• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Kuntz

Fisherman/cook all the way!

It's nice how I find the same gaffers in every 3DS thread I read.

Good taste, people!

daxy

Haven't really read up too much on this game, but after having checked out the OT I feel like I need this really badly!

Robin64

For me this is the ultimate game to relax with on the couch of a winter evening, when the dark and cold is shut outside and you're all snug inside with a warm drink and a blanket.

Kouriozan

I loved switching classes and learning everything, then joining my brother to help him with some quest, in Dragon Quest IX.
I have a strong feeling I'll get the same enjoyment with this game, and it got online too!

Meffer

I'm thinking of either being a magician, blacksmith or paladin first. It's like choosing which starter Pokemon to pick lol.
Oh and miner too.

Salsa

im looking forward to getting it eventually but I burned my money with KI + Fire Emblem on the eshop sales and what I have left is for smash bros :(

MicH

I could see myself going Blacksmith > Alchemist > magician or something like that. I really liked what they said when they talked about the Alchemist class on the Treehouse Live. It sounds like a real interesting class. So we know how the classes affect each other - if they do that?

EDIT I'm an idiot, it's right there in the OP. Or, at least, two examples. Does anyone know how the rest of the classes affect each other?

Robin64

EDIT I'm an idiot, it's right there in the OP. Or, at least, two examples. Does anyone know how the rest of the classes affect each other?

So we have the two in the OP as you say, and there's also this one.

I18zVx6.jpg

MicH

So we have the two in the OP as you say, and there's also this one.

I18zVx6.jpg
That's awesome! I really like this; and I really like how it's a circle and not a chain, so you can start wherever you want. It also gives you an incentive to go back to a class once you've mastered/played with other classes in the circle, so you can do even better. Really cool

Robin64

They probably haven't done a fourth example loop because it doesn't really work. There's not another gatherer in the ones left, for example. Alchemists just use items gathered from monsters and other gathering classes to make potions.

And really, the loops they have shown are just examples. The Blacksmith feeds the Paladin in their image, but it's also essential for feeding the Mercenary. Similarly, food is good for any combat class.

MicH

They probably haven't done a fourth example loop because it doesn't really work. There's not another gatherer in the ones left, for example. Alchemists just use items gathered from monsters and other gathering classes to make potions.

And really, the loops they have shown are just examples. The Blacksmith feeds the Paladin in their image, but it's also essential for feeding the Mercenary. Similarly, food is good for any combat class.
Oh yeah, you're probably right about that. It seems the gathering classes are good to start with, so you can advance with other classes that can use and refine the materials. Then they can feed the fighters with whatever they need (food, weapons etc) who can clear new areas for the gatherers.

I can't wait to see the possibilities in this game. I hope there's a lot and that you can craft a lot of crazy stuff

Robin64

Amazing how, once again, the 3DS has been my console of the year. Heck, just these three weeks are Curtain Call, Fantasy Life and Smash Bros.

But really, out of those, this game is my most looked forward to. I need a real timesink like this again to replace the hole that not playing Animal Crossing anymore left.

daydream

Banned

Hm, sure. Although I don't think it's totally out of the question, the Tailor could make some neat robes and whatnot. But you're right, it's probably more involved than that and in the end, all the classes will probably end up working together somehow. Game should've been called 'Economy Life', haha.

Robin64

Oh yeah, tailor makes robes for sure, but there's no class that gathers cloth, like. Monsters can drop it, so that's from the combat classes.

Tailors also make leather outfits for the Hunter and also just nice outfits for everyone, such a tuxedos.

daydream

Banned
Well, Magician *is* a combat class so that'd be a way to get cloth, no? I guess it'd be a bit of a weird loop since Magician would be responsible for bringing cloth to the Tailor and mushrooms/herbs/etc. to the Alchemist.

I mean, I'm just speculating, but I would expect it to work like this: *Multiple* classes can obtain the same kinds of resources through different means but only *unique* classes can make a specific thing out of those resources. And honestly, that'd only make sense since you wouldn't have to be switching around all the time, just for the manufacturing part.

Zweizer

Banned
Anyone can sell me on this game? I kinda like the aspect of life simulation/dungeon crawling mix but I don't realy know what to expect from Level-5, and DQ9 felt rather bland.

Kouriozan

Carpenter make Magician staves, so I'll need to rank up that job a little too.
I need a plan to distribute my stat points, I read that it's not advised to put everything in just one stat.

Robin64

Hmm. Read this from someone who played through the JP version.

The recommendation to pump points into luck is due to the effect that luck has.
- increase in critical rate
- increase in rare drops from mob
- increase in rare mats from chopping/mining/fishing
- increase in rate of obtaining HQ in crafting

I too had the same dilemma of not knowing what to pump into when i started this game until i read a few recommendations of maxing luck asap.

I may or may not do that, I don't know yet, heh. But it sounds like luck benefits every class in neat ways.

Also, respeccing isn't too bad, you just need to have beaten the story and have a bit of cash.

daydream

Banned
New Leaf, Rune Factory 4, and now Fantasy Life. 3DS is the best platform for escapism sim software ever.

REAL LIFE CAN SHULK A DUCK

Europe is also finally getting Disney Magical World in October. Wish at least one 3DS game from Sept/Oct had come out in August, but sadly, no such luck.

Top Bottom