• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

iammeiam

water_wendi said:
i know its not what you want to hear since its said so often with Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 but have you tried clearing your cache?

edit: in Fallout 3 to clear the cache you held LB, RB and X as soon as you start the game until Press Start appears.

Not yet; since it's not game-impacting, and only happens in the one location, I haven't quit out of the game and reloaded yet. Saving like crazy, though, so.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
iammeiam said:
Not yet; since it's not game-impacting, and only happens in the one location, I haven't quit out of the game and reloaded yet. Saving like crazy, though, so.
If i was playing these games on console i would clear the cache every session.

kai3345

Banned
So for hardcore mode, is it like a meter that says SLEEP: 300 FOOD: 300 WATER: 300 and if one of those reaches zero you die?

avcables said:
By the way, what the fuck were they thinking with Caravan? It's an overly complicated piece of shit.
When I couldn't understand it I just said "Fuck this" and blew the dude's head off and took his caps

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kai3345 said:
So for hardcore mode, is it like a meter that says SLEEP: 300 FOOD: 300 WATER: 300 and if one of those reaches zero you die?
i think thats it but when it reaches 1000 you die. 0 is sated, 1000 is dead.

_tetsuo_ said:
O lord even when i drop it down to medium settings goodsprings still barely manages 30fps :lol

Yeah, they just didn't optimize it well. Visually it's the same game as FO3, which I get a constant 60 fps out of even during larger battles.

avcables

Banned
kai3345 said:

No, it counts up like the rest of the counters. It starts at 0 and ends at 1000. Each 250 increment is another "level" of dehydration/hunger/sleep deprivation or whatever. When you reach 1000 it will kill you, apparently.

By the way, sleeping will lower your sleep deprivation amount but will shoot the other two up. Don't make the mistake of sleeping too much. :lol

Sanic

Voice acting is greatly improved, something I was not at all expecting. Writing is as well, though not to as great an extent.

avcables

Banned
By the way, if anyone wants the link, I have a .XPS of a Fallout: New Vegas strategy guide.

If they sold this sort of thing, it'd be a crime.

PM me for it.

Coxswain

I haven't really been following the game at all (and won't even have a chance to think about buying it for another couple of weeks given my current schedule), so this might be a dumb question, but for the people who've been playing it for a while, on the RPG/shooter scale of 'how obnoxiously does the concept of HP map to real aiming and shooting'? In other words, how long do you have to spend shooting an average-to-tough enemy before they die?

Like, if say, Alpha Protocol (where a single headshot = dead guy) is a 1, and Mass Effect 1/Fallout 3 (hold left mouse button, go make a sandwich) are a 10?

tokkun

kai3345 said:
Kinda sucks that food and water still heal over time even in non Hardcore mode.

Food heals much higher amounts than in Fallout 3, even if it is over time. Food was pretty much useless in F3.

Coxswain said:
I haven't really been following the game at all (and won't even have a chance to think about buying it for another couple of weeks given my current schedule), so this might be a dumb question, but for the people who've been playing it for a while, on the RPG/shooter scale of 'how obnoxiously does the concept of HP map to real aiming and shooting'? In other words, how long do you have to spend shooting an average-to-tough enemy before they die?

Like, if say, Alpha Protocol (where a single headshot = dead guy) is a 1, and Mass Effect 1/Fallout 3 (hold left mouse button, go make a sandwich) are a 10?

It does not seem significantly different from Fallout 3.

avcables

Banned
tokkun said:
Food heals much higher amounts than in Fallout 3, even if it is over time. Food was pretty much useless in F3.

This is truth. The Sunrise Sarsaparilla, for example, is amazing early on.

Flib

Game is great (love the music and vibe compared to Fallout 3), but this Nvidia stuttering thing is driving me crazy. Smooth 60fps on ultra until any person comes into frame, and then it's a stuttery mess. Bizarre.

kai3345

Banned
samus4ever said:
I don't know. Should I restart the game :lol
Idk, there's got to be some other way to complete the quest.

Either way, it's not a main quest (at least I don't think it is) so I would just move on.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Coxswain said:
Think it depends on several different things. The weapon you are using.. what state of repair it is in.. how much skill you have using that type of weapon.. and what kind of ammo you have equipped. On the enemy side there are things like armor and what not to take into effect.

So.. you could get a sneak attack headshot and totally Gallagher their melon. With the same character you might run into an enemy that has something like power armor or another high DR armor equipped and do very little damage with a .22 rifle.

In summation.. i forgot what you were asking.

edit:
hyduK said:
I'm getting some horrible input lag on the PC version, the mouse just feels off...anyone else been having issues?
Try this Mouse Acceleration Fix. Requires you to make changes to an .ini file. Make sure when you do the changes the file isnt Read-Only.

Sanic

Why did they modify the 3rd person camera?

You can no longer choose how far it's zoomed into your character, and by default it's too far in for my liking :/

Yes, I use the 3rd person camera. Only when exploring

avcables

Banned
Pandoracell said:

You can no longer choose how far it's zoomed into your character, and by default it's too far in for my liking :/

Yes, I use the 3rd person camera. Only when exploring

It still works this way on the PC for me.

tokkun

I have a question about Primm.

When you go into the building that contains the Primm robot and some named people, are they supposed to be friendly to you? Because I accidentally went in wearing a Powder Gang costume, and I think I might have accidentally aggro'd them. I left immediately and tried going back in without the costume on, but they were still attacking me.

kai3345

Banned
tokkun said:

When you go into the building that contains the Primm robot and some named people, are they supposed to be friendly to you? Because I accidentally went in wearing a Powder Gang costume, and I think I might have accidentally aggro'd them.
I've got a sort of related question.

If you attack someone disguised as a faction member, but then come back, say, a week later with regular clothes, will they still be hostile?

iammeiam

tokkun said:

When you go into the building that contains the Primm robot and some named people, are they supposed to be friendly to you? Because I accidentally went in wearing a Powder Gang costume, and I think I might have accidentally aggro'd them. I left immediately and tried going back in without the costume on, but they were still attacking me.

They're friendlies; townsfolk held captive by the Powder Gang. One of them, in fact, is a main questline character, so... I'd suggest not offing them.

And as I understand the faction clothes mechanic, once you aggro them they stay aggro'd. I initially did the same thing, and loaded an older save to avoid pissing them off, so I didn't try to test out a cool-down period.

and, edit:

Pandoracell said:

I can on 360? Hold down LB, then right thumbstick to move camera around. I can get anywhere from a below-the-knees perspective, to one where I can just see my character's right shoulder and arm.

FOOTE

It's fucking amazing that the day this comes out, I finally get my steam to work after like four months of downtime. Already bought (and opened) this for 360 and I wanted it for PC. Whatever, more achievement chasing I suppose.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Reading the OP right now was pretty much my first info on the game since the teaser trailer came out and I'm really glad I've been not following this game much. Nice to be completely surprised right around a games release rather than riding the hype train the whole way.

Game sounds like a cross of what I loved about Fallout 3 and Stalker and the original Fallouts. I hadn't heard of hardcore mode at all until now and that sounds like my exact kind of game that I like to play.

Gonna see if I can grab it right now, actually.

Also, may I take this post to say that the game I want more than anything is Elder Scrolls V with a brand new engine? With some form of hardcore mode, please.

hardcode mode is awesome, it makes you play tactically instead of just shooting enemies in the face, you need to take cover, it GREATLY increases the value of stealth/sneak attacks

be sure to get the survival skill up nicely and then COOK YOUR MEATS, gecko meat is awesome and only needs a skill of 25 I think, I have a stack of 32 steaks of meat on my character right now :lol

I love the geckos in this game, so funny their legs when they run. and so delicious.

tokkun

iammeiam said:
They're friendlies; townsfolk held captive by the Powder Gang. One of them, in fact, is a main questline character, so... I'd suggest not offing them.

And as I understand the faction clothes mechanic, once you aggro them they stay aggro'd. I initially did the same thing, and loaded an older save to avoid pissing them off, so I didn't try to test out a cool-down period.

Damn, I guess I'll have to reload a save from an hour earlier :/

did anyone get the gamestop preorder canteena? is it reusable? I keep getting a prompt to use it, but I dont bother as its easy at the start of the game to get rad free water sources

Sanic

iammeiam said:
I can on 360? Hold down LB, then right thumbstick to move camera around. I can get anywhere from a below-the-knees perspective, to one where I can just see my character's right shoulder and arm.
It will only stay zoomed out if you hold in LB, and you can't turn your character. So it doesn't really work as it did in F3.

they did a nice job of the collector edition some great artwork. only issue is NO INDEX! fail, like the original FO3 guide (vs the GOTY one). otherwise full of useful stuff.

Swag

cleveridea said:
did anyone get the gamestop preorder canteena? is it reusable? I keep getting a prompt to use it, but I dont bother as its easy at the start of the game to get rad free water sources

Oh shit I didn't think I was supposed to use it when I saw that prompt, thought my dude was just taking swigs on his own :lol

Also thanks for the light tip! Made the part I was stuck at so much easier

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
iammeiam said:

What a weird distinction. Shoot someone in the face, put away your gun and its all good. Wear the wrong colors by mistake (or it offers more armor!) Community: OH HELLS NAW.

kai3345

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
What a weird distinction. Shoot someone in the face, put away your gun and its all good. Wear the wrong colors by mistake (or it offers more armor!) Community: OH HELLS NAW.
The shooting in face then put gun away thing only works for companions IIRC

kamspy said:
Performance sucks. Game is awesome.

That was my biggest problem with FO3, ironically. Like, if the game wasn't SO FUCKING AWESOME, the problems wouldn't bother me as much. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

I guess I'll deal, but this is some serious fucking bullshit. It's really too much to ask for a game that runs competently? And it's almost 2011? Fourth year of the gen? People seeing bugs and freezes 20 minutes after popping the game in?

/rant but come the fuck on.

Oh my buddy got killed! =(
No wait..she just fell asleep for a bit. Nice. Allies are suddenly a million times more useful than any previous Fallout.

Also I killed a Super Mutant and his dying words were "Stupid!" Oh man my favorite thing from Morrowind.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh my buddy got killed! =(
No wait..she just fell asleep for a bit. Nice. Allies are suddenly a million times more useful than any previous Fallout.

As long as you arent playing on hardcore mode

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NEOPARADIGM said:
That was my biggest problem with FO3, ironically. Like, if the game wasn't SO FUCKING AWESOME, the problems wouldn't bother me as much. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

I guess I'll deal, but this is some serious fucking bullshit. It's really too much to ask for a game that runs competently? And it's almost 2011? Fourth year of the gen? People seeing bugs and freezes 20 minutes after popping the game in?

/rant but come the fuck on.

Bugs are only gonna get worse as games (especially in genres like sandbox and open world rpgs) get more complex. Something has to dial back.

performance is really weird i was running around inside doc mitchells house with fraps on and id go from over 100 fps to 20 for no reason in certain "spots" they didnt even have to be intensive with like lighting or anything...

Top Bottom