• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hank The Tank said:
This is true. The longer your play session is the longer the load times will become. This has at least been the case for me.

disappeared said:
Played for six hours straight on 360 tonight and not a single bug. Even that 1FPS drop that I posted earlier never happened after my initial exploration of Goodsprings.

Hah, man. I guess it's just one of those funny things.

Max

I am not Max
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2

This made my game run so much smoother.

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890

Animator

Lonewolf_92 said:
Let me put it this way: Fuck that pack of Frag Grenade chewing Radscorpions
at Nipton Road Reststop
! I've blown through my collection of 11 Frag Grenades fighting those three bastards, and I think I've killed myself more than one of them. Don't even get me started with the lack of success I've had with Guns (one of my tagged and maxed out skills).

It just took me 10 mines + 6 frag grenades and around 40 slugs to kill one giant scorpion with ed-e firing at it non stop as well. Then I turned around and saw 3 more charging down the hill towards me and just quit the game.

Zeliard

Max said:
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890

I have a Q6600 and this effectively added 10+ FPS when outdoors. Fucking awesome, thanks for the heads up. I also turned water refractions and reflections back on. Seems the culprit for the stuttering is water multisampling. When I put that to medium or higher, I get a lot of stuttering outside.

You guys are really not supposed to be picking fights with Giant Scorpions so early in the game.
They're basically there to say "Don't fucking go this way!"

If you follow the story you'll be led through some piss-easy mobs to cut through.

Animator

PepsimanVsJoe said:
You guys are really not supposed to be picking fights with Giant Scorpions so early in the game.

If you follow the story you'll be led through some piss-easy mobs to cut through.

I am exploring every nook and cranny. I have played for 8 hours and just made it to nipton.

Pooya

Somebody should gather all of these PC specific fixes in one post for some of us who don't have the game yet (like myself :|) so we can all use it, it's hard to keep up with all of these. thanks.

duckroll

miladesn said:
Somebody should gather all of these PC specific fixes in one post for some of us who don't have the game yet (like myself :|) so we can all use it, it's hard to keep up with all of these. thanks.

I agree. I will either have the game by this weekend, or sometime next week. It'll be handy to know what we have to do for the game not to self-implode on us. Thanks.

Wallach

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Basically. Especially if you don't have any decent weaponry that also has AP ammo. They have fuckloads of armor so you really want a way to pierce DT if you're going to mess with them early on. It is a total waste to use non-AP ammo on them with early game weapons.

BeeDog

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already (the topic is gigantic :D), but how is the game balanced this time around? Is it set levels (e.g. monsters don't level scale à la the Gothic games), or is it just like in Fallout 3 (where low-level monsters become replaced by tougher enemies)?

Tokubetsu

duckroll said:
I agree. I will either have the game by this weekend, or sometime next week. It'll be handy to know what we have to do for the game not to self-implode on us. Thanks.

What else did we miss? I just grabbed the quad core fix :lol

dwebo

Damnit, Victor! I ask you to
help out with the powder gang and you're MIA! (Is that a glitch?) And then Ringo dies :(

Haven't had another PS3 crash since the first one (knock on wood). A few npcs hung up on weird animations against geometry, but that was to be expected. Game looks pretty good too - there are jaggies, but at least no screen tearing!

Gravijah

dwebo said:
Damnit, Victor! I ask you to
help out with the powder gang and you're MIA! (Is that a glitch?) And then Ringo dies :(

Haven't had another PS3 crash since the first one (knock on wood). A few npcs hung up on weird animations against geometry, but that was to be expected. Game looks pretty good too - there are jaggies, but at least no screen tearing!

Oooh you got PS3 version? Lots of impressions please.

dwebo

Gravijah said:
Oooh you got PS3 version? Lots of impressions please.
Well, I've only played about an hour or two - that includes remaking my character after the game crashed the console ten minutes in. I don't know - didn't play Fallout 3 on PS3 so I don't really have anything to compare it to :lol

That being said, it's perfectly playable. (assuming it doesn't crash again and/or corrupt my save files)

edit: it also runs better than F3 did on my laptop, so I can't complain

Gravijah

dwebo said:
Well, I've only played about an hour or two - that includes remaking my character after the game crashed the console ten minutes in. I don't know - didn't play Fallout 3 on PS3 so I don't really have anything to compare it to :lol

That being said, it's perfectly playable. (assuming it doesn't crash again and/or corrupt my save files)

i am cautiously happy

J4W3f.png

Lakitu

st5fu
firehawk12 said:
Wow, first hard lock up on the 360. I think this game basically requires you to reset the system every few hours or something, just to make sure it runs well.

Wow. Please patch this shit Bethesda.

Max

I am not Max
miladesn said:
Word.
fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini found in documents>my games>falloutnv folder

Increase FPS on multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 (or 4 for quad)

Remove Mouse Acceration:

In falloutprefs.ini add this under [controls]:
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0

Change the Field of View:

In fallout.ini
Ctrl+F "fov" and change that shit to 90.
OP?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Notes on my first play session:

I'm so much more engaged by the writing, characters, quests and overall story of this game than tfallout 3. The writing is really exceptional, why isn't there more writing of this caliber?

I haven't had any more crashes since doing the optional install 2 hours ago. Take that for what it's worth but it can't hurt to do it if you have the space.

The graphics were passable when fallout 3 came out and here they are downright dated. That said there are some neat details in the world that shows the time tried to get as much mileage as they could out of the dying vehicle.

Still got that thousand yard fuckin stare, still as ridiculous as ever. One of the myriad of things I hope bethesdas next engine does away with.

Hardcore mode plus hard difficulty seems to produce a great gameplay balance for me. I find myself actually considering what is worth taking and weighing out all my options more than I ever did in fallout 3.

So obsidian maintains their reputation of being solid to great story tellers but pretty abysmal in the bug/ playtested / stability department. Overall I'm definitely hooked and will see this game to the end.

Gravijah

Kodiak said:
Notes on my first play session:

I'm so much more engaged by the writing, characters, quests and overall story of this game than tfallout 3. The writing is really exceptional, why isn't there more writing of this caliber?

I haven't had any more crashes since doing the optional install 2 hours ago. Take that for what it's worth but it can't hurt to do it if you have the space.

The graphics were passable when fallout 3 came out and here they are downright dated. That said there are some neat details in the world that shows the time tried to get as much mileage as they could out of the dying vehicle.

Still got that thousand yard fuckin stare, still as ridiculous as ever. One of the myriad of things I hope bethesdas next engine does away with.

Hardcore mode plus hard difficulty seems to produce a great gameplay balance for me. I find myself actually considering what is worth taking and weighing out all my options more than I ever did in fallout 3.

So obsidian maintains their reputation of being solid to great story tellers but pretty abysmal in the bug/ playtested / stability department. Overall I'm definitely hooked and will see this game to the end.

Optional install, huh? What version?

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm about 6 hours into the game now. Had maybe one small framerate hiccup and got stuck in the ground once but other than that, not a single glitch. I've only done a couple of the main quests and spent the rest of the time exploring. :D

x3sphere

Kodiak said:

If Bethesda is smart, they'll use id tech 5 rather than develop another engine exclusively for Fallout/Elder Scrolls.

Max said:
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890
thanks!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Played about 3-4 hours on 360, had no issues. Weird how the severity of bugs is differing so much person to person.

Zeliard

PC version, and I've only seen one thing in the way of nuttiness during my playing time, which was an NPC enemy shooting me while she was facing in the opposite direction. That's pretty much it so far, though. No crashes or corrupt saves or anything of the sort (knock on wood). Game's running smoothly now as well after the config fixes.

dwebo

Er, so I'm right outside of Primm. Where the hell is
Lt. Hayes? The guard said he was in a tent down the road, but there's no tent down the road!

edit: Damnit, nevermind, found the guy :lol

Dresden

Cleared out Primm:

I had no idea the deputy was in the kitchen, so when I lured all the baddies in and detonated three frag mines+dynamites in it, he almost got killed. :lol Also, on Hard, the leader STILL survived that and needed another dynamite tossed at him in VATS to finish him off. Was able to talk to the deputy despite him being hostile. Loving it.

Ledsen

Shinjitsu said:
That's not an Obsidian issue, it's an issue with steamcloud. (Steam disabled steamcould support for it because of that very thing that happened to you tell they can figure out what's going on)

For fuck sakes people, not every single issue you have on your PC is related to Obsidian.:lol

Er I think it's pretty natural to assume that your saves disappearing in an Obsidian game is Obsidians fault.

Max said:
Word.

OP?

You forgot to include that picture with the the water settings.

Spookie

Animator said:
It just took me 10 mines + 6 frag grenades and around 40 slugs to kill one giant scorpion with ed-e firing at it non stop as well. Then I turned around and saw 3 more charging down the hill towards me and just quit the game.

:D

I wait till you meet the deathclaws. They two shot me and take like 5-6 rounds from a 50 cal rifle. :lol

Nose Master

Dresden said:
Cleared out Primm:

I had no idea the deputy was in the kitchen, so when I lured all the baddies in and detonated three frag mines+dynamites in it, he almost got killed. :lol Also, on Hard, the leader STILL survived that and needed another dynamite tossed at him in VATS to finish him off. Was able to talk to the deputy despite him being hostile. Loving it.

Is there an actual leader in there? Like, with dialogue? I recruited the Deputy to help me kill him, and the Deputy died. I got the note off him I needed. I also cleared out every baddie in there to my knowledge, but.

Geoff9920

Max said:
Word.
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 (4 for Quad)

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890
OP?
Wow, that made a big difference. Thanks!

I tried really hard to get into Fallout 3 but I always lost interest after about 2-3 hours. Don't know what it was about the game but it just didnt immerse me in the universe enough to keep me interested.

I love RPGs so although its predecessor didn't do much for me I'm willing to give this a go. Never know, a few tweaks might be all it takes to make it enjoyable for me.

Do those who have played the game think that its sufficiently to Fallout 3 that its worth me trying it?

Nose Master

One For My Baby:
Is there a way to find out for sure? I just had the shopkeep murdered cause it was the first prompt I got. :lol No one else in town seemed to know shit. He wasn't havin my "I'UNNO, WAS A HUNCH"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nose Master said:
One For My Baby:
Is there a way to find out for sure? I just had the shopkeep murdered cause it was the first prompt I got. :lol No one else in town seemed to know shit. He wasn't havin my "I'UNNO, WAS A HUNCH"

Yeah, there is. You have to basically talk to someone who will guide you to where you find proof. I think this was one of the first "ambiguous" quests I did in the game.

You know, I noticed that they added queer options for the Level 2 gendered conversation perks. Of course people on GameFAQs were like, "OMG I don't want to be teh gays!". :lol

It's a nice touch though, even if relationships in a Bethesda-engine game are almost non-existent (Gamebryo!!!!).

Nose Master

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, there is. You have to basically talk to someone who will guide you to where you find proof. I think this was one of the first "ambiguous" quests I did in the game.

Are they in the town? I think I talked to everyone, though, I didn't get any prompts regarding the quest for a couple of them. It was my first time meeting them, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nose Master said:
Are they in the town? I think I talked to everyone, though, I didn't get any prompts regarding the quest for a couple of them. It was my first time meeting them, though.

Yeah, there's a crazy dude who will tell you to go to the lobby of the motel. In there is a safe you can crack that will tell you who sold Boone's wife.

52club

Welcome to the Fallout Beta, admission grants the option to pay full price, you get to try to play through a game with numerous glitches/bugs (which later will be fixed) and really make things exciting no reviews were available until launch.

Loved Fallout 3, but got it for $30 on BF. I really feel for those who pay full price for a product that hasn't been well tested. My hostility is a symptom of my feeling game developers/publishers will continue to push untested games.

NoRéN

52club said:
Welcome to the Fallout Beta, admission grants the option to pay full price, you get to try to play through a game with numerous glitches/bugs (which later will be fixed) and really make things exciting no reviews were available until launch.

Loved Fallout 3, but got it for $30 on BF. I really feel for those who pay full price for a product that hasn't been well tested. My hostility is a symptom of my feeling game developers/publishers will continue to push untested games.
This is a very useful post.

Anyway, finally played this for about 3 hours. No bugs so far. No freezing, the music is phenomenal and Mr. New Vegas said he loves me so, yeah!

So, the collector's edition are actually collecto's items now?

Top Bottom