• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Animator said:
Can someone tell me what bad karma effects?

I am stealing stuff and losing karma left and right and even though there are no people in the room when I steal stuff somehow they KNOW I stole it and open fire at me.

This is retarded.
Karma affects almost nothing in game - look at the help file under Karma and see for yourself. You have to be crouching and [HIDDEN] to successfully steal things unnoticed, even if nobody is nearby. Pickpocketing is much more difficult to get away with, even if you're hidden you may get spotted.

I've picked and lockpicked Goodsprings, Primm, and Mojave Outpost clean as a bone and got quite a lot of loot out of it.

Ledsen

Is this game as piss easy as FO3 was? Even on Very Hard that game was a cakewalk, with the exception of some of the DLC. The only thing that was different was that enemies had stupidly insane amounts of health, is it still that way?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ledsen said:
Is this game as piss easy as FO3 was? Even on Very Hard that game was a cakewalk, with the exception of some of the DLC. The only thing that was different was that enemies had stupidly insane amounts of health, is it still that way?

LOL. No.

Riddler

Animator said:

I am stealing stuff and losing karma left and right and even though there are no people in the room when I steal stuff somehow they KNOW I stole it and open fire at me.

This is retarded.

Better sneak skill will keep others from knowing, but you will always gain bad karma for stealing cause...its bad.

avcables

Banned
Varna said:
Quick saves don't work. Autosaves do.

Just tested it. F5.... look at menu, it's there. Restart and the quicksave is gone. Strangely enough I rerolled and the auto save from that character is still there... I can't delete it either. Deleted it in game and it's back when I restart, deleted it from my documents and it's still there when I restart the game.

Maybe then the issue is just backwards for me. Autosaves aren't working. Every other save is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Some new mods are up.. here are a couple.

Classic Pack Durability
This small mod greatly increases the durability of the Armored Vault 13 suit and the Weathered 10mm Pistol added to the character via the Classic Pack DLC. This MOD requires the Classic Pack DLC that was available as a Gamestop Pre-order bonus. In addition the Weathered 10mm will not loose durability through use. No other changes made.

Caravan Pack Durability
This small mod greatly increases the durability of the Lightweight Leather Armor and the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun added to the character via the Caravan Pack DLC. This MOD requires the Caravan Pack DLC that was available as a Steam or Wallmart Pre-order bonus. In addition the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun will not loose durability through use. No other changes made.

Perk Every Level
For those that want more perks like how Fallout 3 did them. Will likely make the game too easy like how it did in FO3.

RS4-

Animator said:

This is retarded.

lol yeah; if you're in good standing with them, they chase after you and try to get the item back :lol

Ledsen said:
If you play on hardcore mode it's a little more difficult. You can't stay in VATS all day and you may end up having to fire manually once in a while, at least early in the game. I'm not very far into the game, though.

neoism

Zeliard said:
I'm curious if Wild Wasteland is a good thing to go with on the first playthrough. Might be better for another playthrough, if it unleashes a bunch of goofy stuff onto the game world. Still not sure what it really does.
Don't Thanks to that, a BIG scorpion just spawn right in front of the girls so-loon , and killed the guy in the cowboy hat.:lol Then it made the girl glitch and she wouldn't train me. I lost about 20 min of game play though no big deal. Just remember.... on PC, always manually save every 10 tp 15 min, and always Load your save never continue... The game is amazing so far,,, but goddamn is HC mode a pain. I'm on Easy HC, and I get 10 to 50 exp an enemy. (too much)

WanderingWind

mjemirzian said:
If you play on hardcore mode it's a little more difficult. You can't stay in VATS all day and you may end up having to fire manually once in a while, at least early in the game. I'm not very far into the game, though.

I'd say it's magnitudes more difficult. You can't just pick up every thing you see. You have to scrounge for food and clean water. Rads are deadly now. Stimpacks take time to work. You can't just wander about without getting fucked up by something. Scorpions actually poison you now.

Etc.

Lakitu

st5fu
ACE 1991 said:
I didn't really play F3 but all the NV hype has gotten me interested. Should I go back and play F3 or just jump into NV?

Fallout 3 is up there as one of my favourite games of the gen... Up to you. Chances are, after your done with it, New Vegas will go down in price anyway. Either way, you should play both, doesn't matter which order :D

Just played for about 2 hours until a crash made me quit. Goodsprings is great, really liking it so far.

But FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK the PC vats delay bug is still in.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ive done some more digging and it seems that the majority of nvidia issues are with the 400 series cards. The low frame rate comes from the card not being utilized as it should. You can tell if you have this problem by verifying that the GPU is using a very small load or is throttling down to half the normal speed. Hopefully nvidia or Obsidian get a driver or patch going soon.

Other nvidia problems like VATS locking up with 9000 series cards have been reported fixed with the latest drivers released 10/18/10.

sflufan

Banned
water_wendi said:
ive done some more digging and it seems that the majority of nvidia issues are with the 400 series cards. The low frame rate comes from the card not being utilized as it should. You can tell if you have this problem by verifying that the GPU is using a very small load or is throttling down to half the normal speed. Hopefully nvidia or Obsidian get a driver or patch going soon.

Other nvidia problems like VATS locking up with 9000 series cards have been reported fixed with the latest drivers released 10/18/10.

So for once, AMD/ATi won a round! :lol

Animator

water_wendi said:
If an item or container is red then you will need to Sneak to steal it without others knowing. If you loot when you have [HIDDEN] status you should be fine. i agree it is retarded but its how the engine handles ownership of items or whatever. Gamebryo cant go quick enough.

Oh jesus christ so because I wasnt crouching the game didnt take into account my sneak skill. facepalm*

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sflufan said:
So for once, AMD/ATi won a round! :lol
No kidding right? :lol The flashing white artifacts, the VATS problem, the low fps.. has anyone experienced these on system with an ATI card?

Animator said:
Oh jesus christ so because I wasnt crouching the game didnt take into account my sneak skill. facepalm*
Thats just how it works. Plus you have to Sneak to use your Sneak skill.

WanderingWind

Animator said:

...welcome to most WRPGs since the Infinity Engine days. You never played Morrowind, Oblivion, etc?

neoism

well bug free it a bust... Can anyone help. I was messing with the res, I had it on letterbox, and now it will not go away. :( I changed the res on options and for launch options ( /fullscreen ).... :(

Animator

WanderingWind said:
...welcome to most WRPGs since the Infinity Engine days. You never played Morrowind, Oblivion, etc?

I did play every gamebryo game but this is the first time I am playing a thief build.

RS4-

Oh yeah, how does Grim Reaper Sprint work? I've killed people while still in vats and AP didn't refill instantly or maybe it wasn't supposed to act that way. I can't recall if it filled up faster than normal or what.

WanderingWind

Animator said:
I did play every gamebryo game but this is the first time I am playing a thief build.

Well, it's not even the Gamebryo games that use the crouch to be sneaky mechanism. But, cool.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
RS4- said:
Oh yeah, how does Grim Reaper Sprint work? I've killed people while still in vats and AP didn't refill instantly or maybe it wasn't supposed to act that way. I can't recall if it filled up faster than normal or what.
In Fallout 3 it refilled your AP completely. In New Vegas it gives 20 AP for every kill.

iammeiam

Holy shit. I'm playing a 'good' character, but have just hit a side quest which I feel morally obligates me to contribute to cold-blooded murder. In
Novac, doing the "One for My Baby" quest.

Just found the Bill of Sale in the safe. "the exclusive rights to ownership and sale of the slave Carla Boone for the sum of one thousand bottle caps, and those of her unborn child for the sum of five hundred bottle caps."

SHE SOLD A FETUS INTO SLAVERY. She obviously hated the wife for being snobby, but why the fuck wouldn't she wait until after the kid was born? Bitch is gonna die.

Dennis

Banned
This game needs a High Res Texture pack, stat!

Jesus, I can't believe how bad the textures are. Coming from modded F3, this is like radioactive salt in my eyes.

epmode

Well, I just installed the game. Framerate seems comparable to Fallout 3 but it has a nasty habit of dropping to single digits when I turn sharply. Guess I'll hope for a driver fix or patch or something. Nvidia 9800 GTX, latest WHQL drivers.

By the way, are we given a final chance at character customization before heading out? You know, similar to how Fallout 3 let us change anything about our character right before leaving the vault.

iammeiam

epmode said:
By the way, are we given a final chance at character customization before heading out? You know, similar to how Fallout 3 let us change anything about our character right before leaving the vault.

Yep, there's a "do you wanna respec" prompt, same as FO3

ckohler

Edit: Never mind. Had some admins come in and warn me to shut my stream down. Apparently, they are still cracking down on people streaming. Sorry.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah!
I found some Brass Knuckles and suddenly my punches went from 1,000 hits to 1 hit to kill.

Good times.
I was watching a stream over the weekend where the streamer found spiked knuckles. He was killing fools with 2 to 3 punches. He landed a crit one guy and knocked their head clean off in one blow. It was absurd. :lol

Of course, he soon met his match, bullets. Out in the Wasteland he couldn't get close enough to enemies before they gunned him.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm sure this must have been covered somewhere, but this thread is going too fast. Why do I still need to have the disc in my system if it's installed on Steam?

Vampire Baseball said:
Damn, all three of my save files are corrupt (Xbox 360 version). Fuck Obsidian. I lost about 2 hours of gameplay. :(
Whoa... that is not cool. What were you using to save to? Memory stick, internal flash memory, external HDD?

So like what are the numbers at which I should eat/sleep/drink water? The manual is no help just says you have to do this stuff or you die. And in the pip boy it's just a meter from 0 to 1000. Is it like around 250 or so?

DennisK4 said:
This game needs a High Res Texture pack, stat!

Jesus, I can't believe how bad the textures are. Coming from modded F3, this is like radioactive salt in my eyes.

I came from a meticulously modded out Oblivion and I feel the same way.

Top Bottom