• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

So...there's no hotkeys for fast weapon switching on the PC? I looked around for it last night for a bit but I gave up and went to sleep. Please tell me I just missed it or someone is making a mod so I can bind different weapons to the number pad. I don't want to access the Pipboy every time I want to switch weapons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jamesfrom818 said:
So...there's no hotkeys for fast weapon switching on the PC? I looked around for it last night for a bit but I gave up and went to sleep. Please tell me I just missed it or someone is making a mod so I can bind different weapons to the number pad. I don't want to access the Pipboy every time I want to switch weapons.

You can already bind weapons and items to the number keys. While in the inventory screen, hold down a number and pop-up showing what item is assigned to which key should appear. Click the item you want to bind to the key you are holding with the left mouse button and it should work.

Flib

Jamesfrom818 said:

In the weapons menu, hold down the number key you want to bind to and click the weapon.

Though because of the consolized port, you can't bind anything to number 2 (switch ammo). This will be changed with mods, but it's annoying for now.

edit: beaten

Brinbe

Dresden said:
Whoa, so apparently, picking up the NCR armor in the 360 version in Primm will destroy your game. A friend of mine is having to start over because he didn't keep other save files. :lol
Bit late, but I had this same problem... tried repairing it since I had two sets of armor, and 1) the armor would completely disappear and 2) when I would exit the NCR tent or press start (to bring up the menu to save), the game would crash every single time. :lol

MrMephistoX

Felix Lighter said:
I played the shit out of this game last night. I forgot how addicted I can get to these types of games. The setup in the beginning isn't as grand as Fallout 3 but it's much much more interesting. They also nailed the tone and atmosphere.

Not there yet but I think the muted begining is deliberate so as not to outshine the buildup to entering New Vegas for the first time. I haven't reached it yet of course but I'm excited to set eyes on civilization

Is it fair to assign every bug in the game to one Nick Breckon due to his community management role at Bethesda? Because it would make me feel better if I could. Fuck Nick Breckon.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I bought New Vegas, Vanquish and Castlevania from Kmart earlier today.

Should I play Vanquish until they issue some patches or just jump right in???
Vanquish is the shortest, so I'd go for that any ways.

Dalauz

Zefah said:
You can already bind weapons and items to the number keys. While in the inventory screen, hold down a number and pop-up showing what item is assigned to which key should appear. Click the item you want to bind to the key you are holding with the left mouse button and it should work.
except for 2. I think is reserved for ammo types

darkpaladinmfc said:
Vanquish is the shortest, so I'd go for that any ways.

I might do that even though Castlevania will probably be less awesome than Vanquish. On the other hand, I don't know when those New vegas patches will come out and LoS is longer than Vanquish. On the other OTHER hand, I've got the PS3 version of Castlevania and I hear there are save game issues that have yet to be patched.

Animator

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I might do that even though Castlevania will probably be less awesome than Vanquish. On the other hand, I don't know when those New vegas patches will come out and LoS is longer than Vanquish. On the other OTHER hand, I've got the PS3 version of Castlevania and I hear there are save game issues that have yet to be patched.

What save game issues? I have put like 40 hours in castlevania already with zero issues.

Anyway great pick of games, you cant go wrong with any of them.

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, all these bug reports are dissappointing. I was looking forward to it, I've decided to hold off on the game a little bit.

Has there been any word on patches for console versions any time soon?

Max said:
For multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2

This made my game run so much smoother.

i5 750, 4gb ddr3, 4890

It says I can't update this because it is a read only file. (I am a new nooby pc gamer...help lol)

BrassMonkey1010 said:
It says I can't update this because it is a read only file. (I am a new nooby pc gamer...help lol)
Right-click, Properties, uncheck readonly. After you save, some suggest setting it back to readonly so that the changes don't get overwritten.

Carm

ZombieSupaStar said:

The only fix on that page that seemed to have a significant effect for me was the d3d9.dll

This one
14# Game Crashes After First Intro Video
Verify the integrity of the game files.
Or
It may all be happening due to a dll file missing, you can refer to the tutorial below to fix it, exact same problem was with Fallout 3.

* Download d3d9.dll.
* Once its done downloading, drag/drop in to your Fallout New Vegas folder.
* My Games/ Fallout New Vegas/
* Start the game and it should work!

If the game still doesn’t work after placing the dll file, you can refer to the steps below.

* Open “fallout.ini” or fallout_default.ini” and
* Press “Ctrl+F” and type in: SMainMenuMovieIntro=
* Delete: SMainMenuMovieIntro= , SIntroSequence=, sIntroMovie=Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik
* Save and Exit “fallout.ini” or “fallout_default.ini”.
* Go to “data” in your fallout new vegas folder, then videos.
* Find “Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik”, delete and back it up somewhere.
* Play Fallout New Vegas.

You can follow a video walkthrough on how you can do that here with further tips to resolve these issues.
Note. This was for Fallout 3, but works for Fallout New Vegas also, same game engine.

Just doing this change alone, my framerate went up dramatically with everythign on High settings except water stuff turned off. In Doc's house when talking to him framerate is basically 60fps after a short moment when it first initiates the dialog, prior to adding the .DLL my fps was at 27ish. Leaving Doc's house my framerate was again, around 27ish, after adding the .DLL my framerate is 57-60 in that section now. Meeting Caesar's Legion in Nipton, prior to adding the .DLL my fps bounced between 10-15fps, after 30-45 ish with those npcs on screen.

Massive fps boost, stuttering has went down, but not eliminated, still stutters far more than it should, vsync on or off.

Looking at the Fallout.INI file I did toggle one setting and it *seemed* to have an affect on the stuttering but it could just be a placebo effect.

I changed bUseHardDriveCache=0 to =1 instead.

Filldough

ezekial45 said:
Wow, all these bug reports are dissappointing. I was looking forward to it, I've decided to hold off on the game a little bit.

Has there been any word on patches for console versions any time soon?

PS3 version here. One bug so far, NPC I was with got stuck on another NPC. Was really weird, sorted itself once we got attacked but other than that not many issues. There are some frame rate hiccups but overall its not as bad as you'd think.

I was going to wait till bugs were sorted and finally decided to just jump in. Glad I did, game is fantastic (other than the bugs ;P) and as others have said, its great to be back in the wasteland.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
Steve Youngblood said:
Is it fair to assign every bug in the game to one Nick Breckon due to his community management role at Bethesda? Because it would make me feel better if I could. Fuck Nick Breckon.

Anything for the community. Fuck Nick.

Cheech

I have been butchering everything in sight with the broad machete (Tribal Pack). I never really played melee in FO3, I have to say it's pretty satisfying (and horribly violent!).

Put about 4 consecutive hours into the 360 version, and had no problems. This game is awesome.

Dyno

DSmalls84 said:
I'm trying to build a pistol/rifle gunslinger build. Would fast shot and Kamikaze be the best traits to pick?

I'm going the same sort of thing and I settled on Trigger Discipline. I'm playing hardcore so I want each shot to count rather than spraying a stream of hot lead. Kamikaze looked tempting but I don't quite know how Damage Threshold plays out so I didn't want to start lowering it. I just went with Wild Wasteland instead.

Dead

well not really...yet
So far the only glitch Ive been experiencing has been relating to Terminals.

I cant simply toggle them on. If I do, the screen never comes on, (though if I move the stick, I can hear the menu sounds)

I have to actually hold the toggle button the whole time in order for any terminal to work. This happen to anyone else? (on 360). This isnt just one Terminal btw, but every one Ive encountered...

JoeBoy101 said:
For those starting out, the Night Scope for the Varmint Rifle. BUY IT! Makes the early game a fun snipefest from stealth. :D
Where did you find this Night Scope?

The only mod I've found, and bought, so far is a larger clip of 8 bullets for the varmint rifle. And that was at the General Store in Goodsprings.

Presco

Dresden said:
Whoa, so apparently, picking up the NCR armor in the 360 version in Primm will destroy your game. A friend of mine is having to start over because he didn't keep other save files. :lol

Crap, so that's what was going on. I had multiple freezes and system lockups immediately after picking up two sets of NCR armor in Primm. I eventually got out of Primm and the game stopped acting crazy but I think I still have the armor in my inventory.

Played for about 30 mins last night. First human enemy I faced was glitched into a wall/fence thing so I couldn't kill him. Eventually he fell through the ground and I just gave up.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Where did you find this Night Scope?

The only mod I've found, and bought, so far is a larger clip of 8 bullets for the varmint rifle. And that was at the General Store in Good Springs.

I bought mine from Chet. Also the scope and clip extender for the 9mm is pretty awesome.

If he doesn't have it, just wait three days outside his shop and check to see what he has.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I bought mine from Chet. Also the scope and clip extender for the 9mm is pretty awesome.

If he doesn't have it, just wait three days outside his shop and check to see what he has.
Nice, thanks for the tip!

Right now the "Weathered 10mm pistol" is my best gun, damn thing rights heads off! I'm also packing a Varmint Rifle and a Cowboy Repeater.

I just finished Primm last night and
I was able to successfully reprogram the robot into the town's Sheriff, but the deputy ended up not liking that due to the robot's binary view of the law. Now I wish I had gone looking for the ex-sheriff that was captured & jailed.

Still haven't ran into any bugs, 360 version, and I've clocked over 5 hours of play time. Hardcore mode is great so far, I fight much more tactically as I want to avoid limb damage and companion death. But I keep running dangerously close to my 200 lb. inventory limit.
I'm glad I was able to repair ED-E as he's a great "pack mule" and enemy distraction in addition to his perk!

I think I'll explore that Jail tonight. But I'm vilified with the Powder Gang since I killed Joe Cobb and his boys when they
attacked Goodsprings
, so I guess it'll be tough to get the jail. Guess I'll try dressing as a Powder Ganger!

Dresden

Oh my god, REPCONN factory.

Fucking invisible Nightkin everywhere. A direct hit with a dynamite takes off 5% of its health, in Hard. Insane. Killing one took all my dynamites, now I'm plinking away with a 15-gun skill shotgun.

BattleMonkey said:
So is the gameplay broke still where you just put it all into stealth or guns and instantly blow through the game like nothing?
Not really, since a lot of games are open to abuse and exploitation. Like oh say Fallout 1 and 2.

Hylian7

I've encountered very few bugs myself. The only one I've really noticed was one time when I was on the way to Nipton, a few people attacked me on the rest stop before Nipton, and one of them went down like she was dead, and disappeared, then suddenly reappeard standing up from the wall!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only 3 hours in, but I'm really loving this game. To me at least, it feels a lot more like "Fallout" than Fallout 3 did. I liked Fallout 3 a lot, but something about the atmosphere, characters, and writing feel much more like the old games to me. I'm sure the setting has a lot to do with this, as well.

I haven't experienced any bugs or performance issues (Core 2 Quad, 4GB DDR2, Radeon 5870, Windows 7 64 bit), but I'm making sure I keep multiple saves just in case.

edit: I'm also playing in hardcore mode, and while I haven't much noticed the differences yet, I already enjoy it more just knowing that I have to keep track of food, water, and sleep. It makes my scavenging that much more meaningful!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm so far just putzing around outside
Goodsprings
. I tried going north and got totally wasted by a baby Deathclaw. It's actually taking some getting used to not being a level 20+ godlike character from FO3 with instant AP refill if I kill something in VATS. Has anyone found any good safe containers to put loot in? I've not really visited many places, but I'm already over-encumbered.

HK-47 said:
So the same as every other WRPG since forever?

All RPG's have min max potential, but none has ever been as bad as the Fallout series, by a LONG shot. The games just become way to easy that any and all challenge is gone halfway through.

Does anyone have a link to the d3d file to download and place in the game folder that improves performance? I'm wary of all the links out there.

BattleMonkey said:
The games just become way to easy that any and all challenge is gone halfway through.
I'm not following whether or not you think this is a bad thing. So, maxing out guns and stealth makes the game too easy? Well, the fix to that seems to me to be "don't put all your points into stealth and guns and instead try other optimizations."

Top Bottom