• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

MrMephistoX

For those of you on the fence about the PS3 version: don't be.

I'm not going to jinx my chances of running into glitches but about an hour in I haven't experienced anything along the lines of the absolute garbage that plagued FO3 when it first launched.

I'd say overall in terms of jank it's no better and no worse than the GOTY Edition on PS3.

As for the game itself loving it so far, it's got a superior music selection thus far and I'm digging the atmosphere and somewhat different vibe of the characters and better realized voice acting.

theBishop

Banned
MrMephistoX said:

I'm not going to jinx my chances of running into glitches but about an hour in I haven't experienced anything along the lines of the absolute garbage that plagued FO3 when it first launched.

I'd say overall in terms of jank it's no better and no worse than the GOTY Edition on PS3.

As for the game itself loving it so far, it's got a superior music selection thus far and I'm digging the atmosphere and somewhat different vibe of the characters and better realized voice acting.

Yeah, call me crazy, but New Vegas seems like an improvement over 3. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but New Vegas looks and performs better than I remember from Fallout 3. Also, it seems to be v-synced. I haven't noticed any tearing yet.

iammeiam

kai3345 said:
Is there any way to side with the Powder Gang in the Ringo quest?

Isn't that what the dialog option for
"How about I help you take over the town?" dialog with Cobb
is for? I never tried it, but it seems like that would have to be there to give you a choice.

MrMephistoX said:

I havent run into any glitches so far in the first 3 hours of the game. However, there is plenty of stutter...tons of stutter.

the ps3 version doesnt even seem bad tbh, its been loading much quicker than a stream i saw yesterday(360 version) but like others have said it seems to stutter.

I ran into a weird bug my weapons auto fire once and i cant shoot anymore after and even if i switch to another it does the same thing. i stopped playing for awhile so hopefully it'll be fixed when i play again in the morning.

and goddamn are those caesar assassins hard, a stick of dynamite at their feet and they dont even lose 25% of health. i guess thats what i get for starting a war with caesar, but they're gonna pay for their crimes>:)

kai3345

Banned
iammeiam said:
Isn't that what the dialog option for
"How about I help you take over the town?" dialog with Cobb
is for? I never tried it, but it seems like that would have to be there to give you a choice.
I think I said that and he was like "Lets not talk here" or something like that, and then I never saw him again until he
invaded the town

Ok, so after a few hours of playing I must say I liked the way FO:3 started much more than NV. There is no comparison to stepping out in the capital wasteland for the first time. It's like Obsidian knew that and just said "here you go, another wasteland have fun!". Just completely underwhelming. That aside, loving the actual game so far. I remember hearing that the map is about the same size but it just doesnt seem to be the case. Maybe I am remembering FO:3 incorrectly.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm liking it so far, but definitely feels like...more Fallout. Like an expansion. The aiming feels much better than 3, I can say that much. Hardcore mode adds another layer of skill, and I appreciate that. Can't wait to get my first companion.

Zeliard

Started up a character and I'm gonna concentrate heavily on trying to talk my way through things & stab people in the back (literally and metaphorically ;p). Put points into Intelligence and Charisma and tagged Speech, Stealth and Survival, then picked Wild Wasteland and Good Natured as starting traits. I'm hoping/expecting NV to be more generous for players who want to be slick and sneaky.

Some useful stuff in Doc's place if you raid it at the start, especially if you're playing on Hardcore mode.

Topher said:
I'm liking it so far, but definitely feels like...more Fallout. Like an expansion. The aiming feels much better than 3, I can say that much. Hardcore mode adds another layer of skill, and I appreciate that. Can't wait to get my first companion.

Better protect them on hardcore...

(._.)

Banned
About an hour in. Love everything except the hiccups I get every few seconds if I move the mouse around a bunch. Going to mess with the settings to see if I can fix it.

I'm stuck on an early mission though for some reason.
I am supposed to find two things. I found one of them by the cemetery, can't find the other one by the school, where is it?

Grayman

The immensity of New Vegas early in is interesting. After looting three trophy items from a gecko i thought "fuck yeah", when looking at the crafting menu or my aid item inventory i think "fuck no". Deciding what to heal or satiate with is cumbersome.

Dalauz said:
Same. The hitbox was kinda buggy. I actually enter that school? and CLICKED everything and move every single piece of wood.
stupid thing was outside
Those took me a very long time to find as well.

i-Lo

MrMephistoX said:

Thanks. My gripes are still the lack of any form of AA and shadow implementations seem worse on PS3. Also, I have plenty of tracks from Dean Martin, Sinatra etc which I can use as custom tracks on 360. I have F3 for PS3 and loved every moment of it, however.

(._.) said:
About an hour in. Love everything except the hiccups I get every few seconds if I move the mouse around a bunch. Going to mess with the settings to see if I can fix it.

I'm stuck on an early mission though for some reason.
I am supposed to find two things. I found one of them by the cemetery, can't find the other one by the school, where is it?

on the east side. should be some bugs by it. They are roots so look down. There should be 3 by the rock.

iammeiam

kai3345 said:
I think I said that and he was like "Lets not talk here" or something like that, and then I never saw him again until he
invaded the town

I have the strategy guide, so I just looked it up. That's actually a cue to
follow him out of town, where you can have further dialog about taking over.

i-Lo said:
Thanks. My gripes are still the lack of any form of AA and shadow implementations seem worse on PS3. Also, I have plenty of tracks from Dean Martin, Sinatra etc which I can use as custom tracks on 360. I have F3 for PS3 and loved every moment of it, however.
This. If I didnt get the PS3 version for cheap I would have gotten the 360 version since I dont have a cool PC.

Zeliard

Dresden said:
Perma-death for companions in hardcore

I managed to beat Fallout 3 with Jericho tagging along for almost the entire game without ever dying. Dunno how it's gonna work out this time but we'll see. ;p

Game is incredible so far. :D

No bugs to speak of (360), except for the odd (and I mean odd) framedrop to about 1 FPS in select areas around Goodsprings.

This game is punishing. Tried to run straight to Vegas and some big winged bugs just served me my ass.

disappeared said:
Game is incredible so far. :D

No bugs to speak of (360), except for the odd (and I mean odd) framedrop to about 1 FPS in select areas around Goodsprings.

This game is punishing. Tried to run straight to Vegas and some big winged bugs just served me my ass.

Same on the PS3. Gotta be performance bugs. They happen randomly but often.

Zeliard

Does anyone's character seem like they're moving in slow-mo? I felt like I was moving slowly around the game world so I went into third-person view and my guy was basically moving in slow-motion. FPS is at around 30 outdoors so I don't know what the issue is.

Don't remember if it's just normal and was like that in Fallout 3 or not. It's been a while.

Edit: looks like ifpsclamp is the culprit. Wonderful, since that's also what minimizes the stuttering.

TheExecutive said:
Same on the PS3. Gotta be performance bugs. They happen randomly but often.

Honestly it's something I'm willing to forgive at this point, unless it starts to fuck with combat. Speaking of which, does anyone find themselves using VATS less now that the iron sights are awesome for aiming? I've taken out coyotes hundreds of feet away. It's great!

One strange-ish thing I noticed was that the character model (male anyway) seems more stunted and heavy-looking. Maybe it's just the old TV I'm playing on, but yeah.

Okay so hardcore mode means ally death? Well fuck that.
I'm changing my name to Betty so Veronica and I will be the baddest bitches in the Waste.

New glitch!

I fast-traveled somewhere(Eastern Pump Station IIRC) and as soon as I arrived I shot up several feet into the air. When I landed I broke both of my legs and lost 9/10ths of my health...good times.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:
Complex in rendering engines, but not complex in gameplay. Games like Fallout 2, PlaneScape, and Arcanum still beat the ever loving crap out of practically ever modern RPG in terms of gameplay complexity.

But they were also buggy as hell, so I'm not sure what my point is.

I didnt mean complex in gameplay. In fact gameplay complexity is one of the first victims though it leads to its own problems (like uneven gameplay system), but I'd rather have the gameplay complexity.

Also Planescape wasnt buggy on release afaik. Its the OS and cards leaps that make it unstable.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm changing my name to Betty so Veronica and I will be the baddest bitches in the Waste.

New glitch!

I fast-traveled somewhere(Eastern Pump Station IIRC) and as soon as I arrived I shot up several feet into the air. When I landed I broke both of my legs and lost 9/10ths of my health...good times.

Yeah, that happens when I walk out my front door to go to work sometimes. Fucking sucks, too.

Zeliard

Fredescu said:
I've seen suggestions to roll back to driver 186.18 or to turn off water effects like this: http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/367/fonv2.png

Nice, changing the water settings worked perfectly. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place because I was getting massive stuttering without ifpsclamp=60, but with that on shit would go into slow-mo outside since my frames there are halved to 30'ish.

This pretty much completely eliminated the stuttering (strange, given that there are no bodies of water that I can see where I'm at), and no need for ifpsclamp. Yay.

kai3345

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

New glitch!

Weren't companion deaths permanent in F3 also?

avcables

Banned
I changed the water settings since the ifpsclamp breaks when the framerate goes above OR below 60FPS, due to it speeding/slowing the game.

Still doesn't help with NPCs. Game slows to a crawl when they near. I read that there are a couple other settings you can change to assist with NPC framerate slowdown but Bethesda's forums are down, presumably from a forum-breaking bug because somebody decided to take a 2 hour lunch at Outback.

Matchew

Damn this game is good...I have to say I'm enjoying it more then FO3 for one reason..The music or maybe not music but the sounds!!!

Zeliard

avcables said:
I changed the water settings since the ifpsclamp breaks when the framerate goes above OR below 60FPS, due to it speeding/slowing the game.

Still doesn't help with NPCs. Game slows to a crawl when they near. I read that there are a couple other settings you can change to assist with NPC framerate slowdown but Bethesda's forums are down, presumably from a forum-breaking bug because somebody decided to take a 2 hour lunch at Outback.

Still haven't checked it out with NPCs. I was getting huge stuttering outside when simply turning my mouse, and changing the water settings basically eliminated that. Time to go check what's up with the NPCs.

There's definitely some strangeness with that, though. Even in the beginning in Doc's house, I'd literally get 60 FPS if I was facing away from Doc, then as soon as I turned to him, it would basically halve for seemingly no reason. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A few hours in and it's great. I like hardcore mode, it makes all the items you find a lot more useful. I could definitely play this all night.

It has run fine on 360 so far. 3 hours in and no freezing or glitches or anything. It's still early but it's not that bad so far.

God, in addition to resolution problems, the vats delay bug, now I do the quest in Goodsprings only to find that firefights bring my PC to a grinding, 4-5 fps halt. Games unplayable in this state.

Zeliard

Just did a quick NPC test at the General Store. When I turn away from Chet and towards the door, I'm at 60 FPS. When I turn towards Chet behind the counter, it drops to 40. Every single time.

What the.

AkuMifune

Banned
Gravijah said:
All but Dog Meat, IIRC. That's why I never used 'em! :lol Gonna try to use them more this time.

:lol Yeah, I left him at Vault 101 and would go pet him from time to time.

Just got my copy, leaving work soon to go lose myself in this awesomeness.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, question about first quest after goodsprings:

The only quest I currently have left after the gunfight in goodsprings is to "Investigate The Express Office In Prinn". I go down there, and there are some NCF guys stationed outside telling me to not go into town. However, my quest pointer is inside the town. I go into town, and sure enough, everyone is shooting at me. I run into the building where the quest arrow is pointing, and everyone in the building is trying to kill me. Even the guy that the quest arrow is trained on. I even tried walking in wearing my Powder Gang outfit... they still tried to kill me. Am I supposed to just kill everyone in the town to continue? Or am I supposed to go do other stuff and come back there when I'm more powerful?

iammeiam

FlyinJ said:
Ok, question about first quest after goodsprings:

The only quest I currently have left after the gunfight in goodsprings is to "Investigate The Express Office In Prinn". I go down there, and there are some NCF guys stationed outside telling me to not go into town. However, my quest pointer is inside the town. I go into town, and sure enough, everyone is shooting at me. I run into the building where the quest arrow is pointing, and everyone in the building is trying to kill me. Even the guy that the quest arrow is trained on. I even tried walking in wearing my Powder Gang outfit... they still tried to kill me. Am I supposed to just kill everyone in the town to continue? Or am I supposed to go do other stuff and come back there when I'm more powerful?

The Powder Gang has basically taken over Primm; the people inside the building your arrow points to are essentially prisoners/captives. Going in there dressed as a Powder Gang member auto-pisses them off; if you can get in there dressed normally they should not attack--unless you've already made them go red, and are coming back later; they don't appear to reset from that.

Basically, when I did it, I Stealth Boy'd through town, then stood up and approached them normally inside, and was able to talk to the quest guy.

Meeru

Banned
dunno bout the guys complainin, but my pc runs new vegas as smooth as butter max with 8x 15x

i5 760
460 1 gb sli
8gb ddr3

avcables

Banned
Snapshot King said:
God, in addition to resolution problems, the vats delay bug, now I do the quest in Goodsprings only to find that firefights bring my PC to a grinding, 4-5 fps halt. Games unplayable in this state.
Yep. I noticed the NPC framerate issues with everyone around town but it wasn't as substantial as it was during the fight. I didn't kill any of the enemies during the fight. It was literally impossible to aim accurately.

There is a supposed fix on Bethesda's forums but they were down last I checked. I got fed up and am resorting to laying down to forget about it all, haha.

The setting has the word "blue" and maybe "face" in it as well. And the second setting was something with emotions and to set that to '0' to turn it off. These must be causing the problems.

Furthermore, someone suggested changing the value of "ifpsclamp" to 40 instead of 0. Maybe these removes stuttering and does a trade-off for that slo-mo jank?

avcables

Banned
valenti said:
dunno bout the guys complainin, but my pc runs new vegas as smooth as butter max with 8x 15x

i5 760
460 1 gb sli
8gb ddr3
List your full specs, vanilla or otherwise, and if you're running F:NV with any changes to your .ini's.

Then list your average framerate when out in the wasteland as opposed to looking at one or more NPCs.

I have a feeling no one is running this game smooth as butter right now.

EDIT: Well, you ninja'd but I still quoted before you got it in.

I still don't believe it's running like butter for you. The unfortunate thing about issues like these is that no matter the hardware, the problems will always be there. It's flaws in the programming of the game that cause them.

Seriously. 2-hour lunch at Outback. Slackers.

Varna

valenti said:

i5 760
460 1 gb sli
8gb ddr3

You've had your first pretty big battle yet? My game ran incredibly well and then I got to my first big fight. Went from 60 to 10 for no reason.

Same rig as you except no sli.

Zeliard

Game's running smoothly for me overall but there's some oddness with NPCs when it comes to the framerate.

Nothing even remotely game-breaking but it's just strange. Still having lots of fun with it, and I've barely started.

Dalauz

Help with Primm
ROBOSHERIFF

I got the 3 fussion bateries still missing the 4 conductors, where I can find them?

Top Bottom