• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

PS3 version here:

1 crash in 6 hours
1 time where a land mine was floating 5 feet off the ground (was actually nice because I could avoid it easily)
half-second pauses when i'm booking it cross-country, when its loading the new area, wish they would patch it to fix this. also wish I could maybe do a bigger install or whatever, but loads for going in/out of a building is annoying (not long, just annoying)

I think it looks good, sounds good, and is a lot of fun, but I'm no graphics whore.
I can definitely see myself dumping a ton of time into this. I can already think of some build changes I would make.

edit: also, I'm saving often.

neoism

water_wendi said:
The save issue is on the PC right? Maybe its a cloud issue?
So what is the deal with that... I always turn autosave off, and manually save. I did read on the steam forums that just playing in offline mode fixes it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Since ive got nothing to do today besides housesit and wait for phonecalls ill try to post any mods or fixes or modfixes as they come up.

Mouse Acceleration Fix
Code:
The fix is the same as the Fallout 3 fix, except that these lines;

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

Need to go in your FalloutPrefs.ini under controls, instead of your Fallout.ini.
Seems to do the job just like with Fallout 3. Forum discussion is here. Also, when doing this be sure to uncheck Read-Only from the file properties if you are having trouble saving the changes.

Alright a few hours in and no freezes (360 version and uh...knock on wood).

Man I'm getting my ass kicked. Even on the easy setting if I run somewhere I'm bound to get jumped by giant radscorpions, these giant flies called..cacorozo...whatever they fucking beat my shit in.

I went to a place called Black Mountain and got jumped by
invisible mutants
so I went somewhere else and ugh...fucking Deathclaws.

Guess I'll stick to the story path for now.

Definitely not doing the hardcore route..just yet. I know I complained about the lack of this mode in my Fallout 3 GOTY review but oops didn't expect Obsidian to follow-through on the idea.

Good stuff so far though.

neoism

So what happened in the past with mods for F3... I only play one character and just do everything in the game. So was it possible to apply mods on F3, and still use old saves. Does it just depend on the mod.?

neoism

water_wendi said:
Already a couple mods up. FOOK - New Vegas and an early version of FO3Edit for NV. Other than that there is a nude mod up already but thats expected :lol
link please

Also anyone know what Launch options you can use in steam for this game?

Takuan

Just picked up the PC CE at lunch. Couldn't pass it up. Such a sap.

Source.
Edit: Yarr, foiled by random-generating avatar!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
neoism said:
So what happened in the past with mods for F3... I only play one character and just do everything in the game. So was it possible to apply mods on F3, and still use old saves. Does it just depend on the mod.?
Some mods you need to make a new game (extensive ones like FWE). Some you could wait an in-game week indoors with no characters around for the world to reset (Marts mod and all its spawns for example). Some you can add in and not really worry. So.. it depends on the mod.

edit:
neoism said:
link please
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34684
It only changes a couple things right now.

Vanilla Bug Fixing:
* Mayor Steyn's Terminal (Nipton) will have the right titles associated with the right notes now. Also removed a leftover script reference to the Helios One questline.
* Dog Hide now has a Weight of 1, like the Gecko Hide.

Vanilla Miscellaneous Edits:
* Jean Sky Diving's "Key"is now called, well ... "Jean Sky Diving Key".

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Varna said:
Hm... I'm seeing strange white spots every now and then. Almost like artifacts... but this game is not stressing my system one bit. Everything it's running extremely cool. Anyone have a similar issue?

This happens to me. Small white spots sometimes like my gpu memory is overheating or somethig, but it isn't...

So... is this game more buggy than Fallout 3? And is the 360 or the PC version worse for bugs?

I want to get the game on PC, but if the 360 version is more stable, I might go for that.

Can you switch off Hardcore Mode during a playthrough (if you find it too damn hard)?

Also, does Wild Wasteland affect the main narrative, or just incidental stuff?

epmode

crowphoenix said:
I want to get the game on PC, but if the 360 version is more stable, I might go for that.
In the long run, I guarantee that you'll want it on PC. At the very least, you're not completely screwed by bugs in the PC version due to all of the console cheats.

MiDNiGHTS said:
I guess I'm gonna go hardcore because I'm a crazy fool who doesn't know better. I blame the peer pressure in here if I get owned.

I want to do the same. It could be fun, or massochism. Won't know until I try :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
whatevermort said:
Can you switch off Hardcore Mode during a playthrough (if you find it too damn hard)?
You can toggle it on and off as you please. Leaving it on for the entire game is only for achievement/trophy.

Patryn

So I just picked up my copy of New Vegas from Gamestop. I had pre-ordered the regular version, but they had extra copies of the collector's so I asked to be upgraded. Apparently, however, for this to happen I technically had to "buy" the regular version and return it, then buy the collector's edition.

In all this, I never got the original receipt for my "purchase" of the regular version. I got the receipt for the second purchase. After I left and came back to work I realized that I was never given a card or anything with a code for the pre-order bonus. Reading up, I see that they're sometimes on the receipts, which I no longer have.

Did I just lose out on my Gamestop pre-order bonus content? And, if so, anyone got a spare code?

Patryn said:
So I just picked up my copy of New Vegas from Gamestop. I had pre-ordered the regular version, but they had extra copies of the collector's so I asked to be upgraded. Apparently, however, for this to happen I technically had to "buy" the regular version and return it, then buy the collector's edition.

In all this, I never got the original receipt for my "purchase" of the regular version. I got the receipt for the second purchase. After I left and came back to work I realized that I was never given a card or anything with a code for the pre-order bonus. Reading up, I see that they're sometimes on the receipts, which I no longer have.

Did I just lose out on my Gamestop pre-order bonus content? And, if so, anyone got a spare code?

I was at Gamestop earlier today and saw someone pick up their collectors edition preorder. Clerk told the guy that any bonuses are inside the box. Don't know how true that is though.

Dennis

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
Hard Mode, Hardcore on, No reticule is the way to go.
Awww. so close and yet you wimped out.

Hard difficulty, Hardcore mode, no reticule and no HUD at all, is the way to go.

There is literally nothing on the screen. Liking looking through your eyes. Total immersion as you walk the wasteland of Nevada.....

Amneisac

DennisK4 said:

Hard difficulty, Hardcore mode, no reticule and no HUD at all, is the way to go.

There is literally nothing on the screen. Liking looking through your eyes. Total immersion as you walk the wasteland of Nevada.....

I like to have fun when I play games, but thanks for the tip!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dalauz said:
Could someone explain the main diferences between wildwest mode and...normal (?) mode?
From the Vault
Wild Wasteland is a trait which only appears in Fallout: New Vegas.

Wild Wasteland unleashes the most bizarre and silly elements of post-apocalyptic America. Not for the faint of heart or the serious of temperament.

In an interview with Chris Avellone, he notes that the Wild Wasteland trait may add more references to older content in Fallout and Fallout 2, in regards to special encounters. Players without Wild Wasteland will find less silly analogues in places where Wild Wasteland modifies things. According to JE Sawyer the trait was added as a compromise because different members of the team often suggested 'wacky' content that others thought would be out of place.

Smokey

crap i just bought the game on my way home from best buy...now i'm thinking i should take it back with these bug reports and poor performance (360) :(

(._.)

Banned
Purchased it off Steam just five minutes ago, couldn't help myself. It looks so much fun. I have like four hours of free time tonight and it is all going towards New Vegas. Hopefully I don't have many issues running this.

Patryn said:

The "pre-order bonus" for the Gamestop classic pack was packaged inside my standard edition. I expect it should inside the case for the CE as well. It seems like all first print Gamestop copies will have the code packaged inside.

Wierd that they made process the purchase transaction for the standard ed. They could have just cancelled your pre-order and moved any pre-paid credit onto the purchase of the CE. I bet they just wanted to buff the numbers of completed pre-orders and not show a lost/cancelled pre-order.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Patryn said:

The codes should be in the box. I was absolutely sure to check to see if the codes were receipt based during the midnight launch last night, but the only receipt codes for that day were Vanquish and EA MMA.

If you ever get shafted on receipt codes in the future (it can happen, employees have to manually scan/punch in the SKU), you can always go back to the GameStop and have them print off a code. The POS system doesn't actually check to see if the game is on the same transaction as the code SKU, so employees can print off as many codes as they conceivably want or need.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Wierd that they made process the purchase transaction for the standard ed. They could have just cancelled your pre-order and moved any pre-paid credit onto the purchase of the CE. I bet they just wanted to buff the numbers of completed pre-orders and not show a lost/cancelled pre-order.

That's exactly what happened. Cancelled pre-orders count against the person who is doing the cancelling. Doing a return requires an extra step, but it doesn't cost the customer anything and it benefits the employee running the transaction.

Patryn said:

Its inside the game case.

(._.)

Banned
ZealousD said:
The codes should be in the box. I was absolutely sure to check to see if the codes were receipt based during the midnight launch last night, but the only receipt codes for that day were Vanquish and EA MMA.

If you ever get shafted on receipt codes in the future (it can happen, employees have to manually scan/punch in the SKU), you can always go back to the GameStop and have them print off a code. The POS system doesn't actually check to see if the game is on the same transaction as the code SKU, so employees can print off as many codes as they conceivably want or need.
Sometimes it will print off more than one code for just one preorder. I got around three SCII beta keys when I preorded the LE at my Gamestop.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DoctorWho said:
Better chance of encountering the TARDIS. (I know it's not in the game... )

I'll still turn it on just in case.
There might be :lol Its been awhile since a TARDIS appeared in a Fallout game. With the new series going there a sliver of hope :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(._.) said:
Sometimes it will print off more than one code for just one preorder. I got around three SCII beta keys when I preorded the LE at my Gamestop.

That employee probably scanned the SKU three times by accident or something. SC2 was actually about the time where they started moving to digital receipt codes over floppy pieces of paper, so mistakes were bound to happen.

Wild Wasteland Spoiler
Near the starting city, did anyone notice the fridge with the corpse in it and suave gambler's hat? I take it that was Indy, nuking the fridge?
am I correct?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The_Reckoning said:
Wild Wasteland Spoiler
Near the starting city, did anyone notice the fridge with the corpse in it and suave gambler's hat? I take it that was Indy, nuking the fridge?
am I correct?
i dont think that is a WW thing.. just an pop culture joke. Wild Wasteland seems to be some of the really wacky stuff like Elvis Presley pictures in crashed UFOs or TARDIS vanishing away or a whale and a flower pot in the desert or scenes from Monty Python playing out in-game or running into Pinky and the Brain or Doc and Marty running from slavers.

i like that they took this route with the crazy FO2 type stuff. Some people preferred the more serious setting of the first game and i get where they are coming from.

DennisK4 said:

Oh that is a good idea.

I think though I would be mashing Pip Boy a lot to check my health. There is literally no indicator for how close you are to death other than the HUD, I think.

I'll give it a shot but If i find myself suddenly dying too much I'll get the HUD back on.

8 hours in and the game has only crashed once (PC). It crashed just after I launched/loaded my save, but hasn't had any problems for a few hrs. Framerate is 20-60 depending what is happening on screen.

Shooting feels much tighter than FO3, I love the mod system, got a pimped out laser rifle and long barrel 357 :)

Minor wild wasteland spoilers below

You come across a jacked up town a few hours in. One of the destroyed houses had two burnt skeletons in front of it. The names were Owen and Beru.

FO1/FO2 weapon related spoiler below

Just picked up a pistol called "that gun". It shoots 556 and looks/sounds pretty cool. Googling says this is a gun from Blade Runner that was in the original Fallouts? (never played em)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sebulon3k said:
Why does Steam have to Install Direct X every single time I run this game, it's the 4th time running, yet it insists on doing first time setup.

WTF
It's not Steam really, it's the game's installer package. For whatever reason, it keeps getting triggered. Steam just does what the game installer setup tells it to.

The_Reckoning said:
Wild Wasteland Spoiler
am I correct?
That is indeed content that's exclusive to Wild Wasteland. My strategy guide confirms that. And yes, you are correct about the reference!

Reluctant-Hero said:
That is indeed content that's exclusive to Wild Wasteland. My strategy guide confirms that. And yes, you are correct about the reference!
Just that one instance alone solidifies it, Wild wasteland + hardcore for my first playthrough.

Dear Day,

Please END.

Regards,

Mr. C

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Reluctant-Hero said:
Oh wow. Guess that means WW for me when i get the game too!

Reluctant-Hero said:

awesome, thanks. I like how you get a sort of small visual clue when you stumble across WW related items. Love this game. If only it didn't play like absolute* horseshit. Nvidia...

*Hyperbole added.

Reluctant-Hero said:

If that's the kind of stuff that will be Wild Wasteland exclusive then I'm definitely going that way.

Top Bottom