'll still be playing the game tomorrow on the PC when I get home from work, so I'm not in the "I've canceled my preorder" group. However, I don't understand your point at all. Did that offer of a lot of money also come at gunpoint? If not, I think consumers still have a right to be upset. I don't think anyone believes that Obsidian or Bethesda is screwing over non-360 owners because it's how they get their jollies. Understanding why they're doing this doesn't negate their right to be upset over it. A spokesperson for Obsidian/Bethesda coming out and saying "Hey, we know you, the consumers who buy our products and keep us afloat, are upset about this, but if it makes you feel any better it helps us out financially!" doesn't exactly make for good PR.

No, it wasn't at gunpoint. But it won't have been a negligible amount of money, and it will have made a huge difference to Obsidian's budgetary concerns with the title. I'm not saying it's good PR, but it is good business sense. It won't hurt sales - the people who care enough to cancel preorders are going to be an astonishing minority - and the money might end up tipping the balance between this game breaking even and making a profit. Said profit is grotesquely important in this day and age. Who knows: this deal might have saved people's jobs. (I realise that's a tad melodramatic, but, really, so is canceling a pre-order because somebody can't play DLC that they, as yet, know nothing about.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Darkgran said:
Video has been removed.

What was it?

Someone was playing the PS3 version, they were panning the camera in the room and everything was super choppy and messed up looking. Sounds like it was just some install issue, whatever that means, so hopefully it won't be like that.

kai3345

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
On DLC...

Fool me once (Oblivion): Shame on you

Fool me twice (Fallout 3): Shame on me

Fool me thrice (Fallout: New Vegas): HERPA DERP
Except Oblivions later DLC like KOTN and SI were awesome and so was most of the Fallout 3 DLC

Darkgran said:
Video has been removed.

What was it?
It was cellphone recorded footage of the PS3 version. The youtuber was filming a ceiling fan that had a choppy spinning animation, presumably induced by single digit FPS.

Edit: Beaten

Dresden

I didn't even buy Oblivion DLC. There was no point with all the crazy mods, and the same will be true of Fallout 3.

The DLC news is like a non-issue for me.

whatevermort said:
I'm not saying it's good PR, but it is good business sense.
This is relevant to people who are invested in the financial well-being of Bethesda/Obsidian, but not to fans who just want to play games and are now seeing their platform locked out of potentially worthwhile additional content. Therefore, I don't see why the consumers don't have a right to be upset. Just because one understands the rationale behind a decision doesn't mean they have to agree with it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I mean it's pure speculation at this point, but I doubt that you'll really feel like you're missing out when this DLC arrives. Even if they try to put out Fallout 3 quality DLC, it might just be some crap shooting mission like Operation Anchorage. I get that the idea and motive behind this is more offensive then the actual act of missing out on the DLC, but I think we'll all be OK in the end. I'm on 360 so I get to play it, but I'll gladly trade some overpriced DLC mission for mods that truly expand and optimize the game.

What I don't understand is why announce this on launch day? Bethesda have been pushing pre-orders hard for NV with bonus content, so it's safe to assume that a shitload of people have already made their decision about the platform they're getting it on. The only purpose platform exclusive DLC serves is to boost sales on that platform. So what's the point?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
devon the dude said:
Any word on if a previous save (fallout 3) will have any boost/effect on your character in new vegas?

Don't think so, as far as I know there will be nothing with F3 saves.

Devin the Dude is good music btw.

jimmy said:
What I don't understand is why announce this on launch day? Bethesda have been pushing pre-orders hard for NV with bonus content, so it's safe to assume that a shitload of people have already made their decision about the platform they're getting it on. The only purpose platform exclusive DLC serves is to boost sales on that platform. So what's the point?

Yeah, that's the most baffling thing about this. I guess it might sway some people choosing between PS3 vs. 360 after launch, but the amount of people in that category has to be pretty slim. Hopefully Microsoft loses money on the deal. Seems like the only real purpose it serves is to make that content unavailable to a lot of people.

Flib said:
Nice J&L bag :lol
:lol I guess he was trying to be subtle as to where he got it but yeah... fail. I'm sure the "other" usual spot in NYC has them in stock by now as well. I'm getting the PC version for this one so no early playing/streaming on jtv for me. Dammit Steam, unlock my shit!

I have the PC version pre-loaded through Steam but the store down the street from me is selling it already for 360.... I'm so tempted to double dip just for that early start!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MrCompletely said:
I have the PC version pre-loaded through Steam but the store down the street from me is selling it already for 360.... I'm so tempted to double dip just for that early start!

Patience, young Jedi

kai3345

Banned
MrCompletely said:
you would be a fucking moron if you did that

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
whatevermort said:
I love that some people are angry with Obsidian or Bethesda about the exclusive DLC, as if they're doing it to spite them - rather than that they've just been offered a lot of money by Microsoft.
Its disrespectful to the customer. Its obviously a process that is anti-consumer, or at least unfair.

DryvBy

MrCompletely said:

:lol Please, do this. And make childrens so we can have more of you in the world.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Deadly Cyclone said:
Any time frame? Wondering if they will be up before I go to bed.

I did a little googling, and it looks like at least a few will be up tonight (midnight or later). They're probably done with the reviews and just waiting to hit the 'submit' button.

my idea of midnight is 12:00 EST (7 1/2 hours from now) but it might be pacific time so like 10 1/2 hours from now.

Iw3WJ.png

let's go

DryvBy

blame space said:

Can you take pictures of the manual? I hate those 3 page b&w manuals. It it nice and juicy.

I'm just going to admit it. I like to read those while I'm sitting on the toilet. That's called 'game learning time'.

Revolutionary said:
:lol I guess he was trying to be subtle as to where he got it but yeah... fail. I'm sure the "other" usual spot in NYC has them in stock by now as well. I'm getting the PC version for this one so no early playing/streaming on jtv for me. Dammit Steam, unlock my shit!
Not trying to be subtle at all, actually. Every self-respecting New Yorker knows where to get games early. :)

J&L has been breaking street dates since the Xbox 1 era.

MrMephistoX

BobsRevenge said:
Its disrespectful to the customer. Its obviously a process that is anti-consumer, or at least unfair.

I kinda have to wonder how effective a marketing strategy exclusive DLC really is? I mean sure maybe Joe consumer just getting into the HD console era will care, but then again, he's more likely to be ignorant of the exclusive DLC if he's this late to the party.

Exclusive DLC probably doesn't win converts it more than likely just pisses off non-multi console owners.

MrMephistoX said:
Exclusive DLC probably doesn't win converts it more than likely just pisses off non-multi console owners.
Pisses off multi console owners who'd rather have it on one platform than another and the DLC works out of their favor.

Varth

Marvie_3 said:
:lol

I love how in F3, one of the loading screens instructs you to just put away your gun if you're getting killed and maybe the enemy would forgive you. I tried to do it several times to see if it would work and the baddie just kept shooting me. :lol

It works too much, this time around. Shot an nrc officer in the head 2 times by mistake, put away my gun and he insta-forgave me ^^'

Flib

Vyse The Legend said:
Not trying to be subtle at all, actually. Every self-respecting New Yorker knows where to get games early. :)

J&L has been breaking street dates since the Xbox 1 era.

Yeah, they don't try to hide it, it just made me happy to see.

Sticking with PC for this one, so no early release for me.

Myomoto

Varth said:
It works too much, this time around. Shot an nrc officer in the head 2 times by mistake, put away my gun and he insta-forgave me ^^'

Maybe it just seemed like an honest mistake? :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MrMephistoX said:
I kinda have to wonder how effective a marketing strategy exclusive DLC really is? I mean sure maybe Joe consumer just getting into the HD console era will care, but then again, he's more likely to be ignorant of the exclusive DLC if he's this late to the party.

It has to shift the numbers, but I'm sure it does both. Most probably aren't aware either way unless a GameStop or Best Buy dude brings it up.

Salmon

WTF is up with the controls?! Just popped the game in to realise that the movement if the character is just a digital one with a little glitch between the walking and running phase. Why did they messed this up? I own Fallout 3 on PS3, and bought this latest installment for the 360. It's kinda frustrating! Anyone else find this problem with the controls? No one has mentioned it before, even in previews or early adopters of the game. Is this patchable? Does the 360 version of Fallout 3 have the same issue?

Can't seem to really enjoy the game with half broken contols :(

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Salmon said:
WTF is up with the controls?! Just popped the game in to realise that the movement if the character is just a digital one with a little glitch between the walking and running phase. Why did they messed this up? I own Fallout 3 on PS3, and bought this latest installment for the 360. It's kinda frustrating! Anyone else find this problem with the controls? No one has mentioned it before, even I previews or early adapters of the game. Is this patchable? Does the 360 version of Fallout 3 have the same issue?

Can't seem to really enjoy the game with half broken contols :(

Uh, what?

Top Bottom