• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
tokkun said:
The GOTY edition was just the original game on one disc and the expansion installers on another disc. Of course the stability was the same.

And? That does not excuse them from putting in the smallest bit of effort to apply support for the newest version of Windows which many people buying the GOTY edition would be running in order to prevent people's games from crashing every 30 minutes for no reason at all.

Why repackage a game right at the release of an incredibly successful new Windows launch and not release a new patch to support it? Its just laziness and lack of support that too many developers these days provide for their games post launch.

sdornan

bonesmccoy said:
Somethings never change.

I stopped by NMA for the first time in 2-3 years to check out their F:NV aggregater that doubles as their splash page. They've got a dev diary up in which the author says - in guarded terms - the while its great to have the Obsidian/Black Isle connection, fans and critics need to remember the contributions of Bethesda and those with no association with Black Isle to the resurrection of the series.

Perusing the comments, I found not a single positive comment. WHATEVER; F**K BETHSOFT pretty much encapsulates the reaction.
Gamers are assholes, we know this.

EDIT: And on that note, I am sick of having to wait until the day of a game's release to read reviews.

Wallach

bonesmccoy said:
Somethings never change.

I stopped by NMA for the first time in 2-3 years to check out their F:NV aggregater that doubles as their splash page. They've got a dev diary up in which the author says - in guarded terms - the while its great to have the Obsidian/Black Isle connection, fans and critics need to remember the contributions of Bethesda and those with no association with Black Isle to the resurrection of the series.

Perusing the comments, I found not a single positive comment. WHATEVER; F**K BETHSOFT pretty much encapsulates the reaction.

Haha, NMA is wack. The last time I had a conversation there was when the FO2 speed run was released, and most folks were just of the opinion that I "ruined the game" for myself or something like that. I exchanged a few posts with Per Jorner about a few of the details and never returned.

Swag

Going to the midnight release for this at my Gamestop, will I be able to play once I install or do I have to wait for the Midnight Steam release?

Live on the East Coast btw

Wallach said:
Haha, NMA is wack. The last time I had a conversation there was when the FO2 speed run was released, and most folks were just of the opinion that I "ruined the game" for myself or something like that. I exchanged a few posts with Per Jorner about a few of the details and never returned.

NMA is a joke. So much wasted energy on hating.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wallach said:

I'm firmly convinced most of those guys haven't even played Fallout. I don't think I could muster the lifelong hate toward any game that some of those guys have toward anything that's not Fallout 1 or 2.

Zeliard

WanderingWind said:
I'm firmly convinced most of those guys haven't even played Fallout. I don't think I could muster the lifelong hate toward any game that some of those guys have toward anything that's not Fallout 1 or 2.

Haven't really checked out NMA in years but last I saw, they weren't even fond of Fallout 2.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Haven't really checked out NMA in years but last I saw, they weren't even fond of Fallout 2.

Haha, I'm pretty sure one of the posters actually was like "see, this is why Fallout > Fallout 2", then someone proceeded to speed run Fallout even faster (I think it's like 9 minutes and change) by abusing a really obvious game-breaking combat bug. :lol

stupei

So glad the store near me let me pick it up tonight since this is my first night getting off work before 8pm in a long time, so sad that my collector's edition guide doesn't arrive until after work tomorrow. (I want to peruse it during the lunch hour. That's totally reasonable, right?)

I'm attempting a playthrough on hardcore. I can see how it could be easy to game the system, but honestly if you're just running around playing the game, the food and stuff can wear off pretty quickly. I'm not sure it actually is possible to build yourself up to the top of those scales and not have it wear off over a set period of time.

I was on somewhat of a media blackout, so I'm honestly just poking around, trying to figure out what's what so far. And priority number one: figure out a place to sleep before I die of exhaustion. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zeliard said:
A certain group of fallout fans hate fallout 2 with a passion i think.:lol i can sorta see where they are coming from though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lafiel said:
A certain group of fallout fans hate fallout 2 with a passion i think.:lol i can sorta see where they are coming from though.

Yeah. All that fun they injected into the sequel really got in the way of getting killed by rats 5 times in the first 15 minutes. :lol

Fallout 3 never really provided many options for a non-combat character (high Int. and Cha.), so I hope NV can deliver a little more. I really want to see how long I could last based on speech/intelligence checks.

My Amazon CE order's been sitting on "Shipping soon" all day long. Unless they've developed some sort of package teleportation system, doesn't look like I'm gonna be getting that release date delivery I paid for.

Eel O'Brian said:
My Amazon CE order's been sitting on "Shipping soon" all day long. Unless they've developed some sort of package teleportation system, doesn't look like I'm gonna be getting that release date delivery I paid for.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is too and that's the way it typically ends up for me, Shipping Soon all Monday. Come Tuesday though, I've always received the package on time.

Eel O'Brian said:

I've had it go to shipped status at 10:00 pm before and still got it next day. Mine just switched over about an hour ago.

Felix Lighter said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is too and that's the way it typically ends up for me, Shipping Soon all Monday. Come Tuesday though, I've always received the package on time.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I've had it go to shipped status at 10:00 pm before and still got it next day. Mine just switched over about an hour ago.

Cool, thanks for the reassurance! I just figured that since it's the game I was most looking forward to all year, and I have a mini "staycation" planned for Wednesday (UPS won't deliver until late tomorrow anyway) that something was bound to go wrong :lol

I received my collectors edition from Amazon today. Sweet guide, very detailed and excellent character building tips. It has an extra 30 page section full fiction/back-story on the three factions and a lot of concept artwork.

Zeliard

I've also personally never had an Amazon release-day shipment that didn't arrive on that day. They're quite good about that.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

This. Just happened to me as well, maybe 45 minutes ago. I always wonder how they make it in time but as long as it gets here I won't care....

If I wanted a high speech, lockpicky, science-y type, any insights on how should I build?

I want to be able to avoid combat if necessary, talk my way out of most anything.

Should I have explosives or energy weapons as a backup? small arms?

codswallop said:
Who needs a review of something they've already experienced?

perspective? think of it as those "critical thinking" questions from grade school.

i don't need someone to tell me what to think. i'll gladly read someone's opinion of something once i've formed my own, however. that's how new thoughts are formed!

blame space said:
perspective? think of it as those "critical thinking" questions from grade school.

i don't need someone to tell me what to think. i'll gladly read someone's opinion of something once i've formed my own, however. that's how new thoughts are formed!
sometimes, you're interested in games, movies whatever without knowing for sure if you want to buy it... this is when a review comes in handy.

Guy LeDouche said:
If I wanted a high speech, lockpicky, science-y type, any insights on how should I build?

I want to be able to avoid combat if necessary, talk my way out of most anything.

explosives, definitely.

DevelopmentArrested said:
sometimes, you're interested in games, movies whatever without knowing for sure if you want to buy it... this is when a review comes in handy.

no, this is where your past enjoyment of certain games or games of a certain genre or games made by certain developers (or I GUESS games that you and a specific game critic both like) comes in handy.

for this game, though..

Wallach

Guy LeDouche said:

Well, you're going to want to focus on INT/CHA as far as speech, and your PER is going to need to be at least decent if not above average.

As far as weapon back-up, I would probably take energy as the base will derive from your PER and the STR requirements of most energy weapons should be lower on average. Carrying some explosives even with low skill will probably still be useful.

blame space said:
no, this is where your past enjoyment of certain games or games of a certain genre or games made by certain developers (or I GUESS games that you and a specific game critic both like) comes into play.

for this game, though..

Wait a minute... don't you have the game already?

Get the fuck off GAF! :lol

Speaking of Perception, did they fix/reapply it to pertain to gun proficiency?

tokkun

blame space said:
who would want to read a review of something they haven't experienced?

Why would I want to read a game review after I've already played the game?

For the insightful commentary and criticism? :lol

blame space said:

I read reviews before a purchase to gauge what the general consensus of something is. It's like asking your mates what they thought of a game -- you can still ignore their opinion but purchasing decisions are easier this way.

Discussion of something after the fact makes more sense to me than reading reviews.

sdornan

blame space said:
no, this is where your past enjoyment of certain games or genres or developers (or I GUESS your taste being in accordance with a certain game critic) comes into play.

for this game, though..

So since I thought Modern Warfare 2 was pretty good, Medal of Honor should be even more awesome?

I like MMORPGS and I like Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIV is awesome, right?

I shouldn't bother with Batman: Arkham Aslyum because who the fuck is Rocksteady Studio?

I don't think it's some form of weakness to let reviewers' opinions affect your purchasing decisions like many gaffers seem to think.

Gravijah

sdornan said:
So since I thought Modern Warfare 2 was pretty good, Medal of Honor should be even more awesome?

I like MMORPGS and I like Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIV is awesome, right?

I shouldn't bother with Batman: Arkham Aslyum because who the fuck is Rocksteady Studio?

I don't think it's some form of weakness to let reviewers' opinions affect your purchasing decisions like many gaffers seem to think.

reviewers gave paper mario 2 a 6.75

Gravijah said:
reviewers gave paper mario 2 a 6.75
Reading just one review is generally a bad idea, unless you know from past experience you happen to share the same taste as that reviewer.

But reading a number of reviews helps shape the decision and you can always ignore the opinions of the reviewers if they seem off-target or complaints they have aren't problems to you.

sdornan

codswallop said:
Reading just one review is generally a bad idea, unless you know from past experience you happen to share the same taste as that reviewer.

But reading a number of reviews helps shape the decision and you can always ignore the opinions of the reviewers if they seem off-target or complaints they have aren't problems to you.

Top Bottom