• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Arveene

Neo Member
You need 3 protection stones, which only drop from mobs in trial of light OR if you're super lucky, from chests. I don't want to farm chests for 20hours to get 3 rare drops out of them. Unless there's another way I'm not aware of. It's just too unreliable of a way, this is the only life that seems to have that though, every other one has easy to get materials outside the tower(or well not that easy but still reasonable).

I farmed three protection stones in about 10 minutes yesterday. You can use the house or inn to reset them. My luck was around 45 I think. Give it a go, I think you'll get them pretty quickly.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
You need 3 protection stones, which only drop from mobs in trial of light OR if you're super lucky, from chests. I don't want to farm chests for 20hours to get 3 rare drops out of them. Unless there's another way I'm not aware of. It's just too unreliable of a way, this is the only life that seems to have that though, every other one has easy to get materials outside the tower(or well not that easy but still reasonable).

I farmed three protection stones in about 10 minutes yesterday. You can use the house or inn to reset them. My luck was around 45 I think.

What Arveene said. It really doesn't take that long at all. I just kept opening the chests by the Ancient Dragon, and at that point I only had 5 luck. Took me 5-10 minutes.

Oh that changes everything, I assumed it was just a rare random chest item shared with everything else so it'd never drop, guess it's more like uncommon than rare then. Guess I'll go do that. Thanks. I'm not even 100 for Trial of Light anyway :(

Machine

I started working on getting cook up to legend. Getting each sub-skill up to level 15 is going to be monotonous. I baked over 100 magical pies and I still haven't gotten there for egg & veggie. I imagine meat and seafood will be even worse. This may take longer than mining 400 times or chopping 500 trees.

Niraj

Please tell me you can respec in this game, I think going full INT/Luck was a huge mistake D:

You can after you finish the story.

I started working on getting cook up to legend. Getting each sub-skill up to level 15 is going to be monotonous. I baked over 100 magical pies and I still haven't gotten there for egg & veggie. I imagine meat and seafood will be even worse. This may take longer than mining 400 times or chopping 500 trees.

Are you doing those on auto? You get a lot less experience if you do, though I wonder if it would still be faster in the long run. I just did them one at a time and it wasn't too bad, but I watched TV at the same time lol. For seafood definitely do the desert fish stew, you can buy all those ingredients in Al Maajik. If you have Mercenary up to master, do the monster meat ones (forget the name offhand, sorry. I think you need sugar nuts or great tree nuts though).

If you have the DLC it's a bit easier since you can buy dragon meat and make a bunch of roasts of legend. And you could get the pride item that doubles your skill experience gain too I suppose.

Chaos17

Becoming Legend ins cooking it the most demanding challenge of all the game, imo XD

Please tell me you can respec in this game, I think going full INT/Luck was a huge mistake D:
I am mostly STR/VIT since I am focusing more on armor/crafts and nothing is putting up a challenge. Going to try a Mustard Dragon for a challenge.
Game is pretty addictive though. So much better to make your own gear than to buy them.

egads

Neo Member

This is a bit of a spoiler, so read at your own risk.
You can respec once you complete the story, in the Al Maajik library at night for 30K.

Stats are mostly nice for gathering lives. Crafting and combat, it helps obviously(quite a bit really if you max the correct stats), but you can live without. Gathering the special stuff without good stats is a pain, you need to grind your skill up a fair amount before you can even attempt them and it requires a bunch of SP consumables(assuming you're not fishing, in which case you're out of luck). The god-in-training challenges are especially hard if you don't have the right stats for the job, or craft a new tool that's better than the legendary one.

Farmed those protector stones, really was easy, lucky I complained about it and people corrected me ^^. I just need to gather a few more things to get God Tailor stuff done, got God Hunter done in the meantime, and wow what a jump in power. Obviously the God skill and ultimate upgrade is nice but you get a new combo move to your main combo and the special arrows are massively boosted(poison went from 2 per tick to 62 per tick, so yeah). Also finally hit 92+ so I can get 2 skills at 100, feels good.

Being able to break bounty boxes yourself is the stupidest goddamn thing in this game. Attack is the same button as pick up. Genius game design right there. Obviously you have to be careful but I've seriously broken so many boxes by accident.

Outside of that dumb thing does the game get harder at any point? I'm pretty early on (lv 13 or something Paladin) and just steamrolling everything I come across.

Being able to break bounty boxes yourself is the stupidest goddamn thing in this game. Attack is the same button as pick up. Genius game design right there. Obviously you have to be careful but I've seriously broken so many boxes by accident.
Worst thing in the game indeed. Happens so often for me as well :(
Outside of that dumb thing does the game get harder at any point? I'm pretty early on (lv 13 or something Paladin) and just steamrolling everything I come across.
not until you finished the tutorial story

Hit level 36 and have Expert in every job but Alchemist and Carpenter.
I also finished Chapter Six and was very very thankful for the ability to skip text by holding X.
When I first started the game I was charmed by the dialogue, but now it just goes on and on and on and I'm not normally one to get bored by dialogue, no matter the quality.
There are so many allies to recruit and I'll never use probably 95% of them. :p

Machine

Are you doing those on auto? You get a lot less experience if you do, though I wonder if it would still be faster in the long run.

I am doing them on auto in batches of 10 because I figure I might as well make money while I'm doing it. All the ingredients are available in Al Maajik so it's not complex, just repetitive. I'll do some more while I watch tv tonight and see how far I get.

egads

Neo Member
Is there a consensus about the best stats to max or which ones help the most?

It depends on your combat life. Combat is really the only thing in the game that requires stats. So, if you're using a sword, STR, magic, INT and bow, DEX. I would max one of those first. Then it sort of depends. I think VIT is helpful to max second, but it might've been because I used a sword. Otherwise, I think LUCK is the second or third to be maxed, because it increases crit chance and rare material drops.

It depends on your combat life. Combat is really the only thing in the game that requires stats. So, if you're using a sword, STR, magic, INT and bow, DEX. I would max one of those first. Then it sort of depends. I think VIT is helpful to max second, but it might've been because I used a sword. Otherwise, I think LUCK is the second or third to be maxed, because it increases crit chance and rare material drops.

As I said earlier, I'd say Gathering stats are a lot more important unless you have a higher level crafter making good tools(which is unlikely since you can't gather the stuff to make them). This is mostly for the special nodes though, which means it's mostly for progressing through the challenges, as gathering normal nodes require almost nothing. Even with a good tool and a decent skill, if you don't have the stats you can run into nodes you simply can't do.

For combat obviously more damage is nice, but at the same time nothing really requires more damage to beat, as long as you do "some" damage, which if you're using a kinda up to date weapon you will always do. Maybe not god rank requests and ancient tower stuff, but everything else including gold bounty bosses, you'll damage if you have a semi decent weapon even with 0stats.

Assuming you want to do combat stats though, it's STR for 1H sword(paladin), VIT for 2H sword(merc), INT for Magician and DEX for Hunter. Note that Merc can also use STR at the same ratio, but VIT also provides defense, while STR does nothing else but dmg, so stacking VIT is a ton better on a merc. After that every life has 2 secondary stats which give half the main stat contribution, full list at http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

Luck is a great all around stat, but it doesn't help with "requirements" to actually do stuff. You'd probably want to keep it as a 2nd or 3rd stat, basically a stat dump once you have enough of your main stat and maybe of your secondary. I'd avoid it early on, I went 50luck myself at first and regretted it, was very happy when I eventually respeced out of it.

Guys! I bought this game but I can't motivate myself to go through the beggining. Hype me! Do something :-(
What exactly do you need help with? Just keep going. This game is amazing, but there are parts where you'll have to read extended amounts of dialogue, but for the most part you have freedom and choice in abundance.

Linius

I wanna respec to become the best possible blacksmith in my current situation. What would be the best way to do this? Not quite sure which stats I should boost. At least strength.

Also got over a million dosh now because of all the carpenting and smithing I've done. My money problems are in the past now. I made 30 Maajik Blades, 30 ancient pickaxes. About 60 famous angler rods. And another 30 ancient saws. Also did all the beams and ingots I needed for that by hand. Nothing in batches. It's best way to gain XP and make money on the side too I guess.

I wanna respec to become the best possible blacksmith in my current situation. What would be the best way to do this? Not quite sure which stats I should boost. At least strength.

Also got over a million dosh now because of all the carpenting and smithing I've done. My money problems are in the past now. I made 30 Maajik Blades, 30 ancient pickaxes. About 60 famous angler rods. And another 30 ancient saws. Also did all the beams and ingots I needed for that by hand. Nothing in batches. It's best way to gain XP and make money on the side too I guess.

I linked the stats webpage from the wiki a few posts back. The main stat for Blacksmith is Vitality. The secondary stats are Strength and Focus. That means that every point of vitality is twice as good as strength or focus. If you want to spec specifically for it, you want 100vitality, then 100str and focus, then the rest in luck. That'd be to maximize the points you have in blacksmithing though, and realistically you don't need nearly as many points. Luck also plays a potentially more important role than secondary stats in achieving high quality. Not sure really, so it's up to you. The 100vit however are most likely the best investment.

Chaos17

Guys! I bought this game but I can't motivate myself to go through the beggining. Hype me! Do something :-(

Take a watch and look on the minutes on it and you will notice that in the begining the intro isn't long at all because :

- Intro (story+first job turorial) > about 1 hour long.
Second day, you're free do what you like.

- Job tutorial > about 30 mins long each
- Butterfly quest > about 5 mins long each
- 1 story arc > about 1 hour long

All depend about your reading speed, so it can take less to go through them.
So no the begining is not the endless bottom pit of hell at all and in the end the reading part of this game is really short comapred to any classical rpg.
Bear with it, please, it's not that long. Just remember that you're free between each story arc do whatever you like.

My cousin and her husband invited me along for a boss rush last night.
We (well...they) killed all the main ones on the mainland, then we headed to Origin Island and took out a few there.
I gained 6 levels, going from 36-42. :p

Jhoan

Started playing this game a few days ago and it's so addictively charming and fun. Just finished the Blacksmith introductory quest after starting out as a Mercenary. Still in the beginning of the game but it's pretty damn good aside from all the dumb fetch quests which the game is self-aware of. I read the OP's useful tips and started investing in the inventory expansion although I did pick a pet companion as my initial reward since even though they suck, they make good diversions for stronger foes. I like this game a lot otherwise. Would definitely be down to play online with some folks.

Grizzo

You lose friendship if you don't revive an ally?

Grr.

That's so dumb!

I was in the Trial of Darkness the other day and I wanted to revive one of my ally who died on the warp point that takes you to the floor below. So I went to her and pressed "A" but it registered as me wanting to use the warp point, so I got out while leaving her for dead (I didn't even want to get out, just to bring her back to life)

After that, when I chose to disband my party, it said "Fern left without saying a word" instead of "had a blast!" or "had a good time!". Jeez, what a sensible girl.

God Alchemist done, Magician on the way. Took like 30mins to get to Hero but now I have to do all the "kill 10 enemies with X" and unlike other classes, Magician has like 3 of each, so I have to kill 30enemies with charged A, 30 with charged X, 30 with double charged A, 30 with double charged X and 30 with the ultimate. I actually wonder though, if the challenge for the first ultimate will work with the 2nd, since I skipped all the way.

Probably gonna do paladin quickly after, the same way. Basically I look up all the challenges at once so I can do everything in an area before moving on, a lot less backtracking. Like I'll put all the Mt Snowpeak, Lava Cave, Waterfall Cave and Summit together on a little list, and I do them all at once. You don't need the challenges to complete them, even the challenges given by weird NPCs, so that's cool.

Also did a lot of the God quests so got a nice bunch of coins(which is already all gone into buying essentials, but now I'm done buying stuff so I can just start playing the RNG statue game). Only ones I haven't done yet are combat classes and Miner/Woodcutter. I don't want to bother crafting gathering tools just yet as I don't gather anything anymore and the combat ones are really rough so haven't bothered, I'll probably do trial of times a few times to get the crafting mats I want before I start with these.

Something I just figured out - you can sneak with Bounties. That makes it easier to return to bounty clerks without killing monsters (to protect your bounties) since they basically don't aggro you when sneaking.

If you're having trouble getting to Legend in Cooking, keep these three recipes in mind: Legendary Corn, Roast of Legend and Desert Fish Stew. Easy to find ingredients, good XP, and a great cash return.

You get the Roast of Legend recipe from Port Puerto's Restaurant when you're a Hero.

Niraj

If you're having trouble getting to Legend in Cooking, keep these three recipes in mind: Legendary Corn, Roast of Legend and Desert Fish Stew. Easy to find ingredients, good XP, and a great cash return.

You get the Roast of Legend recipe from Port Puerto's Restaurant when you're a Hero.

Roast of Legend is only easy if you have the DLC though, otherwise you have to get lucky with the silver and golden dragons.

Linius

I finished that trial of time. But I was pretty pissed with
these three giants at the second to last floor. I brought Medusa and Deadly Medusa bounties with me in the hopes of getting that Spell Stone +. But those giants destroyed them on purpose and there's no way for me to both defend my bounties and defeat three giants. Any idea how to secure those bounties?

Niraj

I finished that trial of time. But I was pretty pissed with
these three giants at the second to last floor. I brought Medusa and Deadly Medusa bounties with me in the hopes of getting that Spell Stone +. But those giants destroyed them on purpose and there's no way for me to both defend my bounties and defeat three giants. Any idea how to secure those bounties?

If you got those bounties after the 4th floor, you can go back down. Otherwise you just have to leave them in a corner and draw their attention to you so they don't go after them.

Linius

If you got those bounties after the 4th floor, you can go back down. Otherwise you just have to leave them in a corner and draw their attention to you so they don't go after them.

No idea you could get back down to the bounty lady. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way. I was so mad when I saw that giant destroying my bounties. Then I kicked his ass.

Niraj

No idea you could get back down to the bounty lady. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way. I was so mad when I saw that giant destroying my bounties. Then I kicked his ass.

lol. Yeah, I think the only point where you can't go back down is when you reach the floor with the second bounty clerk. Just keep in mind that the enemies will come back. I had a problem with some protector enemies in the trial of light where I wanted to cash all their bounties, but if you killed just one, the other two would destroy it almost immediately. So I just went back down and came back up and they were back.

I did Magical Pies instead of Legendary Corn, since the corn uses Legendweed which is a limited ressource. I had like 60 but still felt like I'd rather not waste them to save 5mins of autocrafting food anyway. Magical Pies is all vendor stuff and is Master so still gives decent xp. Roast is great if you have the DLC but otherwise you want to do Juicy Monster Meat. Desert Fish Stew is nice, any of these 3 recipes work though, you can do the fire or ice stews also, but the vendor is pretty far.

Cooking was pretty easy overall, but I did have the pride. For Tailor it was more annoying, I made a bunch of Umbra Hoods and Umbra Robes to get a bit of the other skills up, but it goes slower since you have to make them one by one. Alchemist I made a bunch of Diamond Rings(Onyx rings work too), need a blacksmith to make the celestial ingots though, generally the preferred recipe is Bombs but I already had 14 in Compound Alchemy so I wanted to get Accessories Alchemy up.

Linius

lol. Yeah, I think the only point where you can't go back down is when you reach the floor with the second bounty clerk. Just keep in mind that the enemies will come back. I had a problem with some protector enemies in the trial of light where I wanted to cash all their bounties, but if you killed just one, the other two would destroy it almost immediately. So I just went back down and came back up and they were back.

Good to know. I'll bring enough SP and HP refreshments. I just need a couple of items from that trial so I can make myself a decent armour set and sword. I'm gonna need to kill that huge beast in the rocky hill shrines too I noticed.

Meanwhile I'm close to hitting the 100 hours. And that's something very special in my gaming life, the amount of games I've played 100+ hours can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Push through it. Once you get past the start you can skip job quests and have multiple jobs. I suggest paladin/miner/blacksmith for the first three jobs to focus on.
It is fun to be able to make your own equipment. Got all Iron and now Silver is next. Too bad the story sucks, but I can get over it.

Niraj

Hell yeah, she is!

I hoped I could recruit her as a God but alas.. She did talk about something along the lines of accompanying me but I can't add her to my party. T-T

You just have to accept the special request and then you can.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm sure you guys already know this, but I found it nice that you don't really have to actually be in a specific Life to get most of its accomplishments. Unless it's specifically written in the Life quest that you need to be in that specific Life in order to gain the accomplishment. So, for example, I can be a Paladin wondering in a cave and if I see some ores I want to mine, I can get the accomplishment for mining those ores. That really helped me streamline the gameplay so I don't travel back to the guild to change my Life to a miner just to go back and mine the ores.

Also, this is my home... paying my respect to her pirateness :)
jxKRvRE.jpg

Got everything at God rank, Paladin was faster than Magician. Now the Trials grind is left, I need to get a few drops from Trial of time to craft stuff to be able to craft stuff with the materials I'll get in the next 2 trials. Almost there! I'll probably need to fit in some fishing too, need to get some gold coins to try to get the crafting gear from the goddess statues.

Linius

The paladin request is impossible for me at this point (Lv. 77 currently). He one hit KO's me when I'm wearing my strongest armour :p

Trying to find the Spell Stone + but those Deadly Medusa's don't show up again in the trial of time. Gonna try the trial of darkness later on I think. But first I'm gonna try to beat that Hell Gigante so I can make myself that Officer's Armour set.

EDIT

Well the Hell Gigante was an easy fight :p

Grizzo

I'm sure you guys already know this, but I found it nice that you don't really have to actually be in a specific Life to get most of its accomplishments. Unless it's specifically written in the Life quest that you need to be in that specific Life in order to gain the accomplishment. So, for example, I can be a Paladin wondering in a cave and if I see some ores I want to mine, I can get the accomplishment for mining those ores. That really helped me streamline the gameplay so I don't travel back to the guild to change my Life to a miner just to go back and mine the ores.

Well the opposite would have been a real inconvenience and a major flaw in the game's design in my opinion, so yeah, thankfully they did it that way!

Top Bottom