• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantastic video doc: Why is broadband so cheap in the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

You guys make me sick.. Goddamn. Here in Newfoundland our bills are like $150+ for everything (TV/Phone/Internet) and we only get like 7Mb/512kb if we're lucky. F'ing hell. At least Fiber is coming this fall.. but its still a rape job. Disgusting.

Having lived in the UAE, I love how much faster/cheaper broadband is in the US. (That says a lot.)

I think we used to have 4 Mb/s internet, which cost around $122 per month.
Unfortunately, we rarely got download speeds better than 30-50 KB/s, so we downgraded to the affordable 2 Mb/s priced at only $95. What really seals the deal for me, though, is the censored internet & blocked websites, non-existent upload speeds, terrible customer service, and not even getting what you pay for. Bless this region.

Interestingly enough, it seems to be pretty comparable to South American countries.

How I wish that I had the glorious internets of my homeland, Sweden. :( Having Comcast now is a godsend in comparison, though.

dudeworld

pestul said:
You guys make me sick.. Goddamn. Here in Newfoundland our bills are like $150+ for everything (TV/Phone/Internet) and we only get like 7Mb/512kb if we're lucky. F'ing hell. At least Fiber is coming this fall.. but its still a rape job. Disgusting.

and the thing is, all the speedtest pics are measured in megaBYTES per second. Your "7mb/512kb" is measured in megaBITS per second.

7mbps in MB/s is 0.875 so if you want to compare your speed to other people in the thread you need to use 0.875MB/s

milanbaros said:
Well here in the UK I pay less than $15 for a similar setup, unlimited, but if you're happy...

From who? No UK consumer BB has upload speeds like that and you're not getting download speeds like that with anything less than fibre.

Famassu

Unlimited 100/10mbps connection for 19€ a month here. That's about 28$.

Though, often I only get about half of the max speed. Still, that's more than enough for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom