• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

leng jai

Amneisac said:
I'd rather play a good game that freezes up every now and then than Fable 3.

It's funny: Fable was crushed by Morrowind. Fable 2 was crushed by Fallout 3, and now Fable 3 is crushed by Fallout NV.

(this 'crushing' is only in terms of actual CHOICE meaning something in a video game. i think it's funny how molyneux would always talk such a big game, but the stuff he talked about was done 10x better in the Bethesda games that came out around the same time. yes i realize NV isn't fully bethesda, but it still works)

Pre-emptive crushing?

Animator

DarkGiygas said:
Just kill him, he turns on you anyway

Oh I do that anyway but I wanted to get as much XP as I can before I do. Where is the damn tower though, I looked for it for an hour seriously.

Amory

Animator said:
Can someone tell me where the broken radio tower\antenna is around goodspring? I am supposed to save this dudes gf but I couldnt find it anywhere.
If you just look around the area where the dude is, you'll see it up on a ridge. It's to the right and a little ways from that trailer thing if I remember correctly.

They shouldve made it a formal quest with a marker...

avcables

Banned
Animator said:
Can someone tell me where the broken radio tower\antenna is around goodspring? I am supposed to save this dudes gf but I couldnt find it anywhere.

Good timing. If you have Wild Wasteland, you'll find this nearby, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7AP8Da2gU

Johnny "Five Aces" from The Zybourne Clock, an abandoned game project proposed by members of Something Awful. The original sketch for this game was the inspiration for his appearance.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Still no problems..Okay strike that I just hit my first freeze. I was leaving some NCR camp(the one way to the southwest with the two giant statues)
I'm on the 360 and not connected to XBL. Had to reset the console but I was able to reload my autosave just fine. Course I'm still saving every 10 to 15 minutes..even though now I gotta worry about the possibility of corrupt saves..ughghghgh

Ah the reason I still have about 100+ for FO3 on the PS3. Man I wish the PS3 would let you do group deletes.

Just around 6 and a half hours of playtime and I crashed after a load screen and the auto save is corrupt. Xbox version. Digging the game otherwise. :D

Edit: Can you store items in the motel room you can rent in Novac?

i was playing using an 360 controller and the game is still showing prompts for key strokes. also ive been playing over 2 hours and steam shows 33 minutes. i got the achievement for repairing 30 items in-game but not on steam

other than that im having the time of my life.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CAW said:
PC Steam version: after about 4 hours of straight play this afternoon my game locked up and I had to close it out using the task manager. Upon re-starting, my QUICK and AUTO save somehow reverted back to my level 1 character (was currently level 4) even though I had just exited a building where it should have AUTO saved. Luckly for me though, an actual SAVE I had made (saving from the menu) was still there and wasn't too far back. Also some of my setting changes had also reset, like hud color and music volume.

So just an FYI if you're only using AUTO and QUICK save, you might want to make an actual SAVE now and then too.

I always menu save. I dont trust quick and auto in RPGs.

Animator

Thanks guys!

BlueTsunami said:
Cowboy Repeater > *

Sorry no. Try out melee in the game with spiked gloves. Melee is retarded overpowered in this game, it is borderline god mode. I havent encountered anything I havent killed in 3 punches in the first 5 hours of the game. I dont even have a strenght build, my characters strenght is 5.

ezekial45 said:
Anyone found any mod kits? I'm curious to see what you can make turn your pistols into.

Haven't found a "kit" per-say but I did get a scope for my Nine from Chet in Goodsprings for a cool 200 Caps or so. Quickly became my favorite gun, but I need something with a little more zoom to it, maybe a rifle.

epmode

Jswanko said:
Was just walking out of Goodsprings for the first time and then some weird music played and a pip boy popped up in the corner with "...." next to it, wtf was it?
I think you found the
Indiana Jones in a fridge
easter egg.

Animator said:
Oh I do that anyway but I wanted to get as much XP as I can before I do. Where is the damn tower though, I looked for it for an hour seriously.

From the third Goodspring Well near where you meet that dude, scan the hill. It's the fairly obvious large metal scaffold that's broken in half. Don't go up until it's light though, there's a lot of Geckos up that trail and it can be very challenging for even a combat specced character.

avcables

Banned
chubigans said:
Hardcore Mode impressions, anyone? PS3 load times? Someone? Anybody? :p

If you've played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it's a bit like that. Ammo has weight, you need to eat, drink, and sleep to survive. It's basically throwing an extra handful of realism into the mix so you don't just go around with 99,999 9mm ammo, blasting everything away for days. You need to manage yourself in the wasteland, the way it should be.

It's sort of broken, though, depending on who you ask. I think the balances of how fast the values generate should be tweaked for difficulties. In Normal mode, I've played probably three or four hours and have only gotten as high as 250 on the H2O scale.

Still, it's another level of depth to the game which is more than welcome.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was trying to hold out for fable 3 but I broke down and ordered this for the 360. Looks like amazon still giving the $10 credit even though it's out, yippy.

avcables

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
How can my I make my character not have methfreak speedrun enabled all the time?

I noticed that too, but only indoors. You can hit Caps Lock to walk slower (obviously depending on platform) but then it's too slow. I don't understand it, either.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Animator said:
Sorry no. Try out melee in the game with spiked gloves. Melee is retarded overpowered in this game, it is borderline god mode. I havent encountered anything I havent killed in 3 punches in the first 5 hours of the game. I dont even have a strenght build, my characters strenght is 5.

I like to keep a distance and the repeater does that for me (mid distance at least). I've also retrofit my Varmint Rifle with a Night Vision Scope <3

duckroll

So with another 2 days to wait before I have any chance of playing this... is there a chance that the problems (especially the Steam Cloud save corruption) will be fixed soon? Sounds pretty buggy even by Obsidian standards.

Eric WK

avcables said:
If you've played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it's a bit like that. Ammo has weight, you need to eat, drink, and sleep to survive. It's basically throwing an extra handful of realism into the mix so you don't just go around with 99,999 9mm ammo, blasting everything away for days. You need to manage yourself in the wasteland, the way it should be.

It's sort of broken, though, depending on who you ask. I think the balances of how fast the values generate should be tweaked for difficulties. In Normal mode, I've played probably three or four hours and have only gotten as high as 250 on the H2O scale.

Still, it's another level of depth to the game which is more than welcome.

Yeah, it is very easy to maintain if you prepare for it (and even if you don't you can just fast travel to a vendor for food or water or to a town with a bed). Then again, it was never hyped as anything super difficult.

The way it stands, there's not really any reason folks shouldn't be doing Hardcore Mode, in my opinion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
So with another 2 days to wait before I have any chance of playing this... is there a chance that the problems (especially the Steam Cloud save corruption) will be fixed soon? Sounds pretty buggy even by Obsidian standards.

Prooobably not in two days. With NWN2 the big patch that fixed up the big issues was out in a week...though who knows how being multiplat will affect it. Modders seems to be jumping on board the listing ship though.

epmode

duckroll said:
No idea. But on the bright side, it's a Steamworks game so there's no bullshit Microsoft certification to slow it down.

duckroll

I'm mostly concerned about the save corruption bug. That would really, really piss me off. Occasional crashes I can probably deal with, and I have an ATI card so the nvidia bug shouldn't affect me. Arghhh... Obsidian.....

kai3345

Banned
About 2 hours in and loving it.

Had a funny experience with a Powder Ganger, he was just walking around and I guess stepped on a mine or something, and he blew his leg off :lol . Anyway I was able to loot his body without upsetting any of the other Gangers and so now I've been going around disguised as a Powder Ganger :D. Unfortunately the Correctional Facility Guard saw thru my disguise :(

Explored around for a bit and some of the towns seem really cool.

Also have experienced no bugs

I cannot believe my very first experience with this game was a fucking bug. During the intro video, I was questioning why it was taking so long playing just music. Then when the guy that shoots you started to talk and I was hearing nothing, I knew I just missed a voice over. I'm actully kind if upset. I fear for my first playthrough of this game.

Llyranor

I read somewhere (in this thread?) that Steam has unactivated Steamcloud for this game to 'fix' the save bug for now. You can only manually save.

ATI card here too, whoooo!

Swag

How are we supposed to see in the dark? It's like I can't see SHIT

Trying to get the information from Manny Vegas about the Khans, at the rocket factory finding that ghoul

BlueTsunami

So are people playing on the 360 getting corrupt files too? (not pertaining to the Steam cloud). I think I read someone having corrupt files on their 360.

Zeliard

Solstice said:
I've been like that ever since Doom 3...

I've been like that ever since I can remember. :p

Though I try never to use quick saving/loading to choose a different path or dialogue option or whatever. I tend to stick with what I go with in the first place, but I do quick save allllll the goddamn time just to reduce frustration.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sebulon3k said:
How are we supposed to see in the dark? It's like I can't see SHIT

Trying to get the information from Manny Vegas about the Khans, at the rocket factory finding that ghoul
If its like Falllout 3.. if you hold down the button that brings up your Pipboy, the Pipboy light will turn on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol I'm still getting the game but I'm gonna hold off on playing it for now. Wait for the driver fix and the first big patch.

JoeBoy101 said:
Initial Observations after a few hours of play:

- The music and sound are vastly superior to Fallout 3, especially voice acting and the ambient music. Has a real RDR vibe to it. Makes walking around the Wasteland much more appealing.

- No ugly green filter, yayyyyy!!

- Writing is stronger off the bat and I like the way the game starts with you in the town. Plus, the town (Goodsprings) feels more authentic than anything in FO3.

These are a huge plus for me so far.

BlueTsunami

Rikyfree said:
How do you mod stuff in this game like guns? I haven't figured that out yet.

Some stores in the Miscellaneous section (I believe) has parts that can be used for mods. You then have to purchase it, go into your Pipboy and press a button to bring up the mod screen then apply the mod. They seem a little rare though (have only been able to mod my Varmint Rifle so far with a nightvision scope).

Holy shit after 6 hours of playing I can safely say that I like this more than F3. Doing some of the missions have been super weird. My god this is so damn good!

iammeiam

Man, some bugs in this game don't even make sense. It's completely non-harmful, but every time I enter the
Gibson's Garage
building, my companion loads in pitch-black. If I go to third-person, my character looks normal, the area's well lit, etc, but my companion is a mobile tear in spacetime, offering a glimpse of infinite blackness. If I turn on my PipBoy light, he looks normal. Turn it off, back to the void.

360 version, companion is
Boone
; curious to see if it happens to anyone else.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
iammeiam said:
Man, some bugs in this game don't even make sense. It's completely non-harmful, but every time I enter the
Gibson's Garage
building, my companion loads in pitch-black. If I go to third-person, my character looks normal, the area's well lit, etc, but my companion is a mobile tear in spacetime, offering a glimpse of infinite blackness. If I turn on my PipBoy light, he looks normal. Turn it off, back to the void.

360 version, companion is
Boone
; curious to see if it happens to anyone else.
i know its not what you want to hear since its said so often with Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 but have you tried clearing your cache?

edit: in Fallout 3 to clear the cache you held LB, RB and X as soon as you start the game until Press Start appears.

Top Bottom