• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
nismogrendel said:
The radio stations are really good. I like the "my johnny" song and the super mutant talk radio the best.

I like the radio too, but there seems to be far, far fewer songs thus far. I've heard them too much already and have now turned the radio off completely.

Sullichin said:
PS3 version:
in terms of bugs/crappiness, the only thing that's annoying is that the game seems to hang up for a second... about every minute. I wish this would get fixed. Other than that there's standard enemies getting stuck in objects/general weirdness that's forgivable. Loving the game so far though.

I am on PS3 as well and this is annoying but not game breaking! I was wondering if it was just me, and I am glad to see this is the norm. The FPS and vsync are much better than FO3. I did have a texture hang up once where the ground texture didn't load for like a minute. It was jarring once it popped up, lol! That is the only bug I have come across. So far I am loving it! It does what Obsidian does well, dialog and story! Big improvements over FO3 in that area!

Amneisac

It's an overcast and rainy day, I wanted to stay home in the dark and just play all day. Those are some of the best days.

Work fucking sucks.

Dalauz

Dresden said:
Cleared out Primm:

I had no idea the deputy was in the kitchen, so when I lured all the baddies in and detonated three frag mines+dynamites in it, he almost got killed. :lol Also, on Hard, the leader STILL survived that and needed another dynamite tossed at him in VATS to finish him off. Was able to talk to the deputy despite him being hostile. Loving it.
Did you made ROBOTSHERIFF? i cant find the damn conductors (4), got the batteries.

Marvie_3

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I like the radio too, but there seems to be far, far fewer songs thus far. I've heard them too much already and have now turned the radio off completely.
Same here. It took me a lot longer to finally get sick of the radio in Fallout 3.

I played the shit out of this game last night. I forgot how addicted I can get to these types of games. The setup in the beginning isn't as grand as Fallout 3 but it's much much more interesting. They also nailed the tone and atmosphere.

As far as glitches I encountered, there were only 2 significant problems. There are images of the first bug, earlier in this thread. The whole, eyeballs on the side of the dogs head thing.

The second bug happened during an early mission. 6-7 enemies were to attack a small town but only 4 or 5 actually did. 2 of these enemies were frozen in place and none of my projectile weapons did any damage (to finish the mission they had to die). I pulled out a machete and lo and behold the melee weapon was actually working. Unfortunately, the killing blow on the first guy resulted in a crash to the desktop.

roMonster

10 hours played and my save file is corrupt. Even if I go back to the last working save file, play a little, and then create a new save the game crashes when I try to open it.

Maybe this time I'll go explosives, guns, and science. Speech wasn't as powerful as it was in FO3.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
JodyAnthony said:
another total lockup. laaame

also is anyone else having an issue where all of a sudden the players arms cover just about the whole screen? goes away if I change weapons. has happened a few times now.

yup

Also have the glitch when my gun/arm/whatever disappears, as if it's been holstered. Comes back when I start moving. Classy

avcables

Banned
Snapshot King said:
That stuff certainly helps, but the ini resets itself every single time.
Select both .ini's and un-check "Read Only" in the properties, make your changes to both files, then re-check "Read Only". This stops them resetting.

Now that it's a new day, I might give this a shot.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Superior PC version smooth as a whistle. Not one problem after about 3 hours of play.

The framerate could be better seeing that it's running slower than Fallout 3 when I was playing it on a 9800GT.

Other than that, awesome times.

Fuck it, im leaving work early tomorrow if my copy turns up, been watching the first 15 minutes on eurogamer and i've drooled everywhere...

avcables

Banned
roMonster said:
10 hours played and my save file is corrupt. Even if I go back to the last working save file, play a little, and then create a new save the game crashes when I try to open it.

Maybe this time I'll go explosives, guns, and science. Speech wasn't as powerful as it was in FO3.
Don't know if you're playing PC but you might want to check my possible fix a page or two back.

Coverly

Amneisac said:
It's an overcast and rainy day, I wanted to stay home in the dark and just play all day. Those are some of the best days.

Same here. I'm sitting here just thinking about point distributions for my character. Maybe I can wiggle out of work early.

Questions on the game:

1. If you get the finesse perk, adding 5 points to your base luck, does that mean that if you already have 9 luck you'll end up with 14? Or is the limit 10? If you add a luck implant on top of that can it make it 15?

2. What is a good site for New Vegas mods?

RS4-

JodyAnthony said:
another total lockup. laaame

also is anyone else having an issue where all of a sudden the players arms cover just about the whole screen? goes away if I change weapons. has happened a few times now.

Yup, and there's no reason why it should happen either. I see it a few times every hour. Hell sometimes my gun disappears as if I have it holstered..but it isn't :lol

edit - for those doing the mission about delivering the radio codes...how the hell do you get to the one on the far left? Goddamn invisible walls and hills impeding my progress.

I'm going to do some more walking around but some of the areas are getting ridiculous having to try and find ways to them.

Solo

Jesus. I have the game and will be firing it up for the first time soon, but its pretty disheartening to pop in here and see 90% of posts about how buggy the game is.

Although its an Obsidian game, why would I expect anything else? :lol :lol

avcables

Banned
Max said:
Quote:
fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini found in documents>my games>falloutnv folder

Increase FPS on multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 (or 4 for quad)

Remove Mouse Acceration:

In falloutprefs.ini add this under [controls]:
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0

Change the Field of View:

In fallout.ini
Ctrl+F "fov" and change that shit to 90.

This definitely works but the NPC frame drop is still there. I'm gonna try that emotion one and get back.

EDIT: ToggleEmotions in the console helps the issue. I no longer get the framerate drop when fighting
the one dude that turns on me after saying his girlfriend was being trapped by the geckos.

ilikeme

I buy Obsidian games for the bugs and the messiness.

KOTOR2 went from only great to best fucking experience ever when I realized the ending just kind of.. wasn't there. SO GOOD

I hope the ps3 version has more bugs than the others. Crashes ftw. Oh the vid on yt with the rolling heads and the pic of the dog with the side-of-the-head eyes.. oh gosh.

I would have bought Vanquish but I think I'm playing this or Fallout 2 (no patches) again.

Obsidian are king

Presco

Picked this up yesterday and spent the entire evening playing. Man, it's good to be back in the wasteland. I was having a great time when the game worked. Unfortunately, in my first three hours of playtime I had game a ending lockup occur 8 times. 7 of the 8 were in Primm. After I got through that section things seemed to clear up. Played for another couple of hours and had zero problems. Just hope it stays like this cause I was getting frustrated as hell having to restart my Xbox multiple times (new 250 GB Reach console, game installed).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've encountered a few bugs myself, but nothing that broke the game too much. Only one hard lock-up and one instance where I fell through the floor and completely off the map. Both were remedied with a reload and it's nothing that I didn't experience at some point with Fallout 3. I'm glad I've been saving fairly often, though.

Performance-wise, I was initially really shocked to see how poorly it performed. It auto-configured to a sub-HD resolution at high settings and was really chugging along on my machine that plays F03 pretty much perfectly at 1080p. I went back in and turned the water multisampling all the way to low, turned off v-sync, and upped the resolution to 1080p and I'm now getting very similar performance to FO3.

Except when there are a few people on the screen at once. Oh god, do they cast some sort of fantastic voodoo. It appears to be a fairly common problem, though. So I imagine that will be one of the first things remedied with upcoming patches.

As for the game itself: pretty much everything is better than FO3. The writing has been fantastic thus far, with things I've actually audibly laughed at ("
I also sorta plowed his daughter
"). The voice acting is noticeably much better, too. The quests, just from the first 12 hours-or-so of play, rank alongside the best in FO3. The subtle and not-so-subtle changes in gameplay mechanics are perfect and must be moved forward with the series. I'm even enjoying the true iron-sights, something I though I wouldn't care about.

I really hope Bethesda lets Obsidian develop another Fallout game, if not Fallout 4 proper then at least something akin to what we've gotten with NV compared against FO3.

avcables

Banned
Another huge fix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1091897/d3d9.dll

Place this in Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\

Significant increase in performance on a few machines, including my own!

This file is also located in your Windows folder. Just search in there and when you find it, copy it into said directory.

EDIT: Guys, after applying all these previous tweaks in the .ini's and then replacing this file, I have zero problems. I just replayed the big fight at the end of the first town and played through the whole thing, 60+FPS.

1yju6r.jpg

Wow. :lol

Still looking forward to playing this, however.

Luigi87

About 7 or 8 hours in on PC, only had one crash thus far during one of the time I entered Novac... Not really sure what happened, but fortunately it was immediately after a save so no harm done.

One thing that gets me is the landscape constantly seems to have this... light flashing here and there, which I am guessing is a glitch?

avcables said:
Another huge fix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1091897/d3d9.dll

Place this in Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\

Significant increase in performance on a few machines, including my own!

This file is also located in your Windows folder. Just search in there and when you find it, copy it into said directory.

EDIT: Guys, after applying all these previous tweaks in the .ini's and then replacing this file, I have zero problems. I just replayed the big fight at the end of the first town and played through the whole thing, 60+FPS.
Several people at the Bethsoft forum are reporting this as a fix as well. I guess I shall see later.

Just over 24 hours till the Australian unlock. Of course my video card would have to die just days before release. But I'm picking up a GTX470 tomorrow morning, so that should do the job. However what exactly is the story behind the nVidia bug I saw mentioned earlier in the thread?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Luigi87 said:
One thing that gets me is the landscape constantly seems to have this... light flashing here and there, which I am guessing is a glitch?
It seems to be an issue with Nvidia cards. I get the same thing.

Luigi87

Stallion Free said:
It seems to be an issue with Nvidia cards. I get the same thing.

Ah, alrighty so that is what it was.
Thanks.

Well... at least it makes the landscape look... glittery, just how I imagine Vegas!

avcables

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Several people at the Bethsoft forum are reporting this as a fix as well. I guess I shall see later.
Yea, I've been watching there closely as well and read up their source, too. I just tried it and haven't had a frame drop since.

Dresden

Whoa, so apparently, picking up the NCR armor in the 360 version in Primm will destroy your game. A friend of mine is having to start over because he didn't keep other save files. :lol

Lothars

Dresden said:
Whoa, so apparently, picking up the NCR armor in the 360 version in Primm will destroy your game. A friend of mine is having to start over because he didn't keep other save files. :lol

I will have to try that, sounds messed up.

I'm having a very positive experience so far. Playing on PC, haven't encountered any crazy bugs. Saw a dead body floating about 50 feet in the air in Primm, and some very minor clipping, but other than that, it's been okay.

The factions make world feel more alive than in FO3 and I love how the conflict between the Powder Gangers and NCR is the talk of the region and seems to affect everyone I've encountered in some way. Something about the plot is a bit more compelling this time around, I like how they establish an antagonist right at the outset. You're hunting one or a few dudes rather than dealing with this omnipresent Enclave or just blindly asking people "have you seen my daddy?"

The real time combat feels more solid than it did in FO3. I'm definitely using VATs a lot less. Using the 9mm pistol w/iron sites is fun. Specializing in explosives is doubly fun and blowing limbs off of people never gets old.

The voice acting is worlds better so far (although there are some duds). I'm currently at the NCR Mojave outpost, maybe 4 or 5 hours in.

daycru

I put in roughly five hours yesterday, didn't have any problems.

Well, other than how FUCKING TERRIFYING the Golden Geckos are.

Axiom

I just won this.

I was planning to wait until the GOTY edition, but I enjoy me some Obsidian and Matt Rorie is a swell guy.

Also I paid full price for Alpha Protocol, and while I liked it fine they still owe me for the effort involved in defending it to people who weren't looking for a sweet Choose Your Own Adventure game.

zlatko

Banned
Played for a few hours again today and only experienced on major bug where my character got stuck in rocks on a mountain I was climbing. Had to load up a save.

Also find it weird the bighorner enemies can hit you from so far away even though they didn't touch you. Not sure if that's a bug, but it's damn annoying getting knocked down for 5+ seconds.

Caravan sucks. I finally figured out how to play it without looking online, but crap did it take me a while. :lol

:( Still freaked out how much Mr. Vegas hits on me.

Had my first freeze, on PS3. This is after about 5 hours of play. I really need to save often, because this happened after I killed about 4 powder gangers, and I got some nice loot off of them. The were just randomly in the wasteland, so I don't know if they will be there when I fire it back up. Whoever said work sucks was telling the truth, because all I want to do is play this damn game right now!!!!!

Top Bottom