• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famistu Metaphor: ReFantazio impressions, overall gameplay feels almost the same as the Persona series

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Metaphor: ReFantazio – 9/9/10/9 [37/40]

• The overall gameplay feels almost the same as the Persona series.
  • The thrill of reaching key climaxes is irresistible.
  • The story is highly immersive, with intense developments.
  • The battle system is similar to Persona, making it easy to get accustomed to, and offers a refreshing experience.
  • The action elements before the turn-based battles are also a nice touch.
  • There are many considerations throughout the game to make the gameplay smooth.
  • Although it feels a bit long-winded at times, it gradually helps you get accustomed to the game’s world and systems.
  • The coolness of the presentation is on another level.
  • The game feels akin to a classic RPG, making it accessible to a wide range of players.
  • It takes approximately 80 hours to complete, and 100 hours including additional challenges.

Similar to Persona isn't necessarily a bad thing. The gameplay is so engaging that I can always have more. Looking forward to the story unfolding as well. Persona is very few games that I knew I was playing as a high schooler but never felt cringy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The thrill of reaching key climaxes is irresistible.

Summoning Jack Frost to reach key climax.

uGg6p6K.jpeg

Seyken

• Although it feels a bit long-winded at times, it gradually helps you get accustomed to the game’s world and systems.
This is my main worry. I'm of the opinion that it's impossible to make a 100 hour game without a lot of fat, and the usual padding in Persona games is a lot of meaningless talk talk talk.

Like I said in another thread, pacing is Persona's 5 biggest flaw and the only reason why I'm waiting for reviews I trust for this game.

Matchew

Nah, it was reasonable to assume P Studio will continue Persona while Project Re Fantasy would bring more new stuff to the menu.
This was what I was hoping for. I like the battle system and style of Persona, but hate everything around it like the schedule. This being more like Persona is a big turn off for me. Also, the fact that the gameplay parts are extremely ugly, are telling me to wait for a sale or pass.

Last edited:

zapper

Amazing how being compared to Persona became an insult eventually.
something more was expected, simply, from a new ip announced 8 years ago.

several friends after playing the demo have cancelled the preorder, unanimously all recognize that it is too identical. me too, I will play dq3

Skelterz

Honestly the game is great from what I’ve played it’s essentially persona with a job system my only critique so far are more technically some of the effects in screen can be a tad much the graphics/textures aren’t the best but tbh in a game like this it’s not hugely important.

The last thing I wanted from Studio Zero was a game that was exactly like Persona with a fantasy skin but that's what we got

I'll probably pick it up on sale next year, I've already played P3R and SMTV:V this year so I'm kind of super burned out on the formula at the moment. I haven't even touched Episode Aigis yet

zapper

Why not both?
because metaphor is too long and the similarity to persona weighs on me too. this year ff7 rebirth has already drained me by requiring hundreds of hours, I prefer something less demanding both in terms of time and effort like dq3.

later I will definitely play metaphor too, maybe the royal/vengeance version

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I felt that it is as if this took place in an alternate dimension or something. It really felt like a more fluid Persona game with a better story. I say better because I am getting pretty sick of the whole highschool team shit, lol.
It's looking like a hybrid of all of Atlus's games. Primarilly SMT/Persona/Etrian Odyssey. The fact that Metaphor isn't just another Creature Collector(SMT/Persona) and has a Job System is a big deal. Plus since the story isn't high school drama and there is no romance in it's relationship/support system which makes it a plus.

You also have a clearly defined goal as opposed to High School traumas, figure shit out and decide whether to go Law, Chaos or Neutral in the middle of a Demon War or lol fill out the dungeon maps and fill up your Bestiary you peasant.

A lot of the systems are similar but implemented differently. I wouldn't call it a Persona clone. Those that do are probably mad this isn't Persona 6.

Jinzo Prime

The last thing I wanted from Studio Zero was a game that was exactly like Persona with a fantasy skin but that's what we got

I'll probably pick it up on sale next year, I've already played P3R and SMTV:V this year so I'm kind of super burned out on the formula at the moment. I haven't even touched Episode Aigis yet

I think its silly to release 3 very similar press-turn jrpgs in one year.

Killer8

I think the quality of the game is absolutely fine. I have issues with the ugly visuals and performance but the presentation and the core game are as good as you could expect from an Atlus production.

The issue is one of release scheduling and genre fatigue. This year alone we've had the Persona 3 remake, the Shin Megami Tensei V re-release (which is effectively a new game for most players given it broke the shackles of Switch exclusivity), and now this.

Considering the similarities between them, and how they're all 100 hour long games, it's a bit much for one year. Throw in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth too (a series which has its own fatigue issues) and we've been eating too good as far as JRPGs go.

Metaphor probably should've slipped into 2025.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Other than daily activities the actual combat is much more closer to SMT than Persona, Archetypes dont function like Persona or Demon in SMT because you cant fuse them and you cant change to different one in middle of the battle and they can get promoted in higher level similar to Job system.

I personally very happy they decided use press turn over once more system from Persona, to me Press turn is MUCH superior to Persona's combat.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Nuking bosses with spells that are their weakness while every other tool in your kit is useless gets old pretty fast after 5 Games now.
If you played any SMT game just hitting weakness it’s mostly useful in early parts but mid game through just hitting weakness is not enough. Buffs and Debuffs and strength based skills is going to be more useful in end game more than elements weakness.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I personally very happy they decided use press turn over once more system from Persona, to me Press turn is MUCH superior to Persona's combat.
What many seem to forget or maybe those who never played SMT's with Press Turn is that not only can you Press Turn but so can every Enemy.

Press Turn can serve to turn the tide either in the enemy's favor or yours but late game Buffs/Debuffs, Phys/Mag Reflect and Resistances(especially Null and Absorb) matter a whole lot more.

And much later while not MP efficient we delve into Almighty spam.

Danjin44

What many seem to forget or maybe those who never played SMT's with Press Turn is that not only can you Press Turn but so can every Enemy.

Press Turn can serve to turn the tide either in the enemy's favor or yours but late game Buffs/Debuffs, Phys/Mag Reflect and Resistances(especially Null and Absorb) matter a whole lot more.

And much later while not MP efficient we delve into Almighty spam.
I'm curious how Metaphor will handle this, because we no longer can fuse Demon make our ideal party set up and cover up weakness.

Also maybe we get these powerful Almighty attack with Synthesis attacks which it will use up our Press Turn.

Last edited:
the usual padding in Persona games is a lot of meaningless talk talk talk.
It's a JRPG. The main differentiator is dialog and narrative.

I'm imagining someone posting in a Gears of War thread asking, "how to fast forward through the shooting sections and just get to the cut-scenes already!"

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wasn't too fond of the demo. PC weirdness with the vsync locking to 30 fps and not 60 aside. There was little gameplay and a lot of crazy presentation craziness and changes. 90% cutscenes.

Persona 5's combat felt like either you wiped the entire enemy crew in one turn thanks to hitting weaknesses, or you were in for a bad time. I've never really played SMT. The system here feels more... flexible? I like it!

Danjin44

Persona 5's combat felt like either you wiped the entire enemy crew in one turn thanks to hitting weaknesses, or you were in for a bad time. I've never really played SMT. The system here feels more... flexible? I like it!
There is more risk and reward with Press Turn. In Persona if enemy blocks your attacks there is no penalty but in press turn if enemy blocks or you miss you would lose two press turn which can change entire tide of battle.

Zacfoldor

I wasn't too fond of the demo. PC weirdness with the vsync locking to 30 fps and not 60 aside. There was little gameplay and a lot of crazy presentation craziness and changes. 90% cutscenes.
I skipped the demo(I want to go in fresh), but usually the beginning of any jrpg is really cutscene heavy. Gotta learn to skim.

If anyone here reads books, if you read them regularly here is the secret non-book readers don't know. We skim. We might skim an entire chapter. There is no way to make it thru most books without skimming some. In videogames, especially jrpgs, it really helps to skim at least a little. The info will be repeated multiple times so feel free to skim.

Last edited:

Raven117

Played the demo. Doesn’t make the best first impression but gets more interesting story wise as it moves on.

To me it lacks the coolness of Persona games. (It’s still stylish though).

I’m sure it’s good, but the demo didn’t sell me on spending 100 hours on it and buying it day one.

too many games are long drawn out slogs right now. Im not ready for another one

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm curious if Metaphor will handle this, because we no longer can fuse Demon make our ideal party set up and cover up weakness.

Also maybe we get these powerful Almighty attack with Synthesis attacks which it will use up our Press Turn.
Given the Archetypes have 20 ranks(Job Level more or less) I think Almighty attacks from the High Tier Archetypes(Probably from Magic Users) will have the heavy hitters.

Instead of Demons we will have a party configuration of Archetypes/Job Class.

I don't expect it to be different from Job systems from FF5, Bravely Default or Xenoblade 3 as an example.

Where every party member can be every Class and you can mix and match passives and skills to synergize with each other or to brute force your way through fights.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm curious if Metaphor will handle this, because we no longer can fuse Demon make our ideal party set up and cover up weakness.

Digital Devil Saga made elemental reflect spells very common. It sounds OP but in that game you only had 3 press turns instead of 4, so using one to cast one of those instead of dealing damage could be more hurtful than helpful.

Loved the combat in that game, hope Metaphor's just as good if not better.

Seyken

It's a JRPG. The main differentiator is dialog and narrative.

I'm imagining someone posting in a Gears of War thread asking, "how to fast forward through the shooting sections and just get to the cut-scenes already!"
Yes, but the dialogue and narrative needs to stay interesting, no? And it's very, VERY hard to do so for 100+ hours.

Persona 5 has egregiously bad pacing. It starts with a freaking BANG and then meanders for a long time until it gets back on track.

It does a lot of things right, but Persona 4 pulls ahead precisely because it has a much more tight story and character dialogue. It still is a 60 hour game, but nowhere near the mammoth that is Persona 5.

Since it's exactly the same Press Turn from SMT, if you like it in this demo, grab SMTV:V on sale and have fun with loopy demon conversations in an edgy post apocalyptic Tokyo

Both P3R and SMTV:V run on the Unreal Engine and hold a perfect locked 60 fps with a 4K native res on PS5 and look and run great compared to Metaphor. One reason I'm disappointed in the demo is that it's such a massive technical downgrade from the other 2 Atlus RPG released this year

Last edited:
Gallica = Morgana, More = Igor, stop discrimination story line = commonality from this dev. I can't help but be a little disappointed with this path. I was hoping for something totally different in every aspect.

Top Bottom