• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Trying to think up an optimal build, but I can't be sure until I see what items you can get that have SPECIAL bonuses on them. I know the brotherhood armor gives +1 STR and you get +1 PER on most light headgear.

If you don't know, you can visit the Vegas doctor who can give you +1 to each SPECIAL stat for 4000 caps each. There are also two non SPECIAL mods for HP regen (pretty useless) and +4 DT. There are no other ways to permanently increase your stats, such as bobbleheads.

The best combat stat per point is definitely Luck. 1% crit is huge compared to the tiny melee bonus of STR. The amount of skill points you get per INT is reduced from Fallout 3. It used to be base 10+your INT value. Now it looks like 5-6 gives 13 points (377 total), 7-8 gives 14 points (406 total), and 9-10 gives 15 points (435 total). I doubt you will need more than 5 INT to max 7-8 important skills once you factor in the skill books. I'm pretty sure there are 4 books per skill.

So here's what I'm thinking for SPECIAL, depending on what you can equip to buff your stats further.

STR - 7+1 brotherhood armor+1 mod
PER - 5+1 mod+1 glasses
END - 6+1 mod
CHR - 1
INT - 5+1 mod
AGI - 6+1 mod
LCK - 9+1 mod

The two best traits IMO are Fast Shot and Built to Destroy.

Perks I'll probably get: Confirmed Bachelor, Rapid Reload, Bloody Mess, Shotgun Surgeon, The Professional, Cowboy, Finesse, Jury Rigging, Purifier, Better Criticals, Ninja, Super Slam (if it's any good?)

Perks I might get: Gunslinger, Commando, Center of Mass, Sniper, Action Boy, Grim Reaper's Spirit, Nerves of Steel

Some perks I like the look of but not sure if I can spare the skill points to access them: Hunter, Entomologist, Living Anatomy, Math Wrath, Piercing Strike, Pyromaniac, Robotics Expert, Concentrated Fire, Laser Commander, Slayer

You only get to choose 15 perks between lv 2 and 30 so there's a lot that has to be sacrificed there.

Laughing Banana said:
Fallout 3 + Obsidian......

This game is swarming with a massive amount of bugs, I presume?

Edit: to clarify, 360 version.

Tons man. Tons. In ten hours I just left the Doc's house because I got stuck in a code loop and Moira Brown is selling me Brahmin, real cheap.

Wiggum2007

disappeared said:
Is there actual confirmation that the game runs better directly from the disc?

edit: double post, whoops

Even if load times were slower off the HDD it'd still be worth it to me just to avoid the sound of my disc is being fed through a woodchipper which my 360 makes when I don't install.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anticitizen One said:

Great. How many of them are game-breaking or game-halting variety? I play games to enjoy the experience, not to have massive headaches trying to work around annoying bugs.

It's too bad that it seems like Obsidian still lives up to its infamous reputation.

Edit: if possible, I would like a straight, non joking answers please. Because it will affect my purchase decision. Thanks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
And an another patch is coming. They better fix this shit by October 30th, when my vacation starts. I think I gonna cave in and buy the game, but I'm still not sure.

GreekWolf

disappeared said:
Ten hours in on 360, not a single bug. A few graphical oddities, but that's par for the course with Gamebryo titles.

Same here. I've put 11 hours in on 360 without any crashes, glitches or noticeable bugs. The only strange oddity I've seen is a Gecko Hunter charging towards me, then abruptly jump off a cliff and committing suicide. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just
seduced a man, had sex with him, then strangled him in his sleep.

I feel dirty. *

I'm having a glitch at the strip where my character turns invisible. It's weird.

* I'm referring to the game, btw

Bebpo

Banned
Where does E-DE go when you tell it to leave so you can have a different companion? It's not in the primm post where I found it...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Oh my god this game is amazing. My jaw dropped.

Major Spoilers:
Received the quest to get the platinum chip from Matthew Perry. So I went to the tops. He invited me to go talk in private. He seems like a real sleazeball so I use my high speech attribute to get him to lose the bodyguards, plus I still have my trusty spiked knuckles with me so I'm not feeling terribly unsafe. We have a chat where I basically tell him what a failure he is. I demand the chip but he basically says "lol no thanks bro, come see me when you change your mind". As he turns to leave I say ah what the hell, save my game, and start punching him...and subsequently break his fucking head open so I can take the chip by force. The game...actually let me do this. I'm sure plenty of older games have allowed this kind of freedom, but this is my first, and holy shit it was glorious.

Received a bunch of money and EXP from that. Barely at level 10, and I'm 17 or so hours in. Went to Gun Run. I came to Vegas gawking at the prices on the hunting rifle and .44 magnum, but now they're no sweat with my 8000 chips. Just need the rifle scope, and the NCR elite outfit, and I'll become the pretty cool guy Fallout New Vegas who fights rad scorpions and doesn't afraid of anything. And even with all this I'm still not overpowered. I'm not even dreaming of going anywhere near a Deathclaw nest.

Anybody have any idea where I take
Ranger Morales's
body after I find it? It says north of the tracks I will find some troopers but I have found nothing.

My buddy just wanted me to type this out, not sure how far this is true. Good luck anyway.

The_Inquisitor said:
Is there a good place to put your stuff early in the game besides the safe in the schoolhouse?
Mr.House Penthouse suite (Mission Name: The house always wins)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tkawsome said:
Any reliable place to find fission batteries? I'm also looking for one more conductor if anyone knows a spot.
Nellis Airforce base (has all the spare parts but hard to get to) or Gibson scrapyard located near Novac.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Felix Lighter said:
Damn it. The game was pretty stable for my first 6-7 hours but now it crashes to the desktop constantly. Every 15 minutes or so.

This is why i stopped playing Fallout 3 more than anything. That exact same thing happened to me.

Bebpo

Banned
Cass' personal quest doesn't seem worth it

You get 500xp, a perk for her, and the plasma cutter (useless for me because I don't have the strength to hold it and my energy weapons stat is at 13)

But you lose out on:
500+xp from working with the gun shop guys
You get negative NCR rep for killing the crimson caravan people
You lose out on any crimson caravan related quests you haven't finished

I saved then did it (the gun shop battle took many many retries and luck) and I think I'll just use my pre-doing it save.

Bebpo said:
Cass' personal quest doesn't seem worth it

You get 500xp, a perk for her, and the plasma cutter (useless for me because I don't have the strength to hold it and my energy weapons stat is at 13)

But you lose out on:
500+xp from working with the gun shop guys
You get negative NCR rep for killing the crimson caravan people
You lose out on any crimson caravan related quests you haven't finished

I saved then did it (the gun shop battle took many many retries and luck) and I think I'll just use my pre-doing it save.

You don't have to kill anyone or lose any rep or quests. You can finish the quest by getting evidence of the conspiracy and handing it over to the NCR. There are no real consequences if you do the quest that way.

Bebpo

Banned
Basileus777 said:
You don't have to kill anyone or lose any rep or quests. You can finish the quest by getting evidence of the conspiracy and handing it over to the NCR. There's no real consequences if you do the quest that way.

yeah but I fucked up. At the discovery of who did it part when Cass said "let's go kill 'em!" I said "sure", because hey why not. They're the bad guys. And that was like 10 hours ago :lol

I'm pretty sure my only choice is to kill them all or just ignore the quest altogether at this point

Waikis

The tweaks from FO3 still works. You can increase LOD,vegetation etc etc.

ScreenShot4.jpg

What the fuck GAF. I got to the 100 cap house. I stored a bunch of shit in the safe in the room. Clicked to open and EVERYTHING was gone. I tried the foot locker and same thing. Why the fuck is it not remembering my stuff?

Trying to find Veronica. Looked around
Hidden Valley
but there's a locked door I can't open. I also got to the strip already and headed back there so I dunno if there was a time frame.

JPBrowncoat said:
Trying to find Veronica. Looked around
Hidden Valley
but there's a locked door I can't open. I also got to the strip already and headed back there so I dunno if there was a time frame.

She's at
188 trading post north-west of Boulder City.

Waikis

Hylian7 said:
I never got into doing this in FO3, how did you do it?

I think tweakguides did a great guide :

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_8.html

One of the most important settings is :
uGridsToLoad=5 - Increasing the uGridsToLoad value (always in odd steps of 5,7,9,11 etc.) will increase the number of grids around the character in which full texture and object data will be loaded up and visible as they wander around. This improves overall visual quality by increasing graphical detail on more distant game world elements. Indeed certain objects and structures which were otherwise not visible before will now be visible.

however... Note: It appears that if you save a game with a higher value for this variable, you cannot then lower the value again as your saved game will no longer load properly.

Zinga

Banned
Found my first bugged quest, in the quest 'I Put A Spell on You', basically
even after disarming the monorail bomb, the monorail still blows up, even if you sneak out of the room and go see hsu it doesn't work

Hope these fixes keep coming nice and quick!

(._.)

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Damn it. The game was pretty stable for my first 6-7 hours but now it crashes to the desktop constantly. Every 15 minutes or so.
This game technically hasn't crashed once on me. Both patches just fixed up every problem I had with it. They're working on it.

Agh! Giant scorpion! Here, let me use all my ammo to kill it.

(Bang! Bang!)

Thank God that's over with now I'll just heal for a second...

(Three more Giant Scorpions crawl over the nearby hill)

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuckin' landmines! I need to start saving more when I roam around, that shit is not fun on hardcore. :lol

I pre-ordered this, and the game *should* be arriving today. With my luck, though, I'm probably going to get it next monday. Ah well - good thing that I have Super Meat Boy to play while I wait.

Nose Master

I just opened a door and heard a crazy rattling/dropping noise. I turn around and 4ish named dogs and 3-4 molerats drop out of the sky and start mauling my NPC. Killed them, and now he's just perpetually loading his gun. :lol :lol :lol

The_Inquisitor said:
I tried every container in the room and if it put a bunch of items at a time they all dissapear. Maybe I will try with a few at a time.

Ooh, this is important to me. I need a constant good storage location and bed for the entire game, beginning to end. Free.

This place for me in Fallout 3 was the dead people's house in Arefu. The cabinet there could store anything, and never cleared out. Room was small. Bed right there. Called it my new house. Fuck the house you get in Megaton, that's too late in the game and I already stored all my shit at my house in Arefu.

Any easy to get to location in New Vegas?

Top Bottom