• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

miladesn said:
Gameinformer
http://gameinformer.com/games/fallo...r-never-changes-and-neither-does-fallout.aspx

GI Rating 8.50

* Concept:A sequel that makes few strides forward, yet retains almost everything that was great from its predecessor and offers it in a slightly different way
* Graphics:It's easy to lose yourself in New Vegas' massive world, but the believability of the world is stripped away whenever a stiffly acted character appears onscreen
* Sound:The voice cast, weapon sound effects, ambient noise (which can sometimes sound like it's coming from a mile away), and Vegas themed score are all top notch. The sound design really couldn't be much better
* Playability:If you played Fallout 3, you've also played Fallout: New Vegas. Targeting is still unreliable, but thankfully V.A.T.S. is better than ever
* Entertainment:The missions and storytelling lack the creativity and large set piece moments of Fallout 3. Exploration and applying your touch to the experience are even deeper
* Replay:High
Kind of what I was expecting.

sdornan

~Kinggi~ said:
This is very true based on the experience ive had with certain programmers. Fuck, i knew a guy who graduate from MIT who did code in some of the most inept ways. I could have probably written the code better and i dont even do it professionally.
As a grader for a split-level computer science course, I am frequently baffled by how otherwise-capable and intelligent people can approach a programming assignment in the most inefficient, nonsensical ways. Usually using Java.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DaBuddaDa said:
So this is basically a new total conversion of Fallout 3. There is nothing wrong with that in my book!
Its just like Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2 or GTA3 -> Vice City or any of the other games that have sequels using the same engine.

~Kinggi~ said:
I think im gonna wait for the ultimate edition with the patches and DLC.

Too many games to play right now.

The ultimate edition will be in 7-8 years when the fan patch and restored content mods are finished.

So bugs can be fun but crashes on the other hand... anyway it WAS expected. It IS due to shoddy programming and I am STILL going to enjoy the hell out of this game.:D

Wallach

Blackace said:
The entire QA process is to blame...

finding the bugs and fixing the bugs..

While you are right QA does't fix the bugs, but that matters naught to the consumer..

It's obvious their QA process is broken somewhere, but given the source material I honestly doubt it has a lot to do with actually finding the vast majority of the bugs. It rarely does.

water_wendi said:
If people start talking about cuts made to the ending or to characters then i will blame Obsidian.
Don't worry, that's what DLC is for. ;)

As for the bugs, is Obsidian thinking, "Let's release it now and patch it later?"

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Don't worry, that's what DLC is for. ;)

As for the bugs, is Obsidian thinking, "Let's release it now and patch it later?"

To my knowledge they have never finished patching any product they have ever released, fan patches always had to pick up the slack.

Bethesda has been using Gamebyro forever and their games are still buggy as fuck. It's no surprise that Obsidian using the engine for the first time has the same (or worse) results.

But if the writing is of fairly high quality, I'll take it. I wasn't expecting anything else.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wallach said:
It's obvious their QA process is broken somewhere, but given the source material I honestly doubt it has a lot to do with actually finding the vast majority of the bugs. It rarely does.

sure.. but when people say "fuck their QA" or whatever they mean the entire process not just the flaggers..

Wallach

duckroll said:
I'm looking at Steam and it says:

Available: 22 October 2010
This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 20 hours

What?

Where do you live? I think it launches outside of NA on the 22nd.

Sotha Sil

water_wendi said:
i am going to blame this on the engine since they are Gamebryo bugs. From Morrowind to Oblivion to Fallout 3.. it seems the more "busy" the world gets in terms of items and creatures the buggier it gets.

Probably lucky. If you are playing a Gamebryo 360 game clear your cache every session otherwise you are just asking for trouble.

Never experienced bugs on my 360 Fallout 3 (multiple) playthroughs. Or if I did, they were so minor I can't even remember them. I love Obsidian, but this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Wag

So no reviewers play the PC version anymore? So, so sad. :(

I had plenty of crashes to the desktop with Fallout3 on my 8800GT SLI.

Basileus777 said:
Bethesda has been using Gamebyro forever and their games are still buggy as fuck. It's no surprise that Obsidian using the engine for the first time has the same (or worse) results.

But if the writing is of fairly high quality, I'll take it. I wasn't expecting anything else.

If this sells well (and by the looks of it, it will), I have a strange suspicion that Bethesda will let Obsidian keep on with the next Fallout (complete with a new next-gen engine) while they tinker away at Elder Scrolls V (also with the new engine).

sdornan

Wallach said:
I bet it's probably due to poor project scheduling. A shitload of bugs is the result of not leaving enough time for playtesting and polishing. Given how ambitious Obsidian attempts to be with their stories, I can easily imagine the team trying to implement "one more questline" or "one more location" up to the very last minute.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone know how these "pre order" bonuses work? Do you have to enter a code to get the items? I'm about to grab the Steam version, but I don't really want to cheat and get all those items right out the door. I might want to use them on a later playthough, though

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Snapshot King said:
To my knowledge they have never finished patching any product they have ever released, fan patches always had to pick up the slack.
Almost every game that is not constantly online has this problem (some online ones like UT99 have fan patches). Developer support is finite.

DaBuddaDa

disappeared said:
If this sells well (and by the looks of it, it will), I have a strange suspicion that Bethesda will let Obsidian keep on with the next Fallout (complete with a new next-gen engine) while they tinker away at Elder Scrolls V.
I think Obsidian has their hands full between Dungeon Siege III and Wheel of Time.

Wallach

FlyinJ said:
Anyone know how these "pre order" bonuses work? Do you have to enter a code to get the items? I'm about to grab the Steam version, but I don't really want to cheat and get all those items right out the door. I might want to use them on a later playthough, though

I'm pretty sure you get them right off the bat. Just destroy them for your first playthrough in-game if you don't think you'll want to use 'em.

Blackace

sdornan said:
I bet it's probably due to poor project scheduling. A shitload of bugs is the result of not leaving enough time for playtesting and polishing. Given how ambitious Obsidian attempts to be with their stories, I can easily imagine the team trying to implement "one more questline" or "one more location" up to the very last minute.

Companies like this get screwed a lot because they get a lot of pressure to put games out on time...

Sotha Sil said:
Never experienced bugs on my 360 Fallout 3 (multiple) playthroughs. Or if I did, they were so minor I can't even remember them. I love Obsidian, but this is getting beyond ridiculous.
Same here. Like I mentioned above, Fallout 3 was buggy but it only crashed on me once. Giant Bomb is saying New Vegas crashed a dozen times.

I can't handle that. Everytime my system crashes I feel like it's going to break. Even Oblivion only crashed once on me!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
How do you polish out bugs that have been in the engine since its introduction?

Blackace

duckroll said:
Singapore. ARGH. That explains why shops don't seem to be carrying it today. FUCK.

*pushes over a magazine rack*

:(

Play-asia is shipping today.

Fredescu

Snapshot King said:
Patching needs funding. NWN2 was pretty well patched.

Marvie_3

Banned
disappeared said:
Do it man. If I didn't have work at 7am tomorrow I'd be playing it all night.
I have to get up at 6am, do homework then work all afternoon, then have class in the evening. I plan on pulling an all-nighter tomorrow night to play F:NV though. :lol

Hey now, don't go blaming the QA department for this. Here's a typical bug report and conversation with the devs:

Testers: "Hey, this thing is a bug and is pretty major, as I am literally stuck in the terrain. Here are steps to reproduce plus a nice video"

Developer: "I believe this is working as intended"

Testers: "No...no, I don't think so. I am stuck in the environment, you see, as the video shows"

Developer: "Ok, well we have not implemented the physics system fully yet. Please 'No Bug' this and re-report it later down the road!"

And then later down the road never comes

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SirPenguin said:
Hey now, don't go blaming the QA department for this. Here's a typical bug report and conversation with the devs:

Testers: "Hey, this thing is a bug and is pretty major, as I am literally stuck in the terrain. Here are steps to reproduce plus a nice video"

Testers: "No...no, I don't think so. I am stuck in the environment, you see, as the video shows"

Developer: "Ok, well we have not implemented the physics system fully yet. Please 'No Bug' this and re-report it later down the road!"

If getting stuck in terrain wasnt fixed in Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas (or any of these games DLCs, expansions or patches) im thinking that its a limitation of the engine.

sdornan

SirPenguin said:

That sounds about right.

water_wendi said:
If getting stuck in terrain wasnt fixed in Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas (or any of these games DLCs, expansions or patches) im thinking that its a limitation of the engine.
Since I don't remember hearing anyone experiencing over a dozen crashes in neither a playthrough of Oblivion nor Fallout 3, I'm thinking it's not the engine.

water_wendi said:
Almost every game that is not constantly online has this problem (some online ones like UT99 have fan patches). Developer support is finite.

Clearly, but I mean, without fan patches, there remain CRIPPLING bugs in almost all of their releases. For fucks sake, KOTOR2 with official patches, you can still completely break the game by picking a certain dialogue option early in the game, and then it autosaves over it.

Dalauz

GI said:
Entertainment:The missions and storytelling lack the creativity and large set piece moments of Fallout 3. Exploration and applying your touch to the experience are even deeper

Really Obsidian?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Sotha Sil said:

Good for you, I had plenty of lockups on the 360 version and PC versions of Fallout 3. Rivet City in particular gave me some savegame breaking bugs (was able to fix them with the console on PC)

Bugs don't mean is a bad game. I still loved fallout 3 even with all it's issues.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sdornan said:
You do realize that using a game engine doesn't preclude the necessity of programming.
Some engines are buggy and have certain problems. Since Gamebryo isnt their engine there is only so much they can do besides write their own engine from scratch or dump Gamebryo.

Top Bottom