• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

kn4rf

I played for 14 Hours yesterday and surprisingly am enjoying the Rat Pack / Twangy Country soundtrack more than I thought I would.

After awhile I started thinking that Mr New Vegas was slurring some of his lines. It sounds like Wayne Newton was into the hooch a little during the recording.

I'm normally not a huge follower of Mr. Newton except for the ever awesome National Lampoons Vegas Vacation so I just wanted to see if any of you other Wastlanders noticed this as well? Or if its just in my head?

NoRéN

kn4rf said:
I played for 14 Hours yesterday and surprisingly am enjoying the Rat Pack / Twangy Country soundtrack more than I thought I would.

After awhile I started thinking that Mr New Vegas was slurring some of his lines. It sounds like Wayne Newton was into the hooch a little during the recording.

I'm normally not a huge follower of Mr. Newton except for the ever awesome National Lampoons Vegas Vacation so I just wanted to see if any of you other Wastlanders noticed this as well? Or if its just in my head?
I noticed it as well. But, when I did notice, it was when Mr. New Vegas talked about ever saying I love you and not mean it. Part of the character? Or, maybe he did enjoy one to many a drink. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ZombieSupaStar said:
doesnt it really slow down when it cant maintain 60 though?
Technically it should, but my framerate hasn't dropped below 60 yet (other than a couple very minor hitches that happen here and there). It runs just as well as Fallout 3 thus far.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Played the PS3 version for a few hours last night. Game didn't crash or anything too bad. A few places where NPCs/enemies got stuck walking in place (easy kills!) or against a wall. Game also seems to studder for 1 second every 2-3 minutes.

Sanic

Could anyone tell me where I can find a companion early on? I just made it to
Novac

I went through Fallout 3 alone but would like to bring along a friend this time.

Ricker

Guys,I don`t want to wait 20 hours before realising there`s a flashlight on the Pip Boy to start using it but I can`t remember what it was on the 360 pad and they don`t mention it in the control layout or in the manual...per favor? :D

running the PC version and everything's been A-OK for me. graphics appear to be pretty much the same as FO3, but the game actually runs better than FO3 did at launch. performance is great with everything maxed, AA+aniso maxed on a GTX 460.

awesome game by the way. all my fears turned out to be untrue. well except for the fact that
I can rob the doctor blind at the start of the game with no negative repercussions
...oh well more loot for me :)

Pandoracell said:
Could anyone tell me where I can find a companion early on? I just made it to
Novac

I went through Fallout 3 alone but would like to bring along a friend this time.
You're close to one.

Seek out Boone in Novac. Keep in mind you may need some manner of convincing him after finishing his quest. 6 in intelligence should do

Also not too far away there's a merchant area.
There's a girl with a hood named Veronica. She starts with a fist but give her a super sledge when you find one.

Spookie

Pandoracell said:

You can find
E-DE in the town with the Mohjave Express (spelling?) building. It's where you rescue the deputy. You do need some additional parts to repair it though.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There's a girl with a hood named Veronica. She starts with a fist but give her a super sledge when you find one.

Find her too. Her quest chain is great.

FoeHammer

I started this last night and finished up all the available quests from the starting town. I've already had two glitches that caused me to load a previous save, so I think that might be annoying later on.

So far it's great, but I'll beat the dead horse and say that I really wish they could have gone with a new engine for this one. It's starting to look a little rough.

Also, is the Doctor Tye from Battlestar Gallactica? Bonus points if so. That's one thing I've noticed so far; lots of different voice actors. That was a much needed change.

dark10x

graphics appear to be pretty much the same as FO3, but the game actually runs better than FO3 did at launch.
You're running faster hardware, though. I first played FO3 on an 8800GT and now I'm using a Radeon 5870. The boost in hardware is definitely going to produce better results.

That said, FO3 always ran pretty well for me.

A.CHAP

Banned
Is there anything new about the gameplay in this? I enjoyed the first one but didnt bother with the expansions as id had my fill. I read a review which raved about the writing and story but thats not what i play games for.

Spookie said:

Yeah.

The related quests are crazy. Spent nearly an hour in some insanely-vegetated vault and now I'm in fucking Boomer-country. This kid explained this mural where all the people wanna do is blow up outsiders. I just wanna unleash two-fisted justice upon that entire clan

Not to mention all of the quests available through the Brotherhood. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever reach Vegas.

Ricker said:
Guys,I don`t want to wait 20 hours before realising there`s a flashlight on the Pip Boy to start using it but I can`t remember what it was on the 360 pad and they don`t mention it in the control layout or in the manual...per favor? :D
If it's the same as in Fallout 3, just hold down the B-button.

I'm still waiting for it to be released over here. Maybe it's a good thing it's not out yet, since I've got some studying left to do. ><

Ricker

Blue Ninja said:
If it's the same as in Fallout 3, just hold down the B-button.

I'm still waiting for it to be released over here. Maybe it's a good thing it's not out yet, since I've got some studying left to do. ><

Ahhh cool thanks,hopefully it`s the same yes...

A.CHAP said:
Is there anything new about the gameplay in this? I enjoyed the first one but didnt bother with the expansions as id had my fill. I read a review which raved about the writing and story but thats not what i play games for.

Probably not no,it`s pretty much the same with tweaks and it starts out a lot faster the Fallout 3...they added like DPS for weapons,you can have 2 companions at a time,you can see if bartering will succeed or not,they added the Hardcore mode, but basically,it looks and plays a lot like Fallout 3.

Sanic

PepsimanVsJoe said:
You're close to one.

Seek out Boone in Novac. Keep in mind you may need some manner of convincing him after finishing his quest. 6 in intelligence should do

Spookie said:
You can find
E-DE in the town with the Mohjave Express (spelling?) building. It's where you rescue the deputy. You do need some additional parts to repair it though.

Thanks guys, I think i'll try Boone first.

Eh you know what Veronica sounds cool, where is this merchant town located relative to
Novac?

Got my first major bug when Boone disappeared after talking to him about
bitter springs
then quick traveling. I already know what to do about missing companions, since it happens all the time in Fallout 3. By inputting prid 96bce then player.moveto I warped to some random spot where he was nowhere to be found, not even under the terrain (checked using tcl). I used moveto player and he appeared and instantly started talking about the next step in his personal quest. Good thing I have the PC version as console owners are still screwed when it comes to disappearing NPCs.. have fun with that.

bjork

I really want to be stoked for this game since a couple of my friends worked on it and all, but I'm still Fallout-ed out after playing through F3 twice. Probably gonna wait for the GOTY version, but I'm glad to hear the story is good, and the previews I've watched look like it's more of what I liked about F3 so much.

dark10x said:
You're running faster hardware, though. I first played FO3 on an 8800GT and now I'm using a Radeon 5870. The boost in hardware is definitely going to produce better results.

That said, FO3 always ran pretty well for me.

it's not just that, I remember having all kinds of random crashes until their were a few patches available. FO3 was basically unplayable for me with the shipping version.

DryvBy

Played for 15 minutes. No crashes yet :p
I had make up midterms last night online so I couldn't really play. But I built my character yesterday on a sheet of paper at work.

Ward Cleaver: Fun Loving Dad, or Secret Serial Killer? :lol

zlatko

Banned
Played a few hours. Loving it. No bugs on the PC version yet. I got it for $30.00 from a fellow NeoGaffer so even if I was experiencing bugs I still don't feel cheated. :D

Not feeling Mr. Vegas as much as Three Dog. All these new systems for weapons/items are a little over whelming at first so I'm glad I didn't pick hardcore mode on my first playthrough. I'll save that till I am way more familiar with the game.

I'm thinking of getting the guide like I did with F3. Then again I could use the internet instead. :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played for 3 hours, still in Goodspring looting the buildings. Framerate pretty consistent (no changes on the inis), even with a few enemies and no crashes.

2,1 gh Duo
4gb Ram
Vista
Radeon HD 4650

Amneisac

I am definitely getting the white spots some other people were talking about. I also greatly enjoyed that mouse fix. I haven't experienced any gameplay bugs in the hour or so I played, but there have been some weird graphical issues with white spots and strange glowing/clipping issues with corpses.

Alucrid said:
Did anyone get an email saying they got the promo credit from Amazon? I got it yesterday but when I checked it was just the $20 I had from Halo Reach even though I got the email saying I got it.

I had to call Amazon to get it fixed.

Game feels like a breath of fresh air. Visually it's awful (how far do I need to turn my brightness up? Man...) but there's no doubt that this is probably my favorite genre in gaming right now.

Right now my guy is going to be maxing out luck fairly soon and I'm hoping it really pays off down the road.

iam220

Thanks to the impressions here, I'll be picking this up around the steam holiday sale. Hopefully its discounted by ~25% and a couple of patches will get released for it by that time. Really happy to hear about the excellent writing in this one.

stupei

water_wendi said:
If i was playing these games on console i would clear the cache every session.

Does clearing the cache also reset most objects in the world?

Because that is what makes the load times so terrible on consoles the longer you play the game...

KAL2006

Banned
I was going to get this game but after hearing about all the bugs, I think iot would be best to just wait for GotY version, which will have all the DLC and bugs sorted out. Too many games coming out anyway.

Barrett2

Played two hours last night. Opening seemed unimpressive. You get shot and wake up in a drab, brown little town. Meh.

The game just looks gross, not to mention that in the very first quest I did with Sunny, her dog went back and forth between floating six inches off the ground to ice skating along the dirt like a figuring on ice.

Still, it's more Fallout, so I can't wait to get home and play more.

KAL2006 said:
I was going to get this game but after hearing about all the bugs, I think iot would be best to just wait for GotY version, which will have all the DLC and bugs sorted out. Too many games coming out anyway.

Wasn´t the GOTY-version of Fallout 3 even buggier than the original Fallout 3?

Sullichin

PS3 version:
in terms of bugs/crappiness, the only thing that's annoying is that the game seems to hang up for a second... about every minute. I wish this would get fixed. Other than that there's standard enemies getting stuck in objects/general weirdness that's forgivable. Loving the game so far though.

epmode

One gripe I have with the PC version is that you seem to be entirely unable to rebind the 2 key. It's always bound to "swap ammo" so I can't set different weapons to it.

Basically, 2 needs to be my goddamned handgun or I'll go crazy!

Other than that, I was able to fix most performance issues with config file edits and I'm really looking forward to playing the game tonight. If I can decide on a final build, that is.

RS4-

Great, there's a tunnel that I was exploring, just your usual A-to-B section with a small room in the middle, which I can't get to because I clip through the ground then end up on the other end of the tunnel :lol

I'll post the clip later

Played for about an hour last night on PC. Went to bed when out of nowhere it crashed to desktop. Hope this doesn't happen all the time...

Also, the voice actor for Sunny seems pretty shitty. Could they not have found someone who doesn't sound like she's reading her lines while folding laundry?

another total lockup. laaame

also is anyone else having an issue where all of a sudden the players arms cover just about the whole screen? goes away if I change weapons. has happened a few times now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
One gripe I have with the PC version is that you seem to be entirely unable to rebind the 2 key. It's always bound to "swap ammo" so I can't set different weapons to it.

Basically, 2 needs to be my goddamned handgun or I'll go crazy!

Other than that, I was able to fix most performance issues with config file edits and I'm really looking forward to playing the game tonight. If I can decide on a final build, that is.
That's because it 2 = up on the 360 d-pad and it forces you to use that bind on the 360 pad too. It's weird that it's forced though :(

Max said:
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2

This made my game run so much smoother.

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890
Hmm... I'll have to try that when I get home. The only issue I've had with the game (outside of a couple of crashes) is that it seems to slow down somewhat when there's an NPC on screen temporarily, and will turn into a slideshow when there are several. The game recommended very high settings, but even if I dial it down to medium, the problem was still more or less the same, so I don't think it's my system. Perhaps the above will help.

dark10x

Beer Monkey said:
I've decided to wait a few weeks for a sale and to see which version is most stable at that time.
It's pretty much all about the PC version.

The console versions are not going to see any framerate or loading improvements, I'm sure. The PC version makes entering and exiting buildings feel virtually seamless with its extremely quick loading while the console versions can take a surprisingly long amount of time.

PC will probably see the first patches as well. As the game uses Steam now, it should move along pretty smoothly.

Sanic

Ok, so, it seems
Camp Forlorn Hope
is NOT where you can find
Veronica
, as I was just destroyed :lol. I guess all of those NCR trooper bodies should have hinted to me as to what was ahead.

Top Bottom