• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

avcables

Banned
Varna said:
You've had your first pretty big battle yet? My game ran incredibly well and then I got to my first big fight. Went from 60 to 10 for no reason.

Same rig as you except no sli.
I'm running an E8400 with a single 1GB GTX 460, 4GB DDR2 and I get 60+FPS standard throughout the wasteland but the NPCs are killing it. It's impossible for me to fight unless I use VATS all the time.

Zaptruder

Banned
They should make a super hardcore mode with a detailed journal/events tracker.

Mix of Diablo 2 HC, Dead Rising 1 save system and Fallout New vegas needs system.

Would be terrifying and awesome at the same time.

Varna

avcables said:
I'm running an E8400 with a single 1GB GTX 460, 4GB DDR2 and I get 60+FPS standard throughout the wasteland but the NPCs are killing it. It's impossible for me to fight unless I use VATS all the time.

Haha. I did notice this too. During a fight my game was running at 10 or so FPS. Soon as I hit the VATS button it hit 60.

They need to get this shit sorted out.

Dalauz

There is some hidden quest right at the beginning about getting back some girl... nice ending :lol and
red balls (!) it was so damn bizarre

avcables said:
yeah, same here. Single digit FPS in some battles. Like some kind of buggy leak

avcables said:

Similar, but with a much lowered powered rig, was running fine until groups of NPCs started showing up. The battle in goodsprings brought me from 40ish down to 5. Add on top that high resolutions with AA or AF cause the vats bug, and that many resolutions crop improperly, games totally fucked. I want to have a phone number I can call to yell at someone about this.

Maaseru

Banned
Si iwas palying And killed some dude and it said Failed I fought the LAw. Anyone know how the mission is activated? I rescued the dude too be sheriff, but because I'm vilified by the powder gang I get shot at everytime. Even with their clothes? Anyone know if I can still do this?

avcables

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Similar, but with a much lowered powered rig, was running fine until groups of NPCs started showing up. The battle in goodsprings brought me from 40ish down to 5. Add on top that high resolutions with AA or AF cause the vats bug, and that many resolutions crop improperly, games totally fucked. I want to have a phone number I can call to yell at someone about this.
Yea. I'll research more tomorrow. I'm too frustrated now. :/ Everything about NV thus far is awesome, just can't fight the way I want to.

Bebpo

Banned
Why do you move so fast indoors (sometimes it's like hyperspeed FF movement) and so slow outdoors? I haaaaate moving outdoors. It feels like I'm walking even at the run speed. This is giving me flashbacks to F3 which was so slow until I used motorcycle mods to drive around outdoors.

Love F1/F2, hate F3. First impressions are not very impressed.

avcables said:
Yea. I'll research more tomorrow. I'm too frustrated now. :/ Everything about NV thus far is awesome, just can't fight the way I want to.

I can't anything the way I want to. Either I have to be playing at resolutions equivalent to 1024x768 in order for hangup bugs to dissapear, or the game crashes TWICE whenever I try and leave Good Springs, or people skyrocket into the sky for no reason, or the game slows to a crawl whenever more than 4 or 5 people are doing anything. There should be a way to get a refund for this kind of sham.

dwebo

Goddamn, hadn't even played more than ten minutes (
just finished killing the two geckos by the well
) and the game hard crashes my ps3. ARGH

avcables

Banned
Bebpo said:
Why do you move so fast indoors (sometimes it's like hyperspeed FF movement) and so slow outdoors? I haaaaate moving outdoors. It feels like I'm walking even at the run speed. This is giving me flashbacks to F3 which was so slow until I used motorcycle mods to drive around outdoors.

Love F1/F2, hate F3. First impressions are not very impressed.
Don't know if you tried the "ifpsclamp" value but that seemed to directly affect the correlation between FPS and actual speed the game ran at. If you make sure it's set to 60, you won't have that as bad, but you'll have stuttering. If it's 0, you'll get that craziness indoors but no stuttering.

I'm thinking that 40 value sounds like it might be a solid trade-off.

If you haven't edited anything, then I'm not sure. But I did have the occasional craziness indoors even before I altered my .ini's.

avcables

Banned
Snapshot King said:
I can't anything the way I want to. Either I have to be playing at resolutions equivalent to 1024x768 in order for hangup bugs to dissapear, or the game crashes TWICE whenever I try and leave Good Springs, or people skyrocket into the sky for no reason, or the game slows to a crawl whenever more than 4 or 5 people are doing anything. There should be a way to get a refund for this kind of sham.
I'd be surprised if all this backlash doesn't spur heavy work on a patch by the end of the week. I'm not playing it until there is. I can't forfeit my enjoyment of this title because whenever I try to shoot an NPC I get 10FPS...not happening. :(

Bebpo

Banned
avcables said:
Don't know if you tried the "ifpsclamp" value but that seemed to directly affect the correlation between FPS and actual speed the game ran at. If you make sure it's set to 60, you won't have that as bad, but you'll have stuttering. If it's 0, you'll get that craziness indoors but no stuttering.

I'm thinking that 40 value sounds like it might be a solid trade-off.

If you haven't edited anything, then I'm not sure. But I did have the occasional craziness indoors even before I altered my .ini's.

Hmm, will try this. It definitely feels like I'm moving way slower than I should be outdoors.

Performance is also all over the place outdoors on my rig.

Fredescu

Snuggler said:
I just killed a guy for his glasses.
jHhb3.gif

avcables said:
I'd be surprised if all this backlash doesn't spur heavy work on a patch by the end of the week. I'm not playing it until there is. I can't forfeit my enjoyment of this title because whenever I try to shoot an NPC I get 10FPS...not happening. :(

Obsidian never gave more than token support to any of their prior releases. Ideally bethesda would push them to fix it, but Bethesda isn't that great about this sort of thing either.

Not quite the right thread to be asking this, but I'm about to play Fallout 3 for the first time. Is it best to play through the game vanilla, or to mod it out right from the get go?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Is the optional install supposed to help crashing or stuttering issues by any chance?

Sorry If this has been asked before, tough to read through big threads on an iPhone.

Tough not to get really frustrated with a game that runs worse than it's predecessor but looks identical.

Fredescu said:
Post release support has to be funded. NWN2 had plenty of support.

Figures that'd come back to prove me wrong, it's the only one of their games I never played. Always just figured it turned out like all the fallouts and Kotor2.

avcables

Banned
I apologize for any double posts ahead of time, just trying to get this information in here:

This was the possible NPC fix:

In the console, type the following:
ToggleEmotions

In the .ini file change the following
"iFPSClamp=0" to "iFPSClamp=40"

In the .ini file change the following:
"bUseFaceGenHeads=1" to "bUseFaceGenHeads=0"
This solution will cut off everyone's head.

I know the second one sounds extreme and a complete last resort, but anyone willing to give it a shot? A success would mean that faces are effectively shooting down FPS.

EDIT: From what I've read, emotions seem to play a large part in the frame drops. Turning them off drastically reduces frameloss.

I'm too upset to try this myself. Anyone else sitting in front of NV wanna give it a go, let us know!

I've just a little bit into the game. I got to nipton.

this game is wayyyy better than fallout 3. Obsidian's writers should really be commended. This is a really good story so far. The dialogue is really well written. the atmosphere is far better than Fallout 3. The RPG mechanics, on hardcore, are amazingly not tedious, but yet not full of irrelevant stats either.

This is by far the most buggy game i've played, but it's also one of the best RPGs ever created. I don't know how to take this. This could have been the best WRPG of this gen.

avcables

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
I have a 3 month old rig. However I also have a 360. PC seems like obvious choice, FPS bug aside. Any recommendation either way?
Seeing as things have more potential to be fixed on PC in a timely manner, go with that.

Not to mention the mods that are coming (some of which are already here) make the platform the absolute right choice.

avcables said:
Seeing as things have more potential to be fixed on PC in a timely manner, go with that.

Not to mention the mods that are coming (some of which are already here) make the platform the absolute right choice.

Thank you. Damn I decent sized steam backlog already. On the other hand, I really need something new cause I don't feel like playing them atm. :lol :lol (All $6 or less steam deal games)

avcables said:
I apologize for any double posts ahead of time, just trying to get this information in here:

This was the possible NPC fix:

I know the second one sounds extreme and a complete last resort, but anyone willing to give it a shot? A success would mean that faces are effectively shooting down FPS.

EDIT: From what I've read, emotions seem to play a large part in the frame drops. Turning them off drastically reduces frameloss.

I'm too upset to try this myself. Anyone else sitting in front of NV wanna give it a go, let us know!

That stuff certainly helps, but the ini resets itself every single time.

Alright just bought it from steam. Damn you GAF!

Now that I own my 360 and a PC I think my stance will be as follows.

Heavy multiplayer component = 360

Mostly SP = PC

Hylian7

So I have an interesting little story that just happened to me. I'll spoiler tag this if you don't want the area involved's features spoiled. You're good if you've been around Black Mountain.

I just got to the foot of Black Mountain and was warned by that Super Mutant what was up there. It was nighttime, and after he talked to me, I noticed I could see lights from the Strip were pretty close, so I headed for that. Well I'm walking along, and suddenly BAM, GROWL! There's a Deathclaw right behind me! I head for a nearby trailer, and for some reason, the Deathclaw won't go in there, so instead he goes around the back and just pointlessly claws at the other side of the trailer. Then a few seconds later, I took this screenshot, notice the radar blips. Then a few seconds after that, there was a 4th blip! I was wondering how the hell I was going to get out of this one! Well I decided to try something ridiculous, hit the T key and see if it would let me wait. It did! I waited for 7 hours, and then the Deathclaws were gone! I quick traveled to Goodsprings, where I was safe and sound. I should also mention that this was hardcore mode the whole time.

Here's a link to the screenshot I referred to: http://i54.tinypic.com/11wdpwz.png

Obsidian... really?

After firing it up late last night, I encounter the sound bug. No biggie: I updated my drivers and the problem went away.

Today after playing for about 1.5 hours my game freezes at the Mojave Outpost. No biggie: I 've been quicksaving in addition to the autosaves. I restart and bam! the game reloads to my very first quicksave, about 5 minutes into the game.

Are you freaking kidding me.

Shinjitsu

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
Obsidian... really?

After firing it up late last night, I encounter the sound bug. No biggie: I updated my drivers and the problem went away.

Today after playing for about 1.5 hours my game freezes at the Mojave Outpost. No biggie: I 've been quicksaving in addition to the autosaves. I restart and bam! the game reloads to my very first quicksave, about 5 minutes into the game.

That's not an Obsidian issue, it's an issue with steamcloud. (Steam disabled steamcould support for it because of that very thing that happened to you tell they can figure out what's going on)

For fuck sakes people, not every single issue you have on your PC is related to Obsidian.:lol

bonesmccoy said:
Obsidian... really?

You think that's bad, I can't manage to actually delete that quicksave. It won't go away.

Brinbe

Just stopped playing the 360 version a few mins ago thanks to another random crash. Up till then I had been going almost playing non-stop (took a 30 min break for dinner :lol) since 5 PM or so.

Playing on Normal/Hardcore with a focus on intelligence/agility/charisma and things haven't been too difficult. Right now, only @ level 6 & I'm just cranking up that lockpick/science after every level-up, so I don't have to bypass all those locked doors/computers. Progression-wise, just made it past the Primm and getting into the NCR outpost/Nipton stuff, so really, not too far into yet.

Anyway, after one night of play, safe to say shit's brilliant, everything I'd hoped it would be since it was announced... But also gotta concede that it's f'n bugged to hell. Thankfully, I'm pretty persistent about constantly saving so I'm not losing too much progress, and I'm patient enough to see past the obvious faults so I can enjoy this wonderful experience.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So I would give Ed-E some stuff to hold but giving him armor causes him to put on the armor. So ok everytime I would give him a Powder Gang armor to hold on to he would drop it since it can't wear faction armor. Ok. I go to Primm and the townspeople start attacking Ed-E I'm guessing because he's somehow marked as wearing the Powder Gang armor even though he's not actually wearing it. Ok. So I reload the game try to exit out of the building before they get aggro'ed and the game crashes. SMH.

Dresden

Played for about an hour and a half, Explosive/Lockpick/Speech. Explosive is a lot of fun--with Heave Ho, I can VATS anyone that's charging at me and the dynamite lands right at their feet. :lol BOOM.

MirageDwarf said:
Jesus, so many bugs and crashes. How the hell this passed certification process? This is excitement-killer.

Not to pile on - the negativity in this thread is ample enough already - but the first thing that came to mind for me was, because they can't do shit about it. Just like they never fixed what was wrong with the PS3 version of FO3 GOTY, I'm growing concerned this game will be shit (performance-wise) for the duration of its existence. Miracle patch not forthcoming. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, first hard lock up on the 360. I think this game basically requires you to reset the system every few hours or something, just to make sure it runs well.

Nose Master

I feel like I'm skipping a lot of shit. I don't really have much for quests, though. I'm only Level 4, and I'm already in Nipton.
I went back and did the Gangers quest in the original town and killed everything in one shot, compared to the 10+ it took for the Raiders in Primm. :lol

Also, Victor is a creepy bastard:
I ran into a bunch of Radscorpions and was getting ganked, and was basically going to die. He pops up out of nowhere and rocks them. "Dude, the hell?" "JUST PASSIN THROUGH PARDNER" "..."

firehawk12 said:
Wow, first hard lock up on the 360. I think this game basically requires you to reset the system every few hours or something, just to make sure it runs well.

Played for six hours straight on 360 tonight and not a single bug. Even that 1FPS drop that I posted earlier never happened after my initial exploration of Goodsprings.

Coxswain said:
I haven't really been following the game at all (and won't even have a chance to think about buying it for another couple of weeks given my current schedule), so this might be a dumb question, but for the people who've been playing it for a while, on the RPG/shooter scale of 'how obnoxiously does the concept of HP map to real aiming and shooting'? In other words, how long do you have to spend shooting an average-to-tough enemy before they die?

Like, if say, Alpha Protocol (where a single headshot = dead guy) is a 1, and Mass Effect 1/Fallout 3 (hold left mouse button, go make a sandwich) are a 10?

Let me put it this way: Fuck that pack of Frag Grenade chewing Radscorpions
at Nipton Road Reststop
! I've blown through my collection of 11 Frag Grenades fighting those three bastards, and I think I've killed myself more than one of them. Don't even get me started with the lack of success I've had with Guns (one of my tagged and maxed out skills).

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
firehawk12 said:

This is true. The longer your play session is the longer the load times will become. This has at least been the case for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Will the game tell me when I've killed a character that was required for a quest? It's a dog eat dog world and I had to waste a few fuckers for supplies, hopefully it won't screw up any missions.

Top Bottom