• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

ElyrionX

The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah how the FUCK do they fuck that up? I have NO way of storing shit now other than companions...

Not sure if you know this but this bug (losing all your stuff stored in supposedly safe containers in your homes) was in Oblivion and Fallout 3 as well. It was never fixed despite constantly being raised in the tech support forums.

Happened to me in FO3 and I was hoping they'd fix it for NV.

I mean as long as bugs are not gamebreaking, I can deal with them but this bug is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Overlee

firehawk12 said:
Curious - when exactly is the point of no return in terms of choosing sides? I'm trying to do as much as I can to have a save to see all the endings/quest lines.

You can play all sides for awhile and then everyone
will ask you to kill off Mr. House. However if you continue to do jobs for the NCR you'll lose points with the Legion and be unable to continue for their ending. I saved the game right in front of Mr. House in the Lucky 38, right around "The House Always Wins part III" quest. From there you should be complete all the endings.

SmokyDave said:
I'm going to be playing this on an 8600M GT that has dodgy driver support due to being Toshiba OEM.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

Some people seem to be playing it on NVIDIA cards just fine. Maybe you'll get lucky.

This game goes to show just how awful bethesda have gotten at world building, something terrible happened to them after morrowind. And that something terrible was todd the coffee bitch howard being given a lead role.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
fizzelopeguss said:
This game goes to show just how awful bethesda have gotten at world building, something terrible happened to them after morrowind. And that something terrible was todd the coffee bitch howard being given a lead role.

Bethesda crafted the overworlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 in a way that reminds me, of all things, of the Zelda franchise. They erase any sense of danger and intimidation in favour of something very easy to traverse and explore. You can go from A-to-B without much risk of an imposing threat, and zip across world with hardly any barriers.

It's fine for people who prefer that much more relaxed atmosphere, and it captures its own great atmosphere, but it's a billion miles away from the older WRPG feel of really working for your accomplishments.

Exploring a single cave in Morrowind could turn into an epic adventure with tons of enemies, rare loot, and levels going miles below the surface. Not so much in Oblivion.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Lonesome_Raod said:
Just took care of the gang in the starting town. I need a safe place to store stuff quickly. Anyone found a good place to use?

According to the Fallout Wikia, the safe in the schoolhouse won't reset. It didn't for me anyway, although I did check in on it periodically to dump more loot in. It was all there later on when I got
the permanent hotel room in Novac
to move all my stuff to.

DSN2K

what's the fix for the shitty frame rates outside on PC, no way should I be getting performance I am with this game, something must be up

I had Veronica as a follower and I turned around and she was gone I can't find her anywere, tried waiting at my suite, tried waiting at the place were I recruited her. Sucks because I can't even get another follower now as they still think she is with me. Is there a fix for this? Maybe a console command or something? I am on PC btw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Overlee said:
You can play all sides for awhile and then everyone
will ask you to kill off Mr. House. However if you continue to do jobs for the NCR you'll lose points with the Legion and be unable to continue for their ending. I saved the game right in front of Mr. House in the Lucky 38, right around "The House Always Wins part III" quest. From there you should be complete all the endings.

So what's the best way to get to the PNR?

Meet the various factions, get the chip, return it to Mr. House and then save?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Another small annoyance. You're a desert wanderer, killing creatures, solving problems and generally making the world a better, bloodier place. You come to an abandoned shack, the occupant dead from radscorpion stings. On the counter, a bottle of purified water. Perfect. You grab it. Suddenly, the negative karma gods say "NO UR A BAD PERSON." Negative karma. The karma system is just flat broken in this. Items in actual houses can show up blue, while random boxes show up red.

Sotha Sil

EatChildren said:
Bethesda crafted the overworlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 in a way that reminds me, of all things, of the Zelda franchise. They erase any sense of danger and intimidation in favour of something very easy to traverse and explore. You can go from A-to-B without much risk of an imposing threat, and zip across world with hardly any barriers.

It's fine for people who prefer that much more relaxed atmosphere, and it captures its own great atmosphere, but it's a billion miles away from the older WRPG feel of really working for your accomplishments.

Exploring a single cave in Morrowind could turn into an epic adventure with tons of enemies, rare loot, and levels going miles below the surface. Not so much in Oblivion.

You hit the nail on the head. That perpetual sense of danger is what made Morrowind an absolute classic. I remember entering a cave of the Sixth House at a pretty high level (on my first playthrough), and feeling scared shitless; even more so when entering a Daedra temple. Even scamps were scary at low levels. I played Oblivion vanilla, and it pretty much killed my sense of immersion. Only cool thing left was exploring castle at night, IMO. Same thing can be said about Fallout 3. I know it has been said a billion times, but come on: when kids can live on their own in the wasteland, you know you're in for a cakewalk.

I can think of another important element that is missing from recent Bethesda games: moral ambiguity. Morrowind was masterful in its handling of ethics; you were shown, not told, who was altruistic and who was more of a bastard. Your actions, good or bad (freeing slaves, for instance) were not (always) instantly rewarded or punished, but would often ripple in unexpected fashion. The faction system has always been much more compelling than the karma system, because it forces you to think about the people you're aligning with; it forces you to be coherent (you can join rival factions, but you'll have to face the consequences later on).

Oblivion was a disappointing downgrade in that regard, and Fallout 3... Fallout 3 had bad cowboys and good cowboys. Need I say more?

Can't wait to play New Vegas to see how Obsidian handled it.

DSN2K said:
what's the fix for the shitty frame rates outside on PC, no way should I be getting performance I am with this game, something must be up

http://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/dtxbs/fix_for_the_bug_that_causes_a_heavy_fps_drop/

I got the DLL that is linked in that thread and it seems like my performance went up. The gang shootout in the starter town bogged a little bit for me, since downloading the DLL the game seems much smoother. Had some shootouts with 4+ NCR guys and it performed much better.

Lots of people were squawking about viruses that can be hidden in DLLs, but whatever I have a smooth FNV now and that is all that matters.

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
Another small annoyance. You're a desert wanderer, killing creatures, solving problems and generally making the world a better, bloodier place. You come to an abandoned shack, the occupant dead from radscorpion stings. On the counter, a bottle of purified water. Perfect. You grab it. Suddenly, the negative karma gods say "NO UR A BAD PERSON." Negative karma. The karma system is just flat broken in this. Items in actual houses can show up blue, while random boxes show up red.

I have no idea what karma even does in NV. I don't think it does anything at all quite frankly.

WanderingWind

Sotha Sil said:
Can't wait to play New Vegas to see how Obsidian handled it.

Wait until you run into the
Blind Deathclaw. Then, after having to use your wits to kill him, you come across a gorge that has an entire pack of healthy ones.
Other enemies in FO3 that seemed like they would be challenging but weren't (IE giant rad scorpions) will absolutely fuck you up this time around. Since you don't get perks every level, you have to build a character and stick with it. I'm level 16 and I still have to mark places to return to when I have better stats for med/science/whatevs checks.

There are places in NV that you will not survive at lower levels, period. If you play on hardcore mode, loot becomes severely important.

Basically, NV on hardcore mode IS a classic RPG in flavor and feel. If you play on any other mode, you're cheating yourself out of a great experience and the future rights to bemoan the state of WRPGs.

As to the good/bad morality. You can't make everybody happy in this game. If you work with faction A then faction B won't like you. And with one exception, the factions aren't just evil or good.

Wallach said:
I have no idea what karma even does in NV. I don't think it does anything at all quite frankly.

Role playing purposes. Also, some companions will leave if karma goes too low/high...so I hear. My current BFF doesn't really give a shit. :lol

Sotha Sil

Wallach said:

How does it affect your relationships with others in F1&2, again? I remember people only caring about my reputation and specific (horrible) actions.

Edit: Thank you WanderingWind, you just sold me on the game! Here's hoping it will be one scary adventure
though nothing scares me more than your Weeping Angel.

Despera

Banned
I'm using the dumpster behind the supply shop in Goodspings to store my stuff. Played for more than 18 hours after that and came back to check it out and everything is still intact.

Just reached The Strip after 22 hours of gameplay.

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
Role playing purposes. Also, some companions will leave if karma goes too low/high...so I hear. My current BFF doesn't really give a shit. :lol

I think it's fair to lose a tiny amount of karma for looting stuff when it's clear it belongs to someone else. It's inconsistent for sure, though.

This game owns my fuckin' face right now. I spent like nine hours outside finishing construction work on a garage and I still just got done playing for like six solid hours. All of the quests so far have been so much more clever and inventive than anything in Fallout 3. There's also like a million shout outs to Fallout and Fallout 2 everywhere which I'm loving. I still can't believe how much this game feels like Fallout 2.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Does anyone have a link for d3d9.dll that isn't MegaUpload, it's giving me some error when I try and download it from MegaUpload.

WanderingWind

Wallach said:
I think it's fair to lose a tiny amount of karma for looting stuff when it's clear it belongs to someone else. It's inconsistent for sure, though.

This game owns my fuckin' face right now. I spent like nine hours outside finishing construction work on a garage and I still just got done playing for like six solid hours. All of the quests so far have been so much more clever and inventive than anything in Fallout 3. There's also like a million shout outs to Fallout and Fallout 2 everywhere which I'm loving. I still can't believe how much this game feels like Fallout 2.

It really, really does. As much as I enjoyed Fallout 3, it just..."felt" different. This feels just like Fallout 1/2. The music in FO3 still nukes this shit out of the water, though Wayne Newton is better than the one voice actor they used for every male character in FO3. Plus, the first encounter with a
Nightkin
? Make me grin like a virgin on prom night with a fifth of JD in his pocket.

I've had to make some hard choices. I've even made the wrong one a couple of times. That's awesome considering in Oblivion/FO3 the choices were always A) Save the baby or B)Set the baby on fire and consume its heart in front of its mother type deals. Good stuff this time around.

I still haven't been able to
clear out the pack of Deathclaws though. Just went back. 2 hits, dead. Better than the one hit bitch slap I received 6 levels ago! :(

Wallach said:
There's also like a million shout outs to Fallout and Fallout 2 everywhere which I'm loving. I still can't believe how much this game feels like Fallout 2.
I got so fired up when I ventured into Goodsprings cave and heard the cave song from Fallout 1+2 playing.

damn do I love this game.

Damn do I hate Vault 34.

edit: I also hate that my
ED-E My Love
quest is broken. I hate having unfinished quests on my list.

Marvie_3

Banned
WanderingWind said:
clear out the pack of Deathclaws though. Just went back. 2 hits, dead. Better than the one hit bitch slap I received 6 levels ago! :(
Boone
+
Anti-Material rifle (AP rounds) from Gun runners
= deathclaw death :D:D

I just cleaned out the quarry last night before going to bed. :D

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
It really, really does. As much as I enjoyed Fallout 3, it just..."felt" different. This feels just like Fallout 1/2. The music in FO3 still nukes this shit out of the water, though Wayne Newton is better than the one voice actor they used for every male character in FO3. Plus, the first encounter with a
Nightkin
? Make me grin like a virgin on prom night with a fifth of JD in his pocket.

I've had to make some hard choices. I've even made the wrong one a couple of times. That's awesome considering in Oblivion/FO3 the choices were always A) Save the baby or B)Set the baby on fire and consume its heart in front of its mother type deals. Good stuff this time around.

I have a feeling a lot of people got bitch slapped by the Nightkin at the REPCONN facility. I know I did the first time I went down there; my initial plan of Stealth Boy frag mine traps was foiled very, very quickly when my sneak critical mine took off about 10% of his health... :lol

Seriously though, yeah, Deathclaws. Glad to see them restored to their proper "OH MY FUCK" style glory. When that chick in the bar in Sloan asked for an egg, I figured I could just use my spare Stealth Boy (I love these things) and pull a sneaky smash and grab without getting caught. Then I turned a corner around the bulldozer up on the hill RIGHT fucking into one and he was like NAH BITCH and damn near one-shot me.

Armor DT clearly matters a lot more like in Fallout 2. It's going to make getting that first set of power armor SO fucking godlike just like the old games. I can't wait to go back to that fucking quarry and teach those fuckers the truth.

devo1989

Anyone else having an issue with the new 360 patch making the game crash every time you enter VATS ? Little problem my friend is having...

Despera

Banned
Guys, quick question. I just
killed Benny (the guy who shot me) after I convinced him to go into the room with no bodyguards
. Am I gonna miss some good stuff by doing that?

devo1989 said:
Anyone else having an issue with the new 360 patch making the game crash every time you enter VATS ? Little problem my friend is having...

Just happened to me too. Anytime I even hit the VATS button it freezes, even if there's nothing around.

Cheech

MMaRsu said:
WTFFFFFFFFFF Disc unreadable error while it's installed wtf????

I think there was a bad run of discs of the 360 version. My boss' copy was completely unreadable in two different 360s. He returned it for a different copy, which played fine.

Wallach

JodyAnthony said:
damn do I love this game.

Damn do I hate Vault 34.

edit: I also hate that my
ED-E My Love
quest is broken. I hate having unfinished quests on my list.

How is it broken?

Zeliard

I hope that coked out guy you meet when you first enter Nipton who talks about winning the lottery (his name escapes me) isn't terribly important, because he no longer dwells among the living.

n0n44m

Shinjitsu said:
C:\Windows

tried that but the file I downloaded from newvegasnexus is way smaller than the one from Windows

the one from windows didn't change much if anything at all (10 fps with more than 2 NPC's), but with the nvnexus file I hit 60 fps all the time (which I should as I'm using a Geforce GTX480)

DSN2K said:

Don't really think there is one.

I've used all the hotfixes proposed in this thread + the Patches/updates and I still have shitty framerates :(

q6600
gtx460
4GB ram

shouldn't struggle with this game at all.

Zeliard

Those of you who have rigs that can chew this game up and spit it out now should go through the Fallout 3 Tweak Guide (mainly just the "advanced settings" part) and increase things like draw distance and level of detail. You can make the landscapes quite a bit more impressive by drawing more geometry and such in the distance.

Lonesome_Raod said:
Just took care of the gang in the starting town. I need a safe place to store stuff quickly. Anyone found a good place to use?

There is one in Primm
The mailbox in the general store.
Nipton:
The safe in the general store.

Wallach

JodyAnthony said:
I just can't trigger anything, no matter what I do or who I talk to. I'm hoping eventually stuff will trigger, otherwise I'm stuck in it.

Oh. That's not broken then. Don't worry about it.

n0n44m said:
tried that but the file I downloaded from newvegasnexus is way smaller than the one from Windows

the one from windows didn't change much if anything at all (10 fps with more than 2 NPC's), but with the nvnexus file I hit 60 fps all the time (which I should as I'm using a Geforce GTX480)

I also have a 480 and dropped down to almost 30 just doing the first quest with Sunny. What is this performance increase everyone is talking about?

jax (old)

Banned
Re: Ranger Morales body

Um, you can't fast travel with it. Am I meant to drag it all the way back to NCR base in new vegas?

read the quest blog. its not a quest. It says to drag the body to an outpost north of the railtracks and I've dragged it to 2 places now and its still not working.

Stampy

Disregarding the bugs and technical issues, can someone tell me how is the game regarding the atmosphere, story, quality of writing and dynamic of things which can be done in the world?

Top Bottom