• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Frogstep

How the hell did I not see this OT sooner, lol. Anyway, nice work on the thread Samurai! Looking forward to playing with some of you guys next month. Next month... why do we have to wait till next month? D:

Meffer

Anyone can sell me on this game? I kinda like the aspect of life simulation/dungeon crawling mix but I don't realy know what to expect from Level-5, and DQ9 felt rather bland.

You can follow your own pace. And Level5 games are the most polished around. They just feel right, from the sound effects and down to all the details. This game oozes with charm. If you grow tired of one Life you can switch to another. And unlike DQ9, this game is much bigger and is more interactive. And the combat is something like Zelda (you lock on and strafe around) but with some RPG stuff in it like charging attacks, doing combos and Special attacks.

Velcro Fly

Need to figure out where to preorder. I need this game on a release day so GameStop is probably my only hope. I don't want a gutted copy though but they normally do not gut when I preorder there.

Meffer

Need to figure out where to preorder. I need this game on a release day so GameStop is probably my only hope. I don't want a gutted copy though but they normally do not gut when I preorder there.

When preordering from GameStop, they don't gut preordered copies. I used to work at one.

Didn't have a special site that updated your actions in game?
Yes, but at this point I think it's safe to assume they are not bringing it over, they would have mentioned it by now.

I know you can take screenshots at any time (saved to the SD Card), I'm just wondering if we will be able to post them on Miiverse.

atbigelow

Absolutely getting this when it hits the US. Wish it was somehow 60 FPS. :/

EDIT: Just loaded up the recent Treehouse Live to this. G'damn I love how this game looks.

EDIT 2: What is the performance like for those that have played? Is it pretty locked at 30 FPS?

prateeko

I've been largely out of the loop but this game looks fantastic. Are there any pre-order bonuses anywhere? Harvest Moon spoiled me with its plushies over the years (I know, I know - not similar games but the feeling you get when you play them is similar for me)

Meffer

I've been largely out of the loop but this game looks fantastic. Are there any pre-order bonuses anywhere? Harvest Moon spoiled me with its plushies over the years (I know, I know - not similar games but the feeling you get when you play them is similar for me)

Not that I know of. At least here in the States anyway. Though I heard somewhere in EU you get stickers.... which really isn't that great.

Meffer

EDIT: Just loaded up the recent Treehouse Live to this. G'damn I love how this game looks.

EDIT 2: What is the performance like for those that have played? Is it pretty locked at 30 FPS?

I think it's 30fps. Though I don't think it matters with this type of game anyway.

Linius

Now I need to look up what Disney Magical World is because it keeps being mentioned. It better not be a good game ;)

Tenck

This is the game I was most interested at E3 that wasn't named Super Smash Bros. Wish it was out sooner in NA. I would have settled for an eShop release before the game ships out here ;-;

The game is really fluid for the most part; it has slow-downs sometimes, though, in particular in big areas and when there are many elements on screen.

quabba

Hmm looking at a couple of videos I couldn't see an xp bar showing if you are close to levelling up your life. That's a bit of a pet peeve but maybe I was just missing something obvious.

Robin64

Oddly enough, the other game I'm mainly playing at the moment is just like Fantasy Life.

You have various jobs, each of which level up independently, and there are jobs for gathering, crafting and fighting. It's of benefit to become a good miner so you can make good armor with the armorsmith which then one of your combat classes can wear, for example. Also, the crafting jobs can make furniture for your house which you can display however you want. Moreover, as well as a big central story, each job has its own story with unique quests and events.

Also it has Fantasy in the name.

Yeah, I do love Final Fantasy XIV. :)

Pikma

Banned
kinda off topic kinda not, but man. Disney Magical World looks really awesome, and I don't even like Disney that much. Will probably get it one of these days

Kouriozan

Hmm looking at a couple of videos I couldn't see an xp bar showing if you are close to levelling up your life. That's a bit of a pet peeve but maybe I was just missing something obvious.
You get your job exp with stars, to get stars you must do some job related task like "make this stuff" for crafting job.
Then you talk to your Master to see if you ranked up or not.
You can see how much stars your have anytime in the menu along with the challenges to get them, probably showing what you completed too so a quick math will tell your if you'll rank up.

Linius

kinda off topic kinda not, but man. Disney Magical World looks really awesome, and I don't even like Disney that much. Will probably get it one of these days

It does look very interesting indeed sadly. I can't afford to spend so much time. Juggling Fantasy Life, Smash and Pokémon will be hard enough.

Anyways, bought a 16GB SD card. Got enough blocks for a couple of games now.

quabba

You get your job exp with stars, to get stars you must do some job related task like "make this stuff" for crafting job.
Then you talk to your Master to see if you ranked up or not.
You can see how much stars your have anytime in the menu along with the challenges to get them, probably showing what you completed too so a quick math will tell your if you'll rank up.

Oh ok how does the xp work when you kill something/mine a rock/catch a fish work? Is there a character level separate to job levels or something?

Kouriozan

Amazon.fr is preparing my game, just like last week with FF and Hyrule Warriors, so expecting Day -1.

Oh ok how does the xp work when you kill something/mine a rock/catch a fish work? Is there a character level separate to job levels or something?

Yes, there is a separate character level, up to 200.

Robin64

Was going to preorder from ShopTo and get it early, but I won't have any money until Friday. Sad times. :(

Will probably just get the GAME digital code in that case. DLC I will wait until I've beaten the game before thinking about, given you can't activate it before then anyway.

Grampasso

Will DLC be available day 1? I currently have 10€ credit on Nintendo eShop so I was thinking about getting the physical copy and buy the DLC through my credit, so I'll also spare space on my SD
then I'll melt the card inside my 3DS

Robin64

Will DLC be available day 1? I currently have 10€ credit on Nintendo eShop so I was thinking about getting the physical copy and buy the DLC through my credit, so I'll also spare space on my SD
then I'll melt the card inside my 3DS

Yep, it goes up when the game does.

Keep in mind you need to finish the game before you can turn it on.

Kuntz

Be careful if you buy DLC day one, you'll be unable to play with no-DLC people, and you still have to beat the game to unlock the content.
All in all it's not a good idea.

Also now we can't check who defriended your 3ds (swapnote we miss you) I think it's time to get some new friends for this game (and theatrythm).

Robin64

Be careful if you buy DLC day one, you'll be unable to play with no-DLC people, and you still have to beat the game to unlock the content.

Also now we can't check who defriended your 3ds (swapnote we miss you) I think it's time to get some new friends for this game (and theatrythm).

I've been going by the "Last online", and if it's blank I assume they removed me a while ago.

But some of the DLC is stuff you should have access to at the start of the game. (Customization parts, pet birds.) I need to know if those are locked away too, or if you can get those when you usually would.

Grampasso

Indeed, maybe we should just decide to buy it altogether at the same time so we know that we can go on playing with at least a group of people, like set a date from when will be safe to buy and activate it.

Zweizer

Banned
You can follow your own pace. And Level5 games are the most polished around. They just feel right, from the sound effects and down to all the details. This game oozes with charm. If you grow tired of one Life you can switch to another. And unlike DQ9, this game is much bigger and is more interactive. And the combat is something like Zelda (you lock on and strafe around) but with some RPG stuff in it like charging attacks, doing combos and Special attacks.

Thanks! Sounds good. I'll be getting it then.

TheMoon

When preordering from GameStop, they don't gut preordered copies. I used to work at one.

You may have just made the single best point as to why pre-ordering isn't bad lol.

Honestly, I don't know. What little I played from my friend's Japanese copy I didn't notice the fps. Does anybody else know what it is?

There's no reason for it to be 60fps. If you're lucky it's 60 in 2D but definitely not in 3D.

At least you guys are able to play Rune factory 4...
Thats still not available in eu, and i doubt they bring it here...

There's nothing to doubt. They made it very very clear it is never coming over because, well, the developer doesn't exist anymore. Nothing to speculate there, that's been known for, what, a year? And yea it sucks. Import or try to forget about it. :(

Robin64

But some of the DLC is stuff you should have access to at the start of the game. (Customization parts, pet birds.) I need to know if those are locked away too, or if you can get those when you usually would.

You can't activate the DLC at all until certain conditions are met, one of which is beating the main scenario.

You can't activate the DLC at all until certain conditions are met, one of which is beating the main scenario.
I know that's what the site says, but I'm not sure if that's actually true. In the Japanese version, the parts of the DLC I mentioned are available from the get go. I think the "activation" may just be in reference to the post-game content. (The new location, dragons, etc.) The character customization parts, for example, don't make much sense to unlock after you beat the main game. And the pet birds are supposed to be available in the first few towns.

That's why I want to know how it's actually handled in this version.

Robin64

Interesting. So aspects of the DLC will be (let's assume) present from the get-go, which is why people with and without the DLC can't play together. It's already put some new content into the base game.

But then Origin Island, the bulk of the DLC, requires activation once the story is finished.

This kinda makes sense.

Grampasso

Mmmh at this point I'd buy it from the get go knowing some things will be already unlocked. Should we write down the people in the 2 groups? (DLC and no DLC) That way "friend spots" only for this game won't be wasted

Mmmh at this point I'd buy it from the get go knowing some things will be already unlocked. Should we write down the people in the 2 groups? (DLC and no DLC) That way "friend spots" only for this game won't be wasted
I'm just assuming that certain portions of the content will be available from the start, I don't know for sure. It's the most logical implementation of the DLC, but Nintendo isn't always logical.

It would be nice to have two people (one buying the DLC at the start, and one who isn't) both compare notes to see what's what. It should be pretty easy to tell right away by comparing the character creation parts, and seeing if they can get a pet bird in the first town. (Once they unlock pets with Bliss Points.) Another aspect is friendship building with party members. You'd think/hope that would also be available from the start.

Another part of Link! that hasn't been mentioned anywhere is the ability to recruit the 12 different job masters as party members. I'm wondering if this part has also been integrated into the base game (along with multiplayer), as it's not mentioned on the DLC page.

But really, is there anyone who's getting this game that's truly not planning on getting the DLC? I feel like that's depriving yourself of quite a large portion of the game...

Top Bottom