• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Reluctant-Hero said:
Whoa... that is not cool. What were you using to save to? Memory stick, internal flash memory, external HDD?

I saved them to the HDD, same as every other save I make. Damn, I was about to help that dude from the gas station too. :(

Edit: Crappy cell pic as proof...

1019101641.jpg

epmode

DarthWoo said:
I'm sure this must have been covered somewhere, but this thread is going too fast. Why do I still need to have the disc in my system if it's installed on Steam?
You don't.
iammeiam said:
Yep, there's a "do you wanna respec" prompt, same as FO3
Thank you!

You know a game is about the experience not the graphics but I can't take IGN's journalism serious when they give this game a 9 for graphics in their review. Fallout 3 was an ugly game in 2008 and this looks even worse in 2010. Low res textures, stiff animations, glitches. It's all still there and I wish they would just review it appropriately.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1129025p2.html

Lazslo

Just picked it up- same as Fallout 3 I always have trouble getting started- any advice to what quests I should do first?

Its been so long that I don't remember how I usually distribute my SPECIAL stats for my small gun toting, lock picking, repairman.

I think it was

S 4
P 6
E 4
C 1
I 7
A 8
L 6

Are there items like the bobbleheads in Fallout 3 that increase SPECIAL stats?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
epmode said:
You don't.Thank you!

That was odd, it gave me a disc error the last time I tried starting it up through Steam. However, I now notice that it keeps resetting my HUD and subtitle settings.

Massa

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You know a game is about the experience not the graphics but I can't take IGN's journalism serious when they give this game a 9 for graphics in their review. Fallout 3 was an ugly game in 2008 and this looks even worse in 2010. Low res textures, stiff animations, glitches. It's all still there and I wish they would just review it appropriately.

Fallout 3 looks great, as does Fallout New Vegas. Art direction is about 90% of what makes a game look good anyway and way more important than the stuff you mentioned.

MrMephistoX

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1128839p1.html

The UK review is a much better read.

Patryn

A postscript to my story: The code was in the box, not that it matters because MY FUCKING 360 BROKE.

I still have my old Pro around, but it can't hook up with the internet so I a.)can't use the content anyways and b.)won't be able to recover my gamertag thus will lose all my save data stuff anyways.

So do I a.)play the game now knowing that these saves/playthrough will go away forever or b.)wait until Microsoft returns my broken console.

CAW

PC Steam version: after about 4 hours of straight play this afternoon my game locked up and I had to close it out using the task manager. Upon re-starting, my QUICK and AUTO save somehow reverted back to my level 1 character (was currently level 4) even though I had just exited a building where it should have AUTO saved. Luckly for me though, an actual SAVE I had made (saving from the menu) was still there and wasn't too far back. Also some of my setting changes had also reset, like hud color and music volume.

So just an FYI if you're only using AUTO and QUICK save, you might want to make an actual SAVE now and then too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Glitches, I can handle. Hard locks/freezes, less so. But all this corrupted save talk is really making me nervous. I can't think of anything worse in gaming than losing a game save.

DennisK4 said:
Yeah, but they stll gave it an 8 for graphics which is just silly. New Vegas has 5/10 graphics. If you give it 8 what kind of game would score less?

The graphics are pretty bad for a 2010 game. Now we all knew it wouldn't be much to look at but reviewers shouldn't take their readers for idiots.

Maybe they're taking scope into account. How's the draw distance? I spent most of my time designing my character and didnt get a chance to actually play.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
CAW said:
PC Steam version: after about 4 hours of straight play this afternoon my game locked up and I had to close it out using the task manager. Upon re-starting, my QUICK and AUTO save somehow reverted back to my level 1 character (was currently level 4) even though I had just exited a building where it should have AUTO saved. Luckly for me though, an actual SAVE I had made (saving from the menu) was still there and wasn't too far back. Also some of my setting changes had also reset, like hud color and music volume.

So just an FYI if you're only using AUTO and QUICK save, you might want to make an actual SAVE now and then too.
There is a known problem that Valve is looking into about cloud saves messing up. It was recommended to change to offline mode until this is fixed.

So.. it really just threw me into a game of caravan without explaining the rules. What the hell cards am I supposed to pick for my deck?

Edit: nvm I see there's a help section in the pause menu.

sflufan

Banned
water_wendi said:
There is a known problem that Valve is looking into about cloud saves messing up. It was recommended to change to offline mode until this is fixed.

Actually Valve has now disabled Steam Cloud support for the game which has disabled the auto save and quick save. To save, you HAVE to do a manual one.

anddo0

Just had my first lock up (PS3)... It's ironic because my friend just messaged me asking how the game was. I said "It's great, 5 straight hours and no freezes". I send my reply, go back to the game, and 45 secs later it locks up after I exit a building.:lol :/

How do I change the resolution? Its displaying in widescreen mode, and I want it to play in full screen.

I'm on PC, I cant find how to change this in settings...

epmode

By the way, the framerate stutters I mentioned earlier (which happened only when turning sharply) were resolved by turning the water multisampling to Low. Everything else is on Ultra.

I know someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, I just thought it might be useful for someone else.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Liking it so far. It's pretty much exactly like FO3 in every way, but it's a lot of fun. Graphics are hideous. I remember being impressed with FO3 first coming out of the vault and seeing the world, but it just doesn't look good 2 years later.

Minor complaints aside I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with this game.

ckohler

For the record, I was just walking around Goodsprings ten feet from where you start the game and had the game slow to a 1 FPS crawl for a good 10-15 seconds. It corrected itself but it was a pretty obvious glitch. This is on the 360. So, that's one glitch so far.

MMaRsu

DennisK4 said:
Yeah, but they stll gave it an 8 for graphics which is just silly. New Vegas has 5/10 graphics. If you give it 8 what kind of game would score less?

The graphics are pretty bad for a 2010 game. Now we all knew it wouldn't be much to look at but reviewers shouldn't take their readers for idiots.

Maybe they take into account the atmosphere?

Hyunkel6

Oh god, all this talk about freezings, glitches and corrupted saves is seriously making me want to switch my pre-order for Fable III or Black Ops. Is it really that bad? I played Fallout 3 for around 300 hours, and only noticed very minor glitches. For people who played Fallout 3, are the glitches, bugs more obvious/widespread in New Vegas?

JoeBoy101

Initial Observations after a few hours of play:

- The music and sound are vastly superior to Fallout 3, especially voice acting and the ambient music. Has a real RDR vibe to it. Makes walking around the Wasteland much more appealing.

- No ugly green filter, yayyyyy!!

- Writing is stronger off the bat and I like the way the game starts with you in the town. Plus, the town (Goodsprings) feels more authentic than anything in FO3.

- Framerate is atrocious at times. And I am using the current Nvidia drivers. They need to get this shit fixed straight. Seems centered around number of active people on screen.

- I saw the issue with Steam Cloud and saving, but have been playing in Offline mode. Other than needing to do the Mouse Acceleration fix, everything is running without a hitch (framerate excluded).

- Game feels tougher than FO3 and the iron sights is a nice touch. I prefer it over VATS right now for dinky enemies.

- Weapon Repair Kits! Thank Jesus!

- The crafting overall looks deep but cumbersome. Essentially all recipe based, with a LOT of recipes and ingredients. Just about everything can be used, it seems.

So, overall, I give it a qualified thumbs up with the thought that a patch for the framerate will be coming soon.

Amory

Man, the collector's edition is classy as hell. The poker chips are really good quality, and have a nice weight to them. The book is nicely bound and the illustrations are awesome. Even the box...I loved the lunchbox that Fallout 3 CE came in, but this one's cool too, textured to look worn and really sturdy.

As for the game, it's more Fallout 3 essentially, and that's not a bad thing in my book. I haven't encountered any glitches or bugs that people have been talking about, though I'm only about 2 hours in. It's as daunting as it was last time around to simply get started with so much to do and so many places to go.

also, whatever actress voices Sunny Smiles has a really cute voice, anyone know who it is?

JoeBoy101

BrassMonkey1010 said:
How do I change the resolution? Its displaying in widescreen mode, and I want it to play in full screen.

I'm on PC, I cant find how to change this in settings...

Can't do it in game, need to change it on the launcher screen, and choose options.

Amneisac

Hyunkel6 said:
Oh god, all this talk about freezings, glitches and corrupted saves is seriously making me want to switch my pre-order for Fable III or Black Ops. Is it really that bad? I played Fallout 3 for around 300 hours, and only noticed very minor glitches. For people who played Fallout 3, are the glitches, bugs more obvious/widespread in New Vegas?

I'd rather play a good game that freezes up every now and then than Fable 3.

It's funny: Fable was crushed by Morrowind. Fable 2 was crushed by Fallout 3, and now Fable 3 is crushed by Fallout NV.

(this 'crushing' is only in terms of actual CHOICE meaning something in a video game. i think it's funny how molyneux would always talk such a big game, but the stuff he talked about was done 10x better in the Bethesda games that came out around the same time. yes i realize NV isn't fully bethesda, but it still works)

Gravijah

chubigans said:
Glitches, I can handle. Hard locks/freezes, less so. But all this corrupted save talk is really making me nervous. I can't think of anything worse in gaming than losing a game save.

Uhm, seriously. What version(s) of the game is this happening on? Is it corrupting ALL saves?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I haven't encountered any problems so far. Technically anyway. I do have a bit of framerate stuttering on my 460 though.

Celsior

Lonewolf_92 said:
IT'S A TRAP!
Yeah, those Geckos are right bastards, but it can be worth your while to clear them out.
Yeah I ended up killing them all easy the third time when I decided to jump around.:lol
Head shotted the dude:lol :lol

Jswanko

Was just walking out of Goodsprings for the first time and then some weird music played and a pip boy popped up in the corner with "...." next to it, wtf was it?

Still no problems..Okay strike that I just hit my first freeze. I was leaving some NCR camp(the one way to the southwest with the two giant statues)
I'm on the 360 and not connected to XBL. Had to reset the console but I was able to reload my autosave just fine. Course I'm still saving every 10 to 15 minutes..even though now I gotta worry about the possibility of corrupt saves..ughghghgh

Other than that it's been playable. I made a new friend as well. She's a
former Brotherhood member
and a bit of a knobhead but like me she enjoys punches things so she's sticking around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I fucking love that I found a dude who has a repair skill of 100 within like 2 hours. Shit be so worth it. Oh yeah and he doesn't move around like an asshole merchant.

Just started.

Damn the opening movie put me in the mood for some epic gameplay. I just love how it sets everything up. I think I'm going to like this a lot more than FO3 (which I did enjoy a lot). I just have a feeling like Alpha Protocol I'm going to have to love it despite Obsidian's infamous inability to beta test correctly.

I don't have my modem plugged into the 360, I just wanted to know if any patches have appeared yet?

Animator

Can someone tell me where the broken radio tower\antenna is around goodspring? I am supposed to save this dudes gf but I couldnt find it anywhere.

HadesGigas said:
So like what are the numbers at which I should eat/sleep/drink water? The manual is no help just says you have to do this stuff or you die. And in the pip boy it's just a meter from 0 to 1000. Is it like around 250 or so?

The meters go from 0 (sated) to 1,000 (Dead via starvation/dehydration/exhaustion), and they can't be lowered below 0. You want to keep the rating as close to 0 as you can (I think there are some plateau points where it applies penalties which are marked on the meters, don't have the game up to check). Keep in mind that an item granting minus to these ratings is good, and a plus is bad (it's a measure of how badly you need that necessity). Some items are surprisingly useful, like the Coyote Chewing Tobacco, which oddly lowers your need to sleep with no side effects. Some items lower one rating while raising another, like Jalapenos (lowering food while raising water) and the cola types (lowering sleep while raising water), so keep that in mind when you're dealing with them.

Animator said:
Can someone tell me where the broken radio tower\antenna is around goodspring? I am supposed to save this dudes gf but I couldnt find it anywhere.
Just kill him, he turns on you anyway

Top Bottom