• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Jerk

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
performance is really weird i was running around inside doc mitchells house with fraps on and id go from over 100 fps to 20 for no reason in certain "spots" they didnt even have to be intensive with like lighting or anything...

Oh god...

My 8600 may not make it...

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Bugs are only gonna get worse as games (especially in genres like sandbox and open world rpgs) get more complex. Something has to dial back.

But is that really true? Can we really consider Fallout 3, Alpha Protocol, etc to be MORE complex than games in the past? Fallout 2 was pretty damn complex (okay and it had a ton of bugs too), so was Planescape Torment. And there's nothing in Alpha Protocol's gameplay and level design which I really felt was any more complex than say, Crusader. X-Com 2 is still a more complex game than pretty much any modern game.

Wallach

Why does my life insist on getting very busy right when I want to play something awesome...? Seriously, fuck you real life. I don't like you right now.

Anyway, I'm actually really glad I restarted while I was still in Goodsprings. Explosives seems to capture the majority of the old big guns playstyle and the stat allocation works better at the start.

All the performance qualms make me glad I went ATI. Never thought I'd actually get to say that.

Alucrid

Banned
Did anyone get an email saying they got the promo credit from Amazon? I got it yesterday but when I checked it was just the $20 I had from Halo Reach even though I got the email saying I got it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone get ifpsclamp working? I can't edit the fallout.ini by default (it's read only), but when I change it and edit the file, it simply resets itself upon playing. So I get that awful stuttering.

I need to fix this in order to play the game.

Without ifpsclamp = 60, the game stutters like mad.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
But is that really true? Can we really consider Fallout 3, Alpha Protocol, etc to be MORE complex than games in the past? Fallout 2 was pretty damn complex (okay and it had a ton of bugs too), so was Planescape Torment. And there's nothing in Alpha Protocol's gameplay and level design which I really felt was any more complex than say, Crusader. X-Com 2 is still a more complex game than pretty much any modern game.

Well, it's general complexity combined with the increase in visual fidelity and real-time stuff happening in the game world, such as (poor) attempts at "realistic" behavioral A.I. Poor or not, they take up a lot of resources.

Gamebryo struggles mightily in coping with this sort of thing. I don't know what the fuck Bethesda is thinking using it in their next game.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
Well, it's general complexity combined with the increase in visual fidelity and real-time stuff happening in the game world, such as (poor) attempts at "realistic" behavioral A.I. Poor or not, they take up a lot of resources.

Gamebryo struggles mightily in coping with this sort of thing. I don't know what the fuck Bethesda is thinking using it in their next game.

Oh certainly. I definitely agree with that. I just don't think the answer is "dialing back" but rather building a better engine and having a better foundation in the basic design. If you force using a toolset (in this case Gamebryo) to do things it was never made to do, things tend to break. But that doesn't mean the same things cannot be achieved with minimal problems if you build the technology from ground up to support the intended game design.

Fredescu

dark10x said:
Anyone get ifpsclamp working? I can't edit the fallout.ini by default (it's read only), but when I change it and edit the file, it simply resets itself upon playing. So I get that awful stuttering.
Did you change it back to read only after editing it?

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Oh certainly. I definitely agree with that. I just don't think the answer is "dialing back" but rather building a better engine and having a better foundation in the basic design. If you force using a toolset (in this case Gamebryo) to do things it was never made to do, things tend to break. But that doesn't mean the same things cannot be achieved with minimal problems if you build the technology from ground up to support the intended game design.

Totally agree with you.

I'm really curious about The Witcher 2. I know a lot of it is simply marketing-talk, but CD Projekt keep harping on the notion that they've built the "perfect RPG engine," and I'm really curious to see what it can do. Certainly, the game looks absolutely gorgeous, but I'm also interested in some of the other things like NPC behaviors and such.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
Totally agree with you.

I'm really curious about The Witcher 2. I know a lot of it is simply marketing-talk, but CD Projekt keep harping on the notion that they've built the "perfect RPG engine," and I'm really curious to see what it can do. Certainly, the game looks absolutely gorgeous, but I'm also interested in some of the other things like NPC behaviors and such.

When's the game due to be released again? It seems to have been in development for years now, and CD Projekt seems to be having cash flow problems every now and then. Seems a bit... worrying?

Fredescu

duckroll said:
When's the game due to be released again? It seems to have been in development for years now, and CD Projekt seems to be having cash flow problems every now and then. Seems a bit... worrying?
First half of 2011 they say. I'm worried about it too.

Zeliard

duckroll said:

I know there was some strange issue at some point with the console versions, where they had to end up shelving them. Not sure what really happened with that (I think I recall it being for financial reasons), but the PC version should end up solid. Supposed to be due in Q1 2011. If we see delays past that, it'll be worrisome.

Flib

Still no word on temporary alleviations for the nvidia fix? Game runs like shit on my computer for absolutely no reason.

Zeliard

There is a new Nvidia driver that came out yesterday. Doesn't note that it does anything specifically about NV (and it would be too early to), but it's worth a shot to see if it improves anything. I'm installing it now myself.

cleveridea said:
did anyone get the gamestop preorder canteena? is it reusable? I keep getting a prompt to use it, but I dont bother as its easy at the start of the game to get rad free water sources

Sebulon3k said:
Oh shit I didn't think I was supposed to use it when I saw that prompt, thought my dude was just taking swigs on his own :lol

I have the canteen as well. You don't need to "use" it as an item. As long as it is in your inventory, your character automatically uses it on his own. I believe it decreases H20 by 25 points on Hardcore mode with norma difficulty.

If you play on Hardcore, it's a fraking amazing item to have!

Carm

Zeliard said:
There is a new Nvidia driver that came out yesterday. Doesn't note that it does anything specifically about NV (and it would be too early to), but it's worth a shot to see if it improves anything. I'm installing it now myself.

Exact same driver as the last beta driver, same shitty performance in game. This shit needs to be fixed fast, game is unplayable for a lot of people. Turning water down doesn't do shit either.

Zeliard

Reluctant-Hero said:
I have the canteen as well. You don't need to "use" it as an item. As long as it is in your inventory, your character automatically uses it on his own. I believe it decreases H20 by 25 points on Hardcore mode with norma difficulty.

When does he use it? When your H20 level reaches a certain point?

Captain Pants said:
I just hit level three and wasn't given an option to pick perks. Is that normal?

It's normal for New Vegas. You can only pick Perks on every other level. Specifically the even number levels; 2, 4, 6, 8... all the way to 30. So you'll get to pick 15 perks through level-ups.

Zeliard said:
When does he use it? When your H20 level reaches a certain point?

I think it's a timed usage? I haven't been paying attention to the intervals. I just see the pop-up on the top left corner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reluctant-Hero said:

Damn, I should redeem the code then.

I also heard if you try to mod the gun you get from it, it turns into an error symbol ala The Pitt's initial clusterfuck release. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Reluctant-Hero said:
It's normal for New Vegas. You can only pick Perks on every other level. Specifically the even number levels; 2, 4, 6, 8... all the way to 30. So you'll get to pick 15 perks through level-ups.

Ok... thanks! I was worried for a moment. I've got glitch paranoia.:p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HK-47 said:
Bugs are only gonna get worse as games (especially in genres like sandbox and open world rpgs) get more complex. Something has to dial back.

Complex in rendering engines, but not complex in gameplay. Games like Fallout 2, PlaneScape, and Arcanum still beat the ever loving crap out of practically ever modern RPG in terms of gameplay complexity.

But they were also buggy as hell, so I'm not sure what my point is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, fixed it. Had to edit every ini file available and make sure both in the My Games folder were "read only".

Runs perfect thus far outdoors (60 fps, no slowdown) at max details + 1080p + 4x multisampling.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
With max Perception I can hit an enemy (with a scoped weapon) from right on the edge of the enemy draw distance :lol Mix that with
Ed's Perk that allows threats to be brought up on the compass from farther
, I'm a sharpshooting monster. I'll make a Melee character on my re-playthrough but for now, I'm so enjoying this. So happy Perception is actually useful this time around.

dark10x said:
OK, fixed it. Had to edit every ini file available and make sure both in the My Games folder were "read only".

Runs perfect thus far outdoors (60 fps, no slowdown) at max details + 1080p + 4x multisampling.

doesnt it really slow down when it cant maintain 60 though?

dream

Jesus, I'm starting to dread having to go inside large buildings because of how confusing their layouts are. Fallout 3's interiors weren't this poorly designed, were they?

Varna

Finally got into a fire fight and experienced the extreme drop in performance and mouse lag... yeah, basically unplayable when ever a situation like it comes up.

neoism

Played for 6 hours straight pretty much. It kept minimizing so I just decided to quit. I love it so far, fucking awesome. So worth the 9.96 :p But WTF is with exp jesus christ I'm so happy I have the PC version because I can mod it in later. I've been playing 6 hours and I'm already level 5. I'm leveling waaay to fast. I tested very hard, and I seemed to get the same exp. In F3 you got a shit load for one enemy. I play these game for hours and hours. I need to level slower. :(

SalsaShark said:
GT review is up, for those who were asking.

good score

I have a feeling "OMG BUGS" + "LOOKS LIKE FALLOUT 3" is gonna keep this a solid B level score, of course both of those things can be fixed in time on PC, and where it counts, it seems to be an A game.

For every knock against Bethesda for animators, we have to knock obsidian for bugs :lol

then again Obsidian game on a Bethesda made engine well.... i think its actually doing a little better than id imagine... seems like it could used a few more months of QA tho...

avcables

Banned
dark10x said:

I'm hoping this relieves the same issue for me. I don't think I should be having as much stuttering and issues with my E8400 and GTX 460. :\

Flib

It's actually really interesting to me why this keeps happening with Obsidian. I mean, this sort of thing has plagued all of their games, including back through the Troika and Black Isle predecessors. I still love all their games to death, but why can't they ever find decent tech people?

I understand there are budgetary issues etc, but all of their games are so acclaimed yet riddled with bugs. I'd be interested if anyone had any insight into why that is, aside from "lol all their games do, par for the course."

Varna

I can't wait for some difficulty mods. I really like the weapon damage in FWE. It's just a joke otherwise.

During the first story related battle my character was basically tanking. I was taking a bunch of single fire shotgun blast and a Magnum at point blank. Did not have to use one healing item. I'm playing on hard and my character only has 5 endurance!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Been playing for 7 or 8 hours. Got to this town roughly between Goodsprings and New Vegas. One of the quests there is to go into a nest of Deathclaws and kill the Mother Deathclaw and the Alpha Male Deathclaw.

lol no

Dalauz

Maybe spoiler
I was looking a way to make Darnified UI mod work, i didnt make it...but found:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Music\Fallout1and2

change your drive and destination folders

IM ALL SMILES

avcables

Banned
So I modified those ifpsclamp settings and now I can really see where the FPS is directly affecting the speed of the game. Inside buildings I get 120+FPS and I'm literally running around like a crackhead. Outside I'll get 60FPS and things are fine, and when they dip, the game slows down so much it's ridiculous.

Obviously it's not suppose to work like that. What gives?

Dalauz

Nose Master said:
Took me forever to find the god damn Xander Root. :lol

Same. The hitbox was kinda buggy. I actually enter that school? and CLICKED everything and move every single piece of wood.
stupid thing was outside

WEGGLES

Fuck yes! Early birthday present!

Running well, but randomly hitting jank. For no reason. Not unplayable by any means.

Also the dogs eyes were about half a foot beside his head, and vertically oriented (like a traffic light) :lol

And x and y sensitivity feel off.

Top Bottom