• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

kai3345

Banned
Salmon said:
What what?
celeb_samwell.jpg

kai3345

Banned
Salmon said:
I even stopped playing for now. Have you even tested it out for yourself? It takes the good phase away from the game. I prefer analog contols :(
Maybe its something with your disc or something. I would think with the number of people who have gotten it early SOMEONE would have mentioned laggy controls.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Salmon said:
I even stopped playing for now. Have you even tested it out for yourself? It takes the good phase away from the game. I prefer analog contols :(

Sorry, I just didn't understand the glitch/issue you were talking about. My NV is still on its way here from Amazon so I can't test although I'm curious.

Salmon

dwebo said:
It looks like they forgot to turn on analog control for movement, unless that was in F3 too. Seeing as how I generally play FPSes on my computer, that jerkiness looked perfectly natural to me. :lol
Exactly! The thing is that the character takes a big step forward, making your sneaking abilities quite worthless if you're unlucky, and makes the whole control scheme a bit broken, when both Y and X axis looking around are smooth.

I don't have my PS3 hooked up right now. I hope someone with a 360 and Fallout 3, can test the same thing I just did in my video. If this is a 360 thingy, I have to wait for the PS3 version instead. If this is implemented in both versions, we have to get a patch(?) to fix this ASAP. This is ruining the whole experience for me :(

Holy shit GAF I didn't realize Steam was unlocking this bitch 12 AM PST. Although, for EST that sucks ass. Still, what the HELL?!

I've been so pumped all day to play this.

Salmon

PolishQ said:
To clarify, you're saying that rather than movement speed being tied directly to how hard you're pressing the thumbstick (analog), the game instead toggles between a walk state and a run state (digital), with an awkward transition. Correct?
Yep, that's sums it up. And it gets even worse, when the character seems to take a BIG step forward in this transition.

Was there a walk/run button on the console version off Fallout 3? My memory is kinda...well, I can't seem to remember.

Ricker

Salmon said:
Here is a quick clip I just uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_MDYHTYiTk

Sorry for the bad quality, but my Iphone 4 had to do the job.

Fallout 3 did that also(on the 360)...got use to it though.

Gamestop just called me and they have it,i`ll pick this up tomorrow morning...they didn`t get Arcania though,which was delayed from last week,looks like it`s in the usual European RPG limbo...who knows when it will release...for now I don`t care though,I was going to play NV first anyway.

Gaol

Neo Member
Salmon said:
Exactly! The thing is that the character takes a big step forward, making your sneaking abilities quite worthless if you're unlucky, and makes the whole control scheme a bit broken, when both Y and X axis looking around are smooth.

Don't you have to click the left stick to enter sneaking mode anyway? I'm not sure what you lose by only having walk/run - it's not a platformer.

Salmon

Gaol said:
Don't you have to click the left stick to enter sneaking mode anyway? I'm not sure what you lose by only having walk/run - it's not a platformer.
The problem is not only the walk/run toggle, but the little "frame skipping" when you're about to run. Here is another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF9GiAFDVbU

If this was toggled with a press of a button, it wouldn't harm the controls, but when you're walking around, and by accident hit the stick too far, your character will start running in an instant, even if you want it or not. Maybe it doesn't look that bad on video, but with the controller in your hand, it's VERY frustrating!

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Salmon said:
The problem is not only the walk/run toggle, but the little "frame skipping" when you're about to run. Here is another example:

If this was toggled with a press of a button, it wouldn't harm the controls, but when you're walking around, and by accident hit the stick too far, your character will start running in an instant, even if you want it or not. Maybe it doesn't look that bad on video, but with the controller in your hand, it's VERY frustrating!

Been awhile since I picked up FO3 but this looks/feels right to me based on those controls (not arguing whether or not its optimal). Did you play FO3?

ckohler

If anyone here is interested, I plan on live streaming my game after I pick it up tonight around 12:15 A.M. CST. If you are, let me know here and I'll post the link to the stream then.

Deware80

Banned
ckohler said:
If anyone here is interested, I plan on live streaming my game after I pick it up tonight around 12:15 A.M. CST. If you are, let me know here and I'll post the link to the stream then.

I'm interested.

nib95

Banned
I should get my copy tomorrow. Hope it's good. If I'm honest with myself, I got bored of F3 towards the end and Vegas just looks like more of the same. Hope they mix it up enough to keep me hooked this time around.

Hyunkel6

ckohler said:
Sounds great.

nib95 said:
I should get my copy tomorrow. Hope it's good. If I'm honest with myself, I got bored of F3 towards the end and Vegas just looks like more of the same. Hope they mix it up enough to keep me hooked this time around.

I made it through the whole main game but getting through the DLC was tough. Going to wait a bit and see what people say but I really think the writing/story will be more engaging this time so that should help.

Gaol

Neo Member
Salmon said:

Well I have FO3 installed in my laptop so I hooked up a wired 360 pad and had a quick play around - and this issue isn't present; there's a smooth acceleration as you tilt the stick. So coming from the PC version at least, this would be a new issue.

How much of an impact it'll have I don't know till I get the game, it's interesting no one else has spotted it yet. <edit> until Gacha-pin above...

i just ran into a bunch of ghouls that wouldn't move. they just sat there, staring at me pivoting whenever i would move around then.

it was freaky because when i would go up to one it would trigger all of his friends in the desert to come attack me. at first i thought it was intentional, but not long after i found them the game froze. grrr..

it's fun so far. the manual is in color (!)

Dead

well not really...yet
blame space said:
i just ran into a bunch of ghouls that wouldn't move. they just sat there, staring at me pivoting whenever i would move around then.

it was freaky because when i would go up to one it would trigger all of his friends in the desert to come attack me. at first i thought it was intentional, but not long after i found them the game froze. grrr..

it's fun so far. the manual is in color (!)
Awesome

Cheech

Salmon said:

I don't have my PS3 hooked up right now. I hope someone with a 360 and Fallout 3, can test the same thing I just did in my video. If this is a 360 thingy, I have to wait for the PS3 version instead. If this is implemented in both versions, we have to get a patch(?) to fix this ASAP. This is ruining the whole experience for me :(

I would be EXTREMELY curious to see this as well. If the 360 version is indeed borked, I'll send it back to Amazon and just buy it off Steam.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone have the PC version yet on W7 x64 and can share their experience so far bug and stability wise? I am really hoping theyve improved compatibility unlike Bethesda when releasing the GOTY edition.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
3 more hours, for me. MIDNIGHT LAUNCH. I'm trading my self image and being able to say I've never gone to a Midnight Launch for a video game just so I stay up all night and play this damn game.

tokkun

Enduin said:
Anyone have the PC version yet on W7 x64 and can share their experience so far bug and stability wise? I am really hoping theyve improved compatibility unlike Bethesda when releasing the GOTY edition.

The GOTY edition was just the original game on one disc and the expansion installers on another disc. Of course the stability was the same.

Somethings never change.

I stopped by NMA for the first time in 2-3 years to check out their F:NV aggregater that doubles as their splash page. They've got a dev diary up in which the author says - in guarded terms - the while its great to have the Obsidian/Black Isle connection, fans and critics need to remember the contributions of Bethesda and those with no association with Black Isle to the resurrection of the series.

Perusing the comments, I found not a single positive comment. WHATEVER; F**K BETHSOFT pretty much encapsulates the reaction.

Top Bottom