• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
heringer said:

I think after the starting area (which should take you about 2 hours) there is a point where you can reskill and (I think) also reskin.

Double D

sw33tclyde said:
Day off today, gonna play all god damn day! Fuck yeah! I've put in a couple hours so far and I'm digging it. I'm debating on whether to go and pick up some chinese take out before I start playing.. hmm.

Just make sure you get something. I know if I was in your position, I'd end up where the sun was going down and I had only eaten a half bag of chips or something :lol
Have fun!!

epmode said:
I run with a 9800 GTX which is almost the same card. It gives good framerates on my 3 year old computer, even at 2560x1600.

I have a lot more RAM but I'm not sure how much that really affects the framerate after 2 GB.
Ledsen said:
yes, I just did and my graphics card is only a bit worse than yours I reckon (Ati 5650 mobile).
GreekWolf said:
I've alternated between my 360 copy and watching my friend play on his PC (I'm not certain of his specs, but he does have a GTX 470), and have been pleasantly surprised by how well the console version holds up.

Obviously, you'll get the best visual experience running on a good rig, but the 360 game certainly looks very nice. My game hasn't crashed or experienced any noticeable glitches in over 10 hours of play. However, if mods are your thing, then it's a no-brainer.
Vik_Vaughn said:
I've got really similar specs and played FO3 on the PC, but went with the 360 version for New Vegas. Granted, I haven't popped in FO3 in a while, but I feel like I'm getting an identical graphical experience.

Edit: ^^^ Oohhhh, there were no iron sights in FO3, huh? I thought that felt different.
Thanks all. Sounds like I'll get at least comparable performance, only it's cheaper and there'll be mods. So PC it is.

The Hut order status said:
Awaiting Despatch

Processing Cancellation
Or well, depending on which process prevails.

Ugh... I really wanted to play the game last night, but only got about 30 minutes in. I felt compelled to watch my Giants continue their march to the World Series.

But the 30 minutes I did play, I went over to the NCRCF. I'm already frowned on by the powder gangers so I decided to dress like them to gain access to the CF. The guard at front door knew I wasn't one of them immediately. So I paid him off with done caps so he'd let me roll in. As soon as I ended my dialog with him, he decided to take shots at
my buddy, ED-E
. I guess he just felt threatened by the little guy. I'm playing on hardcore so I can't let my biddy die or he's gone forever. So I whip out my Cowboy Repeater and blow his head off. Then three more powder gang bangers run out the front door to attack us. I promptly wreck them as well. I decided that the jig was up so my buddy and I high tailed for the hills. We took a few bullets from the tower guards, but escaped relatively unscathed.

I'm now "shunned" by the Powder Gang.
I know there is a way to join up with the NCR for an assault on prison. I learned from watching a stream over the weekend. And I know that have to talk to the head dude in charge to initiate that quest line
. So now that I'm shunned, am I completely screwed out of any possible quests in the CF?

I don't mind killing them all, but I like to complete quests. :lol

Max

I am not Max
FleckSplat said:
Well, if it's your first playthrough, you can't exactly compare and contrast...

Although, I've heard
Indiana Jones' skeleton in the fridge
is due to Wild Wasteland.
Oh I saw that, that's actually really funny now

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
Rock Paper Shotgun just posted a Wot I Think about the game and goddamn do they rip it a new one.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/21/wot-i-think-fallout-new-vegas/

I like how he managed to make the screens jpeg'd to shit to make the game look even uglier than it already does.

Shame Quintin Smith didn't enjoy it, but seriously:

"nothing as eerie or inventive as Little Lamplight."

:lol

Those little kids were so awful. I hated that entire quest line and area. The ability to off kids from Fallout 1 and 2 was deeply missed during that time.

He praises Fallout 3 in ways that only have me thinking "rose-tinted glasses."

Dresden

Zeliard said:
Shame Quintin Smith didn't enjoy it, but seriously:

"nothing as eerie or inventive as Little Lamplight."

:lol

Those little kids were so awful. I hated that entire quest line and area. The ability to off kids from Fallout 1 and 2 was deeply missed during that time.

He praises Fallout 3 in ways that only have me thinking "rose-tinted glasses."
This is Fallout 3 we're talking about--it'd be green-tinted glasses.

But yeah, serious case of misplaced nostalgia there. We might not have giant robots anymore but New Vegas has been more challenging and enjoyable than un-modded FO3 ever was.

Lothars

Reluctant-Hero said:
I don't mind killing them all, but I like to complete quests. :lol

I went through and killed them all last night so I am hoping I didn't screw up a quest but I will keep going and see.

Cheech

Lothars said:
I went through and killed them all last night so I am hoping I didn't screw up a quest but I will keep going and see.

I emptied half that place out with a broad machete. Will go back once I re-stock on Stimpacks. :lol

I love this game.

Smokey

I played this game all day yesterday...ashamed to say how long I spent on it :lol.

I think my game clock is at 16 or so hrs, and I've had it since tues afternoon. Love it. Crack in disc form man. I've only had one lockup in my 16 or so hrs of play (360) and no weird glitches or bugs yet during my time.

Soo much to do in this game its silly. My guy is at level 12 and I've got at least 7-9 quests that I can do at anytime and I haven't even hot the strip yet (have the pass to get in just haven't yet).

Loving the game and is definitely one of my favorites of the year.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I do love walking along and just running into a shootout between two factions. Regardless of whether I rush into try and help one or the other, or just pick off the survivor, it's nice for looting. I have found lately that it seems that some merchants never get any more caps in, at least specifically any who
give discounts after certain quests, nearly bringing everything to its actual value for selling or buying.
Am I just not waiting long enough, or do those merchants never get their funds replenished? Or is it all merchants in general?

Smokey

Darkshier said:
If there is, I haven't found a way to do so. I have one follower right now and found another person that wants to join up with me. I can't let that person join though, I think I have to let my other companion go first. I'd rather they just both tag along....
I have a robot dog and another lady with me as my companions.

mrpeabody

No matter how much I remind myself there's going to be half-assed design and gamebreaking bugs, it's still disheartening to see it happen.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is there a list of all the Main quests anywhere?

The list on the fallout wiki can't be all there is.

Right off the bat, I'm definitely not as impressed with New Vegas as I was with Fallout 3. The whole country twang thing just isn't as appealing as a modern metropolis. To be fair though, I haven't gotten to the strip yet.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Interrobanger said:
Right off the bat, I'm definitely not as impressed with New Vegas as I was with Fallout 3. The whole country twang thing just isn't as appealing as a modern metropolis. To be fair though, I haven't gotten to the strip yet.

It sort of progresses like a GTA. Small time to big time. Wait till you approach the strip, its pretty cool.

The Interrobanger said:

??? Outside of Downtown DC it was all barren wasteland dotted by small towns and outposts. Downtown sucked anyway, way too many blocked off paths.

Fallout 3 is my favorite game maybe ever. I just don't think Vegas is as interesting as Washington DC, without the themes of nationalism, the interesting locales, and so forth.

Should I get this game or not, GAF? Tell me what you think.

graywolf323

vas_a_morir said:
Fallout 3 is my favorite game maybe ever. I just don't think Vegas is as interesting as Washington DC, without the themes of nationalism, the interesting locales, and so forth.

Fallout 3's locale was more interesting me solely because I grew up in Northern Virginia :lol

otherwise I'd say New Vegas has a better locale

Red Blaster said:
??? Outside of Downtown DC it was all barren wasteland dotted by small towns and outposts. Downtown sucked anyway, way too many blocked off paths.

The subway tunnels, huge "capitol"-like buildings, etc.

I'm only a couple hours into NV, so I'm sure they'll be a lot more cool locales to come. Just saying that my first impression is a little underwhelming in terms of locations.

I restarted my character last night and switched to Trigger Discipline. I was reading that Fast Shot caps VATS accuracy at 76% and that shit isn't going to fly with me. I'd rather sneak around and use accurate critical hits for my damage.

BlueTsunami

vas_a_morir said:

I like the Ranger setting in this and I like the diminished Brotherhood of Steel presence in this mainly because they were cooler as a mysterious organization instead of the Medal of Honor shit in FO3.

Despera

Banned
Lothars said:

I did the same thing. I thought maybe if I get a quest from the NCR to get rid of 'em I'll just choose that it's already done.

avcables

Banned
NZa5RRZ

Game rocks.

Anyone comparisons of the different versions? I understand Fallout 3 was inferior on PS3, but in general, I prefer playing games on that console if possible, so...

Red Blaster said:
PS3 version has better textures, 360's got more AA it seems.

Cool, thanks. I'm guessing there's not a huge frame rate difference? Under the circumstances I think I'd narrowly favour the superior textures, so PS3 it (tentatively) is.

Just started a new game. Quick question, should one of my main focused skills be 'Energy Weapons'? or focus more on 'Repair'?

So in the end it would be:

Guns
Repair
Science

OR

Energy Weapons
Guns
Science

?

Thanks.

MikeE21286 said:
non-hdmi 360 w/ no component cables?

Yep.

When I was living abroad, I bought a PS3 (Which now fucks my ass hard with the new Netflix update) and I bought HDMI for my loaner HD tv.

I just NOW bought a HD tv a month ago, so I'm new to the game. However, I bought my Xbox years ago, so I only got SD cables for that one. Plus, My xbox isn't hooked up right now, and I'd like to keep it that way until I move to my new house.

owlbeak

JWong said:
Played 10 hours. I feel absolutely no creativeness out of this. It feels exactly the same as Fallout 3.
True, not necessarily a bad thing per se given how good FO3 was, but I would liked to have seen updated graphics engine, UI, and other things. Seems more like an expansion pack, however I've only played about three hours.

JoeBoy101

Labombadog said:
Just started a new game. Quick question, should one of my main focused skill be 'Energy Weapons'? or focus more on 'Repair'?

Thanks.

Repair will be more useful and Energy Weapons, though present much earlier in this one than in FO3, are still hard to find and fairly absent in the early game. Still, they are hard hitting, have good upper ranges of damage, are harder to resist and, important if playing with iron sights, they have NO recoil (at least lasers don't).

JoeBoy101 said:
Repair will be more useful and Energy Weapons, though present much earlier in this one than in FO3, are still hard to find and fairly absent in the early game. Still, they are hard hitting, have good upper ranges of damage, are harder to resist and, important if playing with iron sights, they have NO recoil (at least lasers don't).

So should I focus on these three? Energy Weapons, Guns, and Repair ?

Despera

Banned
JWong said:
Played 10 hours. I feel absolutely no creativeness out of this. It feels exactly the same as Fallout 3.

Exactly what I've been saying. I'm enjoying the game, but it doesn't feel like Fallout 3.5. I'd say more like Fallout 3.01

Dresden

Labombadog said:
So should I focus on these three? Energy Weapons, Guns, and Repair ?
No. If you want repair, take Guns, as they synergize quite well. You don't want two weapon skills, usually--for that third slot, take something like Speech or Lockpicking.

JWong

Banned
Horsebite said:
True, not necessarily a bad thing per se given how good FO3 was, but I would liked to have seen updated graphics engine, UI, and other things. Seems more like an expansion pack, however I've only played about three hours.
I would like to have seen any improvement. I feel like there are none at all.

I didn't really like FO3 that much too.

We've been surprisingly light on impressions for the PC patch.

Bethesda said:
"We have just released an automatic update for the PC version of Fallout: New Vegas that resolves quest and scripting issues,"

Has anyone noticed any (stealth) performance increases?

I just started a new game too. I actually see no perks at the first skill level that I like.

They're all "you get this, BUT this bad thing happens". Which basically nets you a gain of zero. Are the later perks better and without that nagging "But......."?

SlipperySlope said:
They're all "you get this, BUT this bad thing happens". Which basically nets you a gain of zero. Are the later perks better and without that nagging "But......."?

That's what I thought. The ones that seemed to be the least balanced were wild wasteland and the melee one. That's what I went with...

BlueTsunami

JWong said:
I would like to have seen any improvement. I feel like there are none at all.

I didn't really like FO3 that much too.

You should have probably waited for Fallout 4. I don't believe this game was ever hyped as 100% new content (as in art assets too). Its using the same engine that FO3 used and its using the same assets. other than that FO3 "wastelands" are very different than New Vegas's plus the green color filter is gone. And thats all visuals the base game is different in a few places.

Top Bottom