• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

t's not a surprise that Fallout: New Vegas sticks closely to Fallout 3's structure and style. But if it weren't for the game's way-too-long list of technical issues, New Vegas would actually be better than its predecessor. Instead, it's a well-written game with so many issues that some of you might want to take a pass, at least until some of this nonsense gets fixed. Yet, for all its flaws, I'd consider taking a second run through it, if only to see how some of the game's finer points play out with different choices.
ouch.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
shwimpy said:
grrrrrrrrrrrr

Brought you by the men and women who brought us KoTOR II, and Alpha Protocol...

This is a surprise to ANYONE?

2uibq52.jpg

sdornan

bucknuticus said:
GB review up 4/5

Fallout: New Vegas somehow manages to have even more technical problems than Fallout 3 did, but its great characters and setting still shine through.

Not surprised.

dwebo

You'd think they could just have less technical issues if they, I don't know, hired more QA testers?

HOW HARD CAN IT BE?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Let's talk about that engine. New Vegas runs on the same basic framework that powered Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and it brings a lot of technical weirdness up from those games. Less than an hour in, I was staring at a guard, pacing back and forth to guard his post... 20 feet off the ground. Enemies clip into the ground with an alarming frequency, often making them impossible to shoot. The game--a retail disc running on a new-model Xbox 360--crashed on me about a dozen times over the 33 hours I spent playing, often taking a significant amount of progress with it. The load times and frame rate seemed to get randomly worse as I continued to play the game, with some simple scene transitions taking 20 seconds or more. The technical hurdles you'll have to make to stay interested in New Vegas are meaner and more frustrating than any Deathclaw or Nightkin you'll face in the game. If you're the type of person who likes to watch for a patch or two before settling into a game, know this now: you probably don't want to play Fallout: New Vegas right away.

I can deal with glitches, but crashes...man, crashes are tough. :(

Wallach

dwebo said:
You'd think they could just have less technical issues if they, I don't know, hired more QA testers?

HOW HARD CAN IT BE?

You think finding bugs is the problem? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Is anyone shocked that Obsidian is allowed to make buggy game after buggy game? You think at some point during the process some Bethesda guy would come down and tell them they had to assign more of their fucking budget to QA. I love their writing and all that, but jesus. KOTOR2 JUST got done being fixed this year by fans.

Ugh...I can't stand game crashes. Fallout 3 crashed on me once in my 40 hours I've played, but a dozen times in 33 hours in New Vegas?

Doesn't sound good right now. :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Is anyone shocked that Obsidian is allowed to make buggy game after buggy game? You think at some point during the process some Bethesda guy would come down and tell them they had to assign more of their fucking budget to QA. I love their writing and all that, but jesus. KOTOR2 JUST got done being fixed this year by fans.
Not really. A lot of studios get to create games like this repeatedly. Just look at the EA Sports games, NHL in particular. :lol

sdornan

water_wendi said:
Cant wait until Gamebryo is dead.
Hey, let's not blame this on the engine. If it had the same level of bugs as Oblivion and Fallout 3, then maybe that would be fair

Marvie_3 said:
Not really. A lot of studios get to create games like this repeatedly. Just look at the EA Sports games, NHL in particular. :lol
The NHL series is actually highly regarded. Lots of minors bugs that pop up over days of play are not the same as outright crashes.

Dresden

Come the fuck on, Obsidian. It's like seeing your drunk uncle get hit up for a DUI again, and again, and again. No surprise at all.

mjc said:
Doesn't this game autosave like 3 did?

Yeah, everytime in and out of a building/exterior what have you. But some of the indoor spots are huge and I don't think it ever autosaves just wanderin around the wasteland.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does he not know how to save? I sleep like every 10 minutes and I have Fallout 3 set to auto-save on sleep. How is he losing so much progress.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
Hey, let's not blame this on the engine. If it had the same level of bugs as Oblivion and Fallout 3, then maybe that would be okay.
i am going to blame this on the engine since they are Gamebryo bugs. From Morrowind to Oblivion to Fallout 3.. it seems the more "busy" the world gets in terms of items and creatures the buggier it gets.

Traced-Velocity said:
Probably lucky. If you are playing a Gamebryo 360 game clear your cache every session otherwise you are just asking for trouble.

SpudBud said:
Come on the fuck on Obsidian.

You have to wonder how big their QA department is.

It's quite possible they're just sloppy programmers. Reminds me of a little birdy telling me about the QA on Silent Hill homecoming. They had a normal sized QA team for it, but they had to work overtime because the programmers couldn't code for shit and often wouldn't fix bugs properly, or at all, repeatedly.

Marvie_3

Banned
sdornan said:
The NHL series is actually well-regarded. Lots of minors bugs that pop up over days of play are not the same as outright crashes.
NHL crashes and freezes all the time. Hell, even the menus lock up and freeze at a disturbing rate.

sdornan

water_wendi said:
i am going to blame this on the engine since they are Gamebryo bugs. From Morrowind to Oblivion to Fallout 3.. it seems the more "busy" the world gets in terms of items and creatures the buggier it gets.
I don't think that's a fair conclusion given Obsidian's track record...

Wallach

SpudBud said:
Come on the fuck on Obsidian.

You have to wonder how big their QA department is.

Again, I don't see how people draw this back to QA. Do you seriously think the process of finding the bugs is the issue when a buggy product is launched...? I sometimes wonder what gamers think video game QA actually involves.

Pooya

Gameinformer
http://gameinformer.com/games/fallo...r-never-changes-and-neither-does-fallout.aspx

GI Rating 8.50

* Concept:A sequel that makes few strides forward, yet retains almost everything that was great from its predecessor and offers it in a slightly different way
* Graphics:It's easy to lose yourself in New Vegas' massive world, but the believability of the world is stripped away whenever a stiffly acted character appears onscreen
* Sound:The voice cast, weapon sound effects, ambient noise (which can sometimes sound like it's coming from a mile away), and Vegas themed score are all top notch. The sound design really couldn't be much better
* Playability:If you played Fallout 3, you've also played Fallout: New Vegas. Targeting is still unreliable, but thankfully V.A.T.S. is better than ever
* Entertainment:The missions and storytelling lack the creativity and large set piece moments of Fallout 3. Exploration and applying your touch to the experience are even deeper
* Replay:High

Blackace

ShockingAlberto said:
M. Night Shamylan quality plot twist: This generation, launch-day buyers are the testers.

somethings don't work as well in gaming as they do in OT...

~Kinggi~

Banned
Snapshot King said:
It's quite possible they're just sloppy programmers. Reminds me of a little birdy telling me about the QA on Silent Hill homecoming. They had a normal sized QA team for it, but they had to work overtime because the programmers couldn't code for shit and often wouldn't fix bugs properly, or at all, repeatedly.
This is very true based on the experience ive had with certain programmers. Fuck, i knew a guy who graduated from MIT who did code in some of the most inept ways. I could have probably written the code better and i dont even do it professionally.

Gravijah

Wallach said:
Again, I don't see how people draw this back to QA. Do you seriously think the process of finding the bugs is the issue when a buggy product is launched...? I sometimes wonder what gamers think video game QA actually involves.

you were/are a qa person, weren't/aren't you

Mrbob

It wouldn't be an Obsidian game without a bunch of bugs and crashing. :lol

I'll deal with the pain though as the meat of the game sounds good and most of the technical issues should be patched in the near future. Hooray ship and patch technology!

Blackace

Wallach said:

The entire QA process is to blame...

finding the bugs and fixing the bugs..

While you are right QA does't fix the bugs, but that matters naught to the consumer..

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
I don't think that's a fair conclusion given Obsidian's track record...
Well when people describe bugs and they are Gamebryo bugs i will blame Gamebryo engine. The same problems have been cropping up since Morrowind. The Gamebryo engine is complete shit for a huge open world RPGs. If people start talking about cuts made to the ending or to characters then i will blame Obsidian.

Top Bottom