• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

JoeBoy101

Dresden said:
No. If you want repair, take Guns, as they synergize quite well. You don't want two weapon skills, usually--for that third slot, take something like Speech or Lockpicking.

What he said. Of course, I took Melee with Guns and Science, but I Melee does nicely this time around, plus I wanted a more combat-centered Character.

Energy Weapons you can build up slowly over time and Tag it later with a perk, if necessary. Repair is significantly different compared how it worked in FO3 though. In FO3, your Repair skill represented your cap of how far you could repair your items. In NV, it represents how much you can repair your items from a single item. Also, I anticipate a high Repair might slow the degrade of items as well, though I'm speculating there

Speech is not as heavily used in NV, instead the conversational abilities are more spread out around different skills, be they Speech, Barter, Science, or even Explosives.

JWong

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
You should have probably waited for Fallout 4. I don't believe this game was ever hyped as 100% new content (as in art assets too). Its using the same engine that FO3 used and its using the same assets. other than that FO3 "wastelands" are very different than New Vegas's plus the green color filter is gone. And thats all visuals the base game is different in a few places.
Never followed any hype beyond "Original creators are doing it." So my perception is that it will have original creations.

Guess not.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JWong said:
Never followed any hype beyond "Original creators are doing it." So my perception is that it will have original creations.

Guess not.

Well it does have original creations. I've never seen an NCR trooper, Geckos and Nightkins etc in FO3. And this game is seen (from Bethesda) as a lateral release instead of being the true successor. Fallout 4 will be all new. I can't argue with people who call this a glorified expansion of sorts but its a very big one.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
darkjedi187 said:
Waht traits are people taking. four eyes and kamikaze seem good.

Dont take four eyes, as its adds + 1 perception requirements to perks, Kamikaze is a great choice, as Action Points are harder to come by in New Vegas.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I loved the look of Fallout 3, but the broader color palette sure makes for some beatiful VATS moments:

jr88xc.jpg

Deacan said:
Dont take four eyes, as its adds + 1 perception requirements to perks, Kamikaze is a great choice, as Action Points are harder to come by in New Vegas.

That shouldn't be a problem if I'm committed to wearing glasses at all times, right?

JWong

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Well it does have original creations. I've never seen an NCR trooper, Geckos and Nightkins etc in FO3. And this game is seen (from Bethesda) as a lateral release instead of being the true successor. Fallout 4 will be all new. I can't argue with people who call this a glorified expansion of sorts but its a very big one.
Ehhh I mean original game design.

BlueTsunami

Red Blaster said:
Speaking of Four Eyes, where can I find some glasses? I'm still pretty early in the game, just hit Nipton.

I found a pair in a random house in Goodsprings. Sitting on the living room table (simple reading glasses).

And I like the four eyes perk. I've got Four Eyes plus 8 perception starting out so I site at 9 perception. With a hat that provides perception I'm sitting at 10 Perception.

Red Blaster said:
Speaking of Four Eyes, where can I find some glasses? I'm still pretty early in the game, just hit Nipton.

Supposedly their is a pair in the docs house. Gonna go check for them tonight. And even with the per requirement raised 1 you till get an extra point you just need to always wear them.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Red Blaster said:

There are some reading glasses on the Doctor's desk in the room where you wake up. For some reason, he doesn't mind if you loot the shit out of his house.

ruxtpin

Banned
Does anyone have an idea what it means when you complete a quest and it displays a fraction, like "1/5 Quest Completed" ?

Has anyone had a problem with quests being marked complete, even though they're not?
Ringo is still holed up in the gas station, but it says the quest is complete even though I never took out the Powder Gangers or anything else.
... From a very early quest... Any help is appreciated.

Red Blaster said:

There was a pair in the Doc's house in the very beginning. I've also killed a few convicts wearing sun glasses. But what I really need is a nice pair of mirrored sun glasses to go with my sheriff hat.

anddo0

Can you keep companions locked away? If I leave one in a certain hotel room, will he still be there whenever I need him?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jamesfrom818 said:
I haven't tried the different .dll file yet. I'll try it when I get home from work.

Do that. I went from barely getting 30fps 80% of the time with dips into single digits to never dropping below mid 50's ever.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
darkjedi187 said:

I went with four eyes just because I wanted to play as a character who needs glasses. I have bad eye sight in real life, so it seemed kinda neat to have to deal with that in the game. I murdered some random guy for his Reading Glasses. My lady character looks pretty classy with them.

Are there any other types of eye glasses in the game? Alls I got is the reading glasses and the goggles. I want something more stylish looking, like those thick black rimmed glasses they wore back then.

ix38w.jpg

Yaweee

Can you still give yourself Stats via perks to the point where you can substantially improve beyond your starting Stats?

About 10 hours in now, still love it, still no bugs encountered. The game is significantly harder than 3 (in hardcore mode at least) and I'm loving it (PS3 ver).

Animator

Yaweee said:
Can you still give yourself Stats via perks to the point where you can substantially improve beyond your starting Stats?

Yes. Intense training perk.

You can also increase your stats with implants later on.

Stallion Free said:
Doc's glasses give +2 pereception alone according to the stats.

I thought the +2 perception was the Four Eyes perk in action. +1 to make up for the no glasses penalty and +1 for the glasses bonus. The sun glasses I found were also +2 perception.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stallion Free said:

Will murdering him screw up any of my quests? If he has no purpose anymore, I'll go ahead and harvest him for his nice glasses.

Stallion Free said:
I think that +2 is a result of taking the "Four Eyes" trait. My natural perception skill is 5. After picking "four eyes", and before equiping Doc's glasses, it dropped to 4. Putting on the glasses bumped me to 6 and then I found a baseball hat that added another point. So I'm rolling with 7 points in perception.

Basically, choosing "four eyes" makes the game automatically subtract 1 from your perception score. Then it gives any pair of glasses a +2 perception bonus.

Dresden

Wait, there's a pair of glasses in the doc's house? I waited all the way up to Nipton where I
murdered the lottery winner for his glasses.
:lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dresden said:
Wait, there's a pair of glasses in the doc's house? I waited all the way up to Nipton where I
murdered the lottery winner for his glasses.
:lol

Haha I killed the exact same guy for my first set of glasses. Actually, I killed him for the
lottery ticket
, the glasses were just a bonus. He sounded like a crazy person but I figured it was worth a shot anyways.
It's still in my inventory, waiting to be cashed in for my winnings.

That dll fix is a god send. My average FPS went from about 30 or lower to between 50-60 :D

Also, game is fucking awesome. Played about 4 hours last night and just got to (not really spoiler)
Primm

Had one crash to desktop and I think when it happened it reverted to old quick and auto saves but I've been doing a full save every 5-10 mins so I didn't lose anything much.

Obsidian has done a fantastic job in my opinion (although I'm only really just starting). I'm actually preferring New Vegas slightly to Fallout 3, in particular the writing. The iron sights combined with using a mouse makes the shooting mechanic feel better, I'm actually not relying on VATS as much as I did in Fallout 3. And the little cinematic camera thing when you kill and enemy (even without VATS) is a nice touch (I can't remember that being in Fallout 3 but I may be wrong).

Also the little extra challenge things (ie kill 10 of this, complete 5 of that) are a nice little added bonus.

Can't wait to get lost in this game over the weekend :D

iammeiam

daoster said:
Anybody here do the "I Put a Spell on You" quest?

Trying to look for the spy but he's not showing up?

Getting the timing right on this one took me a few tries, but basically:

Hack the terminal outside the control tower, and it'll tell you when specifically the spy makes his nightly radio transmissions. Then you need to be outside the tower at that time (I stayed hidden, I'm pretty sure if the spy sees you he won't go in the tower); once it's time for the radio call to happen, sneak in the tower and you should be able to hear him making a radio call. He wouldn't spawn for me if I sat in the tower and waited, I had to be outside.

Also worth noting: make sure to give him a few minutes buffer to 'get settled' before entering the tower. First time I found him, I bugged the quest by entering the tower while he was at the base of the stairs and some of the scripted stuff didn't happen properly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
And the little cinematic camera thing when you kill and enemy (even without VATS) is a nice touch (I can't remember that being in Fallout 3 but I may be wrong).

I do like this, it's pretty badass to see a fiend go down in slo mo after a head shot, but I don't like that your companion's kills set it off as well. It's kinda jarring when you're in the middle of combat or busy with something else and suddenly it switches to the slo mo kill cam.

Oh well, both of my companions will be dead soon so I guess it's no big deal :(

daoster said:
Anybody here do the "I Put a Spell on You" quest?

Trying to look for the spy but he's not showing up?
You have to show up at around 12:30am, when the shifts change (you gain that info from the employee log at the terminal of the tower).

EDIT: oh, and fair warning: pretty sure the quest is bugged at the end because I was unable to change the outcome.

mjc

So I did the quest to activate
E-DE, and I got him up and running. Since I already visited Nipton and the scrapyard there, I fast traveled to the scrapyard so he could meet with the old lady. Nothing happens when I go there with him in tow and I'm thinking that its a bug of some kind thats prohibiting me from moving the quest forward.
The inner OCD in me is freaking out everytime I see my quest list now. :(

darkjedi187 said:

Glasses take up the head slot like hats and helmets. You're not only giving up 1 point of PER, but any protection from headshots with Four-eyes.

Lakitu

st5fu
Gah lots of people talking about quests and asking for help, I damn well know I'll be doing the same thing. I feel left out. :( Just one more nights sleep.

graywolf323

Snuggler said:
Will murdering him screw up any of my quests? If he has no purpose anymore, I'll go ahead and harvest him for his nice glasses.

pretty sure they're talking about the glasses on his desk so you wouldn't have to kill him for those :lol

iammeiam

Revolutionary said:
You have to show up at around 12:30am, when the shifts change (you gain that info from the employee log at the terminal of the tower).

EDIT: oh, and fair warning: pretty sure the quest is bugged at the end because I was unable to change the outcome.

? Did you have high enough
repair or science? Even buffed with a magazine, I failed the skillcheck and so couldn't disarm the bomb, but it certainly looked like passing the check would have saved the monorail.

Red Blaster said:

Doctors office in Goodsprings. Directly across the room from where you first start out in the game on a desk, in fact. You can even take it with no ill effects on your karma.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
graywolf323 said:
pretty sure they're talking about the glasses on his desk so you wouldn't have to kill him for those :lol

Alright. Well, I should probably kill him just in case.

Something about this game taps into my diabolical side, it's kind of disturbing in a way.

daoster

iammeiam said:
Getting the timing right on this one took me a few tries, but basically:

Hack the terminal outside the control tower, and it'll tell you when specifically the spy makes his nightly radio transmissions. Then you need to be outside the tower at that time (I stayed hidden, I'm pretty sure if the spy sees you he won't go in the tower); once it's time for the radio call to happen, sneak in the tower and you should be able to hear him making a radio call. He wouldn't spawn for me if I sat in the tower and waited, I had to be outside.

Also worth noting: make sure to give him a few minutes buffer to 'get settled' before entering the tower. First time I found him, I bugged the quest by entering the tower while he was at the base of the stairs and some of the scripted stuff didn't happen properly.

Thanks....I've gotten the guy to show up on "I Put a Spell On You," but when I enter the tower,
is the spy suppose to be doing anything? He just stands there, doing nothing, unless I move past a certain point, where he detects me and starts attacking me...

I want to leave work early and play. Too bad I don't have a closed off office. I'd bring my laptop to work and sneak some playtime in while working.

To me it feels a lot emptier than FO3, despite what I'd read earlier.

It also seems to be missing the amount of "found stories" FO3 had, where you'd pick up a series of holotapes or notes that would unfold their own little tragic stories and have their own little secret miniquests attached, seems Obsidian concentrated on dialogue-driven events for this one - which is fine, but I really enjoyed that type of thing in FO3 (sometimes more so than the lengthier quests with heavy story elements) and so far I kind of miss it here.

Just feels like it's missing that mood of desperation, that "Wow, everything really went away in the blink of an eye" feeling where every building you entered seemed haunted, and simple touches like seeing a tiny scorched skeleton in a bedroom crib would disturb you for a long while afterward.

I guess the first time you encounter the Legion is a little unsettling, but...expected, maybe? They're the Romans, it's what they do.

So far I'm not seeing where the writing is that stellar in comparison, as I haven't yet found a quest as affecting as finding the violin for the old lady and discovering what kind of torturous things happened to her sister in the vault, or run across any weird random characters like the king of the ants or the two feuding superhero/villains.

BlueTsunami

Veronica fighting with a giant mechanical fist is hilarious. I saw a Ghoul get knocked the fuck out yesterday. But now I've given her a super sledge and she's fucking shit up.

iammeiam

daoster said:
Thanks....I've gotten the guy to show up on "I Put a Spell On You," but when I enter the tower,
is the spy suppose to be doing anything? He just stands there, doing nothing, unless I move past a certain point, where he detects me and starts attacking me...

If you hit the timing right you should
overhear him making a radio transmission; when you enter the tower the quest objective will change from finding the guy to eavesdropping. when the conversation's over, it changes again.

You're hitting a scripting glitch; as far as I know, you need to hear the radio conversation fully to get the last part of the quest What you're getting is more or less what happened to me the first time I found him, and I wound up reloading and trying again.. You may want to try waiting/sleeping 24 hours and trying again to see if that resets him.

I am really enjoying this game. Sure it feels alot like FO3 but I love that game. Why fix something that is not broken. I am also playing it on hardcore mode, and find it very fun trying to be stealthy and patient when to attack an enemy. My heart was racing when I was hiding and waiting for some wolves to come out at a decent position so I can get some good hits on them with my rifle in iron sights. So awesome!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
24 hours in. Just reached the outskirts of New Vegas. So far, the biggest disappointment with the game is the fact that you can only have one real companion. In FO3, they were completely useless. In NV, they're more useful than you are. It also takes you completely out of the game when you run into somebody who begs you to take them along, but then says "Oh, looks like you have company. Nevermind!"

Meh. I'm kind of sick of my current companion, but don't want to get rid of him because there is a quest that's attached that the completionist in me can't not finish. The same trait is making me annoyed that I may be missing out on events with other companions.

Top Bottom