• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Animator

Shinjitsu said:
Welcome to PC gaming bro!

Bullshit. I havent had a single problem with civ5, metro 2033, stalker, mafia, just cause, dead rising or any other pc game I played in the past 2 months. Obsidian are the most incompetent devs around.

I have to echo joystiq, it is baffling this game shipped in its current state. At this point I am half expecting it to format my C drive.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
reddwarf42 said:
You'd think after 10 years of coding it'd be fixed by now.
If it hasnt been fixed in all these years i doubt Obsidian is going to show up and fix stuff thats been plaguing every Bethesda release since Morrowind. The only way these bugs are going away is to use an engine that can actually handle huge open worlds.

Animator

water_wendi said:
If it hasnt been fixed in all these years i doubt Obsidian is going to show up and fix stuff thats been plaguing every Bethesda release since Morrowind. The only way these bugs are going away is to use an engine that can actually handle huge open worlds.

It sure as hell was saving fine before though. I dont expect Obsidian to fix things but they didnt have to go in and break more things.

MrMephistoX

Lagspike_exe said:
Is PS3 version the same bullshit like old Bethesda's work?

I'd like to know too. The PS3 version of FO3 was great after being patched for crashing and improved texture filtering but it was garbage at launch...hopefully not the case here although I'm probably getting the PC version.

water_wendi said:

It still shouldn't crash. Chug maybe but not crash.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Animator said:
It sure as hell was saving fine before though. I dont expect Obsidian to fix things but they didnt have to go in and break more things.
The save issue is on the PC right? Maybe its a cloud issue?

stupei said:
If you pick explosives as one of your three starters, the game starts you out with some dynamite and the gangs in the local area are very prone to using it too, so you'll be able to loot plenty off their bodies.

So far I'm actually explosives-speech-lockpicking, with Four Eyes and Good Natured and having a blast. :D

Punished in what way? I mean, aside from repair, I'd say those characteristics were largely under-valued in FO3.

Putting points in Big guns early in F3 was not wise because big guns did not show up until the latter half of the game. Overall, certain weapons, like scoped and sniper rifles did not benefit as much as they did from gun skill points. The better route to go in F3 was definitely through science, speech, repair, and non gun skills.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Animator said:
Bullshit. I havent had a single problem with civ5, metro 2033, stalker, mafia, just cause, dead rising or any other pc game I played in the past 2 months. Obsidian are the most incompetent devs around.

I have to echo joystiq, it is baffling this game shipped in its current state. At this point I am half expecting it to format my C drive.

Yep, and no one else has had issues with any of those games.:lol

Multiple people have said they have had smooth gaming experiences with the PC release. Different hardware configs cause issues, it's a fact. It's part of PC gaming. If you can't admit that you have some serious denial issues.

I love PC gaming, always have and will. But I'm not blind to the fact that shit gets messed up with different hardware.

Just because YOU personally haven't had issues doesn't mean that others haven't. Just like you might be having trouble with New Vegas when others have no issues at all.

KORPAH

Neo Member
Loved Fallout 3, decided to go ahead and just order Vegas on Amazon for release date delivery... long story short, I still don't have it yet the UPS tracking shows that the address is "incorrect"... I've had at least 10+ things ordered on Amazon and delivered to my apartment by UPS... it's probably just some dumbass UPS driver that's too lazy to do his damn job and look around the side of my apartment complex. Grr.

360versionbtw :)

JoeBoy101

darkpaladinmfc said:
Have fun everyone, I'm personally going to wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC, hopefully there will be some good mods by then too :D.

Given the same engine an repurposing of content, I imagine you'll see alot of popular mods rolling in within a month or so, like Fellout, for example. Its more the static mods (buildings and such) that will take time. Hell, I bet the texture replacer one (forget the name) could already be used or nearly used in it.

Shinjitsu

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Given the same engine an repurposing of content, I imagine you'll see alot of popular mods rolling in within a month or so, like Fellout, for example. Its more the static mods (buildings and such) that will take time. Hell, I bet the texture replacer one (forget the name) could already be used or nearly used in it.

Fellout isn't needed for New Vegas, it doesn't have that annoying green haze filter on it like Fallout 3 did.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Shinjitsu said:
Fellout isn't needed for New Vegas, it doesn't have that annoying green haze filter on it like Fallout 3 did.

yes, the first thing I thought about looking at NV screens is that they just applied Fellout to their game.

I'd wait for a new PIP-boy though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Already a couple mods up. FOOK - New Vegas and an early version of FO3Edit for NV. Other than that there is a nude mod up already but thats expected :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
very good. even i, who am very forgiving of fallout 3, will readily admit that metro was confusing and seemed very silly and not well conceived.

The Metro itself wasnt confusing, it was putting the world map and metro map together that was confusing.

HK-47 said:
The Metro itself wasnt confusing, it was putting together the world map and metro map together that was confusing.

The metro was always the most dreadful thing for me in FO3, knowing that one simple doesn't exist in NV whatsoever is music to my ears!

Carm

If you're thinking of getting the PC version, I'd stay away, it runs like shit unless you can brute force it. I'm getting low teens framerate in the starting area during firefights with one enemy, on any graphical settings. Framerate doesn't change between ultra>low, kinda mind boggling. I haven't seen a game run this bad in a long long time. GTA 4 runs better which is hilarious to me.

3.2 Dual Core
4g of Memory
460GTX 1gb superclocked.

stupei said:
Do you mean fast travel? You can use it on hardcore, just not if you want to travel somewhere so far that you would max out sleep, h20 or food in the process and die.

I recommend throwing it on and seeing if you like it. You can always switch it off at any time and the game is nice enough to (super mild spoiler about starting area)
start you very close to a clean water source that you can use any time at the beginning.

Thanks. I did mean fast travel. Their system makes sense.

owlbeak

Ouch...so the reviews are not so great and I'm hearing about a lot of issues with the PC version.

What version has the least problems?

Branson

So what does wild wasteland do exactly? At first I thought it made enemies crazy aggressive. Now I'm not so sure since I'm reading that it gives you different kinds of encounters and unique places that are not there if you don't have the perk?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dalauz said:
Darnified is out?
Havent seen Darns UI out yet. i expect it will be out shortly though.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/

edit:
Branson said:
So what does wild wasteland do exactly? At first I thought it made enemies crazy aggressive. Now I'm not so sure since I'm reading that it gives you different kinds of encounters and unique places that are not there if you don't have the perk?
Wild Wasteland has some wacky items and encounters that a non-WW game doesnt. The flip side is that a non-WW has some more realistic items and whatnot that a WW game doesnt.

Has this already been posted? From the Rock Paper Shotgun review:

type.jpg

Above you can see a woman at a desk. She’s typing at a computer. You can see her fingers moving, and hear the noise of the keys clattering. There’s just… no computer. Call me a stickler for detail, but that’s, I mean, she should have a computer.

Double D

Got the 360 version and took a 2 hour lunch to crack into it. Pretty great so far. No major bugs to speak of, just a very similar experience to FO3. I realized before I left the first house that Hardcore mode isn't for me. I would have taken the kitchen sink if the game let me :lol.

I am concerned with people not getting the game based on reviews. I will say this just based on the couple hours I spent with it: If you liked FO3, and would like more of that with a completely different map/NPC's, get this game.

Carm said:
If you're thinking of getting the PC version, I'd stay away, it runs like shit unless you can brute force it. I'm getting low teens framerate in the starting area during firefights with one enemy, on any graphical settings. Framerate doesn't change between ultra>low, kinda mind boggling. I haven't seen a game run this bad in a long long time. GTA 4 runs better which is hilarious to me.

3.2 Dual Core
4g of Memory
460GTX 1gb superclocked.

this is kind of getting me a little worried. I have the same setup except a 2.6 quad core.

Unregistered007 said:
How is the PS3 version ?

was the PS3 version of Alpha Protocol crappier than the 360 version ?

Honestly, a better question is was the PS3 version of Fallout 3 crappier than the 360 version? The tech is basically the same from all accounts

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If you have a nvidia card and are having problems what drivers are you using? There was a driver release yesterday that makes mention of New Vegas in its readme (its in reference to 3D stuff but still).

edit:
Also.. when i did my GOTY run i ended up using MaximizedWindow to run the game. Basically Fallout 3 ran like ass in Fullscreen mode and i had the odd CTD now and then. This program runs the game in windowed mode but expands it to make it appear as in Fullscreen. After i did that not only did i get rid of my CTDs but the game ran better and that stuttering bug disappeared. i also found true love and won the lottery with it installed. i would try it out myself but i dont have the game yet :(

epmode

So wait, are Nvidia people seeing drastically worse framerates in New Vegas vs. Fallout 3? I hope not... But I still haven't opened my copy so I can always return it.

Spookie

*Looking for a NPC in a quarry full of mobs with two pets in tow*

"Hey be-careful over there that's a full size Deathcla- SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT... Fuck."

*reloads*

Carm said:

3.2 Dual Core
4g of Memory
460GTX 1gb superclocked.

So weird. It runs smoothly on High with Vsync on even on my laptop with a core 2 duo and ATI 4670. I haven't gotten to try it on my desktop yet though.

Horsebite said:
Ouch...so the reviews are not so great and I'm hearing about a lot of issues with the PC version.

What version has the least problems?

Since when are mostly 8s and a few 9s not so great?

Amneisac

Hmm, I hope I'm not disappointed with the PC version, I enjoyed Fallout 3 on the 360, but everyone kept nutting all over the PC version so I bought that this time. I've got an i5-750 oc'd to 3.8 with 4gb ram and an OC'd 1gb gtx460.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
piratepwnsninja said:
So weird. It runs smoothly on High with Vsync on even on my laptop with a core 2 duo and ATI 4670. I haven't gotten to try it on my desktop yet though.
Everyone that has been running the game fine has had ATI from what i can tell so its likely something that can be addressed in a driver update or patch.

Since when are mostly 8s and a few 9s not so great?
When its Lolbsidian!

Chiggs

Gold Member
360 version here. Got into a gunfight at Primm and got stuck in VATS. Unable to exit so I had to exit to the dashboard. Lost an hour of progress. Sweet!

Swag

Why does Steam have to Install Direct X every single time I run this game, it's the 4th time running, yet it insists on doing first time setup.

WTF

Does anyone think that maybe it'd be a good idea to have a separate board like the matchmaking board where people can go to JUST talk about graphics and hardware issues for PC on new releases?

I don't mind if people discuss it but it does the guys looking for Hardware and performance talk no favors to have to filter through game discussion, nor does it benefit people looking for game discussion to have to read and skip over pc performance posts. Just an idea.

Hard Mode, Hardcore on, No reticule is the way to go.

I played stalker with no reticule too, I think it's an immersion breaker in a game that focuses so much on the world they've created.

Plus it makes every encounter that much more frenetic if you don't have time to get iron sights up. :lol

For some reason hardcore makes this feel a lot more like stalker than F3 did. I love it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sebulon3k said:
Why does Steam have to Install Direct X every single time I run this game, it's the 4th time running, yet it insists on doing first time setup.

WTF
There are updates to Direct X that dont change the easily identifiable version number. Usually they have a month in the name of the redistributable.

stupei

Chiggs said:
360 version here. Got into a gunfight at Primm and got stuck in VATS. Unable to exit so I had to exit to the dashboard. Lost an hour of progress. Sweet!

You're playing a game in Oblivion engine and you didn't save for an entire hour?

Swag

Anyone else encountered the bug where people speak but no VA is played, restarting the game doesn't seem to fix it.

No idea what to do :lol

Top Bottom