• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Ravidrath

So anyone playing the PS3 version? I'd like to know how buggy it is, or how bad the bugs are.

With the promise of a patch on the way, I'm wondering if I should start now or hold off until the patch arrives.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
avcables said:
So far nothing has been reported to be game-breaking of any sort. Minor graphical glitches and NPC bugs but other than that, I haven't heard anything.

GF has it freeze twice on her, but just had to restart her 360 both times.

Jubbly said:
Has anyone done the Oh My Papa quest? I think I'm bugged :(

I've got the Legion guy's journal but the game won't let me use it as the evidence to convince Regis that Legion are evil. I have no quest markers and no idea what else I can do here. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else I have to go to or someone else I have to speak to?
Yeah i cant figure out this quest either. It sends me to east bumfuck with the markers and i cant find shit. Spoilers. Pack of giant fucking scorpions await thee.

Despera

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
I have to say, playing through this game has a very different feel than Fallout 3. In FO3, you pretty much wander, with some direction given, but basically go where the hell ever. In NV, the roads and highways become much more of a travel artery, as well they should be, and the wasteland when walking off of the roads can become more dangerous more quickly than in FO3.

Last night, I'm headed from Nipton (very well done and unexpected what happened there,
Legion seemed rather gimmicky and silly to me, but that helped ground them for me
) to Novac (love how that name developed). I notice a weird depression in a cliff face, not unlike Minecraft where a large dark cave is opening. I start heading there when I simultaneously get the compass point, the name of the cave (forgot it offhand) and attacked by some denizens of it outside: 8 nightstalkers.

What's a nightstalker?

250px-Rattledog.jpg

From Fallout Wiki:

I think I made a little tinkle in my shorts when they jumped me. Also, that large opening lead to a separate cave system.

I went into the cave and melee'd every last one of 'em to death. Didn't find anything inside though. I was hoping for something worth the effort.

Double D

DarthWoo said:
You've got to be careful with him too, because I fast traveled back to Primm right after I told him to come on down, and right as I spawn there are two random Powder Ganger spawns fighting him. I was dumb enough to quicksave right as I spawned but before I noticed the fight, so I had to reload a few times to rescue him in time, for he is a pitiful fighter.

So the whole sherrif thing,
I could never figure out how to get him a pardon. Maybe I talked to the guy at the Mojave camp about Hayes and that locked me out from getting a pardon? I just thought it was weird, because I got the ok to send additional troops, but was holding off until I could get the pardon, and then I figured I would jusy make a decision then. But, I could never figure out how to get the dude a pardon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vik_Vaughn said:
So the whole sherrif thing,
I could never figure out how to get him a pardon. Maybe I talked to the guy at the Mojave camp about Hayes and that locked me out from getting a pardon? I just thought it was weird, because I got the ok to send additional troops, but was holding off until I could get the pardon, and then I figured I would jusy make a decision then. But, I could never figure out how to get the dude a pardon.

You're talking to the wrong guy. I had the same issue.

About the companions. Why does the splash screen say you can have two? Is there a way to get more than one follower?

WanderingWind said:

About the companions. Why does the splash screen say you can have two? Is there a way to get more than one follower?
If there is, I haven't found a way to do so. I have one follower right now and found another person that wants to join up with me. I can't let that person join though, I think I have to let my other companion go first. I'd rather they just both tag along....

Ravidrath said:
So anyone playing the PS3 version? I'd like to know how buggy it is, or how bad the bugs are.

With the promise of a patch on the way, I'm wondering if I should start now or hold off until the patch arrives.
I'd like to know too. Even aside from the bugs. How does it run in general?

Double D

WanderingWind said:

Which guy do I need to talk to? I even went in the back and talked to some other dude who was supposedly in charge of everything, but he gave me a quest to go clear out some ants. I did it, thinking I'd get a favor out of him, but no dice. Not that it matters at this point, but I'd still like to know.

Ravidrath said:

I havent run into a whole lot of problems 4 hrs into the game. It seems just as buggy as everything else which makes sense. Most of these bugs are not platform dependent. Go ahead and get it. The patch will come :D

DidntKnowJack said:
I'd like to know too. Even aside from the bugs. How does it run in general?

So, there are pauses all the time about a second long. Quite honestly its much more annoying than any other bugs. I think I read the 360 has the same issue? Maybe not.

Rektash

Hmm, dual core 3ghz, 4gb ram and an 8800GT and 20-30fps on medium. I think I did most of the tweaks in this thread. Not pleased at all, I guess i'll wait until the end of the year since I planned on buying a new pc around that time :-/.

F3 did run a lot better on my rig.

randomwab

Just came home to find my PC Collector's Edition. Yes!

But Steam doesn't unlock the game for Europe for another couple of hours! No!

Zeliard

Game runs so smoothly now after the d3d9.dll and config tweaks. Rarely dips below 50 fps outside on Ultra and it often hovers at around 60.

WanderingWind said:

You can have one humanoid follower and one non-humanoid follower. There are two non-humanoid followers in the game

Rektash said:
Hmm, dual core 3ghz, 4gb ram and an 8800GT and 20-30fps on medium. I think I did most of the tweaks in this thread. Not pleased at all, I guess i'll wait until the end of the year since I planned on buying a new pc around that time :-/.

F3 did run a lot better on my rig.
Christ, there's no way this would run on my laptop. I. Need. A. Desktop.

Zeliard

Varna said:
I've been going through the Fallout 3 tweak guide... a lot of useful things that could help in this game.

Yeah good reminder. I'm going through it to see if I can bump up some of the visual quality through the cfg (i.e. increasing the shadow map resolution) now that I have the game running very smoothly.

avcables

Banned
Datwheezy said:
GF has it freeze twice on her, but just had to restart her 360 both times.
Yea, some people have freezing issues. With the frequency you SHOULD be saving at, though, the restart's shouldn't be really game-breaking.

Freeside
is awesome. Spent like 3 hours doing quests around there. The only problem is that the stores and locations are a bit too far spread out and the loading times just keep getting longer and longer.. (frame-rate drops too). But the characters in that area of the wasteland are so awesome and fleshed out.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Ravidrath said:

I'd take the plunge if I were you. I ran into a weird issue where the game thought I was over encumbered when I wasn't, but I solved it by waiting an hour in game.

If you played Oblivion or Fallout 3 on the PS3, this is mostly more of the same performancewise, although the controls are much better. I haven't seen any game killing bugs yet and I'm 8 hours in.

jax (old)

Banned
man, you need skill levels 50+ lockpick/science etc to get through some of the places I was just in. I'm sure they want you to use the skillbooks or somehting but right now, I can't even get past the few doors here.

here being ret
conn

There's something to be said about roaming the map to find locales so you can travel back later to explore. Tempted to just roam around for a bit

Steve Youngblood said:
Just out of curiosity, which performance issues are you still noticing?

I made a save right before
the fight to save Ringo from the Powder Gangers.
Before the patch, the fight went relatively smoothly. After the patch, the fight was a stuttering mess and my frame rate in general has been lower.

Here are the specs for my notebook

# Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53 GHz
# 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 2 SODIMM Slots
# NVidia GTS 360M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR5 dedicated VRAM

I'm running the game at on high @ 720p. When I dropped it down to medium, I didn't notice much of an improvement. My notebook isn't a beast desktop but it should be able to handle this much.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I made a save right before
the fight to save Ringo from the Powder Gangers.
Before the patch, the fight went relatively smoothly. After the patch, the fight was a stuttering mess and my frame rate in general has been lower.

Here are the specs for my notebook

# Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53 GHz
# 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 2 SODIMM Slots
# NVidia GTS 360M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR5 dedicated VRAM

I'm running the game at on high @ 720p. When I dropped it down to medium, I didn't notice much of an improvement. My notebook isn't a beast desktop but it should be able to handle this much.
I don't know how to explain the frame rate going down after that patch, but are you using the d3d9.dll file from the NewVegasNexus forums? If not, it might be worth a shot. Using that (and that specifically, not just copying from Windows) made the biggest impact for me. If you've already done that, then yeah, I've got nothing. There are other .ini optimizations I'm sure you've come across, but the improvement has generally been marginal.

Steve Youngblood said:
I don't know how to explain the frame rate going down after that patch, but are you using the d3d9.dll file from the NewVegasNexus forums? If not, it might be worth a shot. Using that (and that specifically, not just copying from Windows) made the biggest impact for me. If you've already done that, then yeah, I've got nothing. There are other .ini optimizations I'm sure you've come across, but the improvement has generally been marginal.

I haven't tried the different .dll file yet. I'll try it when I get home from work.

aasoncott

The DLL hack has worked wonders, but I found that I had to disable my second monitor -- otherwise, the game would just crash on launch.

epmode

VibratingDonkey said:
E6850
2GB
8800GTX

Thinking of swapping my 360 pre-order to the PC version. Is this a good idea?
I run with a 9800 GTX which is almost the same card. It gives good framerates on my 3 year old computer, even at 2560x1600.

I have a lot more RAM but I'm not sure how much that really affects the framerate after 2 GB.

TeTr1C

Eleven hours in on the PS3 version, and I've had one hard freeze so far. A good amount of hitches that last a second when traversing the wastes though, but I've been used to that since Oblivion. It's very much worth getting if you're on the fence about this version.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a shovel? :D

Zeliard

TeTr1C said:
Eleven hours in on the PS3 version, and I've had one hard freeze so far. A good amount of hitches that last a second when traversing the wastes though, but I've been used to that since Oblivion. It's very much worth getting if you're on the fence about this version.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a shovel? :D

You should be able to buy one from the general store in the first town.

Brinbe

Jax said:
man, you need skill levels 50+ lockpick/science etc to get through some of the places I was just in. I'm sure they want you to use the skillbooks or somehting but right now, I can't even get past the few doors here.

here being ret
conn

There's something to be said about roaming the map to find locales so you can travel back later to explore. Tempted to just roam around for a bit
:lol I learned my lesson from FO3 and started pumping skill points into those two areas (lockpick/science) ASAP, because I hate having to leave those doors/computers/etc unopened and having to comeback later.

So far, so good on that! At about level 10 right now and both skills are at slightly above 50 pts, so I can get into average safes/computers at least. Also have guns @ 90+, so I'm still okay in combat.

Ledsen

VibratingDonkey said:
E6850
2GB
8800GTX

yes, I just did and my graphics card is only a bit worse than yours I reckon (Ati 5650 mobile).

kaskade

I'm still debating with myself on whether or not I should get this. I played Fallout 3 for a few hours but I couldn't really get into it. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't get far enough for the game to really get it's hooks in me or something. Same thing kind of happened with me with Mass Effect. I played it for a bit but didn't really get into it. Went back a few months before ME2 came out and loved it.

Thrakier said:
Any comparisons between 360 and PS3? Is the PS3 port better this time? The last one sucked, did it?

Here's a picture comparison.

ygm4w.jpg

Looks similar to the Fallout 3 situation. 4xAA + probably better framerate on 360 versus texture advantages on PS3: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=23432

MirageDwarf said:
Well, the master race got solutions for lots of big problems on its own. :D

Well, it's still amusing to see you guys messing around with dlls and having framerate problems on expensive rigs :D

edit: example for higher res PS3 textures

xbox360rolloverslide01.jpg

ps3rolloverslide01.jpg

g23

European pre-madonna
Can someone please list the key differences between the ps3 and 360 versions? Which is better graphically, framerate, etc...

Thanks

heringer said:

If you
become a member of the Kings in Freeside, there's a hair stylist you can talk to that opens up the face generation screen again.
But I don't know if you can change more than your hair.

GreekWolf

VibratingDonkey said:
E6850
2GB
8800GTX

I've alternated between my 360 copy and watching my friend play on his PC (I'm not certain of his specs, but he does have a GTX 470), and have been pleasantly surprised by how well the console version holds up.

Obviously, you'll get the best visual experience running on a good rig, but the 360 game certainly looks very nice. My game hasn't crashed or experienced any noticeable glitches in over 10 hours of play. However, if mods are your thing, then it's a no-brainer.

delirium

I really hope someone makes a mod that brings the Fallout 3 content to New Vegas using the new engine. It's so much better than Fallout 3 (hardcore mode, iron sight, crafting and weapon mods system).

I know FWE does a lot of it, but the mod is terrible. It makes everything way too hard.

Double D

VibratingDonkey said:
E6850
2GB
8800GTX

I've got really similar specs and played FO3 on the PC, but went with the 360 version for New Vegas. Granted, I haven't popped in FO3 in a while, but I feel like I'm getting an identical graphical experience.

Edit: ^^^ Oohhhh, there were no iron sights in FO3, huh? I thought that felt different.

Day off today, gonna play all god damn day! Fuck yeah! I've put in a couple hours so far and I'm digging it. I'm debating on whether to go and pick up some chinese take out before I start playing.. hmm.

Top Bottom