• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantastic video doc: Why is broadband so cheap in the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
France = 30 euros a month for TV, phone, unlimited internet.

I pay fucking $41 for capped internet at 350gb, 5mbps, and $65 for my fucking cellphone, no TV!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Here is the section that should have been bolded:

We chose the UK because it's racing ahead in global rankings. Over the past decade, average speeds increased by 25 percent between 2009 and 2010, while prices have tumbled. Broadband service comparable to what we get here in the U.S. is available for less than $6 a month. And no, there isn't a zero missing there. Six bucks a month.

The telecoms chop up the broadband market into pieces in the US rather than competing with each other. The only way to switch cable internet providers is to move, in most cases. It's ridiculous.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, we get raped here so hard in the US.

Europe does at least two things right that we get wrong:
Media (internet, tv, phones)
Vacation time

If I could get HBO Go without directv, I would cancel directv. Instead I pay $80/month for stuff I don't watch so I can get HBO. Fucking absurd. We should have the right as customers to choose what we buy rather than be forced to buy bundles because media conglomerates forced it both on us and on the TV provider.

On top of all of that money being spent on TV, we average nearly 1/3 of TV time on explicit ads, and during the program it's littered with implicit ads. Why the fuck are we paying for losing our time? Netflix + HBO Go and fuck the rest.

To be fair to Time Warner Cable, their internet is impressively reliable. Only gone down briefly a few minutes twice in the some 4 years I've had it.

I think I've got everyone beat. I mean, look at that! I'm faster than 96% of the US! Yeah!
Plus, 5/11 is my birthday. And 64MBs. Like the Nintendo 64, which was awesome.

The good news*, however, is that I think I'm moving to Canada sometime next year from the US.

And by "good news" I mean "bad".

Mohonky

teh_pwn said:
Yeah, we get raped here so hard in the US.

Fuck off. Think you're being raped?

1367454226.png

$79 a month, no Phone, no TV. 100gb/100gb On / Off Peak Allowance.

I'd love to see the FCC play hardball and essentially force these companies into submission through European-style regulation, but as others have said, the companies are probably deep in the lobbying game with politicians.

Dina

Until 1,5 years ago I fared pretty well with 800kbs max download. I got 10mb now (student apartment) though.

satriales

A lot of it here in the UK depends on which part of the country you are in. I was in Bristol for the last 3 years and was able to get 20Mbps with no caps for £10 a month, but now I have moved back to Surrey and the best I can get is 2Mbps with 100GB cap for £20 a month.

We are supposedly able to get fibre optic in September though. :)

Cipherr

When google fiber goes live here next year I will switch immediately, I will cruise our cities roads and walk our cities sidewalks spreading the word, I will set ablaze the homes of the wicked time warner subscribers and drink the blood from their cauterized flesh, I will sing the digital hymn of the end of times and release the long oppressed hostage previously encumbered by Glenn Britts satanic sorcery. Gonna hit up speedtest.com too and see if the latency is better, current speed is fine, but the pings pretty bad.

Mohonky said:
Fuck off. Think you're being raped?

1367454226.png

$79 a month, no Phone, no TV. 100gb/100gb On / Off Peak Allowance.

The saddest part is the 'faster than 98% of AU' in the lower right corner. Poor Aussies. ;_;

1367580877.png

Remember that Comcast uses Powerboost which inflates Speedtest.net. What I actually pay for is 20mbps and I pretty much get it on the nose after the first 30 seconds of a download.

alr1ghtstart said:
but you have caps.

Virgin media supposedly have an unspecified 'fair usage' cap, but I'll be damned if I've ever managed to pass that mark, even with the often ridiculously large downloads I make.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
the cellphone situation in america seems worse to me. I havent paid a cellphone bill in over a year and apparently americans pay for incoming text? :/

Internet in aus is pretty good in some spots..heres mine
1367605638.png

I have about 500gig for AUD$70 with phone
but all aus plans have crappy uploads and if you sign up with the so-called no cap providers its a downhill slide

Goldrusher

The article is a bit misleading, as Europe is big and each country is different.

Only in a handful nations, you can have fast, unlimited and cheap internet and/or triple-play packages.

Kabouter

Goldrusher said:
The article is a bit misleading, as Europe is big and each country is different.

Only in a handful nations, you can have fast, unlimited and cheap internet and/or triple-play packages.
Well, I wouldn't say a few anymore, internet connections are getting pretty good across much of Europe, though, from your post I'm assuming Belgium is a major exception still.

BeeDog

1367618587.png

Thank lord for Sweden. Costs around 42€ a month (and this company is generally classified as the worst broadband company over here too!).

I pay for 25 mbps (sometimes it goes under with lots of traffic at peak hours like this) and 1mbps up.

20euros, no band caps and with unlimited phone. France.

captainraincoat said:
Internet in aus is pretty good in some spots..heres mine
1367605638.png

I have about 500gig for AUD$70 with phone
but all aus plans have crappy uploads and if you sign up with the so-called no cap providers its a downhill slide

In all the speedtest wank threads I have never seen a fellow Aussie with more than 30mb/s.

Are your a wizard?

euti

Neo Member
took the Deutsche Telekom about 10 years to expand their service to our little village in the middle of nowhere
1367719134.png

costs 35€ a month with phone and no cap, and it might be upgradeable to vdsl50 in the near future.

Binabik15

I feel quite ripped off with my speed and cost in "rural" Southern Germany in a 20k people town 30 km from Heidelberg with a 3mb connection for 50€. Hey, it could be up to 6mb. Theoretically. Sometimes. Once they lay new cables in a few decades.

My dad has 16 mb in the same town, dammit.

I hate all of you.

cajunator

Banned
My city has a fiber line connecting everything inside its limits and run by the utility company itself. The cost is about 55$/month for symmetrical 50 mbps up/down. Usually though we get about 100 down and 80 up. Its pretty awesome.

Karud

Germany developed pretty fast due to pushing the Deutsche Telekom from their monopol. Still prices for mobile network and high (more than 16k) broadband connections are very high compared to other EU-nations like sweden, or the netherlands.

I pay about ~60€/month including telephone and TV.

1367830855.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1367862459.png

About €20 a month.

ndreamer

our download quota's have improved a fair bit in australia over the last year or so, prices are still pretty steap.

$70 gets me. 200gig download
1367853072.png

wireless is the biggest joke here, $100 gets you 10-15gig of downloads.

I'm from the UK and only have a DL speed of 4MB/S, the whole infrastructure is shit because a private company owns all of the phone lines in the UK. Yeah, you can get another ISP but you still have to pay the owner of the line (British Telecom) every month just for having their cables underneath your house.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Kabouter said:
Well, I wouldn't say a few anymore, internet connections are getting pretty good across much of Europe, though, from your post I'm assuming Belgium is a major exception still.
Spain's broadband is pretty dreadful. It's a clear example of what happens when telecoms start hiring former (and sometimes active) politicians left and right.

strata8

In cases like Australia/New Zealand it's a bit hard to blame the providers as it's probably due to our isolation from the rest of the world and low population density. Maybe the NBN will improve things a little.

Internet in Canada is so awesome. We pay $50/month for a 10M/512k connection. CAPPED at 60 GB, with a ridiculous $2/GB overage fee.

BTW, we live in a dense, metropolitan city of 2.5 million people, so the "all spread out" argument doesn't hold any water at all.

Road

1367926867.png

~US$70 ($45--Internet + $25--Phone).

Not only it is expensive, it has horrible ping and upload. At least they don't enforce the usage limits (which already do exist by contract). I cannot even find a good server to test that is not hundreds of miles away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom