• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

MicH

Tailor is boring, I started out with that life and quickly switched to fishing and archery :(

Does cook get more exciting as time goes by or is it always those three simple tasks where you have to press A at the right time? (it's even more simple than that as a tailor)

I'm pretty sure all the Crafting job mini games function in basically the same way (Only one I haven't tried is Cool).
Yes, always the same three tasks (across all crafting lives). As you rank up the dishes get harder to make though as the difficulty increases

Kouriozan

By the way, the dragon pet of the DLC is in the last zone of the main game
floating isle or something, dunno its English name
, so you can get it before going to Origin Island too, like the bird.

Grizzo

This topic is killing me, and I love it. One more month or so.

So, after a few days, and I am assuming a sleepless weekend for a few of you... what are your favorite (general) bits about this game? Are you happy with the lives you chose to start with? Would you spend the last couple days differently in game if you could do it again? What have you learned? HYPE ME MORE!

I started out as a tailor but it didn't feel that exciting so I changed to fisherman. Thankfully switching through Lives is easy as hell, so I also decided to try woodcutting, cooking and archery.

You can't have any regrets in this game because it is just so open-ended. You're not stuck with your Life choice. Think of it more like a glorified power-up system. You can do pretty much what you want, whenever you want. There are tons of places to explore, tons of people to talk to, tons of things to do. So far... so good!

I'm pretty sure all the Crafting job mini games function in basically the same way (Only one I haven't tried is Cool).

Yes, always the same three tasks (across all crafting lives). As you rank up the dishes get harder to make though as the difficulty increases

Alright thanks! Looking forward to mastering the Cook life.

ramyeon

Man... what gives with the Dragon Scab in the Lava Cave? I *still* can't even damage it. Couldn't touch the Wingstone in the Desert's underground caves either. I have the best pick axe I can get at the moment and I'm almost a Master Miner.... don't get it.

Kouriozan

Man... what gives with the Dragon Scab in the Lava Cave? I *still* can't even damage it. Couldn't touch the Wingstone in the Desert's underground caves either. I have the best pick axe I can get at the moment and I'm almost a Master Miner.... don't get it.
Same as me then.
That's why I tried to restart, but apparently I'm missing something because the NPC isn't there, and I did finish the story.

ramyeon

Same as me then.
That's why I tried to restart, but apparently I'm missing something because the NPC isn't there, and I did finish the story.
NPC? What NPC is supposed to be there?

As a side note just destroyed the Blaze Wraith, these guys aren't so scary with the Paladin's master move.

Edit: I have Steele the legendary Blacksmith in that Secret Smith part of the Cave, but I don't think he has anything to do with the Scab. Surely it can't be endgame since it was a Challenge given to me as an Adept Miner?

Edit 2: Second Life mastered!

zlCfzSff3XI9tS7y57

With Master rank I got a bunch of new items at the Mole store on Snowpeak Summit. Bought this 26,000 Dosh Mole Pick Axe and with that I can finally mine the Dragon Scab and other stuff! :D

zlCfzSfgG9MfCqWuvp

Linius

You're going strong Ramyeon! School day today so I won't have much time before later tonight I'm afraid :(

omg, daydreaming, that post is a goldmine. All the soundtracks are there :D

Hedge

I mastered woodcutter and paladin yesterday, and if I have the time I'll be mastering both mining and blacksmithing.
Are all of the sacred tree logs part of a recipe, or is it a quest? Or something else?

daydream

Banned
You're going strong Ramyeon! School day today so I won't have much time before later tonight I'm afraid :(

omg, daydreaming, that post is a goldmine. All the soundtracks are there :D

Yeah, it's awesome. I don't know why every song is stretched to play for 10 hours, but hey, at least they're on YT. :p

ramyeon

Haha I actually had to take a bit of a break from this today, been investing waaaay too much time into it. That said next I think I'm gonna hit up Angler and get that Mastered. I was surprised to see that there's still a rank after Master (Hero), is that the last rank?

Hedge

Haha I actually had to take a bit of a break from this today, been investing waaaay too much time into it. That said next I think I'm gonna hit up Angler and get that Mastered. I was surprised to see that there's still a rank after Master (Hero), is that the last rank?

I believe Hero is the last rank, unless you have the DLC.

After Nature

Neo Member
Had planned to do some adventuring yesterday but didn't find the time, and today us back to work day so here I am having to wait until tonight to go back to castele.

:(

How does the multiplayer work? You can only do side missions, right? No story?
Would love to try it.

daydream

Banned
Had planned to do some adventuring yesterday but didn't find the time, and today us back to work day so here I am having to wait until tonight to go back to castele.

:(

How does the multiplayer work? You can only do side missions, right? No story?
Would love to try it.

I mean, doing the story stuff in co-op would be super boring since you're not actually doing any fighting to progress the story, so I think it makes sense that they're excluding story missions.

But yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I'd love to try out some co-op soon!

Hedge

I have the DLC, so there's more after Hero? Wow, this game is gonna keep me busy for awhile haha.
If I recall correctly, the DLC adds
a new rank called "God" and raises the level cap from 100 to 200.
I'd only get the DLC for the extra character creation options, but I already made my character.

Has anyone reached the DLC content at level 50+? And if so, is it just the same as the main game but high level?

After Nature

Neo Member
I mean, doing the story stuff in co-op would be super boring since you're not actually doing any fighting to progress the story, so I think it makes sense that they're excluding story missions.

But yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I'd love to try out some co-op soon!

Let's plan a play date. :)
We are in the same time zone so hopefully it will be fairly easy to set up.

ramyeon

This guy put up a fight... Found him by accident (And a Cactusfish) when doing Expert > Master challenges. They're both Master challenges but I love that it gives you the complete challenge even if you hadn't unlocked it yet.

zlCfzSfhVAszni-QmW

Edit: Another one down!

zlCfzSfhdYk-1jqOwj

Chaos17

Yesterday was good day for me.

I started a moe character named Aimi.
zlCfzSfZmI0nHNuLci

On my main character, I've moved to second town.
New town mean, new armor and new hairstyle for my tsundere.
Her hair grew longer.
4l8qQ4g.png

The shell amour was not good on her at all -.-'

ramyeon

So the way I understand it you can mine/fish/cut wood even if you're not in the corresponding life ?
Yeah you can. Some challenges require you to return a bounty with the specific class, but you can just switch to the class you need right before handing in the bounty. Skills like mining, woodcutting, fishing can all be used in any Life once they've been learned once.

But there are perks to being in the corresponding Life. Such as Life specific skills that aid in Fishing/Mining/Cutting and that more Fish show up as an Angler for example (I'm pretty sure the "boss" fish only show up if you're an Angler as well... correct me if I'm wrong but that's my anecdotal experience).

Robin64

So the way I understand it you can mine/fish/cut wood even if you're not in the corresponding life ?

As long as you've learnt how, yeah. But you get more items per gather if you are doing it as the correct Life.

It'd be interesting to try and make a character that doesn't kill a single enemy the entire game. It was said you could do this, but we all started shanking things with our dagger as a Woodcutter anyway!

Maiar_m

As long as you've learnt how, yeah. But you get more items per gather if you are doing it as the correct Life.

It'd be interesting to try and make a character that doesn't kill a single enemy the entire game. It was said you could do this, but we all started shanking things with our dagger as a Woodcutter anyway!

Yeah I thought about it as well, you could do it in theory if you had some muscle along with your, but even in the story quests you're expected to be packing up some form of weapon. Sure, you don't have to land any killing blows, but still, you'll have to hit something.

Plus really, there are so many awesome things to kill, why not do it? :p

Robin64

Yeah I thought about it as well, you could do it in theory if you had some muscle along with your, but even in the story quests you're expected to be packing up some form of weapon. Sure, you don't have to land any killing blows, but still, you'll have to hit something.

Plus really, there are so many awesome things to kill, why not do it? :p

Oh yeah, indeed, so not for a main file! No way. Gotta kill those things.

But keep in mind, I made a character that levelled up in World of Warcraft without killing anything, so these sort of challenges are fun for me. ;)

Linius

These rubies are incredibly rare. Maybe I should try returning as a miner because that seems to enhance your chances at rare stuff.

The tuna also only showed up when I came as an angler.

ramyeon

So close to being a Hero Angler. Anyone know where Cacto Cove is?

Edit: Nevermind, found it but it's not accessible yet! Guess I should probably go on with the story a bit.

Question for anyone that has mastered the Mining Life...

Are there any moles that join your time in that life? I really hope so, because they are too cute.

ramyeon

Question for anyone that has mastered the Mining Life...

Are there any moles that join your time in that life? I really hope so, because they are too cute.
Nope :( they're just in each town and give you hints about mining spots. Unless something unlocks after getting Hero or Legend.

Cerity

Been catching up with my chinese girl cartoons all day, time to put some hours in, hopefully I'll get to master in mining before bed.

Robin64

Really, you mean sales wise?

I sure hope so. I really want this to be successful, since I'm pretty sure Fantasy Life 2 is inevitable. I want the series to take off in the English markets too.

I'm not sure how many sales it equates to, but it came in at 8th in the charts.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Really, you mean sales wise?

I sure hope so. I really want this to be successful, since I'm pretty sure Fantasy Life 2 is inevitable. I want the series to take off in the English markets too.

I'm not sure how many sales it equates to, but it came in at 8th in the charts.

Yep, sales wise. 8th place with the debut of FIFA that took the 4 firsts places (1-4); don't know about actual copies, but I'd say that it is a decent debut for a new portable IP.

Linius

Dutch webshop Bol.com is listing an English Guidebook about Fantasy Life which should release at the same time as the American version of the game.

It's pretty damn pricey though. I'd surely buy a guidebook for a normal price (like 20 euros or something). Even though I hardly use them I'd love to have some in my collection. Also got the Prima guide for New Leaf for example. Nice little book.

Linius

I'm already happy with 1000 dosh for a fire golem :p

I'm almost at 80.000 dosh but I don't spend much really. No big purchases yet.

ramyeon

Save your money early on. There are some big expenses as you progress. The houses for example, as well as stuff like the items sold at Life Shops for mastering a Life (Bought a 26,000 Dosh Pickaxe and a 17,000 Dosh Rod today). Anywhere you can craft instead of purchase (Weapons, armour), do it haha.

JordanKZ

Buying armour? what is this :p

It's what us crazy people do who want to fight the insane bosses.

Btw, has anyone actually finished the runner plant (I think its called runner plant) request? I apparently managed to find one at some point, but I've never been able to find anymore. I apparently need five of them.

Top Bottom