• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

For those who had their quicksave revert to something much older

It isn't gone. To recover it, navigate to C:\users\you\my docs\my games\falloutnv\saves

You should see something like autosave.fos.bak. Does the time when it was last modified seem correct? That's because thats your save.

To fix, rename the other autosave.fos file to something else and then delete the ".bak" extension from the above file. Presto! You have your real save back.

Edit: Also did the patch fix the radio issue with the
Prison clearing failing when it didnt

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Went into the town before you get to Novac...as I'm walking up to this group of people they all started firing in my direction. It was like my life was flashing before me (NOOO WHY DIDN'T I SAVE WHY DID I GO UP TO THEM WHYYYYYYYY) until I realized they were shooting the scorpion behind me. :lol

RS4-

The way infamy and fame is handled is a little annoying.

I can't "steal" this pretty good gun because it's on the ground next to a dead guy since there's a person that stands there the whole time (and he has to unless I want to cause trouble).

RS4- said:
The way infamy and fame is handled is a little annoying.

I can't "steal" this pretty good gun because it's on the ground next to a dead guy since there's a person that stands there the whole time (and he has to unless I want to cause trouble).

How does it work. I just said "fuck it" and cleaned out
the prison after I killed the powder guys

How much does that really hurt my karma?

Zeliard

The_Inquisitor said:
How much does that really hurt my karma?

:lol

If I'm in someone's home or shop in the game I'm seeing and hearing the "you lost karma" message and sound effect roughly every 1.8 seconds.

I went to the prison and
rescued the future sheriff of Primm. I ran back out after finding an army of well armed goons in the courtyard. I decided not to clear the prison out entirely. I ran into the wrong building and had even more powder ganers chasing me only adding to the mob. They chased me after I ran outside and eventually I had them locked behind the perimeter gate at the edge. I'm shooting through the fence at them and I look behind me to see 8 freaking wild dogs lunging at me in mid-air. I crapped my pants. I ran back inside the gate and hid inside one of those trailers obviously meant for prisoners to have sex visits in. I used the incinerator gun (while popping a multitude of stimpaks) to burn everything to kingdom come. The place was littered with bodies. Hours later, I come back to find several of the bodies still burning.

Geoff9920

Just got another patch download. Auto / quicksaves seem to be working now. :)

edit: This patch was 17.6MB, so it's a new one on top of the other patch from yesterday.

abundant

Nose Master said:
Karma doesn't seem to matter at all anymore, it's just factions rep. Is there a single quest where karma affects it?

I don't know, but some companions like Cass will leave you if your karma is low enough.

So uh... is there something up with (lateish-game hideout spoiler)
Lucky 38 for companions? I sent both Boone and Cassidy there and they've yet to arrive. Wtf??

Proc

I bought this game against my better judgement. I know I don't have the time for a big open world game but I was able to finish fallout 3's main campaign so I figured why not.

After completing the first quest chain, which involved running out a gang from the town, I now know that this is going to be a great experience.

The quest chain was well done and involved for something so simple. I'm very excited to see the rest of the game. Its a game that is very relaxing.

I also picked up borderlands goty, which is also a very relaxing experienced but does not have as nearly of an involved storyline.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Did anyone else pick the silly hallucination perk at the beginning? It seems like it will make for some fun times.

Rainier

I was one of those that chose to hold off on buying the game until the GOTY comes out with the DLC's.

Currently downloading through Steam. :lol

Thanks to Toma for posting all the mods, and others for all the PC tweaks.

pakkit

Banned
So how stable is this game on the 360?

OR

How long should I hold off from purchasing this game? Visuals aside, it seems to be the true Fallout game I wanted.

vehn

In regards to the achieve where you need to collect all companions... Do you think it matters if they are all from one playthroufh at all? I screwed up the first companion several hours ago and didn't realize it.

Hopefully i can get the rest, and then on the next play thru when I get him it will unlock

pilonv1

Nose Master said:
Karma doesn't seem to matter at all anymore, it's just factions rep. Is there a single quest where karma affects it?

Did it matter that much in FO3? I don't recall it impacting too many things other than your companion.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, Wayne Newton is really, really great as the DJ. I wasn't expecting that.

knitoe

pakkit said:

OR

How long should I hold off from purchasing this game? Visuals aside, it seems to be the true Fallout game I wanted.
Crashes all the time. Have to save often to be safe. Weird since with Fallout 3, I only had issue after installing DLC.

pakkit said:

OR

Ten hours in on 360, not a single bug. A few graphical oddities, but that's par for the course with Gamebryo titles.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
disappeared said:
Ten hours in on 360, not a single bug. A few graphical oddities, but that's par for the course with Gamebryo titles.

Same here. I'm not claiming that the reported bugs and crashes don't happen, but for what it's worth, I've played ten hours as well without any noticeable glitches or any crashes/freezes.
If you're interested in the game, go for it. Be sure to save often, just in case.

epmode

Alucrid said:
What's the best place to store items early on?
I hear that the stuff in Victor's cabin won't eventually disappear so I threw all of my crap in the oven!

That UI mod is LOVELY, BTW. Now I just want something to shrink the menu font a bit so we can get even more onscreen at once.

neoism

Toma said:
By the way, regarding mods. What I am using at the moment (check http://www.newvegasnexus.com/ for proper descriptions or mods I didnt include below, for example playerhomes in certain areas or other balancing variants) :

AddemptyBottle - Every time you drink nuke cola or purified water you get an empty bottle that...
BottleThatWater - ... you can refill when using a sink or other water source
BetterHeadshots - Increases the amount of damage made by a headshot (also to yourself)
CaravanCardFix - Fixes a bug where Caravan Cards were not added to your deck
CarryingCapacityIncrease - Raises the base value by approximately 100. with strength 5 you have 300 pounds you can carry
Companion De-Equip - You can equip and dequip companions as you like
EDTraits - Gives more choices for the starting traits
PerkEveryLevel - Well... choose a perk every time you level up. You wont get perks from levels you missed when installing the mod later.
RASrepairAll - Repair your stuff with all kinds of other stuff (wrenches, superglue...other equipment)
Further3rdPersonCamera - Gives you more Options on how to use the 3rd person Cam
Goacbc'sFreeplayAfterMQNV - Continue playing after you "finished" the game.
ImmaSightingMahLazor - Gives an aiming view to the laser pistol (really nicely done)
KillableKids - Couldnt test yet as I have yet to come across kids.
Unlimited Companions - Chose up to 6 companions. Be careful though as you dont want to hit max so that quest NPC's can still join you
MTUI - New UI with slightly smaller fonts for conversation, pipboy and items

Yeah.. I love tailoring a game to my needs and wants.

Question about the
Other interesting mods I havent tested:
Jaysus Swords Mod - Give you 7 different knives and swords
Adventurers New Vegas - Gameplay and difficulty balance (e.g. no rare items in random chests)
AllRacesPlayable - You can play as everything except children
RealisticPhysics - Changes over the top physics to a more realistic version
OMG thank you for this.

Question about the MTUI mod. I downloaded it, and its a Data folder with a Menu folder and a Textures folder. Do I really overwrite the data folder already in Fallout NV. How do I install it. Does it need s esp file because it didn't come with one. Sorry guys.. I a PC mod noob.

Alucrid

Banned
epmode said:
I hear that the stuff in Victor's cabin won't eventually disappear so I threw all of my crap in the oven!

That UI mod is LOVELY, BTW. Now I just want something to shrink the menu font a bit so we can get even more onscreen at once.

Thanks I'll try that. Lugging around prewar books sucks.

Swifty

Zeliard said:
Yeah, I also really liked Fallout 3's landscapes and almost oppressively bleak atmosphere, but this game has that and combines it with much better writing and characterization and a load of gameplay tweaks and additions that cannot be understated.

It really is the game that Fallout 3 should have been. We'll never see what Van Buren would have truly been like, but this Fallout reeks of the heavy involvement of both Chris Avellone and JE Sawyer (who were the leads on Van Buren at different points). What holds NV back is as EviLore pointed out, the core gameplay and engine and such belonging to the inferior Fallout 3.

But for all intents and purposes, this is the Fallout game we've been waiting for since 2.
It's great that Chris Avellone and JE Sawyer managed to bring back a lot of the plot elements from Van Buren into New Vegas. After seven years, those two finally get to tell the Fallout story they wanted to tell.

I really hope those two will be involved in Fallout 4, at least as the lead writers.

MMaRsu

dreamer3kx said:
Do you just run into them, Ive been playing a good 5-6 hrs, been to plenty of towns already.

He's in Novac
Do the quest where the guy in the dino's mouth ask you to find out what happened to his wife

Dude is awesome :)

iammeiam

Revolutionary said:
So uh... is there something up with (lateish-game hideout spoiler)
Lucky 38 for companions? I sent both Boone and Cassidy there and they've yet to arrive. Wtf??

I couldn't find Boone and Veronica the first time I'd sent them back, because it turns out at night they were both sleeping. In the same bed.

Also, the companions will walk back to the Lucky 38 from wherever you released them, which can take a while. At one point I wound up running into Boone in Freeside as he made his way back.

Also: I really hope a quest-fixing 360 patch arrives; I had a quest bug screw me over seven hours of playtime after I'd finished the quest (and even now I only know that's what happened after checking a strategy guide to confirm when the option should have unlocked.) If this happens on a mainline quest I will probably explode.

Rainier

knitoe said:
Crashes all the time. Have to save often to be safe. Weird since with Fallout 3, I only had issue after installing DLC.

disappeared said:
Out of curiosity, either of you have the slim 360? Is the game installed?

Proc said:
I bought this game against my better judgement. I know I don't have the time for a big open world game but I was able to finish fallout 3's main campaign so I figured why not.

After completing the first quest chain, which involved running out a gang from the town, I now know that this is going to be a great experience.

The quest chain was well done and involved for something so simple. I'm very excited to see the rest of the game. Its a game that is very relaxing.

I also picked up borderlands goty, which is also a very relaxing experienced but does not have as nearly of an involved storyline.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Did anyone else pick the silly hallucination perk at the beginning? It seems like it will make for some fun times.

I picked that perk but I don't think I've gotten anything out of it yet.

graywolf323

why do I lose karma for raiding a Powder Ganger outpost after I killed all the bad guys there? they opened fire on me so it was self defense but no grab their ammo box and I'm a bad person? :lol

Wallach

This isn't really Fallout 3 to me. Fallout 3 can be Fallout 3, considering how much changed between Fallout and Fallout 2. That's fine. In many ways, Fallout 3 was a more proper follow up to the original Fallout than Fallout 2 was.

This is Fallout 2: The Garnering. This is my dream game. :D

I'd also like to state for the record that OMG BOZAR has been officially retired in favor of OMG EXPLOSIVES (not exactly but I won't be more specific for spoilers' sake).

MMaRsu

Rainier said:
Out of curiosity, either of you have the slim 360? Is the game installed?

I have a premium 360, not launch about 2 years old. Game is installed on my 20gb HDD. Im about 4/5 hours in and had it lock up a bunch of times already. And a corrupted autosave, thank god I manually save all the time.

graywolf323 said:
why do I lose karma for raiding a Powder Ganger outpost after I killed all the bad guys there? they opened fire on me so it was self defense but no grab their ammo box and I'm a bad person? :lol

My guess is that it's because it was NCR property.

RS4-

Ok solved my problem with stealing the gun in front of an NCR dude: use stealthboy :lol

Oh about the
implants
at the Med Center, your endurance dictates how many you can have.

neoism

Is there anyway to bring NPCs back to life on PC... I killed Chet at the beginning of the game. 15 hours in I hadn't had one weapon mod yet... ? :/

Dresden

graywolf323 said:
map said it was Powder Ganger Camp West
That's weird, I always get +karma when I hit that particular camp. Actually, now that I think about it, I get +karma for killing the gangers, then I lose karma for "stealing" their loot. :lol This system needs some work.

Rainier

MMaRsu said:
I have a premium 360, not launch about 2 years old. Game is installed on my 20gb HDD. Im about 4/5 hours in and had it lock up a bunch of times already. And a corrupted autosave, thank god I manually save all the time.
A few places have mentioned to clear the game cache and run the game directly from DVD. The loading will be slower but the game will run smoothly. Maybe using a flash drive to save to?

Wallach

Dresden said:
That's weird, I always get +karma when I hit that particular camp.

You can get +karma for killing them.

You will always get -karma for stealing from containers no matter what if it actually belongs to someone.

Trickster

Wow, just tried installing that dll file I saw people talking about, what a difference. frame rate became much, much more stable. Seems to be hovering close to 60 fps at all times now, whereas before it would be anywhere from 10 to 60.

Take the
Vikki & Vance hotel
for instance, before the frame rate would dip to probably single digits if I looked at the car ( no idea why ). Now? No framerate drop at all :D

Top Bottom