• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

X26

Banned
Installing now

and for any cancuks who are planning to buy it but haven't yet, remember that hmv is selling it for $50 (today only I think), pretty good deal compared to gamestop ($65!?)

I love the CE box. I mean, it's no lunchbox, but it's still pretty nice.

and I don't get people not liking the metro tunnels in F3. They were fun to go through for me, and after you did it once you could just fast travel so it's not like you had to keep going back and forth through the same tunnel.

Dresden

Ugh, UPS dude doesn't usually get here until 5PM. I'm so screwed.

Explosives-Speech-??? with Four Eyes and Good Natured, I guess. For those who've been playing, how easy is it to come by dynamites and grenade launchers?

Marvie_3

Banned
JodyAnthony said:

and I don't get people not liking the metro tunnels in F3. They were fun to go through for me, and after you did it once you could just fast travel so it's not like you had to keep going back and forth through the same tunnel.
Same here. The metro tunnels were fun to explore.

Just picked up my CE. Now I need to make it through the rest of work and class today. :lol

Jb

JodyAnthony said:

It made travelling through DC somewhat confusing for me on my first playthrough. The only reason I can see for their existence was because Bethesta was too lazy to create an entire cohesive city.
Also, they all looked (were?) the same. Not super fun.

Varna

Artifact like flickering I am experiencing. Card is running at 45c... very cool.

ScreenShot0.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jay-B said:
It made travelling through DC somewhat confusing for me on my first playthrough. The only reason I can see for their existence was because Bethesta was too lazy to create an entire cohesive city.

i think they were EXTREMELY confusing.

NoRéN

Marvie_3 said:
Same here. The metro tunnels were fun to explore.

Just picked up my CE. Now I need to make it through the rest of work and class today. :lol
Had fun with the tunnels as well. So much to explore. The CE is damn nice.
Though, not too sure if I'll ever do another gamestop midnight launch. Bunch of snobby gamers and a manager who couldn't take his eyes off my girlfriend's ass.

X26 said:
Installing now

and for any cancuks who are planning to buy it but haven't yet, remember that hmv is selling it for $50 (today only I think), pretty good deal compared to gamestop ($65!?)

Yeah, grabbed it from HMV and moved my Gamestop order over to Fable III.

Marvie_3

Banned
NoRéN said:
Had fun with the tunnels as well. So much to explore. The CE is damn nice.
Though, not too sure if I'll ever do another gamestop midnight launch. Bunch of snobby gamers and a manager who couldn't take his eyes off my girlfriend's ass.
Sorry about that. Your girlfriend is hot. Couldn't help it.

Animator

Varna said:
Artifact like flickering I am experiencing. Card is running at 45c... very cool.

ScreenShot0.jpg

I have that too.

Obsidian are such incompetent devs. This save bug made me lose like 2 hours of gameplay. Game runs like ass on %90 of nvidia cards. Did they even playtest their own fucking game? Cause I am not sure how you can miss those if you played it for an hour on pc.

MrMephistoX

Steve Youngblood said:
It's Steamworks, so it works exactly like Civ V.

Lovely that was my only hang up since I wanted to use my free money and don't feel like being a console beta tester again ;) If it runs CIV V without slowdown on high I think my PC can handle it.

Varna

Animator said:
I have that too.

Obsidian are such incompetent devs. This save bug made me lose like 2 hours of gameplay. Game runs like ass on %90 of nvidia cards. Did they even playtest their own fucking game? Cause I am not sure how you can miss those if you played it for an hour on pc.

The save bug is definitely related to the steam cloud... manual saves are the only way to get around it.

What kind of performance are most people experiencing? At 1680x1050 I'm getting mostly (max settings, 4aa/16af) 60FPS with the occasion drop to 45 or so. It's pretty random though.

Amazon says my copy is on its way for delivery. Too bad I have to spend the evening at a family dinner and won't get home until late. Also, too bad I have work and Grad school the rest of the week.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Animator said:
I have that too.

Welcome to PC gaming bro!

Already ran into some character 5 hours in that are far more interesting than anyone I met in FO3. Cass and Ghost in particular. Also, the voicework is so so great - I honestly haven't heard a single repeated voice yet.

The game can ramp up in difficulty pretty quick.. Those
Nightkin
are an absolute bitch.

Spookie

Shit my self then. Lost both my companions for a short while. I put 5k's worth of loot on one of em. Luckily just waiting in one spot for 48 hours got them back to me.

Jesus I swear Obsidian is trying to put me in an early grave. :lol

Spookie

DevelopmentArrested said:
Those
Nightkin
are an absolute bitch.

Mild spoiler for that mission.
Run for the NPC which won't attack you and speak to him. He'll call off his minions till you find an item he wants.

I'm doubting many people have completed it already but does anyone know if the ending will be like Fallout 3's original where you cannot do side-quests after finishing the main campaign.

If this is the case can people tell what they done with Fallout 3 because I only played it with the DLC and didn't experience that problem.

Carm

Varna said:

When I was playing on ultra settings last night, I was getting that as well, along with blue ones popping up occasionally, wasn't sure if it was a bug or intentional lol.

Has anyone gotten D3DOverrider to work with the game? Nothing I do works, have to use the in game vsync option and no idea if that is triple buffer or not.

ashbash159 said:
I'm doubting many people have completed it already but does anyone know if the ending will be like Fallout 3's original where you cannot do side-quests after finishing the main campaign.

If this is the case can people tell what they done with Fallout 3 because I only played it with the DLC and didn't experience that problem.

It was mentioned in a dev video that when the game ends it ENDS.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ashbash159 said:

During interviews the devs said the game tells you clearly when you are at the point of no return. Once you get that message you have all the time you want to finish up side-quests or explore before returning to end the game.

Cday

Banned
UPS guy just came and the leaflet with the Pre Order Bonus is just too good. Raiding Armor, a Broad Machete, Five Bleak Venom Doses and 10 Throwing Spears. The game will pretty much play itself now that I have this badass equipment...

Hyunkel6

ashbash159 said:

Yeah, the game has an definite ending, but they also said that the point of no-return will be very obvious.

For Fallout 3, they simply patch the game so that you respawn in the wasteland with all your levels, equips after the credits.

zlatko

Banned
So which is the crappiest version to avoid of the big 3? I'm still between 360 and PC myself, but if somehow the PS3 version were the best I'd snag it up without hesitation .

NoRéN

water_wendi said:
During interviews the devs said the game tells you clearly when you are at the point of no return. Once you get that message you have all the time you want to finish up side-quests or explore before returning to end the game.
Ooh! Very exciting!

Though, I'm sure I'll need more than a couple of playthroughs to do all the side quests.

Marvie_3

Banned
To anyone that had it preordered at Gamestop:

Was the preorder bonus supposed to be printed on the receipt or was there a flyer like always?

I thought using someone else's engine would keep bugs away from this Obsidian game. Oh well guess I was wrong. Hope it gets patched soon.

epmode

Shinjitsu said:
Welcome to PC gaming bro!
I don't know what games you've been playing but I haven't had to deal with that crap in ages. (unless you count getting 10-15 year old games running on modern hardware)

Obsidian is just special that way, I guess!

My biggest gripe with Fallout 3 is that it punished players who put heavily put skill points into big guns and weapon skills as opposed to science, charisma, repair, etc. Is this any better in Fallout NV?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
reddwarf42 said:
I thought using someone else's engine would keep bugs away from this Obsidian game. Oh well guess I was wrong. Hope it gets patched soon.
You mean the engine thats been consistently buggy for almost 10 years?

stupei

Dresden said:
Ugh, UPS dude doesn't usually get here until 5PM. I'm so screwed.

Explosives-Speech-??? with Four Eyes and Good Natured, I guess. For those who've been playing, how easy is it to come by dynamites and grenade launchers?

If you pick explosives as one of your three starters, the game starts you out with some dynamite and the gangs in the local area are very prone to using it too, so you'll be able to loot plenty off their bodies.

So far I'm actually explosives-speech-lockpicking, with Four Eyes and Good Natured and having a blast. :D

palpabl_purpura said:
My biggest gripe with Fallout 3 is that it punished players who put heavily put skill points into big guns and weapon skills as opposed to science, charisma, repair, etc. Is this any better in Fallout NV?

Punished in what way? I mean, aside from repair, I'd say those characteristics were largely under-valued in FO3.

Varna

Carm said:
Has anyone gotten D3DOverrider to work with the game? Nothing I do works, have to use the in game vsync option and no idea if that is triple buffer or not.
You can force both in the nvidia control panel. I'm sure there is an amd equivalent. Not sure if it's actually doing anything though.

Dresden

stupei said:
If you pick explosives as one of your three starters, the game starts you out with some dynamite and the gangs in the local area are very prone to using it too, so you'll be able to loot plenty off their bodies.

So far I'm actually explosives-speech-lockpicking, with Four Eyes and Good Natured and having a blast. :D
Looks like I've found my third skill. :D Cheers.

DoctorWho said:
Still debating whether or not to go Hardcore. Is there no Fast tracking on Hardcore?

I think I read the exact opposite in here actually.... That there IS fast-tracking and there is no penalty for it.

edit: nvm, I'm wrong.

stupei

DoctorWho said:
Still debating whether or not to go Hardcore. Is there no Fast tracking on Hardcore?

Do you mean fast travel? You can use it on hardcore, just not if you want to travel somewhere so far that you would max out sleep, h20 or food in the process and die.

I recommend throwing it on and seeing if you like it. You can always switch it off at any time and the game is nice enough to (super mild spoiler about starting area)
start you very close to a clean water source that you can use any time at the beginning.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
stupei said:
Punished in what way? I mean, aside from repair, I'd say those characteristics were largely under-valued in FO3.
Yea.. a lot of skills were pretty useless. Science was only helpful in getting double xp (unlock safe/door with lockpicking first then hack the computer). Barter had like a handful of options. Medicine was fairly useless. Actually, most of the skill "checks" in FO3 were fairly useless. Almost always you got the same information just phrased differently if you picked the normal option versus the [Science/Medicine/Barter] route.

Top Bottom