• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

I watched Linandko video about this game the week before release.
It's the japanese version but they explain absolutely everything.
Yeah, their videos are usually pretty good. I watched some of their FL stuff, and a lot of the New Leaf videos beforehand.

It's mostly because I don't have the game yet so I'm a bit bitter, but it still drives me crazy to see others doing public playthroughs is such a haphazard manner.

Game: "Please go to the castle."
Player: "WHERE DO I GO???" *wonders around aimlessly for 15 minutes.*

Game: "You can now choose a bonus."
Player: "I CAN'T UNLOCK ANY BONUSES!!!"

Game: "Please follow the red arrow."
*runs in the opposite direction*

@_@

Lanrutcon

Can I just say, Tailoring gets kinda annoying. Smithing is super easy to get the mats for, but Tailoring mats gets super weird.

On the topic of NPCs: oh god yes recruit them, guys. Some of them are brick shithouses and some have amazingly destructive abilities. Odin, for example, will fuck shit up and should be taken to every boss fight. Some of them even buff the party!

quabba

The requirement to become legendary cook are insane! Lvl 15 in all the cooking skills minimum and of course I'll have to cook perfectly the monster fish that I can't fish yet.

That will be hard. :(

Well I guess that's where the cooks pride item will come in handy making those crafting levels go p faster

Kouriozan

Applauses received : 200

Byu86jmCEAAhiiw.jpg

Applauses given : 400

Byu8wQNCIAAULNb.jpg

Got nothing so far :p

Grizzo

So I'm an archer and I fulfilled all of my tasks given by my master and I'm still an adept... It didn't give me enough stars to upgrade my level? What did I miss and what can I do to win those missing stars?

Well, yesterday it was like "I just need to do this" then "Oh, I can do that too"/"I only need one more of that" and suddenly it was 4 AM :lol

no worries! I know how addicting the game can get :D

Lanrutcon

So I'm an archer and I fulfilled all of my tasks given by my master and I'm still an adept... It didn't give me enough stars to upgrade my level? What did I miss and what can I do to win those missing stars?

no worries! I know how addicting the game can get :D

The challenges shown are NOT the only challenges available. Go unlock a new map via the storyline and then massacre everything in it. Bounties and unique monster kills usually have challenges associated with them.

Cerity

Talking to other people in the same life sometimes unlocks new challenges, the ones with question marks over their heads.

Grizzo

The challenges shown are NOT the only challenges available. Go unlock a new map via the storyline and then massacre everything in it. Bounties and unique monster kills usually have challenges associated with them.

I see... I think unlocking some challenges that weren't shown already happened to me before.

But now that I have access to the heart of the creepy forest and killed some pretty tough enemies, I thought that would mean I beat some new challenges but nope, it looks like I didn't. I'll try exploring elsewhere. Thanks for the help!

Talking to other people in the same life sometimes unlocks new challenges, the ones with question marks over their heads.

I still haven't found any NPC challenges that gave me stars... they usually just give me money

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Is it just me or does the UI look ugly to anyone else? It lacks style, and comes off as some mobile game.

I wish I would be more into this game but visually it just isn't interesting me. Which is disappointing because I was excited about it back when it was a DS game, but with the new art style it just isn't doing it at all for me.

Kouriozan

Finally, I did master alchemist today, oh well it was fast :p
Dunno what to do tomorrow but I guess it'll be time to master miner/woodcutter.

ramyeon

I see... I think unlocking some challenges that weren't shown already happened to me before.

But now that I have access to the heart of the creepy forest and killed some pretty tough enemies, I thought that would mean I beat some new challenges but nope, it looks like I didn't. I'll try exploring elsewhere. Thanks for the help!

I still haven't found any NPC challenges that gave me stars... they usually just give me money
They're not NPC requests. Those have "..." above their heads. People related to the life you're doing will get "?" above their heads when you rank up, there's a few of them in each town for each life. Sometimes they give you hints, sometimes items and sometimes they unlock Life challenges for you.

First thing I did today! Man, selling platinum based armour is REALLY good money quick.

image8guvb.jpg

Is it just me or does the UI look ugly to anyone else? It lacks style, and comes off as some mobile game.

I wish I would be more into this game but visually it just isn't interesting me. Which is disappointing because I was excited about it back when it was a DS game, but with the new art style it just isn't doing it at all for me.
It's really cute and colorful in motion. Lots of bright icons.

The item pictures are a nice touch too.

ramyeon

No it doesn't to me, it suits the art style/aesthetic they were going for. Doesn't look cheap at all.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who hasn't had a single street pass on like two years and has no friends with a 3dd would this game still be interesting?

As someone who hasn't had a single street pass on like two years and has no friends with a 3dd would this game still be interesting?
Yeah, you can do 99% of the stuff in the game completely solo. There are a few Bliss quests for having people over, but I think that's about it.

The game was originally totally off-line to begin with anyway.

Grizzo

They're not NPC requests. Those have "..." above their heads. People related to the life you're doing will get "?" above their heads when you rank up, there's a few of them in each town for each life. Sometimes they give you hints, sometimes items and sometimes they unlock Life challenges for you.

First thing I did today! Man, selling platinum based armour is REALLY good money quick.

image8guvb.jpg

Woah didn't know about that! I must have skipped too many walls of text. Thanks for the heads-up ramyeon!

I don't often meet people through Street Pass, but the game is still solid as a single player experience. Plus they're still the online multiplayer if you want to play with other people.

ramyeon

I'm half tempted to go ahead and beat the story asap now. I'm level 35 and now that I've mastered a bunch of Lives I need to unlock new areas and post game stuff to advance them further... It's funny how secondary the story is to my enjoyment of this game haha.

Kouriozan

The NPC that reset your stats also sell various stuff for alchemist at daytime.
Like fire/water/wind/earth mana or all colored jelly. (You need them to make bombs)

MicH

I finally got access to craft gold tools and weapons... And my newly crafted gold frying pan us worse than my current silver one :p it gets pretty hard to craft these - maybe my silver hammer isn't sufficient as the part where you have to hold down A takes FOREVER!

ramyeon

I finally got access to craft gold tools and weapons... And my newly crafted gold frying pan us worse than my current silver one :p it gets pretty hard to craft these - maybe my silver hammer isn't sufficient as the part where you have to hold down A takes FOREVER!
The Gold tools are useless, I skipped them entirely except the ones for challenges.

Kouriozan

I'm at 40 hours now, my playtime finally surpassed my level.
And I still didn't unlock the DLC which have an huge aera, 12 level left I think.
This game is huge.

quabba

I'm at 40 hours now, my playtime finally surpassed my level.
And I still didn't unlock the DLC which have an huge aera, 12 level left I think.
This game is huge.

Stupid real work getting in the road of my fantasy work. I started a couple of new lives last night and I skipped the carpenter quest
i feel dirty
but the master for that job was just annoying and I just wanted to craft a better saw and bow

Grizzo

I'm half tempted to go ahead and beat the story asap now. I'm level 35 and now that I've mastered a bunch of Lives I need to unlock new areas and post game stuff to advance them further... It's funny how secondary the story is to my enjoyment of this game haha.

I gotta say the story really is the weakest part of the game imo. Every chapter is the same: go there, talk to that person, go there, talk to that person, fight, go there, talk talk talk, go there, talk talk talk, solve this little riddle, talk talk talk, go back where you started out, talk talk talk, end of the chapter.

Thankfully the rest of the game is entertaining!

ramyeon

I gotta say the story really is the weakest part of the game imo. Every chapter is the same: go there, talk to that person, go there, talk to that person, fight, go there, talk talk talk, go there, talk talk talk, solve this little riddle, talk talk talk, go back where you started out, talk talk talk, end of the chapter.

Yeah im only doing the story stuff to advance so I can unlock more of the world really.

Anyone caught a Sweet Pastry Fish in Cairo Cove? I can't seem to get one at all, caught heaps of the Bream of Love though :/

Edit: Found one! And now I'm a Hero Angler!

imagehwc4f.jpg

Looks like you get a special armour set for each Life for reaching Hero! This is what I got for Angler (With the Keyblade I forged this morning :p)! Can't wait to see the others!

http://abload.de/img/imagewcfmh.jpg

Unfortunately it's Life specific so you can't use it with other Lives. Gonna take a break now and then get Paladin to Hero rank this afternoon.

Edit 2: Killed Napdragon, got that cool looking Paladin's Sword from the Bounty and it's worse than my Bone Sword lol.

Chaos17

The UI and the art direction is fine for me, I think it match well the cute atmosphere of this game with the music.

This game has an online co-op option if you want to play with people but the game doesn't require you to party online to beat the game or to enjoy it.

At least, it's adorable and silly at the same which make me laugh many time.
Unlike Divinity Original sin where they talk like smartass for nothing, lol.

The NPC that reset your stats also sell various stuff for alchemist at daytime.
Like fire/water/wind/earth mana or all colored jelly. (You need them to make bombs)
Could you tell us how did you unlock this feature, please ?
Is it a Bliss feature for example ?

ramyeon

Could you tell us how did you unlock this feature, please ?
Is it a Bliss feature for example ?
It's post story, I think you have to be level 35 too.

Speaking of which, I lied about taking a break lol.

zlCfzSfrtC8iglLw7X

And got my Crusader set from the King for becoming a Hero Paladin.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSfrv10xuSkfok

This set is nice

Edit: Putting the armour as a link in case people don't wanna see it before getting it.

Probably gonna continue on with the story a bit more to open up the next area and then get Miner up to Hero after that.

Chaos17

It's post story, I think you have to be level 35 too.

Yeah, I just found out on Gamefaq the answer :
Al Maajik town at night. Look for the library looking building. Look for the entrance inside. You will see a book that turns into a "ghost". He sells items in the morning and resets stats at night.

quabba

Edit: Found one! And now I'm a Hero Angler

And got my Crusader set from the King for becoming a Hero Paladin.
Probably gonna continue on with the story a bit more to open up the next area and then get Miner up to Hero after that.

You are blitzing it. I have played pretty much as much as I can since getting it and I'm only just set foot in the second town (Port whatever).

Also you monster for killing napdragon!
i hope you took the princess along and made her kill it with you

Linius

I barely got two expert ranks yesterday and I'm seeing hero ranks already. You guys :p

Gonna expert my miner today hopefully and then I'll pick up carpeting and expert blacksmithing. Once I've done that I'll do another story mission I guess :p

ramyeon

You are blitzing it. I have played pretty much as much as I can since getting it and I'm only just set foot in the second town (Port whatever).

Also you monster for killing napdragon!
i hope you took the princess along and made her kill it with you
Haha yeah I have been playing this pretty much non stop since I got it. Got a bit too much free time on my hands at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't take the Princess haha, felt weird having to kill the Napdragon for a challenge... the worse one is that one of the Paladin challenges is to kill its babies in their nest haha.

Oh yeah and with that....

zlCfzSftGucJiomu_I

And got the Grand Miner's Set for getting there:

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSftH7cBM8zzaB (Spoilers I guess for armour set)

Current Life status:

Paladin - Hero
Miner - Hero
Angler - Hero
Woodcutter - Adept
Blacksmith - Master
Carpenter - Apprentice
Tailor - Adept

Obviously need to put some time into my Crafting Lives... but I think Woodcutter will be my next one to rank up, gonna leave the crafting for last. Especially since I don't have access to a lot of the mats needed for the higher challenges yet.

Up to the sixth story missions now
I believe out of seven?
Pretty keen to get on with it and open up the whole world (And the DLC bonus island since I'll be close to lv50 once I finish I guess).

Linius

Nice going man! Here's my current stats...

Miner - Expert
Angler - Expert
Paladin - Expert
Woodcutter - Adept
Blacksmith - Adept

Lv. 32 // Done three story quests // 27:50 hours

If I can find some time after school I'll get into carpeting then. And moving up to expert blacksmith ain't hard either since I already got enough Porto Puerto Silver to finish the challenges. To become an expert woodcutter and to move on with my other ranks I'll have to go to the last city for all sorts of new trees, fishes and ores. Also revisiting the top of Mount Snow it seems.

And as I predicted, I'm well past Level 35 when I finish the story :p

ramyeon

Nice going man! Here's my current stats...

Miner - Expert
Angler - Expert
Paladin - Expert
Woodcutter - Adept
Blacksmith - Adept

Lv. 32 // Done three story quests // 27:50 hours

If I can find some time after school I'll get into carpeting then. And moving up to expert blacksmith ain't hard either since I already got enough Porto Puerto Silver to finish the challenges. To become an expert woodcutter and to move on with my other ranks I'll have to go to the last city for all sorts of new trees, fishes and ores. Also revisiting the top of Mount Snow it seems.

And as I predicted, I'm well past Level 35 when I finish the story :p
Yeah you should definitely be above 35 by the end if you're 32 now. I'm at 39 already at around 30 hours.

Cerity

yeah dude.... you're smashing it.

I'm at 19 hours played, level 33 and

Expert Miner
Expert Woodcutter
Expert Blacksmith
Expert Mercenary
Adept Carpenter

On my way to starting Tales of Lunares 5 I think.

Carpenter is a bit annoying to get up, the materials delve into whats required by alchs. I often have no idea where to get a few of them.

ramyeon

The good thing is I'm still running into stuff that I just can't handle at my level yet. There are some particularly frightening bosses in the Ruins of the desert that just destroyed my allies as soon as I walked into the room. Pretty crazy. Can't wait to go back and destroy them some day :D

Linius

Oh that sucks. I don't have alchemy skills.

You guys seem to level a lot faster than me btw. Maybe I'm just enjoying the scenery too much lol.

ramyeon

Oh that sucks. I don't have alchemy skills.

You guys seem to level a lot faster than me btw. Maybe I'm just enjoying the scenery too much lol.
A lot of the levels I've got is from doing stuff like crafting, fishing, mining etc. not just fighting. I haven't even touched Alchemy, Cook or Magician yet haha. Might save them to post-game when I can reset my stats since my INT is still at 5.

Cerity

Yep, I definitely get most of my levels from crafting/gathering lol.

Getting 150-200 exp from the rarer materials is cool.

Woah it seems I'm pretty slow!

30 hours played
Level 25
Miner: Adept
Woodcutter: Adept
Carpenter: Adept
Tales of Lunares 2 completed

I'm just having way too much fun exploring ( my dash level is almost 13) and crafting aimlessly.
Today I'll hit the Nautillus cave and become a Blacksmith I think.
Can't wait. I've had the Mt. Snowpeak theme in my head all morning :)

I just met Odin and... please Level 5 let me become a dark knight too!! :O
Fantasy Life 2 yo.

I wonder what Lives will be in that one, perhaps some of the fabled "cut" jobs from this? (Mail Carrier, Fortune Teller, Street Performer, Merchant, Pilot, Farmer, Treasure Hunter & Scholar.) When the game was first imagined, (back in the 2D sprite form), there were apparently 20 jobs planned.

Cerity

03CwAkU.jpg

Oh man, this is just too cute.

Fantasy Life 2 yo.

I wonder what Lives will be in that one, perhaps some of the fabled "cut" jobs from this? (Mail Carrier, Fortune Teller, Street Performer, Merchant, Pilot, Farmer, Treasure Hunter & Scholar.) When the game was first imagined, (back in the 2D sprite form), there were apparently 20 jobs planned.

I really hope that there is a sequel planned for this, so many little things they could adjust to make it amazing. They've got a really solid base to work with.

I really hope that there is a sequel planned for this, so many little things they could adjust to make it amazing. They've got a really solid base to work with.
Well, it was a hit in Japan, and is already off to a good start in Europe, so I imagine a sequel is forthcoming.

The base concept is brilliant in its simplicity, I think they'll have no shortage of improvements to make.

Top Bottom