• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

epmode

Stampy said:
Disregarding the bugs and technical issues, can someone tell me how is the game regarding the atmosphere, story, quality of writing and dynamic of things which can be done in the world?
As many others have mentioned, all of that stuff is noticeably better in New Vegas. Moral ambiguity is fun! The game mechanics are more interesting as well.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
I have a feeling a lot of people got bitch slapped by the Nightkin at the REPCONN facility. I know I did the first time I went down there; my initial plan of Stealth Boy frag mine traps was foiled very, very quickly when my sneak critical mine took off about 10% of his health... :lol

Seriously though, yeah, Deathclaws. Glad to see them restored to their proper "OH MY FUCK" style glory. When that chick in the bar in Sloan asked for an egg, I figured I could just use my spare Stealth Boy (I love these things) and pull a sneaky smash and grab without getting caught. Then I turned a corner around the bulldozer up on the hill RIGHT fucking into one and he was like NAH BITCH and damn near one-shot me.

Armor DT clearly matters a lot more like in Fallout 2. It's going to make getting that first set of power armor SO fucking godlike just like the old games. I can't wait to go back to that fucking quarry and teach those fuckers the truth.

Bah so many spoilers...

In that quest, go to the room where that ghoul is standing up there. Look for areas you can jump on; there's this pipe? near the bear traps in the back you can jump up on that prevents enemies from hitting if you if you're on the edge.

All I did was:
- set mines
- aggro assholes
- run like mad back to those pipes and jump on top
- ghoul even helps you out

Same thing with the deathclaw area. Lots of little spots you can jump up on that prevent them from getting you, but you can take potshots at them...umm...just bring a lot of ammo...

Double D

Jeannie May stuff -
So I was wrapping a session last night, and usually when I'm done for the night, I save, then blow an innocent person's head off. I don't know why, I just tend to do that in RPGs that allow for it.

Anyways, I got to Novac and talked to some people, finally going to the motel and talking to Jeannie May. She tells me about the dude in the Dinosaur. Knowing I'm done playing, I save, and shoot her in the face. Well, it gave me good karma. I searched her body and found a key to a safe. Found the safe behind the desk and found a bill of sale in it talking about how she was selling some unborn kid to slavery or some weird shit.

I was kind of compelled to play more after that happened so I went to the dinosaur and talked to the dude that works the gift shop. One of the dialogue options was something like 'I killed Jeannie May'. He was all, 'Well, okay, but I hope we can still be friends.'. My question is wtf is going on? SHould I just roll with her being dead? Does she turn out to be some evil person later on? Can I still get this 'permanent motel room' that I just read about a couple posts ago since I never inquired about a room? I can always reload, so just let me know what the best option is here if possible. Thanks

Boone is a beast! Playing hard difficulty on hardcore mode specializing in explosives, and road encounters can be kind of tough. Not with Boon though, his range really compliments my characters skills.

Love that I've been playing for 10+ hours and have yet to enter New Vegas. I can fit two Medal of Honor play-throughs into what might be the first 20% of this game.

MrCompletely said:
Boone is a beast! Playing hard difficulty on hardcore mode specializing in explosives, and road encounters can be kind of tough. Not with Boon though, his range really compliments my characters skills.

Love that I've been playing for 10+ hours and have yet to enter New Vegas. I can fit two Medal of Honor play-throughs into what might be the first 20% of this game.

Im almost 15 hrs in and haven't reached Vegas, checking out all towns, doing side missions and searching everywhere, good stuff.

Spookie

Vik_Vaughn: Roll back and speak to him before you do that.
Take his quest, find the evidence, he'll kill her and then you can buddy up. Prob will be a quest later to save his wife no doubt. Never took him as a buddy though.

I found out a way go get back missing followers, if anyone is interested, only works on pc though.
Go to the fallout wiki for the companion and get her/his reference id, then in the console type prid followed by the reference id. Press enter then type moveto player and press enter again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
epmode said:
As many others have mentioned, all of that stuff is noticeably better in New Vegas. Moral ambiguity is fun! The game mechanics are more interesting as well.

I still feel like there's a scale of morality, with NCR being "lawful good" and Legion being "lawful evil". There's a bit more room to breathe than the whole Enclave vs Brotherhood thing from FO3, but it's not that different.

There does seem to be a lot more flavour in the game though.

On bugs, I've fallen through the map twice. That never happened in FO3. :lol

Despera

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah so many spoilers...

In that quest, go to the room where that ghoul is standing up there. Look for areas you can jump on; there's this pipe? near the bear traps in the back you can jump up on that prevents enemies from hitting if you if you're on the edge.

All I did was:
- set mines
- aggro assholes

Same thing with the deathclaw area. Lots of little spots you can jump up on that prevent them from getting you, but you can take potshots at them...umm...just bring a lot of ammo...

A modded Sniper Rifle will do the trick. I already tried that strategy you mentioned but then fell by mistake when there was only one Deathclaw and Alpha Male left. All I can say is that I got brutally raped in the corner.

I know I can succeed by keeping my distance and using my sniper rifle (plenty of ammo too), but I figured it would be more fun if I came back with a strong armor and Melee'd them all. My revenge shall be swift.

Double D

The Lamonster said:
Overall impressions from random Gaffers this morning, GO!

Really enjoying. FO3 was my first fallout game, so I'm finding NV to be a lot more challenging. I feel like there are more difficult, random encounters. Weird experiences galore, whether they be intentional or just bugs. Fun, in any case, which is really all that matters. Read my spoiler post above if you want to see an example. Not too spoilery, imo, if you don't mind.

I feel like I kind of borked my character build though. Not really specializing in anything, and have been disbursing my skill points way too evenly after reading some other folks builds. I'm only level 5, so I guess I can make some good changes by level 10 or so.

Double D

Spookie said:
Vik_Vaughn: Roll back and speak to him before you do that.
Take his quest, find the evidence, he'll kill her and then you can buddy up. Prob will be a quest later to save his wife no doubt. Never took him as a buddy though.

Thanks man, will do. Another example of the karma system being jacked, though. In my mind I was
murdering an innocent old lady
, regardless of what would have actually played out.

IronRinn

I haven't seen it mentioned but many of the things from the Fallout 3 Tweakguide still work (including settings that affect RAM usage which I found beneficial):

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

As for the game once I got it running well it's been a blast though I'm finding only marginal differences between it and FO3, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Edit: Seems it was mentioned a few pages back. Nothin' to see here folks; move along!

Baha

Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah so many spoilers...

All I did was:
- set mines
- aggro assholes

Heh, you know that all you needed was a good melee weapon like spiked brass knuckles. I'm serious, you can take them on 1 on 1 with those knuckles and come out with more than half your health if you're good enough. It kills them pretty quickly too. I'm talking about Nightkin though, haven't faced Deathclaws yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Added Mods:

Companion Sandbox - When you set your companions to "wait", they randomly interact with the environment instead of standing and staring.
34955-1-1287748471.jpeg

Inventory Sorters - Gives tags to books, magazines, mods and cards to find them more easily in the inventory
34950-2-1287742883.jpg

Higher blood textures - Higher resolution for the blood textures
34917-1-1287716291.jpg

Complete List of Mods that I am using:

AddemptyBottle - Every time you drink nuke cola or purified water you get an empty bottle that...
BottleThatWater - ... you can refill when using a sink or other water source
BetterHeadshots - Increases the amount of damage made by a headshot (also to yourself)
CaravanCardFix - Fixes a bug where Caravan Cards were not added to your deck
CarryingCapacityIncrease - Raises the base value by approximately 100. with strength 5 you have 300 pounds you can carry
Companion De-Equip - You can equip and dequip companions as you like
EDTraits - Gives more choices for the starting traits
PerkEveryLevel - Well... choose a perk every time you level up. You wont get perks from levels you missed when installing the mod later.
RASrepairAll - Repair your stuff with all kinds of other stuff (wrenches, superglue...other equipment)
Further3rdPersonCamera - Gives you more Options on how to use the 3rd person Cam
Goacbc'sFreeplayAfterMQNV - Continue playing after you "finished" the game.
ImmaSightingMahLazor - Gives an aiming view to the laser pistol (really nicely done)
KillableKids - Couldnt test yet as I have yet to come across kids.
Unlimited Companions - Chose up to 6 companions. Be careful though as you dont want to hit max so that quest NPC's can still join you
PipWare UI New Vegas Edition[/B] - New UI with slightly smaller fonts for conversation, pipboy and items. Stats on one screen.
Companion Sandbox - When you set your companions to "wait", they randomly interact with the environment instead of standing and staring.
Inventory Sorters - Gibes tags to books, magazines, mods and cards to find them more easily in the inventory
Higher blood textures - Higher resolution for the blood textures

Other interesting mods I havent tested:
Jaysus Swords Mod - Give you 7 different knives and swords
Adventurers New Vegas - Gameplay and difficulty balance (e.g. no rare items in random chests)
AllRacesPlayable - You can play as everything except children
RealisticPhysics - Changes over the top physics to a more realistic version

Just copy to your data folder. If its a UI modd it overrides the current AI so if you consider going back to vanilla, make a copy of the files that are replaced.

Despera

Banned
Baha said:
Heh, you know that all you needed was a good melee weapon like spiked brass knuckles. I'm serious, you can take them on 1 on 1 with those knuckles and come out with more than half your health if you're good enough. It kills them pretty quickly too. I'm talking about Nightkin though, haven't faced Deathclaws yet.

I killed 8 Nightkins without losing more than a quarter of my health using a Sledgehammer. I can kill a Young Deathclaw with 3 to 4 hits. But adult Deathclaws are a different story. One of 'em is enough to mutilate you with 3 hits, and trying to kill them with melee takes too long.

I'd say facing one adult Deathclaw with full health is as dangerous as facing 10 Nightkins with half your health.

duckroll

I just completed Come Fly With Me. Holy shit that was a LONG quest line. Pretty awesome conclusion though. I really like how it involves a few different factions and individuals, and ultimately none of them are good or evil at all. It's possible to resolve the entire quest line with minimal bloodshed, but yet it's also possible for the quest to get very VERY evil on the player's part. Best of all, the entire quest line is hilarious because everyone involved in it is pretty much insane. :lol

Muddimar

My friend is in a great debate on whether he should get it for PS3 or 360. Any thoughts? I'm sure they are almost identical right?

Merguson said:
If anyone is interested in EDGE's review of Fallout: New Vegas, go here: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/fallout-new-vegas-review

They gave it a 6.
This thread is making me want to play...except after reading this review I might just go back and replay FO3 and get all the DLC or something. I beat the game but never got any of the DLC, do you guys suggest I start a new character or load up my old file and try to re-learn everything?

Usually in RPGs once I put them down I can't come back because I can't remember anything about inventory/story/gameplay/customization methodolgy/etc...

markot

Banned
Pretty bug free and no crashed after like 10 hours on pc >.<

I couldnt finish the spybot quest thingymachigga though...

IronRinn

epmode said:
So the mouse acceleration fix has stopped working for me and I don't know how to get it back. The lines following lines are in both my falloutprefs.ini and fallout.ini (under the Controls section):

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

edit: Actually, it still seems to be working in-game. The cursor is moving a LOT faster in the menu screens though, even with sensitivity at 0. Sigh, this game.

Apparently the latest Steam patch changed the file that needs to be edited. The new file is fallout_default.ini. Found the info in the comments here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902

zorbsie

Inventory sorter mod looks really useful. I wish I bought the PC version to add that. I'll wait for the inevitable steam sale to get it. :D

GreekWolf

Merguson said:
If anyone is interested in EDGE's review of Fallout: New Vegas, go here: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/fallout-new-vegas-review

They gave it a 6.
Probably to be expected. Edge recognizes there's a brilliant RPG submerged underneath all the bugs, but can't (in good faith) shrug off the technical glitches. On the other hand, Eurogamer considers New Vegas to be one of the best RPGs of the generation, despite it's technical shortcomings.

They're both right.

The Lamonster said:
This thread is making me want to play...except after reading this review I might just go back and replay FO3 and get all the DLC or something. I beat the game but never got any of the DLC, do you guys suggest I start a new character or load up my old file and try to re-learn everything?
If you enjoyed FO3 but skip New Vegas, you'll miss out on the better of the two experiences.

Ricker

Damn,level 7,on normal,didn`t touch the slider thing if there`s one in this one like Fallout 3 for difficulty,still no companions and the Come Fly Me quest is way too hard for now(the Nightkin part in the basement)...guess i`ll try and do what Cass wants or just roam around fighting ghouls and the like...

iammeiam

I now want to do a punching-based run solely based on the awesomeness of the
Paladin Toaster

My character, with a stunning 3 in strength and 7 in melée weapons can kill a Securitron in two punches with this thing.

Ricker

Celsior said:
360 patch is out

Not sure what it did,and I din`t have any problems really so far in about 8 hours of play but I still have that annoying elbow that comes up for no reason a lot of times when I use 2 hand weapons...

duckroll said:
I just completed Come Fly With Me. Holy shit that was a LONG quest line. Pretty awesome conclusion though. I really like how it involves a few different factions and individuals, and ultimately none of them are good or evil at all. It's possible to resolve the entire quest line with minimal bloodshed, but yet it's also possible for the quest to get very VERY evil on the player's part. Best of all, the entire quest line is hilarious because everyone involved in it is pretty much insane. :lol

I completed that quest line last night and really enjoyed it. Seems like there's a veritable ton of solutions to satisfying the goal.

Just kill everything
Just kill ghouls, leave nightkin alone
kill harland, help nightkin
kill just nightkin, help ghouls
help nightkin and ghouls
kill harland and kill nightkin
can you lie to manny that the ghouls have been removed ?

There's definitely a cookie at the end too, you can change the navigation of the rockets so they crash into each other :lol :lol

Overlee

firehawk12 said:
So what's the best way to get to the PNR?

Meet the various factions, get the chip, return it to Mr. House and then save?

Yeah thats exactly what you do.
Once you get the chip, talk to Mr. House, he'll take the chip (you get it back) then send you on a mission to the Legion Fort, do that then you'll be at the PNR and should be able to follow any path you want.

avcables

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Happened to me in FO3 and I was hoping they'd fix it for NV..

I played Fallout 3 on the 360 and I'm pretty sure they released a patch for that at one point. It almost feels as if Bethesda gave them an unfinished version or pre-patched version of Fallout 3 code to work with.

fizzelopeguss said:
This game goes to show just how awful bethesda have gotten at world building, something terrible happened to them after morrowind. And that something terrible was todd the coffee bitch howard being given a lead role.

I might be wrong but I think Obsidian pretty much build this world with the assets Bethesda supplied. They're working together on the patches, however.

I do think that Obsidian's unfamiliarity with the engine and all that jazz might've played a large part in these bugs, as well.

WanderingWind said:
Another small annoyance. You're a desert wanderer, killing creatures, solving problems and generally making the world a better, bloodier place. You come to an abandoned shack, the occupant dead from radscorpion stings. On the counter, a bottle of purified water. Perfect. You grab it. Suddenly, the negative karma gods say "NO UR A BAD PERSON." Negative karma. The karma system is just flat broken in this. Items in actual houses can show up blue, while random boxes show up red.

I think the idea behind this is that stealing is stealing. It is random among which items seem to have "belong to someone else" but it's more true to how I think it would be received in the real world.

DSN2K said:
what's the fix for the shitty frame rates outside on PC, no way should I be getting performance I am with this game, something must be up
Ikuu said:
Does anyone have a link for d3d9.dll that isn't MegaUpload, it's giving me some error when I try and download it from MegaUpload.

I uploaded this file to my Dropbox for easy access.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1091897/d3d9.dll

You can also find this file on your system already by searching your Windows folder for it, if you're worried about viruses and such. I tested both the one downloaded from MegaUpload, NewVegasNexus, and my own and they all seem to increase performance. The one linked from my Dropbox is the one from MegaUpload/NewVegasNexus, though, which apparently is the "right" one that works "best".

MattyH said:
so what exactly does the flask do it comes up you take a sip from the canteen when im near a water supply

You automatically drink from it, reducing your H2O levels. It's not infinite, though, and does so at a slower pace.

Whenever you drink from a water source, it fills up.

Sanic

So i'm a little confused as to what's going on right now... (late-ish game spoilers. If I had to guess, i'm probably at least 2/3 through the main quest. I've been in
The Strip
for quite a bit now.)

I felt a little overwhelmed at the fact that I suddenly had many factions, plus myself, thrown at me, so I was sort of just doing everything for everyone, at least initially. Now I initially sided with Mr. House and gave him the chip, but later changed my mind and started following the Wild Card quest. So i've disabled Mr House, failing the quest "The House always Wins, II", but now there is nothing going on with the Wild Card quest. All criteria for the quest have been completed, but it isn't giving me any additional objectives. Do I need to complete "Side Bet" before I can continue doing anything with Wild Card?

Additionally, am I understanding the overall flow of the game correctly, in that I will eventually need to side with just one group and move forward from there?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait... during the Come Fly With Me quest...

Is there a way that the Nightkin leader won't attack you after finding out there are no stealthboys at the facility? He immediately turned aggressive when I went to tell him. I even reloaded a few times to make sure he hadn't be glitched. Was I not supposed to kill any Nightkin after speaking to him that initial time?

anddo0

anddo0 said:
Can you keep companions locked away? If I leave one in a certain hotel room, will he/she still be there whenever I need them?

Guess I'll answer my own question...

If you leave a companion unattended too long, they will return to where you recruited them, and you lose their perk. I don't know if you can reacquire them as a companion, didn't try that.

mikeGFG

Banned
So, I sneaked into Vegas Outskirts at around level 2, maybe 3. Thinking that I could cut a few main-story locales and skip right to the good shit. I was able to do a little exploring, do a few quests, kill a few enemies with like most of my ammunition. But not too soon after, I was encountering enemies that were basically one-shotting me.

So I turn back, now level 4 or 5, headed for the main quest. Now I'm fucking mowing dudes down like they were ghouls :lol.

My question is, did Obsidian do away with the scaling leveling system from TES4/FO3?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Overlee said:
Yeah thats exactly what you do.
Once you get the chip, talk to Mr. House, he'll take the chip (you get it back) then send you on a mission to the Legion Fort, do that then you'll be at the PNR and should be able to follow any path you want.

Cheers!
For the Boomers, Khans and Brotherhood, can you basically complete their quests and get them on your side before making your choice for the end game? Or do those play out different depending on who you side with?

morningbus said:

Is there a way that the Nightkin leader won't attack you after finding out there are no stealthboys at the facility? He immediately turned aggressive when I went to tell him. I even reloaded a few times to make sure he hadn't be glitched. Was I not supposed to kill any Nightkin after speaking to him that initial time?
Hmm... either the game glitched on you, or you picked the wrong option. I killed a couple of nightkins because they would attack relentlessly while searching for that ghoul's girlfriend, but once I told him that the stealthboys were shipped back, he peacefully went on his way.

morningbus said:

He did not attack me when I gave him the news
his little Antler imaginary friend thingy convinced him that I was a truthful human and I told him where the stealthboys were shipped to. Come to think of it, maybe it was because I had that information? Did you use the computer in the catwalk near Harland? There's an email 'thread' documenting that the stealthboys get sent somewhere else.
or maybe his reaction has something to do with karma?

Top Bottom