• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

daydream

Banned
The thought of a second Fantasy Life hadn't even crossed my mind. Make it happen, L-5!

Anyway, I didn't get around to playing yesterday but I'm jumping back in today. Probably gonna take care of a few licence quests first before making some story progress to unlock the third town.

Okay Fantasy Lifers, show off your (in-game) pets! I'm still debating exactly how I'll go, but I'm leaning towards Green Castele Bird/Pink Port Puerto Cat/Dark Blue Origin Island Dragon.
xrvRiXa.png
rtaJEBl.png
59F93UB.png

I might swap the bird & dragon to the pink ones, and go super cutesy...
wOJIlMB.png
i5pdK9T.png

I wanna see some others to help me choose. You can see them all here, but I want to see some screen shots! :D

Also, I heard one of the DLC bonuses is
a saddle to RIDE A GIANT FREAKING CRAB. I HOPE YOU GET TO KEEP HIM/HER/IT.

Linius

Adept carpenter get. Now I need beast hides to make stuff. No idea where to get them.

Gonna be doing a lot of crafting. Maybe pick up alchemist and hunter for a complete crafting and gathering circle.

Cerity

You can farm beast hides in the Ravine on the way to Al Maajik.

They're pretty easy to get tbh, there's usually at least 6-7 Jackals in the area.

Linius

You can farm beast hides in the Ravine on the way to Al Maajik.

They're pretty easy to get tbh, there's usually at least 6-7 Jackals in the area.

I figured as much, need to get into that new area.

Question for you hunters, do you gather more resources if you kills beasts as a hunter? So, is it easier to gather resources as a hunter?

Chaos17

Okay Fantasy Lifers, show off your (in-game) pets! I'm still debating exactly how I'll go, but I'm leaning towards Green Castele Bird/Pink Port Puerto Cat/Dark Blue Origin Island Dragon.
xrvRiXa.png
rtaJEBl.png
59F93UB.png

I might swap the bird & dragon to the pink ones, and go super cutesy...
wOJIlMB.png
i5pdK9T.png

I wanna see some others to help me choose. You can see them all here, but I want to see some screen shots! :D

Also, I heard one of the DLC bonuses is
a saddle to RIDE A GIANT FREAKING CRAB. I HOPE YOU GET TO KEEP HIM/HER/IT.

There're cat and dog npc that you can recruit and they've the same stat as the one you adopt so you may want to adopt bird or dragon instead.

Lanrutcon

Beat the Deathbringer(sp), desert and jungle dinosaurs. Gonna go try the light avatar thing, the sky dragon and then try and coop the ancient ruins bosses.

High level crafts require rare drops :( pewpewpew all day, it seems.

Anyone know what the max skill rank is? could swear I've got some stuff at 12, but that can't be the highest (not even close).

Kuntz

This game induces the same "one more turn" mind disease than civilization.

okay, got more wood. stop
but I have to craft the new tools. then stop
but I have to craft new things with those tools! then stop
then I have to to try those things! then stop!
but then...

/repeat

Kouriozan

but then...

/repeat

Exactly why I'm so addicted.
And it's fun too, doesn't feel like a chore at all.

ramyeon

but then...

/repeat
Pretty much what happens to me every time I play this game. Taking an extended break tonight after being glued to my 3DS all morning haha.

MicH

but then...

/repeat
Yeah, it's horrible! I just can't stop when I've begun playing!

MicH

Poor Curtain Call, it hasn't got played since I started this.
I don't think there's any point in even opening Smash on Friday at this rate.
I am completely skipping Curtain Call and Smash at this point :/ I don't even have time for Fantasy Life (though I can't stop playing :p)! It really sucks.

weekev

Banned
I am really worried now. I have 3 days to get off the crack that is Fantasy Life before a special Sakurai falvoured crack arrives on Friday. I dont think i can beat the habit before then but i need to beat smashbefore Bayonetta launches in 3 weeks.

I am sensing the beginning of a beautiful backlog.

ramyeon

I'm in the same boat. I hadn't touched my 3DS in months... Dusted it off for Smash and got this to kill time but now I don't think I even need to get Smash anymore, at least not right now lol.

Linius

I actually started A Link Between Worlds a few weeks ago. Played it about 2,5 hours. Then bought this and I'm already nearing the 30 hours. Shit is insane. It's third on my most played games now. Only MK7 with 40 hours and New Leaf with 450 hours ahead of this game.

I seriously didn't expect to like it this much.

Hey GAF, so I have been thinking that Fantasy Life, like Animal Crossing, might be a game I want a digital version of, just to always have it available for small sessions. Problem is, my Red XL is full, and frankly, it had never even occurred to me to worry about storage space.

What kind of memory um... card... would you guys recommend? I know, or recall, that the XL takes standard SD cards right? Any good deals on a reasonably large one?

Beyond that, what kinds of issues can I expect to encounter switching the cards out? Its a ridiculous question, I know, but all I have ever heard is how oppressive/obnoxious Nintendo DRM is. Am I going to need to "recover" my account, or anything to transfer my few existing digital items to the new card, or rather, re-download them?

Yeah... just can't go with stock memory anymore. Curtain Call and a few pieces of DLC fills 75% of it, Animal Crossing the rest.

Linius

Hey GAF, so I have been thinking that Fantasy Life, like Animal Crossing, might be a game I want a digital version of, just to always have it available for small sessions. Problem is, my Red XL is full, and frankly, it had never even occurred to me to worry about storage space.

What kind of memory um... card... would you guys recommend? I know, or recall, that the XL takes standard SD cards right? Any good deals on a reasonably large one?

Beyond that, what kinds of issues can I expect to encounter switching the cards out? Its a ridiculous question, I know, but all I have ever heard is how oppressive/obnoxious Nintendo DRM is. Am I going to need to "recover" my account, or anything to transfer my few existing digital items to the new card, or rather, re-download them?

Yeah... just can't go with stock memory anymore. Curtain Call and a few pieces of DLC fills 75% of it, Animal Crossing the rest.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131187758&postcount=149

Just read this post, nothing more to it. Went to a 16GB SD card (don't need that much because I prefer physical) and everything still works.

Mekere

I tried another fight with the last fish and lost once again. :( The path to the legendary angler is still long it seems...

Kouriozan

Same for me, I even thought of returning Curtain Call at this point but FF music is just great.
Really didn't expect Fantasy Life to eat all my gaming time. I still play Hyrule Warriors a bit each day though.
So glad Level 5 finally localized it, so worth it, hoping for a sequel at some point too, maybe including the cancelled job like student or dancer.

ubiblu

This game is crazy addictive. Put seven hours in yesterday and gf was not impressed. Gotten 7 classes to Apprentice and Hunter to Adept. Only visited the main city and some of the surrounding grassland / cliffs. Hopefully plenty more to go!

Robin64

Oh yeah.. Smash.. Forgot I'd got that coming.
Guess I'll give it a go, but my heart belongs to another game right now.

I actually started A Link Between Worlds a few weeks ago. Played it about 2,5 hours. Then bought this and I'm already nearing the 30 hours. Shit is insane. It's third on my most played games now. Only MK7 with 40 hours and New Leaf with 450 hours ahead of this game.

I seriously didn't expect to like it this much.

Wow this makes me feel a little bad... I have 8 (or 9...?) games that have 100+ hours on Activity Log.
Plus my Animal Crossing time is longer than yours.
Oh man.
:(

Hey GAF, so I have been thinking that Fantasy Life, like Animal Crossing, might be a game I want a digital version of, just to always have it available for small sessions.
Fantasy Life
small sessions.

Good luck with that!
:p

Cerity

Yeah, was planning to get smash... plans changed after this. I think I'm set for october just on fantasy life haha.

I wish they'd show or explain more on the combo's, I've been trying all evening to get the timing for the expert cross cut combo for merc down but I just can't get it. In about an hour to an hour and a half I managed to pull it off maybe 4-5 times :(

I'm definitely set for the rest of the year with this, Curtain Call and Smash.
Persona and Pokemon will have to wait until next year, provided Monster Hunter 4 doesn't release too early on, otherwise that will get ALL of my time.

I wonder what kind of playtimes Japanese players logged?
Maxing all classes, levels and doing all sub-quests seems like it will take a looong time (in the best way possible!)
I'm so happy we got this game!

Linius

Wow this makes me feel a little bad... I have 8 (or 9...?) games that have 100+ hours on Activity Log.
Plus my Animal Crossing time is longer than yours.
Oh man.
:(

I just don't game that much anymore. Before this I only finished The Wolf Among Us and South Park The stick of Truth this year. But a simple game like this which is comfortable to play can get me hooked for real.

I'm definitely set for the rest of the year with this, Curtain Call and Smash.
Persona and Pokemon will have to wait until next year, provided Monster Hunter 4 doesn't release too early on, otherwise that will get ALL of my time.

I wonder what kind of playtimes Japanese players logged?
Maxing all classes, levels and doing all sub-quests seems like it will take a looong time (in the best way possible!)
I'm so happy we got this game!

A mate of mine has the American copy, link version. He only logged about 65 hours. He does have four villas and quite a bit of dosh though. Just didn't max out every life I guess.

Kouriozan

Yeah, was planning to get smash... plans changed after this. I think I'm set for october just on fantasy life haha.

I wish they'd show or explain more on the combo's, I've been trying all evening to get the timing for the expert cross cut combo for merc down but I just can't get it. In about an hour to an hour and a half I managed to pull it off maybe 4-5 times :(
At least for hunter it's easy.
3x A for normal combo attack, press A just after to jump then you have 2 choice.
Either you press A in the air for the 3 arrows attack, or you wait until you touch the ground and immediatly press A for a piercing arrow.
Maybe there is more attack as I'm just expert.

Chaos17

Can't wait to access the DLC but there is still so much to do without it, it's really a nice surprise.

Yes and that make me wonder if the reviewers reached the post game because the difficuly begin to pick up where I'm at the moment, the desert.
I mean, before I didn't need any regen HP potion, the ennemies didn't do a lot of damage and they didn't really had any crowd control skills. Now, that's different I need panacea to cure paralyse for example.

So definitly for me the game is begining to open up and start to pick up the difficulty. Of course, I don't expect anything deadly on trash mobs, hahaha.

Linius

Now I'm focusing on my crafting so much I start to notice how many different materials there are to actually make stuff. Gonna do an up and down Mt. Snow now as an Angler to complete some stuff but also to collect all the fleece and claws etc. I come across.

It's still a bit hard to figure out where everything comes from too. Maybe it's an idea to create a list for future reference. A bit like this...

Wolves/Coyetes (East Grassy Plains) -> Animal Hide

For stuff like this I'd wish there was a wiki laying down which animal, flower, tree etc. you can find in which area and how their chain of product works. For example you also have these worms, you can gather silk thread from them. And as a tailor you can make silk from that. So there are actually three steps to make silk for your own. There are also a lot of different claws and fangs I've noticed but I didn't keep track which animals gave me what. There's a pretty deep chain of crafting and gathering in this game.

Or you just become rich and buy all the ingredients you need :p

Kouriozan

Just crafted a mole pickaxe, looks funny, let's see if it's strong.
*absolutely destroy the dragon rock in lava cave*
Wow! It's helpful to be Master Blacksmith before Miner :lol
But..but.. where? I never saw any :-(
Grocery store, bag icon on the map.

Mekere

I checked all of them, and except if I don't understand the description I don't have anything that actually regenerate my SP over time, I only have access to:
  • HP potion
  • Hi-HP potion
  • Healing powder
  • SP potion
  • Hi-SP potion
  • Energy powder
  • Poison/stun/sleep antidote
  • Panacea
  • Life cure
The usual mana/life potions that doesn't suits my need because you can't use them while fishing.

Kouriozan

I'm afraid it don't exist then.
There is a ring to exchange with Lunares coin that increase SP regen but it's gonna take a while to get it.
Hmm, maybe playing coop with someone using SP powder to regenerate the team's SP.

Edit : Master Miner licence get, the song is funny.

Linius

iOFybBKHAGcuC.JPG
ibpjCbdV3CFxNO.JPG

My current state of events. It's time to do another story quest tonight after football. The road to Al Majaak (?) is already open of course but I'd rather get in there with the story because I need to get moving at some point innit. Lots of quests for my jobs are taking me there anyways at the moment. And it opens up more resources for my crafting jobs too. Also almost back at the amount of dosh I had before. So that's fine.

;__; everyone's such a higher level than me XD

So has any GAFers tried multiplayer with anyone else? Good? Anything feeling restricting? Gonna try it out with my cousin when he gets his 3DS.

Top Bottom