• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Plasma

Banned
I hate the release date protection on games for the PC, I have a copy of the game right here in my hand but I can't play it until midnight.

My only option is to pre-load but again I have the disc so what is the point.

avcables

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Are there game breaking bugs on the 360 version?
No spoil please.
So far nothing has been reported to be game-breaking of any sort. Minor graphical glitches and NPC bugs but other than that, I haven't heard anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark10x said:
By the way, anyone know of any post processing mods available for this or Fallout 3? One of the things contributing to its now somewhat dated appearance is the lack of any sort of environmental post processing. You know, some heat waves, distance blur, SOMETHING. Would definitely help a lot.

Gamebyro falters worst in its lighting and shadows. Textures and post processing is questionable, but fuck does it do a terrible job of adding proper light and shadow depth to the world.

dark10x said:
I've used that dll from the beginning, but decided to remove it and see what happens. I'm pretty surprised by how much worse the game can run without it. On screen NPCs absolutely kill the framerate for no reason. How could anyone play this out of the box? Microstuttering and huge slowdown when NPCs appear would ruin it. Some light tweaking definitely solved everything, though, and the framerate has been perfect.

By the way, anyone know of any post processing mods available for this or Fallout 3? One of the things contributing to its now somewhat dated appearance is the lack of any sort of environmental post processing. You know, some heat waves, distance blur, SOMETHING. Would definitely help a lot.

Outside of the dll what else did you do?

I used the dll and installed the newest nvidia drivers, but I'm still not getting optimal performance. GTX460 and I'm getting Sub 30s on Ultra, there's no way this game should do that. Seemingly like everyone has said, it dips the hardest when NPCs come onto the screen. Also gettin some very noticeable and distracting artificating (white and green blips on the screen)

Zeliard

Max said:
fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini found in documents>my games>falloutnv folder

Increase FPS on multicore systems:

In fallout.ini
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 (or 4 for quad)

Remove Mouse Acceration:

In falloutprefs.ini add this under [controls]:
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0

Change the Field of View:

In fallout.ini
Ctrl+F "fov" and change that shit to 90.

El bump.

Zeliard

MikeE21286 said:
Thanks. I'll give that multicore one a try. The mouse one has worked well for me already :)

Don't forget about the fov. Makes it feel a lot less cramped and you can see more of the landscape. Fov 75 is just silly - it should never been less than 90.

Edit: also, I've been changing/adding those values in both fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini in My Games/Fallout NV folder, and fallout_default.ini in the main folder, just to make sure. It's also a good idea to change fallout.ini to read-only after you've tweaked it.

LALILULELO said:
Just have stealth killed the whole NCR correctional facility of powder gangers, first sniped all guard tower guards from afar then disguised myself as one and went in.
Waited for nightfall then butchered them sleeping in their beds one by one :lol

After my killing spree quest failed appeared though..against the law..so I guess i was supposed to do something there later as I didn't have that quest in my list yet.

I did the same, only not nearly as stealthy. They attacked me when I got close so I retaliated. Hope the quest wasn't anything special...

My UK collectors edition just arrived, number 2769 out of 6650, didn't realise they weren't making many of them (guessing its just an EU thing)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MikeE21286 said:

I used the dll and installed the newest nvidia drivers, but I'm still not getting optimal performance. GTX460 and I'm getting Sub 30s on Ultra, there's no way this game should do that. Seemingly like everyone has said, it dips the hardest when NPCs come onto the screen. Also gettin some very noticeable and distracting artificating (white and green blips on the screen)
Someone already posted some of them, but for me, the most important one was...

"ifpsclamp = 60"

You can find this in the fallout.ini. If you leave it at 0 you get constant microstuttering. At 60, it looks totally smooth. Downside? If your framerate drops below 60 fps, the game actually runs in slow motion. As the game now holds 60 fps 99% of the time (outside of occasional minor hitches while combing the landscape), however, it is not a problem.

the dll file + the multi core and mouse accel tweaks fixed the game 100% for me. Works like a dream now, played 4 hours straight at 60fps, no crashes, bugs, or performance issues.

I take a pretty significant performance hit while walking in the small NCR camp just outside of Primm. I tried the multicore setting in the fallout.ini file and copying d3d9.dll file to the application directory but that really didn't seem to help. Anyone else seeing this? It isn't unplayable, just a lot of annoying stuttering. I think I might try setting the number of threads to 2 instead of 4 when I get home.

My specs are:
i7 930
HD 5850
4 GB DDR3

dark10x said:
Someone already posted some of them, but for me, the most important one was...

"ifpsclamp = 60"

You can find this in the fallout.ini. If you leave it at 0 you get constant microstuttering. At 60, it looks totally smooth. Downside? If your framerate drops below 60 fps, the game actually runs in slow motion. As the game now holds 60 fps 99% of the time (outside of occasional minor hitches while combing the landscape), however, it is not a problem.

That actually sounds promising. I'll try that.

Sanic

Speech is so incredibly useful that i'm putting a majority of my points into it (10+) every time I level up, but i'm concerned thats going to cause a lot of issues for me later on, especially with regard to combat. Better hope my companion doesn't die!

Amneisac

My frame rate is fine, but I'm getting weird graphical glitches, like white dots and stuff, is anyone else experiencing this? I'm going to apply the other tweaks when I get home since they seem to work 100% for everyone, but what about these other issues? I remember someone else mentioning it earlier. It's like my GPU is overheating but it's between 30-50c the whole time.

jax (old)

Banned
played a bit more tonight. The writing isn't great but the game mechanically is fun. More fallout I guess. Level 5 now. I'm focused a bit on speech and science (INT is now 8) and I think I might regret it down the line. :p

There's also added value to doing the quest bits where possible as you rack up a lot more exp when you clear them. killing bugs and scorpions for 1exp? Fukkkk k that

I like the survival crafting option the game presents. But campfires are rare and I've yet to find a workbench of sorts. Still early I guess. I miss having access to a base like megaton city early on.

Amneisac

Jax said:
played a bit more tonight. The writing isn't great but the game mechanically is fun. More fallout I guess. Level 5 now. I'm focused a bit on speech and science (INT is now 8) and I think I might regret it down the line. :p

There's also added value to do the quest bits where possible as you rack up a lot more exp when you clear them. killing bugs and scorpions for 1exp? Fukkkk k that.

I don't know about New Vegas, but at least in Fallout 3 more INT was never bad because of the increased skill points every level. I kind of hate how min/maxy these games become. I'm trying to keep myself from thinking about the best way to build my character and just build him / play the way I want to. So far it's been going well, but I'm level 2 and I've already re-rolled once.

Sigh.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is the soundtrack of the radio as Awesome a fallout 3?

jax (old)

Banned
Amneisac said:
I don't know about New Vegas, but at least in Fallout 3 more INT was never bad because of the increased skill points every level. I kind of hate how min/maxy these games become. I'm trying to keep myself from thinking about the best way to build my character and just build him / play the way I want to. So far it's been going well, but I'm level 2 and I've already re-rolled once.

Sigh.

There's that and the level cap. I know its very early on, but you really have to plan for growth. I like that they removed big guns and made the skills based a bit more focused.

I like the radio. Lovely oldschool throwback tunes.

Primm question:
I went to the NCR correctional facility and talked to the sheriff there. He agreed to be the sheriff and ran off. However, I have no idea where he went. Do I have to do something else? Oddly enough it doesnt even show up as an option under the quest menu now.

TheExecutive said:
Primm question:
I went to the NCR correctional facility and talked to the sheriff there. He agreed to be the sheriff and ran off. However, I have no idea where he went. Do I have to do something else? Oddly enough it doesnt even show up as an option under the quest menu now.

You have to get a pardon for him from NCR at Mojave Outpost. I found him wandering around Primm after that.

What does that dll do anyway? I tried it out but couldn't get past the launcher - every time I click play it just auto-detects my settings again and again.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Really digging the game so far. I'm in Primm right now. I'm only like level 3, so I have a ways to go. Got to say I like the environment in this one a lot more than in Fallout 3. That game got kind of depressing after a while :lol

Dyno

Kurtofan said:
No spoil please.

360 version plays as good as Fallout 3 - which is to say good enough. I've seen almost nothing but expect to hit some minor gliches eventually.

schennmu said:
LOL @ the master race in this thread.

They were once the noble lords of great houses.

Despera

Banned
Kurtofan said:
No spoil please.

Well, I encountered this bug/glitch where I can't see the screen for the lockpick mini-game. I go to a door and then try to lockpick it only for a terminal screen to pop-up out of nowhere and block the view.

You can still perform the lockpick successfully just by audio and rumble feedback, but I had to restart my 360 to get rid of it.

This occurred right after
re-powering and accessing the Helios One mainframe terminal. I chose the option to use Emergency Output.

Also, To finish the side quest I had to talk to this guy named
Rivas
who has an infinte XP glitch. He gives away 385 XP + 3 Stimpacks + 2 Doctor's Bags for each time you click on a specific dialogue option. Two bugs in one side quest! :lol

Ledsen

kai3345 said:
this makes zero sense

Unless I misunderstood you, you revealed that
the unknown person who shoots you in the beginning is the same guy you're trying to find throughout the whole game.

jax (old)

Banned
GDGF said:
Really digging the game so far. I'm in Primm right now. I'm only like level 3, so I have a ways to go. Got to say I like the environment in this one a lot more than in Fallout 3. That game got kind of depressing after a while :lol

This has a lot more colour so it feels livieir. FO3 was mostly brown until you hit the grove with the forest.

FONV:

Greens in the vegetation.

Blue skies with wispy clouds

and life in the wasteland. BIrds in the sky. Crows on a rock formation that flies off when you approach.

dgenx said:
Is the soundtrack of the radio as Awesome a fallout 3?

I don't like it as much. It's pretty good, but it doesn't really have that many songs and they're split over 2 radio stations (3 if you count black mountain but that's really just a combination of the other 2 with hilarious banter "best friend Tabitha") so the songs repeat really quickly and kind of get old. And fucking "Johnny Guitar" seems to get played more than anything.

Still, it's not bad. Just needs more.

kai3345

Banned
Ledsen said:
Unless I misunderstood you, you revealed that
the unknown person who shoots you in the beginning is the same guy you're trying to find throughout the whole game.
well, yeah. The game tells you that in the first five minutes

Felix Lighter said:
I take a pretty significant performance hit while walking in the small NCR camp just outside of Primm. I tried the multicore setting in the fallout.ini file and copying d3d9.dll file to the application directory but that really didn't seem to help. Anyone else seeing this? It isn't unplayable, just a lot of annoying stuttering. I think I might try setting the number of threads to 2 instead of 4 when I get home.
Also, not that you didn't do this anyway, but did you copy the d3d9.dll file from your Windows directories, or download the one from NewVegasNexus? Copying existing ones from my harddrive really didn't help very much (though it did seem to help a little), but the file from NewVegasNexus helped immensely.

projekt84

Gonna play soon. Waiting for midterms week to end.

I really want to do Very Hard + Hardcore + Wild Wasteland with no VATS.

I played a runthrough of FO3 on Very Hard with no VATS or no stimpaks, and it was pretty challenging, except when I had dogmeat + fenix, with them it was still too easy.

I wonder if it'll be too tough.

sdornan

I honestly have only encountered a couple of bugs (the software type, that is) in the 360 version after about 9 hours of play, and neither of them were game-breaking. I can wholeheartedly recommend the 360 version, provided it doesn't go downhill from here.

nubbe said:
Is a frogs ass water tight?

I mean, yeah, I think it is. Unless it has some kind of venting system where water is passing through the frog's orifices for some reason. Evolution is a crazy thing so maybe I just don't know about it. Like some Wild Tanzanian River Frog or some shit. What kind of frog are we talking about here?

Steve Youngblood said:
Also, not that you didn't do this anyway, but did you copy the d3d9.dll file from your Windows directories, or download the one from NewVegasNexus? Copying existing ones from my harddrive really didn't help very much (though it did seem to help a little), but the file from NewVegasNexus helped immensely.

I did copy it from the windows directory on my own machine. I'll download the file when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

JoeBoy101

I have to say, playing through this game has a very different feel than Fallout 3. In FO3, you pretty much wander, with some direction given, but basically go where the hell ever. In NV, the roads and highways become much more of a travel artery, as well they should be, and the wasteland when walking off of the roads can become more dangerous more quickly than in FO3.

Last night, I'm headed from Nipton (very well done and unexpected what happened there,
Legion seemed rather gimmicky and silly to me, but that helped ground them for me
) to Novac (love how that name developed). I notice a weird depression in a cliff face, not unlike Minecraft where a large dark cave is opening. I start heading there when I simultaneously get the compass point, the name of the cave (forgot it offhand) and attacked by some denizens of it outside: 8 nightstalkers.

What's a nightstalker?

250px-Rattledog.jpg

From Fallout Wiki:

They appear to have a canine body, but with a rattlesnake-like head and tail. They also possess fangs, forked tongues, and snake-like eyes.

I think I made a little tinkle in my shorts when they jumped me. Also, that large opening lead to a separate cave system.

MikeE21286 said:

Amneisac said:
My frame rate is fine, but I'm getting weird graphical glitches, like white dots and stuff, is anyone else experiencing this? I'm going to apply the other tweaks when I get home since they seem to work 100% for everyone, but what about these other issues? I remember someone else mentioning it earlier. It's like my GPU is overheating but it's between 30-50c the whole time.

Turn AA off, after using all the fixes I was still getting the white flashes, and that made it go away.

jax (old)

Banned
projekt84 said:
Gonna play soon. Waiting for midterms week to end.

I really want to do Very Hard + Hardcore + Wild Wasteland with no VATS.

I played a runthrough of FO3 on Very Hard with no VATS or no stimpaks, and it was pretty challenging, except when I had dogmeat + fenix, with them it was still too easy.

I wonder if it'll be too tough.

I'm not playing hardcore mode but without vats? :lol :lol :lol

this isn't even fpsy. Bunch of raiders assault you, you're wearing leather armour and a couple of shots playing realtime and you're dead.

jax (old)

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
I start heading there when I simultaneously get the compass point, the name of the cave (forgot it offhand) and attacked by some denizens of it outside: 8 nightstalkers.

What's a nightstalker?

250px-Rattledog.jpg

From Fallout Wiki:

I think I made a little tinkle in my shorts when they jumped me. Also, that large opening lead to a separate cave system.

seriously? I was more like LOL look at that thing. Could have been wilddogs or those molethings from game 1. The wild animals all attack you the same. Geckos/wilddogs.. even the raiders carrying knives. They all run up to you. There's practically no AI to the enemies.

anyhow.. bam bam bam. I killed them and looted them. moved along.

Amneisac

Eel O'Brian said:
Turn AA off, after using all the fixes I was still getting the white flashes, and that made it go away.

Ok, I'll give that a shot, thanks for the heads up. (needless to say that's fucking bullshit if that's the problem)

JoeBoy101

Jax said:
seriously? I was more like LOL look at that thing. Could have been wilddogs or those molethings from game 1. The wild animals all attack you the same. Geckos/wilddogs.. even the raiders carrying knives. They all run up to you. There's practically no AI to the enemies.

anyhow.. bam bam bam. I killed them and looted them. moved along.

Well, it was more the suddenness of the attack and not seeing them until they were on me. Maybe I wasn't a high enough level, but they took a LOT of punishment to put down.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
TheExecutive said:
Primm question:

You've got to be careful with him too, because I fast traveled back to Primm right after I told him to come on down, and right as I spawn there are two random Powder Ganger spawns fighting him. I was dumb enough to quicksave right as I spawned but before I noticed the fight, so I had to reload a few times to rescue him in time, for he is a pitiful fighter.

Amneisac said:
Ok, I'll give that a shot, thanks for the heads up. (needless to say that's fucking bullshit if that's the problem)

Honestly, with everything else set to ultra and anisotropic filtering maxed, I barely notice the lack of AA.

Jubbly

Has anyone done the Oh My Papa quest? I think I'm bugged :(

I've got the Legion guy's journal but the game won't let me use it as the evidence to convince Regis that Legion are evil. I have no quest markers and no idea what else I can do here. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else I have to go to or someone else I have to speak to?

Top Bottom