• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wag

duckroll said:
It doesn't matter though. It's Steamworks. I don't think it'll unlock even if I have the physical copy?
Correct. It won't unlock until it's out in your region.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
duckroll said:
It doesn't matter though. It's Steamworks. I don't think it'll unlock even if I have the physical copy?
ahhh I see...

well you will get the game before me.. I am looking at next week after shipping :(

Pooya

joystiq:

3.5/5 stars

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/fallout-new-vegas-review/

No, I can only point to one real, genuine, unequivocal misstep Obsidian has made here (OK, two if you count the soundtrack): It's a technical embarrassment. Three times the game locked up on me completely, forcing me to restart the 360. Entering the outside world is more often than not accompanied by 20 seconds or so of the framerate slowing to an absolute slide show. Load times regularly hover between 25 and 50 seconds, in spite of a full hard drive installation. That's not so bad when you happen upon the occasional building in the Mojave Wasteland, but quest lines that take you in and out of several buildings in a row are utterly demoralizing.

Obsidian hasn't even fixed the kludginess inherent to Fallout 3. The camera still gets stuck in the wrong location for dialog sequences and A.I. pathing is still comically unnatural. If I were looking at Fallout: New Vegas as a product, I'd say it's shocking that it's being released to the public in this state.

But as an experience ... well, tech problems are enough to take you out of it occasionally, but not to write the whole thing off. Heck, I bet technical failures are all but an oddly endearing series hallmark for some of you; I know I'd be lying if I said I didn't get an odd kick out of the lousy pathing. Sorry, other glitches: You're still obnoxious.

Paradoxically, New Vegas doesn't make good on much new on any front, and it takes a hit both as experience and product for it. As fond as I am of the idea of an alternate reality Fallout 3, we shouldn't forget that game was released in late 2008, and Obsidian's contribution to the franchise looks and feels every day of two years old, maybe more. But it's still a giant, cool, twisted, funny world to explore, chock full of a staggering number of adventures. Is that really the sort of experience you can afford to pass up, no matter what year it is?

Dresden

disappeared said:
If this sells well (and by the looks of it, it will), I have a strange suspicion that Bethesda will let Obsidian keep on with the next Fallout (complete with a new next-gen engine) while they tinker away at Elder Scrolls V (also with the new engine).
So they'll be the Treyarch to Beth's Infinity Ward.

To be honest, that doesn't sound bad right now.

Lard

Banned
Snapshot King said:
To my knowledge they have never finished patching any product they have ever released, fan patches always had to pick up the slack.

They never start either with some products.

PS3 GOTY version

Sotha Sil

Shinjitsu said:
Good for you, I had plenty of lockups on the 360 version and PC versions of Fallout 3. Rivet City in particular gave me some savegame breaking bugs (was able to fix them with the console on PC)

Bugs don't mean is a bad game. I still loved fallout 3 even with all it's issues.

Wow, that sucks. But I agree; bugs are forgivable when the game's really great. Crashes... not so much. I played F3 on the PS3 for a while; buggiest console game I have ever seen. Crashed every two hours. Things like that pretty much kill the will to play, in my book.

Gravijah

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So can we get a proper count here on GAF for all those folks going strictly Cannibal this time around?

Fuck I can't wait!

I'm saving my cannibal run until years from now when I get a nice rig... Gonna make a person who eats children. Stalking and plotting out how I'm gonna kill 'em. Should be fun.

Lard said:
They never start either with some products.

PS3 GOTY version

I thought we were talking about Obsidian? I know I was. Were you talking about Bethesda? =\

Also of note, Bethesda "fixed" a problem with the PC version of Fallout 3 that ended up causing an annoying hangup of Vats that I was unable to ever resolve.

Wallach

Shinjitsu said:
Hardcore mode, Melee Cannibal.

Nice. Name him Mike.

Snapshot King said:
I thought we were talking about Obsidian? I know I was. Were you talking about Bethesda? =\

Also of note, Bethesda "fixed" a problem with the PC version of Fallout 3 that ended up causing an annoying hangup of Vats that I was unable to ever resolve.

Honestly that VATS bug is the biggest one I want fixed. God I hope that still doesn't happen in the PC version.

graywolf323

Wag said:
Correct. It won't unlock until it's out in your region.

probably one of the few downsides to Steamworks IMO

looks like I'm still getting the game solely because Steam Support never got around to my ticket and the game unlocks in just over 2 hours :lol

DancingJesus said:
Yikes...

"If I were looking at Fallout: New Vegas as a product, I'd say it's shocking that it's being released to the public in this state."
I'm really not that shocked...it is a Obsi-- ah never mind.

It's depressing just to say it. :(

I hope Square-Enix takes hold of Obsidian with a iron fist to fix the bugs for Dungeon Siege III. Even if it is delayed, I'd rather have a delayed game than a buggy one.

Marvie_3

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So can we get a proper count here on GAF for all those folks going strictly Cannibal this time around?

Fuck I can't wait!
I won't the first time, but on a later playthrough I will. :D

Snapshot King said:

Holy shit, you had that too? I never read about it anywhere on the net and thought I was the only one. Yeah that hiccup in VATS always sucked.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Snapshot King said:
Clearly, but I mean, without fan patches, there remain CRIPPLING bugs in almost all of their releases. For fucks sake, KOTOR2 with official patches, you can still completely break the game by picking a certain dialogue option early in the game, and then it autosaves over it.
Lots of games have bugs like these. The difference is that Obsidian is always taken to task for them whereas when something like this happens in KotOR 1 or Jade Empire: SE or Dragon Age or Oblivion or Fallout 3 its generally overlooked and downplayed.. especially in reviews (read through reviews of FO3 and spot how many times bugs are mentioned. Almost never.. A, 5/5, 10/10!).

pilonv1

duckroll said:
Singapore. ARGH. That explains why shops don't seem to be carrying it today. FUCK.

*pushes over a magazine rack*

:(

It's annoying as fuck for those in countries where they change the clock 24 hours before the game releases.

Monday - 15 hours till release
Tuesday - 2 days and 22 hours until release

Wallach said:
Nice. Name him Mike.

Honestly that VATS bug is the biggest one I want fixed. God I hope that still doesn't happen in the PC version.

If it does I'll probably not even play until a fast vats mod is created, even though I don't like the effect fast vats has on intended game balance.

water_wendi said:
If getting stuck in terrain wasnt fixed in Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas (or any of these games DLCs, expansions or patches) im thinking that its a limitation of the engine.
Oh, I was just using a general example. Not like I work for Obsidian or Bethesda. But in general, I'd say developers are quick to brush aside bugs which they don't think are major. Which can usually be fine, as they aren't superheroes, but you need to be sure that all those minor bugs don't start piling up

DancingJesus said:
Yikes...

"If I were looking at Fallout: New Vegas as a product, I'd say it's shocking that it's being released to the public in this state."

Dang...I'm going to wait on this one then, I was super excited because I absolutely LOVED FO3, but if there is one thing I can't stand in games it's technical issues.

What a sham
e

Lard

Banned
Snapshot King said:

Oops I thought we were talking about Bethesda.

By the sounds of it though, Bethesda and Obsidian are interchangable in terms of their QA at this point.

I am completely not surprised at the prominent mention of bugs for this release in the reviews.

water_wendi said:
Lots of games have bugs like these. The difference is that Obsidian is always taken to task for them whereas when something like this happens in KotOR 1 or Jade Empire: SE or Dragon Age or Oblivion or Fallout 3 its generally overlooked and downplayed.. especially in reviews (read through reviews of FO3 and spot how many times bugs are mentioned. Almost never.. A, 5/5, 10/10!).

Comparing those sets is kind of unfair. Anecdotal as it is, I've played all of those games and have yet to ever run into the kind of fucked up game destroying bugs as I have in almost every Obsidian game I have ever played.

Wallach

Saren is Bad said:
Dang...I'm going to wait on this one then, I was super excited because I absolutely LOVED FO3, but if there is one thing I can't stand in games it's technical issues.

What a sham
e

lol did we play the same version of FO3

GeoramA

DancingJesus said:
Yikes...

Okay, now I'm really glad I didn't preorder it.

Wonder how long until the first patch...

FinKL

In a Justin.tv stream for FONV, supposedly they are banning people streaming it as orders from the publisher wtf? Don't want to show everyone how buggy the game is :lol

Also, I had FO3 on PC release day and couldn't get it to work for like a month :'(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SirPenguin said:
Oh, I was just using a general example. Not like I work for Obsidian or Bethesda. But in general, I'd say developers are quick to brush aside bugs which they don't think are major. Which can usually be fine, as they aren't superheroes, but you need to be sure that all those minor bugs don't start piling up
Well ive never worked with the Gamebryo engine or read any material on it but just from observing the number of incidents which bugs are reported it seems to me that as the games get more complex with more numerous items, enemies and npcs Gamebryo falls apart. From Morrowind on the same bugs have been popping up with more frequency. If i were to be playing the 360 version i would be clearing my cache every session (probably taking breaks every 5 hours or so to do it during marathon sessions, too).

Wallach said:
lol did we play the same version of FO3

Maybe my memory is being nice to the game but I don't remember any freezing or game-breaking issues in FO3. Pathing issues? Camera issues? Sure, but those are at least comical. The game freezing up, slowing to a slideshow, or ruining a quest because of a bug? No thanks.

Technical problems...... typical Obsidian.

They get given a game engine already made ffs and yet they still can't produce a game without heaps of bugs.

Pooya

Long loading time is one thing I can't tolerate in my RPGs, I hope PC version is fine, Fallout 3 is quite fast on PC.

Lard

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Comparing those sets is kind of unfair. Anecdotal as it is, I've played all of those games and have yet to ever run into the kind of fucked up game destroying bugs as I have in almost every Obsidian game I have ever played.

I got 9 hours into GOTY Fallout 3 on PS3 and then the game simply refused to work.

Yet not one review I read mentioned anything about bugs.

Top Bottom